Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Meme Emulator posted:

This chapter felt like it was gone in seconds, and not in the Marineford way because every page is a double spread.
I love egghead but having Bonney+some strawhats get away, get in a car, get in the vacuum tube, only to be immediately dropped back where she was when Kizaru slices it open is confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
from what i understand of the timeline, the newspaper that states luffy is holed up on egghead + garp losing a fight came out the morning of the current events, with no news of a marine fleet, just that luffy was holed up and the marines were trying to assassinate vegapunk. maybe morgans got the scoop on the marines moving along with it, but there isnt a lot of time to react to that. the grand fleet only makes sense if oda is just fudging how time and space work (in which case the RA could also be there), or the grand fleet arrived to wano because luffy was dying, saw him come alive again, and then hung around the area for a bit.

there was a panel a while back where marco said to miss bucking the only person who can verify that weevil is whitebeards son is vegapunk, and sphinx island has to be relatively close by.

saul, having insider info in the marines and wanting to prevent a second ohara, could easily arrive since elbaf is pretty close.

it could be shanks since hes nearby.

boa hancock and the amazons also makes some sense, since boa was looking to abandon amazon lily after the recent events. she didnt know where she should leave to and she was curious about the seraphim.

smoker and g5 (or maybe koby? i think hes too far) are a decent option too. the kids on g5 need drugs to be cured, and vegapunk is likely the supplier. if they try and buster call the island or assassinate vegapunk, the kids would be hurt. in addition, smoker/sword/g5 + luffy standing up against the WG could ignite an internal civil war which is why this could be such an international incident.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Smoker is a decent idea actually, if he wasn't going to do anything this arc he could've easily been on Hachinosu or the among the vice admirals sieging Egghead

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

ManSedan posted:

its whomever saved the Scabbards that one time

I can't believe Enel is on the side of good now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It is someone we have never actually met before

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's one of the 12 Bounty Hunter Lords (the next 4 arcs will be dedicated to fighting them)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

It is someone we have never actually met before

Luffy's Mum on her way to save her precious baby

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The Germa. Sanjis been getting a weird amount of focus and Judge goes way back with vegapunk. Then Reiju can be the 10th crew member.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Clearly Johnny and Yosaku are about to make their long awaited return

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oda's done fakeout teases like this before, like when we see enel on wano and it turns out to be the sister

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

anime was right posted:

saul, having insider info in the marines and wanting to prevent a second ohara, could easily arrive since elbaf is pretty close.

it could be shanks since hes nearby.

Having it be some giants from elbaf does make sense. Thats where they are going next right? So that could be a nice tie in, especially if its Saul's doing or maybe Luffy's two giant friends. Shanks feels less likely if only because he just decided to delay meeting Luffy so it can't be time yet in his eyes.

Strawhat armada would still be awesome though because there's supposed to be a price for picking a fight with an emperor randomly like this and it would be really cool to just see Luffy's friends bust up an entire fleet. It would also really cement Luffy's new status. but it being the giants or even blackbeard's people does seem more likely because those are the folks we know are close by relatively right now.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Augus posted:

I'm guessing it's the strawhat fleet because I can't imagine Barto seeing the news about the hostage situation on Egghead and not immediately rushing to Luffy's side to gush to him about how cool he is.
I’ve only just realised that the Grand Fleet all have Luffy’s vivre card but none of them reacted to him literally dying

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He got better pretty fast tbf

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

I’ve only just realised that the Grand Fleet all have Luffy’s vivre card but none of them reacted to him literally dying

That's a really good point. If they all set sail for him the moment it happened, that could explain why they could be in the area now. They wouldn't need a newspaper article to know something was going on. They might have just figured there was some sort of trouble going on when he was literally dead for a few minutes.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Smoker is a decent idea actually, if he wasn't going to do anything this arc he could've easily been on Hachinosu or the among the vice admirals sieging Egghead

I have a hard time believing Smoker (or Coby for that matter) would attack a fellow Marine ship. Like maybe in the most extreme circumstances, but I feel like they would sooner do some trickery or negotiation to allow the refugee ship to escape.

