Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BonoMan posted:

They ran it on poles instead of burying it?

That's how we get fiber as well in Chicagoland. Which is odd, considering all our electric is buried in this specific neighborhood.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is vastly cheaper up front, but with probably a higher maintenance cost for the next century, which is exactly how california utilities like it. Why think about the future when you can increase profits today?

Mousus
Apr 9, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Every 1 in 5 or so houses is supposed to have a roof vent when connected to mains sewer. I'm connected to mains sewer but I've got my big underground poo pumping station inbetween so I do indeed have to have my own roof vent to prevent gas buildup and explosion. I've got that at the far end of the house at the end of the sewer run. This and the ensuite are little tributary sewer runs and have the loft above them so I've opted for the air admittance valve on these runs. It is supposed to not let smells out, Ive used them previously in my brother and parents places and not had any negative reports although to be fair I am pretty good at ignoring emails from family if it looks like it says something is wrong and I need to fix it.

I did briefly wonder whether I've done this in a dumb way but decided its probably fine? Not so much worried about the toilet blocking the sink waste as you'd kind of know about the problem straight away. I'm more worried that the flushing toilet could pull a vacuum on the sink waste trap and suck the water out leaving a route for smells to enter until the tap was run again.

The way it was before the dirgo (AAV) served both independently. I could conceivably move the connection to the vertical stack again? Or setup a separate bypass to vent it. Need to decide before I box it all in.

Having run one of my own WHBs directly onto the toilet connection without thinking about it (and learned since to never do that as it does exactly what you're worried about) I would definitely recommend trying to get the WHB as a separate connection onto the stub stack. Particularly in a room that also contains a shower as "I got in the shower straight after using the toilet" is actually a pretty good excuse for not having washed your hands. There's a small chance that an anti-syphon trap is good enough to prevent it (haven't got round to installing one myself to prove if it does the job in my layout) but it's much neater to just have an independent connection to the stack. Also means that you can set up the end of your WC connection as a future rodding point should anything ever get particularly stuck.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Fibre round here comes in over the old telephone poles.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm connected to mains sewer but I've got my big underground poo pumping station inbetween so I do indeed have to have my own roof vent to prevent gas buildup and explosion.

I'm more worried that the flushing toilet could pull a vacuum on the sink waste trap and suck the water out leaving a route for smells to enter until the tap was run again.
I'm now imagining 99 having to get a neighbour round every time he needs a poo, to run the taps at the other end of the house so it doesn't implode dealing 5d8 gravity damage to anyone on site.

More importantly though:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I did briefly wonder whether I've done this in a dumb way but decided its probably fine?
Buddy,

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Muir posted:

Yeah, I live about 30 miles from Leperflesh and have Sonic fiber internet (with the cables operated by AT&T). This is what it looks like:

The electric is run the same way, not just the fiber.

Yeah I guess boring through the Shire would be a pain

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Towards L shape architecture: I did briefly wonder whether I've done this in a dumb way but decided its probably fine?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Every 1 in 5 or so houses is supposed to have a roof vent when connected to mains sewer. I'm connected to mains sewer but I've got my big underground poo pumping station inbetween so I do indeed have to have my own roof vent to prevent gas buildup and explosion. I've got that at the far end of the house at the end of the sewer run. This and the ensuite are little tributary sewer runs and have the loft above them so I've opted for the air admittance valve on these runs. It is supposed to not let smells out, Ive used them previously in my brother and parents places and not had any negative reports although to be fair I am pretty good at ignoring emails from family if it looks like it says something is wrong and I need to fix it.

I did briefly wonder whether I've done this in a dumb way but decided its probably fine? Not so much worried about the toilet blocking the sink waste as you'd kind of know about the problem straight away. I'm more worried that the flushing toilet could pull a vacuum on the sink waste trap and suck the water out leaving a route for smells to enter until the tap was run again.

The way it was before the dirgo (AAV) served both independently. I could conceivably move the connection to the vertical stack again? Or setup a separate bypass to vent it. Need to decide before I box it all in.

I'm not a professional plumber either and I live on the wrong continent and drive my car on the other side of the of the road or whatever, but I have defuckulated old bathroom plumbing in a couple of houses I've owned and regardless of any codes or anything, I can tell you that you've got the AAV in the wrong place now.

