Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

That Works posted:

Ive got some beef short ribs coming out of a long sousvide tonight and was going to use them along with a red wine pan sauce.

Ive got lots of gold potatoes for the starch but other than just mashing them does anyone else have some fun way to prep them that’s not super time intensive?

Smash them. It does recommend an overnight chill, but it's not labor intensive at any point.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/277312/roasted-smashed-potatoes/

In short, boil them until just tender, chill them, then smash and roast them. Top with garlic herb butter. This recipe makes 16 servings, but you can probably do a smaller portion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Gold taters to go with short ribs? I'd probably boil them a bit and then quarter them and bake with olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary. Twice cooked tater wedges.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

CzarChasm posted:

Smash them. It does recommend an overnight chill, but it's not labor intensive at any point.

In short, boil them until just tender, chill them, then smash and roast them. Top with garlic herb butter. This recipe makes 16 servings, but you can probably do a smaller portion.

Why bother doing that kind of math, when you can instead just turn it into 2 portions by eating 2lbs of potatoes per person?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doom Rooster posted:

Why bother doing that kind of math, when you can instead just turn it into 2 portions by eating 2lbs of potatoes per person?

Hell yeah.

Thanks for the suggestions all

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

This looks amazing. Thank you!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

8 hours total, flipping and mixing things up every couple hours.

I'll try just applying some extra za'atar at the end of the preparation next time. I'm also curious how a quick sauce made with the za'atar applied at the end might go?

Mix some za’atar into yogurt with some lemon juice for an easy sauce to go with your lamb. Kind of a deconstructed/reconstructed gyro situation. Don’t use leftover marinade for this, you aren’t cooking it. Also, for plating, you might try putting the yogurt sauce under the seared lamb so as not to ruin the nice crust you made.

If you try this, I hope it turns out well! I don’t even like lamb. One of the only meats I just never care for, and it saddens me. I would love to enjoy a beautiful rack of lamb, but it just tastes gnarly to me. Probably doesn’t help that I ate plenty of ground lamb and lamb chops growing up - nobody forced me, but I almost never put up any resistance to what was offered for dinner so little me didn’t really even realize he could say “no, I don’t think I’m ever going to care for this and should just stop trying it.”

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CzarChasm posted:

I do something similar regularly and have never chilled them. Seems to work fine? I'll give chilling a shot to see if it's better but I assure you it works without that step.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What can I use the vegatables/aromatics I throw into the soup stock liquid for afterwards? Fry it up in a pan and eat separately? Seems like a waste of a whole onion to throw it out.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm in the beginning stages of a kitchen redesign, and one of the challenges is that the space is rather small. We currently have a 30" range, but looking at replacing it with a wall oven and a cooktop. One of the considerations for the cooktop is a 24" vs 30". Is a 24" cooktop serviceable? It looks like some of the 24" tops only have 3 burners, but I can't really remember ever using more than 3 burners at once. Our range is a 5 burner, and we have definitely never used the middle 5th burner.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The point of putting vegetables in when making the stock is that all the good stuff in the veggies is in the stock now.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah if the veg you used to make your stock still tastes of anything, you have undercooked your stock.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
As for what to do with the spent scraps, compost 'em.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Also, just use onion scraps to make stock if you're worried about using every part

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Honestly I just slowly eat them as the stock is being made and I taste test. It's very similar to eating soup. If a veggie chunk is too small to spoon up it's too small for me to care.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Alrighty, what I did was use them to basically sponge up the residue in my pan where I was stir frying/seasoning my shiratake noodles in.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm in the beginning stages of a kitchen redesign, and one of the challenges is that the space is rather small. We currently have a 30" range, but looking at replacing it with a wall oven and a cooktop. One of the considerations for the cooktop is a 24" vs 30". Is a 24" cooktop serviceable? It looks like some of the 24" tops only have 3 burners, but I can't really remember ever using more than 3 burners at once. Our range is a 5 burner, and we have definitely never used the middle 5th burner.

What kind of range do you have now? 24" is going to be really cramped. I just completed (well ok, I still have a few things to finish) a kitchen remodel in a tiny rear end kitchen (100sqft or so), and went from a 30" radiant electric POS with the crappy metal heating elements to a 30" induction with a glass (ceramic? idk) top. The induction is wonderful but also the glass surface makes it extremely functional even when I am not using the range. It's like I also added 30" of counter space. Even if you aren't cooking more than 3 things at a time, the burners are going to be very close together so you might not be able to use more than two at once.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Trying to recreate a bar nachos recipe from my younger days which, among other things, used (I think) fried wonton wrappers as "chips". What do you think is the most efficient way to get a bunch of cut-up wonton wrappers fried into chip-like pieces? I doubt they took the time to deep-fry them all unless they were frying huge batches during prep. Think I could brush them with oil and bake them instead?

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

C-Euro posted:

Trying to recreate a bar nachos recipe from my younger days which, among other things, used (I think) fried wonton wrappers as "chips". What do you think is the most efficient way to get a bunch of cut-up wonton wrappers fried into chip-like pieces? I doubt they took the time to deep-fry them all unless they were frying huge batches during prep. Think I could brush them with oil and bake them instead?

