Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Has Sukuna been laughing at any of the people he's killed recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

Has Sukuna been laughing at any of the people he's killed recently?

During the fight he does, but he tends to be respectful once he wins.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Respectful" is not how I would describe "haha, thanks I had fun for a bit there."

Gojo was capable of a knockout blow but never actually landed it, and even with all that I don't think sukuna genuinely gives a poo poo. He's playing with toys, and he just hopes they do something cool before they break.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I just now realized that stipulation calls for Geto and not Kenjaku.

When the chapter first came out, I think that’s where I started thinking that the ending is likely gonna have bad outcome for the characters.

The Culling game only ends if everyone but those three are dead, which means it propagates if they die and everyone survives, plus they get can no longer add any new rules because he closed it off.

I think this ends with Tengen being some sort of malevolent being at the end of the series or they decide they have to put down the barriers, causing chaos for the character nature world as cursed energy is no longer specifically focused in Japan anymore.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It was an interview with the editor where they say that the next 5 chapters are going to be pretty shocking but nothing actually was mentioned on their content

Gojo is so back

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

I just now realized that stipulation calls for Geto and not Kenjaku.

The Culling Game seems to identify based on body rather than soul, so it is why stipulation calls for "Megumi Fushiguro" and not "Sukuna".

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Shinjobi posted:

"Respectful" is not how I would describe "haha, thanks I had fun for a bit there."

Gojo was capable of a knockout blow but never actually landed it, and even with all that I don't think sukuna genuinely gives a poo poo. He's playing with toys, and he just hopes they do something cool before they break.

With the exception of Gojo and maybe Yuta, Sukuna could probably wipe the entire gang without even using his CT if he wanted to.

Heck, he probably didn’t even need to use dismantle against Kashimo. He just wanted to show off.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Geto vs sukuna would have been a cool fight to see at the very least

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Flair posted:

The Culling Game seems to identify based on body rather than soul, so it is why stipulation calls for "Megumi Fushiguro" and not "Sukuna".

Just bring another Megumi Fushiguro to the drat place (go to the civil registry if required) and kick his rear end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think all the sorcerers just need to get into gaming. Quit all this dangerous nonsense and play some Final Fantasy 7 Remake or Fortnite.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chapter owned imo. Most likely HIguruma is dead but maybe he just needs a big sleep and he'll be right as rain. Sukuna cutting his hand off transitioning into the sword pass was really cool. What Higuruma said about curses growing stronger when they die I assumed was about Sukuna and that the sword killing him might to be the goal or something. I think probably the read they are referring to his CT is more likely. I wonder if them having the single finger means they can nuke Sukuna here and it not count as death though if that was a concern.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was reading the Hakari and Kashimo fight again now that the official volume released. It's very funny that I was so invested in understanding exactly how Hakari's powers worked and was looking up pachinko means. Every single detail seemed to just raise a bunch of new questions on the exact mechanics. Gege didn't have this problem lol

I fell like 20 pages behind so apologies if someone posted these already

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i wonder how they're going to adapt that in a satisfying way for the anime. Just speed through a massive explanation?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

UnderFreddy posted:

i wonder how they're going to adapt that in a satisfying way for the anime. Just speed through a massive explanation?

an entire episode of the fake train love anime then at the very end cut to Charles asking what the gently caress just happened

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

UnderFreddy posted:

As if Japanese viewers need a big explanation about anything pachislot related.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

UnderFreddy posted:

I want the whole thing but it's fast forward at like 10x speed so you can slow it down and listen or watch as normal to get the accurate experience of being stuck fighting this rear end in a top hat

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

UnderFreddy posted:

Well that's the fun part, it doesn't need to be explained. Because it's nonsense garbage. Literally nothing about the domain game means anything, at any point. Don't get me wrong Hakari is by far one of the coolest characters in the manga, and Kashimo vs. Hakari slaps, but dude is wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle.

