Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

I keep wondering how long this has been going on for, to be honest. I can't imagine the victim at the centre of this and the hush money scandal was the only one to be treated in this way.

This is one where you can just go back and forth making yourself more depressed. The earlier allegations we have details on were so different but have creepy details that foreshadow the details in this case. The promises made to Rita, the insane staring and arrogance in the Florida case, and the cases we know nothing about... the payment to the former wrestler was so gigantic it seems to imply something truly awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
There have been allegations of Vince sexually assaulting women (and rumors of far worse) since before like half of NXT was born.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Rita Chatterton was 30+ years ago

MassRafTer posted:

This is one where you can just go back and forth making yourself more depressed. The earlier allegations we have details on were so different but have creepy details that foreshadow the details in this case. The promises made to Rita, the insane staring and arrogance in the Florida case, and the cases we know nothing about... the payment to the former wrestler was so gigantic it seems to imply something truly awful.

Yeah, that's where I started thinking about this. It's definitely a horrible rabbit hole to fall down, and considering the involvement of Brock Lesnar in the current case, it also makes me wonder about other top level talent where women victimised by Vince McMahon and pals were used to sweeten deals during negotiations, and how many people in the locker room during this period were aware. I'd believe it if someone way down the card who's at risk of being cut during the annual bloodletting or toiling away in NXT says "mate don't look at me, I had no idea," but I'm pretty sure the top half of the card is full of good Germans, you know?

I don't know about anyone else, but it feels to me like we're only just scratching the surface of McMahon's extra-curriculars.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but it feels to me like we're only just scratching the surface of McMahon's extra-curriculars.

The really scary thing is the examples we have are primarily on-air talent. How many office types on the corporate side (like Grant) were victimized?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You 100% have to think there was probably something up through Moolah too

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm sure Vince got a lot of tips on humiliating and exploiting and trafficking women from that piece of poo poo Moolah.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I mean they had no problem whatsoever using Moolah's name until Snickers had to step in and be like "Fuckin' STOP"

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

imagine trying to explain to a man that has been sex trafficking employees for 30 years that they have to remove moolah's name because she was sex trafficking employees for 30 years

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

kdrudy posted:

I'm sure Vince got a lot of tips on humiliating and exploiting and trafficking women from that piece of poo poo Moolah.

Hell the likelihood she pimped her girls out to him is 100%.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that's kinda of what i was getting after...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Oh yeah, not a shred of doubt on my end.

Lid posted:

Hell the likelihood she pimped her girls out to him is 100%.

Also, oh yeah, not a shred of doubt.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

edogawa rando posted:

From reading the complaint, it definitely didn’t seem like his first time grooming a victim.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Vengarr posted:

From reading the complaint, it definitely didn’t seem like his first time grooming a victim.

Like the guy had a whole support structure helping him. The people at his apartment building, the "celebrity doctor", the entire corporate structure at WWE itself.

And also keep in mind this one case only accounts for like, 3 out of 16 million dollars worth of hush money payments. There's so much more out there that we don't know any details about and for all we know it could be somehow even worse than what we already know.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

Like the guy had a whole support structure helping him. The people at his apartment building, the "celebrity doctor", the entire corporate structure at WWE itself.

And also keep in mind this one case only accounts for like, 3 out of 16 million dollars worth of hush money payments. There's so much more out there that we don't know any details about and for all we know it could be somehow even worse than what we already know.

And that's only what Vince has done, in a company where so many officials have histories of abuse and the company covering for them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, it's never just the one victim, and we know there've been payments and NDAs going back decades.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It was always funny when wrestling fans would speak of Jerry McDevitt in hushed tones like he was a supersoldier lawyer.

The Bass article:
https://deadspin.com/how-nicole-bass-was-slut-shamed-by-wwe-during-her-sexua-1821245688

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

It was always funny when wrestling fans would speak of Jerry McDevitt in hushed tones like he was a supersoldier lawyer.

It's very much the effect of having more resources at hand than victims/opponents where he couldn't lose. (And apparently Vince/whoever relentlessly intimidating victims as well.)