Worked at a place in the 90's that did an appetizer of those fried wontons as a tortilla chip sub. We would fry a ton per shift and hold them in a bread warmer lined until service. Good news is they hold for a day or two in a sealed container after they cool. Bad news is you won't get the flavor or texture you remember without deep frying them. Pan frying doesn't get them as crispy and requires a ton of attention for very mixed results.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
You can buy a bag of wonton chips but they won't be the same, but everything mintymenman said is the right answer.

We make our own tortilla chips every day at work and even the most lazy braindead loser cooks on staff can pump out a huge cambro full in about 5 minutes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They're thin, they fry fast

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Fair enough! No problem with deep frying them beforehand if it's quick, thanks for confirming.

E: drat y'all weren't kidding, these things go quick.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 8, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Just made beef jollof rice and it turned out really good!

It’s a relatively dry dish though, since the recipe was very strict about cooking the rice so that there isn’t any juice left and the rice grains are separate and not mushy. What should it be served with? Google tells me Nigerian coleslaw (?) or poached eggs.

I know absolutely nothing about west African food beyond this recipe

e: this recipe and accompanying video https://cheflolaskitchen.com/basmati-jollof-rice-recipe/

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 7, 2024

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have made this exact dish from this exact recipe and had exactly the same experience as you. Tastes good, too dry.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is there a baking thread? I had a cake stuck in my mind(chocolate chip with cookie butter frosting), and I made it, and the cake didn't rise very well and the buttercream was too dense.

I think I'm not putting enough air into either so that's a start.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Alright, cards on the table. I grew up as an extremely picky eater and haven't grown out of that yet. A majority of my meals each week are some variety of fried chicken and fries. The other go-tos are cereal, pizza, burgers, philly cheesesteaks, and pork tenderloin sandwiches. I only venture out of this very narrow zone a couple of days per month. I guess it's fortunate that I have absolutely no issue with repetition in my diet.

Over the past five years, I've tried a few new foods each year based on friend recommendations, most recently sushi. The hit rate for enjoying those new foods has been like 60%, which really should encourage me to experiment much more, but I haven't.

I think it might be because I've also made a lot of other changes over these past five years. I started calorie counting in 2019 and dropped from 230 pounds to 175. I changed very little about the composition of what I ate (outside of cutting desserts/snacks), but I started being careful about the volume of what I ate. I also began walking regularly two years ago and weightlifting regularly one year ago. I think that the main thing that has blocked me from food experimentation is the calorie counting. I usually eat one meal a day, and I'm rigid enough about my weekly calorie limit that I rarely want to take a risk on something I might not like.

But I'm feeling a little more motivated to work on the composition of my diet now that I think it's my biggest blocker for better health. I'm planning to meet with a registered dietitian this year to get a sense of where my biggest nutritional deficiencies are with my current diet, but I have a simpler question for this thread:

Does anyone have recommendations for foods to try that are...

- Relatively low in calories,
- Easy to buy or prepare for one person rather than family-sized,
- Relatively high in protein,
- and appealing to a generic Midwestern American palate?

Those four attributes are listed in descending priority order. There are a fair number of snack options out there that meet these criteria, but a big part of my weight loss was no longer snacking, so I'm really looking for meal ideas. I also have virtually no cooking skills; I've learned how to cook a steak and that's about it. So that's a big impediment, but I'm willing to try to learn some basics if needed.

Sorry, that's a lot of backstory for a general questions thread! Thank you for any recommendations you can provide, I appreciate it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Omelettes and other egg based dishes?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You might want to try that question here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=179

Edit: specifically this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876241

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

surf rock posted:

Sorry, that's a lot of backstory for a general questions thread! Thank you for any recommendations you can provide, I appreciate it.

I don't have any specific recommendations for you off the top of my head, but I just want to say that I'm excited for you to open your horizon a bit and try new things. I don't think it has to be as rigid as you're describing, but whatever works for you. I'm excited for you and the new experiences and tastes you're talking about pursuing. It really is one of life's greatest pleasures. Good luck in your journey and keep at it!

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 9, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Never mind

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 9, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

surf rock posted:

I do have one recommendation! It's somewhat adventurous, but I think it meets your criteria and may take one of two practice rounds, but should be easy enough to learn how to cook. One of my favorite things recently. Sometimes I'll add some sliced avocado on top.

https://www.thekitchn.com/chili-crisp-fried-eggs-recipe-23557417#post-recipe-555221455

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I made coconut shrimp

The sauce calls for Thai chili sauce and stone fruit preserves

Is Sambal Oelek a good substitute for Thai chili sauce? Is it basically the same thing?
Not really on its own but since you're already adding something sweet it might be sort of ok if you also add as many of rice vinegar, fish sauce, garlic, and ginger as you have on hand.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

alnilam posted:

Omelettes and other egg based dishes?

Oh, I've never tried eggs before; they're a lot fewer calories than I would've guessed. There's a diner I like nearby; I'll try them there and if I like the taste, I'll put in the time to learn how to cook them. Great tip, thank you!