How does he win a fight? Oh, well he gets jackpots. How often does he get jackpots though? Oh, like, all the time, I guess. Why? idk it is not explained really, man just believes in himself, so he does it.

How does he die? The only real tidbit we have about his prowess as a fighter is that his personal feelings seem to greatly affect his performance (getting the Fever mechanic). So presumably he loses his confidence and that causes him to fail a jackpot, or something?

:shrug: Hakari is 100% rad but his ability has zero nuance or even, really, reasonable conditions for winning/losing.

JJK spent a ton of thought and energy on establishing its power and caste system, and Hakari's introduction was arguably the beginning of that system breaking down. And of course at this point it hasn't mattered for like a year.

Btw, remember when he had a girlfriend with an ability called Love Rendezvous which works on establishing an order of objects manifesting the Southern Cross constellation??? lol:

quote:

After finding the star marks on him and Panda with the previous chapter of the series, Chapter 156 of the series sees Megumi piece together how Kirara's technique works. He figures out that it's based on the Southern Cross constellation (which Kirara gives away with a hilarious expression) and determines that there's an order for which each of those marked can approach one another. This includes objects as well as long as it has cursed energy that Kirara can mark it with.

When he figures it out, the manga then confirms Megumi's hypothesis is correct. As the manga explains, Love Rendezvous apportions five stars with the Southern Cross motif to target cursed energy. For one of these stars to approach one another, they have to follow a set order or they suddenly pull another star mark with the same designation (Acrux to Acrux, Imai to Imai, for example) toward it quickly. It's what we see when Panda is suddenly hit by the car that Kirara sends towards him.

The order begins from the nearest to the furthest, and although Kirara can adjust these marks on the fly and send more objects flying, Megumi figures out a loophole and forces Kirara to dispel it at the end of the chapter. So it's a complicated technique, and makes a lot of sense why Kirara didn't exactly fit in with the Jujutsu Tech school. It's so different from other techniques we've seen thus far.

Dope. This happens kind of a lot; there is a lot of clean up work to be done if they're going to work with the material that's on offer post-Shibuya. I'm into it though.

e: I sound like such a hater, I love JJK so much and I'm sure we can all agree that Hakari is one of the coolest and most fun characters left on the cast. Different feeling cursed energy? Dope. Best in class RCT? Fun in theory and allows for some crazy fights! It just sucks that in practice his ability is super hard to explain and, simultaneously, completely meaningless.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 15, 2024

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

UnderFreddy posted:

it'll be like that fight in the chimera ant arc of the hxh anime where it's just a slideshow with the narrator explaining what's supposed to be happening

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I was reading the Hakari and Kashimo fight again now that the official volume released. It's very funny that I was so invested in understanding exactly how Hakari's powers worked and was looking up pachinko means. Every single detail seemed to just raise a bunch of new questions on the exact mechanics. Gege didn't have this problem lol

I guess it's sort of comforting that "actually his powers are bullshit" was the intended writing.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Before his introduction, Gege had explicitly called out Hakari as having a CT that was "unfair", and yeah it pretty much is.

I don't believe it to be a problem, though. Sure, it's an unfair ability because while it's got a clearly delineated technical weakness its application is entirely narrative-driven (read: arbitrary), and in order for Hakari to keep up with the big hitters that necessarily only comes up as a way to shift tempo rather than an ever-present danger. But, like, who cares?

All his BS means is that Hakari functionally has inexhaustible stamina and regeneration for as long as the plot demands it, which makes him a great avenue for spectacle. He's identical to Takaba in that sense, the only difference being Hakari is basically already the perfected version of himself whereas Takaba needed a little mini-arc to defeat his inner demons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Before his introduction, Gege had explicitly called out Hakari as having a CT that was "unfair", and yeah it pretty much is.

I don't believe it to be a problem, though. Sure, it's an unfair ability because while it's got a clearly delineated technical weakness its application is entirely narrative-driven (read: arbitrary), and in order for Hakari to keep up with the big hitters that necessarily only comes up as a way to shift tempo rather than an ever-present danger. But, like, who cares?