No Wave posted:

The Germa. Sanjis been getting a weird amount of focus and Judge goes way back with vegapunk. Then Reiju can be the 10th crew member.

This is actually a decent possibility, iirc the Germa/Caesar cover story ended with the implication that they would team up to go after Vegapunk.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

JuniperCake posted:

That's a really good point. If they all set sail for him the moment it happened, that could explain why they could be in the area now. They wouldn't need a newspaper article to know something was going on. They might have just figured there was some sort of trouble going on when he was literally dead for a few minutes.

Oh I wonder, considering Luffy was literally dead for a couple minutes, does that mean his Vivre card disappeared? And then, presumably, came back? Wonder what happened.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
honestly wouldnt shock me if a ton of people arrive and the entire arc is what builds up everything for the final war, with a quick detour to get the one piece

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

RuBisCO posted:

Oh I wonder, considering Luffy was literally dead for a couple minutes, does that mean his Vivre card disappeared? And then, presumably, came back? Wonder what happened.

what if his vivre card vanished and they saw his new bounty poster. that would be the biggest mindfuck on the planet. especially if any of them know anything about nika.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Robin’s perfectly fine, she just saw a cool anti-grav medical bed and faked being ill so chopper would push her around on it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinitum posted:

Luffy's Mum on her way to save her precious baby

MOMS ARE TOUGH

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Boney and her group falling towards the ground leads me to think that whoever is coming has some sort of flight abilities. Which might lean towards Morgans and his airship.

On the other hand, we just set up that the Sunny is about to go flying off the cliff, so maybe Lilith and Brook pull off the intercept before continuing on to the Giant Robot or touching down in the bay.

Edit: Given Kuma's unique situation, does Bonney react to robots like typical girls or typical boys?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

I see it more like

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Do we get a chapter next week or are we on a break? Is it too soon to tell?

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Do we know who was on that ship that was leaving Egghead that the Government destroyed or is that just to show how twisted the Elders are?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kermit The Grog posted:

Do we know who was on that ship that was leaving Egghead that the Government destroyed or is that just to show how twisted the Elders are?

Nobody with a name, it was all the civillian scientists who were working there (or at least a lot of them). It was just to show how evil Saturn is, and also now to reveal that there is an ally in the area.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

It’s the Yeti Cool Brothers

Seriously though what the hell is going on with the BB Pirates ship we saw? Is it just anchored off the coast and no one is acknowledging it? It looked really close when it was shown. The escaping civilian ship left the previous day so it would’ve been pretty far away by the current time, way further than the BB ship appeared.

Nth-ing that the chapter felt really short. Three 2 page spreads and nothing much happened.

Vegapunk shares some of the responsibility for the civilian deaths. He knew what would happen when the WG found out what he was doing. The civilians weren’t even participating in the research, while on Ohara there seemed to be more common involvement. Why didn’t VP do his research on a deserted island and not risk the lives of all these people who had no idea what he was doing? Obviously the WG should simply not murder people for BS reasons, but VP stood in the smoking ruins of Ohara and still decided to do this on a populated island. Especially since he can make as many clones and robots as he wants!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kermit The Grog posted:

It was all the civilians and workers who lived on Egghead. Vegapunk evacuated the island at the very beginning of the arc. They got away though because the destroyed ship was the Navy ship sent to sink them.

It does become hard to square the ability of the average Marine to think they're not the baddies when they with some frequently get orders to sink passenger boats and kill anyone who may have survived. Like, there's kids and babies desperately trying not to drown and you either just watch or train the cannons on them.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks for the confirm on who that ship was. I got confused and thought that the sunk navy ship they show at the end was the ship the government destroyed and thought it was Smoker as we haven't seen him in a while, but if that's not the case, what's the deal with that sunken navy ship?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

It was all the civilians and workers who lived on Egghead. Vegapunk evacuated the island at the very beginning of the arc. They got away though because the destroyed ship was the Navy ship sent to sink them.