Internet Explorer posted:

I do have one recommendation! It's somewhat adventurous, but I think it meets your criteria and may take one of two practice rounds, but should be easy enough to learn how to cook. One of my favorite things recently. Sometimes I'll add some sliced avocado on top.

https://www.thekitchn.com/chili-crisp-fried-eggs-recipe-23557417#post-recipe-555221455

I'll try this specific preparation too, probably after trying a plainer version first. Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

surf rock posted:

Oh, I've never tried eggs before; they're a lot fewer calories than I would've guessed. There's a diner I like nearby; I'll try them there and if I like the taste, I'll put in the time to learn how to cook them. Great tip, thank you!

Eggs are a versatile food that easily picks up flavors from spices or other foods it's mixed with. I would guess that the diner will probably just give you eggs with salt and pepper, but you can do just about anything with them, really.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

surf rock posted:

It’s time some CHILLI!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Scientastic posted:

It’s time some CHILLI!

Good, actual chilli wouldn't be low calorie. Stews incorrectly called chilli might, though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

surf rock posted:

I'll try this specific preparation too, probably after trying a plainer version first. Thanks!

For sure! Eggs cook easily in butter, salt, and pepper. Just know that they are one of those easy to learn, hard to master foods. Incredibly versatile, in fact legendarily so!

On rice, for this type of meal it works best if the rice is a day or two old and you heat it up in a non-stick pan with some oil. Like a lightly fried rice.

So if you just put eggs cooked with butter with salt and pepper on top of the lightly friend rice, that's a great base! If there are any condiments you like, pour them on top. Even if it's something as simple as ketchup. From there you can adjust over time as you get used to new flavors.

mystes
May 31, 2006

surf rock posted:

Alright, cards on the table. I grew up as an extremely picky eater and haven't grown out of that yet. A majority of my meals each week are some variety of fried chicken and fries. The other go-tos are cereal, pizza, burgers, philly cheesesteaks, and pork tenderloin sandwiches. I only venture out of this very narrow zone a couple of days per month. I guess it's fortunate that I have absolutely no issue with repetition in my diet.

Over the past five years, I've tried a few new foods each year based on friend recommendations, most recently sushi. The hit rate for enjoying those new foods has been like 60%, which really should encourage me to experiment much more, but I haven't.

I think it might be because I've also made a lot of other changes over these past five years. I started calorie counting in 2019 and dropped from 230 pounds to 175. I changed very little about the composition of what I ate (outside of cutting desserts/snacks), but I started being careful about the volume of what I ate. I also began walking regularly two years ago and weightlifting regularly one year ago. I think that the main thing that has blocked me from food experimentation is the calorie counting. I usually eat one meal a day, and I'm rigid enough about my weekly calorie limit that I rarely want to take a risk on something I might not like.

But I'm feeling a little more motivated to work on the composition of my diet now that I think it's my biggest blocker for better health. I'm planning to meet with a registered dietitian this year to get a sense of where my biggest nutritional deficiencies are with my current diet, but I have a simpler question for this thread:

Those four attributes are listed in descending priority order. There are a fair number of snack options out there that meet these criteria, but a big part of my weight loss was no longer snacking, so I'm really looking for meal ideas. I also have virtually no cooking skills; I've learned how to cook a steak and that's about it. So that's a big impediment, but I'm willing to try to learn some basics if needed.

If you're already restricting calories, you're concerned about healthiness, and you don't mind lack of variety maybe look for healthy meal prep recipes (e.g. on youtube) and see if anything strikes your fancy?

While in general I would recommend trying new foods too, I wonder if for the time being you would have better results by simply trying to shift to slightly healthier foods that aren't that far off from what you're eating.

E.g. if you don't mind plain chicken breast, using that in place of some of the fried stuff and find any vegetable you can stand and just eating that with every meal might work for you if you don't have that much of a need for variety

I would probably go crazy that way but if you can tolerate it, that might be the easiest thing for you for the moment.

Seeing a dietitian is a great idea and maybe they can suggest foods for you as well.

If you want to try more new foods that might be easier if you reach a point where you can ease up on your dietary restrictions a little more.

mystes fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 9, 2024

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Find a salad dressing you like, say ranch, then make big gently caress off salads. You get tremendous volume for low calories. If you like the dressing, you'll like the salad. Then add what you like to your greens: hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, croutons, green onion, and so on.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

surf rock posted:

Not to be a dick, but at this point, you can just google something like “top 10 vegetables US” and then “healthy carrot recipes” or “basic corn recipes” and repeat for like a year. Or google everything on the healthy/diet section of the diner menu. We can’t really be helpful if none of us, including you, have any clue what you’d like. You can also, like I said in the other thread, follow registered dietitians (or healthy cutting athletes) on social media and see what they make/eat/recommend and whether any of it sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I guess I thought that they were asking for foods to open up their tastes and not just healthier foods. If you can lose weight while eating fried chicken and french fries, I don't think cutting calories or satiation is the problem.