You've either got to
A) have two AAVs, that is, a vent (AAV) for the sink and a vent (AAV) for your toilet, or
B) you need to plumb not only the waste side but the vent side of the sink back into that AAV vented stack.

Only this will keep the sink draining correctly / not gurgling. I've attached a drawing of B. It shows a vent stack going up to the roof. The AAV you have is fine, that's your vented stack. I don't know if it's fine code-wise; I'm saying I've done it that way too and it doesn't result in poo gas. Otherwise, you may be faced with :itwaspoo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Yeah. I think you're right. But I'll just spend a few more days in denial before changing it.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah. I think you're right. But I'll just spend a few more days in denial before changing it.

Have you ever made a post without a title worthy phrase?

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm more worried that the flushing toilet could pull a vacuum on the sink waste trap and suck the water out leaving a route for smells to enter until the tap was run again.

Now is an excellent time to Google "trap primer"

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

Towards L shape architecture: I did briefly wonder whether I've done this in a dumb way but decided its probably fine?

Bluestars can't be reported, so I quoted this so someone can do the needful.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's 119 characters long, so it won't fit unfortunately.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

what if you give it a little push

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Leperflesh posted:

It's 119 characters long, so it won't fit unfortunately.
What if we drove 40 foot piles beneath the title to support the extra characters?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When you make a new thread, you get up to 75 characters for the title. For some reason, when mods edit thread titles, we get up to 85 characters instead. There's a super secret way to get more but it's breaking the rules the length is enforced by html on the page but you can edit the page html and submit a longer title lol but I'm afraid of astral and I think we're not supposed to abuse our powers in such a sneaky way and also this is violating a cardinal rule when dealing with Radium code, which is to not poke it with a stick just to see what happens, that is a bad idea.

So yeah your friendly HCH mods probably want titles of 85 characters or less.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

break the rules first on someoneelses thread and see what happens.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I haven't checked in any way and I'm not a qualified website engineer, but I did a drawing of what it might look like in MSPaint and reckon it'll probably be fine so let's just go for it

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

sebzilla posted:

I haven't checked in any way and I'm not a qualified website engineer, but I did a drawing of what it might look like in MSPaint and reckon it'll probably be fine so let's just go for it

thats still too long for a thread title

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NJAN are you funding all this by selling the film rights?

FreshFeesh posted:

Just watched a garbage and by-the-numbers crappy spy/action movie The Bricklayer. Hoo boy. Not spoiling anything because you should not watch this film.

Apparently the titular bricklayer is so good at his job a wall he built and took pride in can be knocked over by a person merely falling against it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Leperflesh posted:

When you make a new thread, you get up to 75 characters for the title. For some reason, when mods edit thread titles, we get up to 85 characters instead. There's a super secret way to get more but it's breaking the rules the length is enforced by html on the page but you can edit the page html and submit a longer title lol but I'm afraid of astral and I think we're not supposed to abuse our powers in such a sneaky way and also this is violating a cardinal rule when dealing with Radium code, which is to not poke it with a stick just to see what happens, that is a bad idea.

So yeah your friendly HCH mods probably want titles of 85 characters or less.

NJAN's approach to houses has a lot in common with radium's approach to websites so I say you're justified in going for it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

well I'm not a mod in HCH so I literally cannot, but if you can talk an HCH mod into it I'm happy to observe and make smart rear end comments as usual

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Have you tried bending it at a right angle to fit it, towards L shape thread title

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Just make a 2nd thread with the rest of the title, then have everyone bump it appropriately when they post in this one

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Fibre round here comes in over the old telephone poles.

Around here the cable ISP literally tied the fiber to their existing coax cable plant, so there's no real way they can ever remove it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How about
    L    

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
There's a knob on the end of the L!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've decided to tile the plantroom floor. It just looks kind of poo poo. I dunno wasting my time, but whats my time worth at this point? It proves a good idea as it allows me an opportunity to get the being poo poo at tiling out of my system. I've done absolutely passable jobs at tiling before so don't know whats wrong with me but this is not good enough for the rest of the house. All over the place.

Prime it with some sticky gunk, probably the wrong kind but whatever

Got my tiddly radiator in there to keep things toasty for me but also the tiling.