It does become hard to square the ability of the average Marine to think they're not the baddies when they with some frequently get orders to sink passenger boats and kill anyone who may have survived. Like, there's kids and babies desperately trying not to drown and you either just watch or train the cannons on them.

I don't think it's something that happens "frequently" in-universe. I think the only actual other example of this we've seen is Akainu sinking the ships fleeing Ohara.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gyges posted:

Not to mention they occasionally have to defend people like the Celestial Dragons who routinely do poo poo they’d normally arrest people for (such as holding literal slave auctions). With all the double standards the WG holds it’s impressive that more Marines aren’t a bit jaded about the work they do (especially since some of them are targeted by said people at times)

Hell, we’ve met a couple Marines in the past that are arguably just as bad if not worse than the criminals they hunt down

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Shady poo poo towards civilians we've seen the Navy do while everyone just goes along off the top of my head:
  • Ohara
  • Scouring Baterilla for possible children of Roger, killing all "suspicious" pregnant women and mothers. Implied infanticide. Also all women connected to Roger were apparently killed too.
  • Sinking little Sabo's ship for being in the same vicinity as a Celestial Dragon
  • Everything Captain Morgan ordered
  • Fullbody loving around at Baratie
  • Nezumi's crew/command being totally fine with all of Arlong's atrocities
  • Covering for Crocodile
  • Sabaody's open crime and cartoonish despotism of the Celestial Dragons
  • Chasing after the Egghead civilian ship to make sure everyone is dead

Like, all the Celestial Dragon poo poo on it's own is worth some serious Are We The Baddies conversations. I think the only time we've seen the Marines actually be 100% cool dudes towards civilians was when Aokiji helped the shipwrecked people.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Scouring Baterilla for possible children of Roger, killing all "suspicious" pregnant women and mothers. Implied infanticide. Also all women connected to Roger were apparently killed too.

This was what readers assumed at the time, but in retrospect, they probably just did paternity tests. Reiju is a couple years older than Ace, so they definitely had the technology by then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, punk hazard did technically happen. that's pretty much the only time marines ever focused on protecting civilians over fighting their enemies, open corruption, or obeying actively evil orders.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So mostly a Smoker thing then

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

This was what readers assumed at the time, but in retrospect, they probably just did paternity tests. Reiju is a couple years older than Ace, so they definitely had the technology by then.

That is what Garp, Roger, and some marines running around on the island said on panel. The infanticide is implied, but we're dealing with repeated themes from the WG telling people that their very existence is a crime i.e. Robin, Ace, Kuma, etc. The only reason Ace made it to adulthood was that Garp and then Whitebeard had his back.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hey, punk hazard did technically happen. that's pretty much the only time marines ever focused on protecting civilians over fighting their enemies, open corruption, or obeying actively evil orders.

That's not true. Smoker directed his dudes to help in Alabasta, and Fujitora helped civilians (though declined to actually stop Doffy directly). Which is why I think Smoker and Fujitora lead the New World Order Navy after all this is done.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Luffy is really fat right now i hope we get a Gear 5 Tankman

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Anyone else feel like it's a safe bet that Elbaf will be the penultimate stop before the curtain call arc? If so then it's been one hell of a ride, the world ecology has almost been completely mapped out :saddowns:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

White Light posted:

Anyone else feel like it's a safe bet that Elbaf will be the penultimate stop before the curtain call arc? If so then it's been one hell of a ride, the world ecology has almost been completely mapped out :saddowns:
I think it's not a safe bet that there even will be an Elbaf arc. It won't be safe for the straw hats to be anywhere soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

No Wave posted:

I think it's not a safe bet that there even will be an Elbaf arc. It won't be safe for the straw hats to be anywhere soon.

Eh There's no way they don't go to Elbaf. But I think its less that Elbaf has a self contained long ongoing arc like Wano and more that Elbaf is just part of the final "saga" like egghead and all of those. We're going to go do all the crazy poo poo now, gonna be great.