That said, thanks for digging that up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Doubly when fedpills would talk about him like he was THEIR lawyer. Like on retainer.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

it really makes me think more about rena mero's treatment and everything behind it just really sickens me to wonder how everything there happened.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

STONE COLD 64 posted:

it really makes me think more about rena mero's treatment and everything behind it just really sickens me to wonder how everything there happened.

Which in turn makes me think of her current life which...now that we have a better picture of what Brock Lesnar is might be actually be worse

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

The Bass article:
https://deadspin.com/how-nicole-bass-was-slut-shamed-by-wwe-during-her-sexua-1821245688
I feel like this is...I don't know if "unfair" is the word I should use, but it's not exactly an accurate assessment of Jerry.

This isn't to say that he didn't serve as Vince's fixer or anything like that. He absolutely did. But by all accounts, he was a genuinely great lawyer, and I've seen some weird examples of how dedicated and hardworking he was. (When he deposed Big Show's boxing trainer, he mentioned having read the trainer's obscure self-published book about his boxercise program, which he really didn't need to do and which a paralegal could have done regardless.) But I think he absolutely slipped with age. I'm not sure when that would have started — the Nicole Bass thing was weird in part because it felt like he may have done it on his own without coordinating with WWE — but by the time he responded to our questions for the Business Insider ring boys article, something was off. It's one thing to have hubris, but I don't remember him ever showing his proverbial rear end the way he did there in late 2020 when he talked about how he had no memory of the 1999 ring boy lawsuit (and 2000 settlement of that suit) even though his name and signature were on everything.

Regardless, being an rear end in a top hat and a pitbull of a lawyer who seemingly crafted a specific persona to please Vince and being a great lawyer (at least before age took its toll) aren't mutually exclusive.

Happy to answer any questions about dealing with him, BTW. At one point we had a more friendly relationship and he was genuinely fascinating to talk to, but I always knew that it would eventually turn adversarial and kept that in mind. The Bass article seemingly bothered him in part because I had emailed him an unrelated question in that time frame and didn't reach out for the Bass article. But...it wasn't really that kind of article. Jerry and company being absolutely terrible to opposing parties in lawsuits was nothing new, there was no reason to get comment from him unless it was the kind of "do you regret this kind of tactic in hindsight" kind of thing we wouldn't have gotten a good answer to regardless. It wasn't really in question that what I found was slut shaming, it's just that nobody really had any idea previously that it was part of their defense. And, by all accounts, she didn't have a particularly strong case and did a lot to hurt her credibility, regardless, so why take it in that direction?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq8xEEdMdBc

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/brandonthurston/status/1751754478665998449?s=46&t=mnYqVpM2My3x_us-EMYeXA

quote:

I respect everyone has different goals in wrestling media but we get to ask only a few questions per month to WWE EVP Paul Levesque and rarely have access to any other executive. A sex trafficking lawsuit was filed a few days ago against 3 parties: Vince McMahon, John Laurinaitis, and against the company itself, WWE. It alleges trafficking and sexual assault (including claims of instances inside WWE HQ).

But not only that. Janel Grant says multiple executives (at least 4, who are anonymized, and we can’t rule out Levesque or Nick Khan are among them) had knowledge of the relationship between she (an entry-level employee) and Vince McMahon (the CEO) and did nothing to intervene.

Keep in mind WWE itself disclosed in 2022 there are multiple additional NDAs between Vince and other women, whose stories we barely know anything about.

Given the context and profoundly disturbing new allegations, to ask Levesque about any other subject last night in particular is a disservice to the industry and the people in it.

Even if further questions produce only bits of transparency or non-answers, those responses and the media’s attention to the subject send a message to the public and business partners. If every question would’ve been about by far the most important story in wrestling this week (this decade?), it would’ve sent a more resounding signal regardless of the responses. Instead it feels like there’s some headroom where WWE can evade questions about sexual misconduct at the company, a possible cover-up, and instead get to talk about the great business run they’re on and how today’s product compares to the Attitude Era.

Having access carries a responsibility that sometimes matters less but last night mattered a lot, and half the questions to Levesque were about relatively trivial subjects.