All his BS means is that Hakari functionally has inexhaustible stamina and regeneration for as long as the plot demands it, which makes him a great avenue for spectacle. He's identical to Takaba in that sense, the only difference being Hakari is basically already the perfected version of himself whereas Takaba needed a little mini-arc to defeat his inner demons.

I don't have a problem with it being unfair, I just have a problem with it being arbitrary and random and I think it makes the fights involving it unbelievably boring. Takaba is much better because his power is unfair as poo poo but in a clear and understandable way. If he loses it is because it is funny. If he wins it is because it is funny. You can counter him by being funny. That is awesome. I don't think having an unfair power is bad as long as it is an unfair power in an interesting way.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I suppose it's a matter of taste, but Hakari's fights have had the best dudepunching in the manga since that's the entire focus of them; Yuji was too limited by not having RCT, but Hakari allows Gege to go wild letting the OHKs land and gently caress him up.

ED: I'm getting the feeling we wouldn't be having this conversation if his CT had explicitly been Super Regeneration rather than Gambling.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 15, 2024

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think they should do a detailed explanation of Hikari's technique when they adapt it for the anime because Kashimo immediately responds with "Don't shove stupid bullshit like that into my head!" after the domain farts the explanation into his brain against his will

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fabricated posted:

I think they should do a detailed explanation of Hikari's technique when they adapt it for the anime because Kashimo immediately responds with "Don't shove stupid bullshit like that into my head!" after the domain farts the explanation into his brain against his will

Really it is the strongest domain because it works as both infinite energy and also is a knockoff infinite void.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Bullshit gambling that's also a memetic mental attack rules

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Bullshit gambling that's also a memetic mental attack rules

It's some Bobobo rear end bullshit and I love it.

Speaking of I've been rereading Bobobo and having the realization a lot of the big attacks Bobobo did were Domain Expansions before Domain Expansions.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I can't even remember anymore, was it ever explicitly stated that Hakari's jackpot likelihood is linked to his self-belief or anything besides actual luck? That would actually be kind of cool, it's lamer if it's just "he has to roll the first jackpot naturally with actual luck" lol.

I'm fiending for the leaks of the next chapter, I feel like the next few weeks are gonna be spicy.

edit:
I have to agree with the guy who said that this was just Gege correcting a minor continuity error in the dialogue. The guy in the tweet is misunderstanding the rule's logic, isn't he? If those three die it doesn't mean the Culling Games will continue forever, if the other players die the ending criteria are still met. I guess you could take the extremely literal interpretation that all three have to survive and everyone else has to die, but that doesn't make very much sense.

If anything it's funny that it seemed like plot armor and hasn't quite worked out that way. The Geto vs Kenjaku detail is kind of interesting though.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 15, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tosk posted:

I can't even remember anymore, was it ever explicitly stated that Hakari's jackpot likelihood is linked to his self-belief or anything besides actual luck? That would actually be kind of cool, it's lamer if it's just "he has to roll the first jackpot naturally with actual luck" lol.

He is reliant on actual luck. But Hakari is self admitted to be very lucky, having stated himself that it's never taken more than 32 spins even on a real machine for him to hit a Jackpot.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I don't have a problem with it being unfair, I just have a problem with it being arbitrary and random and I think it makes the fights involving it unbelievably boring. Takaba is much better because his power is unfair as poo poo but in a clear and understandable way. If he loses it is because it is funny. If he wins it is because it is funny. You can counter him by being funny. That is awesome. I don't think having an unfair power is bad as long as it is an unfair power in an interesting way.

The thing about Hakari's power is that he's is most likely cheating (rigged machines are a thing). After the first jackpot his machine can stay indefinitely in kakuhen (they called it fever mode?) instead of 50% of the time. The way to beat him is to avoid getting distracted by all the stupid shiny stuff at the start of the game and just finish him right there.

Like, if you don't know the rules of packinko it's going to take longer for you to realize you're being bamboozled.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 15, 2024

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don’t think that makes sense with how we know cursed techniques work…

Narratively yeah “luck” is just whatever the author feels like, but so what? Every other fight is the same way. Also, as we saw with Kashimo, Hakari is not quite invincible in his jackpot form.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 15, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tosk posted:

I have to agree with the guy who said that this was just Gege correcting a minor continuity error in the dialogue. The guy in the tweet is misunderstanding the rule's logic, isn't he? If those three die it doesn't mean the Culling Games will continue forever, if the other players die the ending criteria are still met. I guess you could take the extremely literal interpretation that all three have to survive and everyone else has to die, but that doesn't make very much sense.

If anything it's funny that it seemed like plot armor and hasn't quite worked out that way. The Geto vs Kenjaku detail is kind of interesting though.

There's no rule for spreading the culling game; you'd assume it to end by default when all players are dead since no new players can be added, but worst case it means the colony barriers and gathered CE will stay up indefinitely until successfully dismantled.

Kenjaku's rule exception was put in place simply so the game could be terminated without him needing to kill his host body and co-conspirators. No deeper reading is warranted.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

I don’t think that makes sense with how we know cursed techniques work…

Narratively yeah “luck” is just whatever the author feels like, but so what? Every other fight is the same way. Also, as we saw with Kashimo, Hakari is not quite invincible in his jackpot form.

I went back to read the chapters and he does enter Jitan (time reduction) after his first kakuhen in his fight with kashimo. So if he's cheating he's cheating during Jitan instead. I do hope he's cheating because "I'm dumb lucky" is lame.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am fine with Hakari just being lucky because I love characters fighting him and being like "woah, this man... is truly lucky" as if it's some higher blessing or ability. I also think his fights just end up cool as hell. They are an author explicitly saying whatever I do what I want but imo it works because he has such a fun energy. I feel like Yuta embodies Gojo's overwhelming power and incredibly technique but Hakari embodies Gojo's much more important "really loving annoying to fight" factor.

That said as much as I thing Gege nailed making Hakari a blast to watch I really like that theory about him rigging his games. Could lead to a fun battle where you have to try and catch him cheating in order to end his domain prematurely or something. I don't think that's what's happening but I think it'd be great if it turns out to be right. The Takaba fight showed how much fun that kind of set-up is.

I feel like Hakari has so many banger moments whenever he's on the page but my favourite small thing is in his fight with Charles. It's not specifically something about Hakari. I just love that Charles is so sure he's a great misunderstood mangaka but then he falls for the most obvious romance manga cliché ever with the train richii.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

if you are unsure on who is going to win, always bet on Hakari

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

UnderFreddy posted:

Don't worry guys, there is 0 chance he'll be able to pop his domain again after that last attack

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

I put all my money on Kaji.

I might have reason to regret this decision.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The one who left pachinko behind and his overwhelming gambling...!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hakari getting a zawa zawa moment would be neat.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I like hakari a lot but as someone who started during gojo/sukuna, getting to him was like the ultimate punchline on the "ACTUALLY jjk's power system has very THOROUGH and DETAILED mechanics" line of praise you often see. plenty of jjk's abilities straight up don't make sense (projection sorcery is another big easy example here). they don't need to, it's shonen, all that matters is that the fight reversals and turnarounds make emotional sense, and well defined powers are just scaffolding to help you get there, much like star trek technobabble.* but it was really really funny to get to "idk I roll jackpots" guy while everyone was raving about domain expansions etc

*(which is why "funniest option wins" is actually a great power set for shonen. Also I think the tension and catharsis inherent to comedy play really well with shonen rhythms but I can't pull that full thought together here)

Valentin fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Hakari's first real fight shows off the limits of his bullshit godmode power and he's able to get out of it through clever application of the other core mechanics of the story, namely 1) using the barrier aspect of domain expansion to dump kashimo in the water and 2) using a binding vow to avoid certain death when kashimo blows everything up.