Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tales of Woe posted:

meiji gekken was more competent than i expected for an abandoned crunchyroll original™. compares unfavorably to revenger though for something set in roughly the same time period and genre

i tried it and expected it to be worse but this season's pretty stacked with stuff i want to watch and i don't think it was good enough to hang

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bravern Ep1: So the eponymous robot is totally evil, right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How could you possibly believe that about robot man named Bravern.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
obari is not that kind of mecha director

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the immediate joke of bravern is pretty obviously just playing with the contrast between the relatively grounded and serious world the existing cast are used to with bravern being a guy straight out of, a braves series show. he's an extremely earnest funny robot man crashing into someone else's mecha anime to save them from a threat they couldn't possibly protect themselves from otherwise. any twist about him being evil would be silly, bravern's sudden appearance and isami's reaction is more setting up how the show is going to explore the clash of these different ends of mecha and how the characters respond to it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 15, 2024

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

a sign of affection continues to majorly own for much the same reasons as last week. the scene where oushi and yuki talk in sign language is such a burner - it's a really cool piece of animation and they effectively use the way oushi talks in sign to convey a lot about his character

if you're into shoujo romance and you're not on this one yet you're missing out, it's absolutely fantastic and easily my favorite show of the season so far

the body language in general in this show is fascinating. i really like paying attention to peoples movements when they are out of yuki's line of sight, because it ends up creating these very personal moments between the viewer and the character. kind of like a physical monologue i guess

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

One thing that sign of affection emphasis that I don’t see in other shows with sign language is the use of mouth movements with the signing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/bangbravern/status/1746729849019056187?t=9d1Tcnx1s1V3-fB-NaQLdQ&s=19

Guys, I think Bravern might have a crush on Isami.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the direction continues to be good in sign of affection. i like how the outdoor scenes are a bunch of shots pointed at the sky mixed in with lingering moments of giant spaces surrounding tiny bodies. dear itsuomi, please help yuki find this big beautiful world.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Solo Leveling is trash that was made just for me. It's my trash and I love it.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Villainess lvl 99 has that in common with Bravern in that they both pull a funny little trick on their audience but have their trick be extremely obvious from the title alone.

Oh well no matter I had fun and will be watching them.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Waffleman_ posted:

Is Bang Bravern the first anime to mention the United States Space Force

There’s a non-zero chance Trump got the idea from late 80s Saturday morning cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKZfwih-3dM

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

GateOfD posted:

aww nooo Sign of Affection ep2
The childhood friend!! Sorry dude, you were born into a cursed role. My heart is always with the childhood friend character.

Was wondering what degree of deafness the main character has, so glad it clarified that. Was wondering if the hearing aids were cosmetic and just to easily let people around her identify that she's hearing impaired since she has no problem openly showing them. Since some people can be self-conscious of them.

Really loving all the characters in the show.

I feel like there's a common dynamic that disabled people experience being illustrated here. Like, I do also feel for the childhood friend, but the way he seems to expect Yuki not to have a life (or not to go to college, specifically, in this case) because of her disability is a lovely way that able people treat the disabled all too commonly. It shows how he devalues her agency because of her disability. It's not like Itsuomi's interactions with Yuki are entirely unproblematic - the whole hand on head thing feels p weird - but it seems like he's trying to meet her where she's at without denying her full personhood. He doesn't have experience and is making some missteps, but the thrust of his intent is obvious. Idk how things will develop because of course Itsuomi could end up narrowing Yuki's world instead of expanding it. But expanding her world is what she deserves - that it's narrow isn't an inevitability, it's a function of an ableist society which has at least one representative in the childhood friend who learned sign language but seems to use it primarily to hold Yuki back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the head patting is a bit weird but he seems like the kind of guy whos just like that in general. he ties it into her deafness a bit but he also seems like the kinda guy whos sort of forward and acts without really thinking, its an illustration that he isnt really treating her differently.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

More bothered by how she's decided she's in love after briefly meeting like three times and exchanging some text messages than the headpats lol like I get it but eh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shes a college girl who was sheltered up until getting to college thats the most humanistic writing ive ever seen

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1746879908721177031

The new Mari Okada movie is out now!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New episode of Torture Princess today, right? I think I'll give it a three episode trial to see if they can sustain the joke or the animation quality of her mental breakdowns.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1746827091662836132?t=GADps1_RL0M36mouNEHZLQ&s=19

Oh?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 15, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

More bothered by how she's decided she's in love after briefly meeting like three times and exchanging some text messages than the headpats lol like I get it but eh.

at least she's actually made a distinction of a crush or love at first.

versus high school romance where they all go "its love" right away. And come on, look at the guy. He has supermodel looks (so does everyone in this show..) and he travels all over the place often so probably has some money. Its a prime catch.