I don’t mean to put anyone down. Many stories including this one involve complicated details. If you feel unsure what to ask, I find talking with other reporters about possible good questions helps. My DMs are open too and I had a dozen questions I could’ve shared.

If you’re afraid of losing access, I can only speak for myself: I have never been dissuaded before or after, and I think WWE anticipates what kinds of questions I’m going to ask before I’m called on, which they’ve done at each presser I’ve attended. And ultimately there are things more important than access, like transparency and accountability.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Just awful.

All the poo poo with Ashley Massaro makes everything even more sordid and sad

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Someone brought up an interesting point. If Triple H wasn't read up on the lawsuit, why did he cancel Brock's creative for the Rumble?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Did anyone at the presser call him out for saying he didn't read the lawsuit? What a load of poo poo

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

hope the oval office is pressed on this every time he makes a public appearance until he resigns/is arrested

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Pylons posted:

Someone brought up an interesting point. If Triple H wasn't read up on the lawsuit, why did he cancel Brock's creative for the Rumble?

Didn't read the lawsuit, did read the Wall Street Journal?

I guess Lesnar's old enough that the draw isn't what it was and it doesn't matter what happens to him, but he really is the "my standards for you were low, but holy poo poo" man.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
more like LLL

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pylons posted:

Him claiming he hasn't read it doesn't pass even the most cursory of bullshit detectors. He's a loving board member, of course he's read it, and the whole board knew about this poo poo anyway.

His answer was insanely stupid and unbelievable. He could (and should) have saying something about this being monstrous poo poo and the whole company dedicating their efforts into getting to the bottom of this and dealing with all involved... but of course he can't say that, because he's also involved.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
To be fair maybe HHH hasn't read it because he's hideously bad at his job.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

If he hadn't read it, he absolutely shouldn't have said he hadn't read it. Idiot, thankfully.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Has any ex-WWE wrestler commented on this at all? It's been a few days now and afaik it's been radio silence by everyone. I wouldn't expect any current WWE wrestlers to say anything cos they'd be fired instantly, but others surely...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Has any ex-WWE wrestler commented on this at all? It's been a few days now and afaik it's been radio silence by everyone. I wouldn't expect any current WWE wrestlers to say anything cos they'd be fired instantly, but others surely...

Maria and Rousey both commented.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I am genuinely unsure if Triple H’s press conference showing was due to arrogance or if he was intentionally given bad talking points and sent out to hang himself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

keithy george posted:

If he hadn't read it, he absolutely shouldn't have said he hadn't read it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

keithy george posted:

If he hadn't read it, he absolutely shouldn't have said he hadn't read it. Idiot, thankfully.

Exactly. You say you're aware of the allegations, they are monstrous, and you will make sure everything possible is done to get to the bottom of this, but as awful as this is, you want to focus on the incredible show dedicated WWE Universe Superstars put on and blah blah blah.

What you don't say is "I don't know poo poo but this has been an incredible week for the WWE Universe". That is literally one of the worst answers anyone has ever given to any question.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

I doubt that company has a crisis comms strategy besides putting its fingers in its ears and saying "Lalalalala..."

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I am genuinely unsure if Triple H’s press conference showing was due to arrogance or if he was intentionally given bad talking points and sent out to hang himself.

He's worked his way to the top of a company where the culture is the show must go on no matter what horrific things just happened, it's pretty ingrained in him at this point and consequences are just a foreign concept.

As for why he chose the "I haven't read it" lie specifically, he knows it implicates him but doesn't know how the media coverage will play out or if the case will go to discovery. He's afraid to condemn anything or claim that it's his first time hearing of any of the allegations because it might come back to bite him later if the truth comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

Drakkel posted:

Does the apartment/condo situation with the building manager helping connect her with Vince feel coordinated? I admit that wasn’t my impression reading the suit, but only because it seemed she’d made friends as she was trying to get back on her feet, so the manager contacting Vince on her behalf felt more a good faith offer with horrific results. It didn’t strike me as a Ghislaine pipeline. None of the folks from the building were named or Apartment Manager #2’d, were they?

And obviously having typed all that I realize I’m in a way asking ‘please let this not have been a well-used lure’ with not a lot of hope

96 BELOW THE WAVE fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 29, 2024