Found some cheap tiles. Looked on ebay but nothing really jumped out. Found a wickes relatively nearby that had the 6m2 (6 packs) i needed. Don't really care what they look like.

For whatever reasons they claimed to want to be laid with a 3rd overlap? Although it contradicted itself and said max overlap 30cm which would be half anyway so who knows.

Found this tile cutter in the garage of the rented house. Its only 500mm so no good for full length cuts on 600mm tile.

Its cheap and nasty but gets the job done for now, in combination with just the ryobi handheld grinder. Not a patch on my tile cutter I bought before thats stuck out in france. Its called the The Big Clinker II. I miss my big clinker.

By the time I've faffed around I didnt actually start tiling until like 3 or something and actually realised I needed to maybe reach the main stop tap to turn off the water overnight. So don't get much done.

Cos then the temp is even worse. I know all you canadians and scandinavians will be all like thats my bath water temp but here, thats cold.

The water is frozen in the tap so can't mix up and more adhesive. and it was lame for cleaning up anyway as hosepipe was already frozen.

I cut to size/shape a few tiles but leave it for now, weekend temps are up like 10 degrees so restart then.

I had been doing some more painting but the paint was being weird and again it says dont apply in less than 10degC temps. So I guess dont do that.

Filling plaster cracks which are everywhere. Cold?

difficult to see on the photo but thats a full height floor to ceiling crack. And bear in mind this isnt just a mm or two of plaster, its like 20mm of the hardcore kd2 externally suitable subplaster too. i dunno

And some rust on the corner beads.

Rubbish

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i would have hoped with your foundation you wouldnt get any settling cracks like that

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Wait are you saying that the water is freezing in your pipes?

I hope it's not because I do not want to think about the damage happening under the floor if those floor heating pipes burst.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Wait are you saying that the water is freezing in your pipes?

I hope it's not because I do not want to think about the damage happening under the floor if those floor heating pipes burst.

are you looking at the same plant room as me? there's no water in those pipes

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

If the paint has been allowed to freeze at any point it might be hosed, even if it's subsequently warmed back up again. At least I know that's how the timber and metal paints we used to use at my old workplace worked.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Floor tiles are not interlocking L shaped tessellations, 2/10 please try harder.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I feel like there should be some concern if you have windows freezing up with condensation, pipes freezing, and rusting corner beads when it's only -5?

It's -20 here and my relatively crappy house from 1948 has not had a hint of frost or pipe problems and the idiots that renovated it ran some water pipes in external walls for short sections.

Have you measured your humidity, it must be something crazy high for winter.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
You probably have a working heat source in your house though.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fidelitious posted:

I feel like there should be some concern if you have windows freezing up with condensation, pipes freezing, and rusting corner beads when it's only -5?

It's -20 here and my relatively crappy house from 1948 has not had a hint of frost or pipe problems and the idiots that renovated it ran some water pipes in external walls for short sections.

Have you measured your humidity, it must be something crazy high for winter.

What's he even going to do about it if the humidity is high? It's not like he has power to run dehumidifiers.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

aniviron posted:

Floor tiles are not interlocking L shaped tessellations, 2/10 please try harder.

Yeah. This is shameful.

Yeah, nah theres no water in any of the underfloor heating pipes, theyre all drained drown. The only water is in the main pipe in and then run through to the outside tap on the outside of the house by the garage car hole. Everything within the building is probably OK. During these freezing temps I've been leaving the water off mostly. But used it the other day and forgot to properly drain down the external tap so it froze. I've murdered loads of these taps through the years. They have a nylon washer thing inside that is like sacrificial when it freezes and you just replace the whole tap for like a fiver.

Anyway temps up a bit today so finished plantroom tiling. Had a whole pack leftover so thats 5quid wasted.

poo poo job but whatever. Then I had to long jump in to turn off the water again and light for overnight.

But theres no runup to get back out so I guess I'll spend my first night in the house tonight.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Sleep well 99

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
if you bought some plastic plants to put in there it would be 200% funnier

get some to put in hanging baskets and suspend from the ceiling too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021
Remind me what you're waiting for on the heating front. Do you just need some more confusing diagrams to fall out of your head?

I guess everything will be preserved once it has a protective layer of rust and mold.