Wondering where the romance part of her friend and her cousin is gonna go. (I guess its like 2nd cousin or something..)

And I'm all for headpats still being alive in 2024.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Finished Ishura ep2
Looks like we're gonna get a bunch of self-contained episodic tales of these OP as hell heroes, until they all gather at this tournament.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay the demon and angel show is pretty funny

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, this is just wall to wall gags. Absolutely not taking the premise seriously.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Still enjoying It's Time for "Torture". The first real "torture" in the series. I do like the enhancements they've been making. Many of the jokes are fundamentally the same between torturers but it's fun and light and sometimes that's all that's needed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Torture Princess showing off some of the best action animation this season

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently someone has not only fansubbed the Sailor Moon Cosmos movies but also combined them together into one. You can find it in the usual places

Still no word on when it’s going to hit the US legitimately though (hell, last I checked we still haven’t even officially gotten the Gridman movie in the west yet)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 15, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Stupid Angel Dances with the Devil? yes, it's a very silly romcom that sometimes has fighting in it. it will have a massive, dramatic, life or death battle and then go right back to stupid gags(usually including the villain who was just defeated) right after.

did it have any spongebobification, or are they erring on the side of legal caution and not having random moments of Amane turning into Literally Just Spongebob In A Skirt

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Captain Invictus posted:

Stupid Angel Dances with the Devil? yes, it's a very silly romcom that sometimes has fighting in it. it will have a massive, dramatic, life or death battle and then go right back to stupid gags(usually including the villain who was just defeated) right after.

did it have any spongebobification, or are they erring on the side of legal caution and not having random moments of Amane turning into Literally Just Spongebob In A Skirt

Hang on you got any pics of this? Googling "Stupid Angel Dances with the Devil Spongebob" is giving me nothing.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hang on you got any pics of this? Googling "Stupid Angel Dances with the Devil Spongebob" is giving me nothing.

it's the scene where she reacts to Akutsu picking up the stack of papers. Changed it to be less Spongebob in the anime

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Anyone else watching High Card? I started watching it more as a substitute for Bungou Stray Dogs than because of its actual merit, but by now I'm actually pretty interested in it. I like that Chris is actually facing consequences for the X-Hand thing.

There were hints fairly early on that Theodore and the royal family aren't really good guys, which are getting more and more overt. I'm curious what that will lead to in the end; will Fourlandia become a republic?

I'm a little curious if there's going to be a third season; even taking into account the cards involved in the manga (and the LNs that will probably never get translated), there's still a lot of cards unrevealed.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 15, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Silver2195 posted:

Anyone else watching High Card? I started watching it more as a substitute for Bungou Stray Dogs than because of its actual merit, but by now I'm actually pretty interested in it. I like that Chris is actually facing consequences for the X-Hand thing. I'm a little curious if there's going to be a third season; even taking into account the cards involved in the manga (and the LNs that will probably never get translated), there's still a lot of cards unrevealed.

i gave up on high card because i thought it was way more fun when it was just goofy heist hijinks like the cruise ship episode and when they tried adding in dramatic stakes it ended up not working for me at all

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it needs to be either much more clever or much more stupid. as is, it's in a perpetual unsatisfying middle ground.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RubberLuffy posted:

it's the scene where she reacts to Akutsu picking up the stack of papers. Changed it to be less Spongebob in the anime

Oh my God

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it needs to be either much more clever or much more stupid. as is, it's in a perpetual unsatisfying middle ground.

the early episodes were just the right amount of stupid, but then they skipped out on an introduction episode for the best character and also added a bunch of bad stakes. I might go back to it later in the season, but Bucchigiri is filling a similar niche much more effectively at the moment

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's first cour ran against Buddy daddies which does the concept of balancing serious/funny/silly way better and has a way better pay off

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Second episode of Torture Princess was also amusing. The more I see the more it feels like the Third Imperial Legion were the aggressors against a relatively benign Hellhorde and the princess did her fighting more out of obligation than desire.

It's got good comedic timing and animation which help carry the jokes even when you see the setup coming a mile away. Ex sitting in a massage chair and hearing his voice vibrate was a good bit.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

SlowBloke posted:

Mashle S2 ED and OP are kinda poo poo, they aren't as fun and memorable as S1.

:wrong:

OP is fire

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

yeah the OP is rad, but the last ED was just perfect and this one doesn't even give lemon a car (yellow old vw beetle imo)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Jet0o/status/1746973781485068756?t=HFqnoyZsQGgFFNWu4CRVGw&s=19

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

So it's an anime version of "The Story of O?" After that first episode of "Gushing Over Magical Girls," I could see them trying it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
:pwn: