Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

something like this above the plant room not an option?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I tried to get it up there but it said it was scared of heights

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
dumb question here...

is that legal to have your breaker panel and main electrical feed that close to water lines/ hot water tank? I don't think that is code in the US anyway.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

people ask me this. and I'm like lol, how bad are you ar your water and power? just have them right next door to each other? as like a challenge.

lol I have no idea

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

people ask me this. and I'm like lol, how bad are you ar your water and power? just have them right next door to each other? as like a challenge.

lol I have no idea

Do you want to have to build a second plant room? Because this is how you end up building a second plant room.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i live with a big plant room as my basement

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Ratjaculation posted:

The thread gave you plenty of reasons why this is a terrible placement for it

good for future content, mind.

Now is the winter of this content

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
excuse me sir i'm from the council how deep are the piles under that heat pump? i hope they are at least 16 meters deep

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

towards l shape architecture: my plan is out the window, nothing lines up

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Any UK sized house things will seem close together compared to the US. I think the heat pump will work alright.

As long as he knows where the stopcock is, all grand.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Some Guy From NY posted:

dumb question here...

is that legal to have your breaker panel and main electrical feed that close to water lines/ hot water tank? I don't think that is code in the US anyway.

The layout of the plant room has been discussed with the electrician signing everything off. He mounted the consumer unit where it is and is coming on Friday to install the proper cable from the cabinet into the consumer unit. So if he had any issues I'll find out then but they're shouldn't be.

They're don't seem to be any regulations regarding spacing water pipes and stuff away from a consumer unit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think here in the states its more of a legacy rule still on the books, although it wasn't originally because my panel and gas meter are too close and if I want my panel upgraded it has to be moved because of that. But like, in 1980 or something, maybe one in every 10,000 gas meters leaked a bit, and also one in every 1000 electrical panels sparked a bit, and that means a certain number of houses caught fire every year and they decided it was a bit too many and implemented a code requirement for distance because the alternative was insisting that gas meters not leak and panels not spark and that's just too hard and not realistic or something

but now it's 2024 and both of those ideas are more reasonable and they should maybe relax that bit of code so a new panel would cost me $2500 instead of $8000.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the elaborate ducting ordered from Moldova that will direct the heat pump air so it doesn't just bounce off the fence, that'll be a fun update for august

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

He's gonna replace the fence with fence-coloured mesh like one of those net mask wackos

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Isn't the fence collapsing anyways? Maybe a passing drunk (or builder-piss-induced subsidence) just happens to push it over the other direction one night and the problem is solved.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The knob on the roof will fall off and take care of the fence.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The knob on the roof will fall off and take care of the fence.
No he finished the tiles ages ago :v:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

We're currently looking to buy a house in Essex, and every time we go to a fixer upper that's "got potential" my eyes glaze over and I get flashbacks of this thread and then run screaming from the property. And I wouldn't even attempt much of the work myself :geno:

Genuinely just want a turn key house after watching all of this

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Love the thread though

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Amphigory posted:

We're currently looking to buy a house in Essex, and every time we go to a fixer upper that's "got potential" my eyes glaze over and I get flashbacks of this thread and then run screaming from the property. And I wouldn't even attempt much of the work myself :geno:

Genuinely just want a turn key house after watching all of this

Is any house truly turnkey. Even new builds seem to be complete garbage piles these days.

I feel like the only bet is finding a house that 's been owned by the same people for 20+ years, they cared deeply about maintaining it, and had enough money or skill to actually do so.
And then you'd probably still want to do updates.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

get a static caravan

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

Is any house truly turnkey. Even new builds seem to be complete garbage piles these days.

I believe the official term is "ab-solutely shocking"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've no idea how I'd even identify a turnkey house if I saw one, unless I was somehow an expert in every aspect of housebuilding (no). Even an outwardly nice-looking house could have bad electrics, or damp issues, or any number of covered-up problems.

Even surveyors don't seem trustworthy, and lol at the idea of spending £1500+ on a full survey on a house you might not even be allowed to buy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Typical survey is a few hundred quid for a bloke to send you a boilerplate form that says "house is probably fine but I couldn't check anything really so you can't sue me"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Typical survey is a few hundred quid for a bloke to send you a boilerplate form that says "house is probably fine but I couldn't check anything really so you can't sue me"

"Drove past and I can confirm that it does indeed look to be a house (from some angles at least)"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gort posted:

Even surveyors don't seem trustworthy, and lol at the idea of spending £1500+ on a full survey on a house you might not even be allowed to buy.
Our surveyor basically walked round the outside checking the pointing and then pretty much everthing else was just 'couldn't check that because the occupants had put a cupboard in front of it, probably not sus.'

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I remember when my brother bought his new build house a while back. He had to pay £500 for a survey before they'd give him the mortgage. Turns out the guy did a "drive-by" survey which is an actual thing.

https://chartered-surveyor-london.c...n%20beforehand.

Give me that job, please. Takes the absolute piss.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
We paid a company ~£350 to do a full survey of our house. Just to be sure we didn’t miss anything obvious, which would screw us in the long run.

Took half a day of the guy checking stuff.
Everything was fine according to him, and we got a certificate, etc.

Got the house in March - fast-forward to October when we started the heating.
Apparently all heating to the 2’nd floor didn’t work. The contractors who renovated the place(and we bought it from) cut into the heating pipes when they laid the new boards.
Assholes just emptied the pipes, disconnected the pipes from our central heater and laid the floor.

Then in retrospect we wondered how the guy who did the inspection, didn’t bother to check if the actual heating to half the house actually worked.

Insurance luckily covered it. The repair price ended up costing ~£15000, due to some moisture damage between floors.

That’s my story of surveying being a waste of money

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

JunkDeluxe posted:

we wondered how the guy who did the inspection, didn’t bother to check if the actual heating to half the house actually worked
to be fair you can't expect a guy to check EVERY tiny detail like that

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

JunkDeluxe posted:

We paid a company ~£350 to do a full survey of our house. Just to be sure we didn’t miss anything obvious, which would screw us in the long run.

Took half a day of the guy checking stuff.
Everything was fine according to him, and we got a certificate, etc.

Got the house in March - fast-forward to October when we started the heating.
Apparently all heating to the 2’nd floor didn’t work. The contractors who renovated the place(and we bought it from) cut into the heating pipes when they laid the new boards.
Assholes just emptied the pipes, disconnected the pipes from our central heater and laid the floor.

Then in retrospect we wondered how the guy who did the inspection, didn’t bother to check if the actual heating to half the house actually worked.

Insurance luckily covered it. The repair price ended up costing ~£15000, due to some moisture damage between floors.

That’s my story of surveying being a waste of money

Not sure it matters (or honestly if I'm even correct lol) I'd call that an "inspection" where "surveying" usually means measuring/marking land and boundaries. Might just be a language thing too who knows. Why am I even posting?

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Not sure it matters (or honestly if I'm even correct lol) I'd call that an "inspection" where "surveying" usually means measuring/marking land and boundaries. Might just be a language thing too who knows. Why am I even posting?

Got it wrong..

It was an inspection - not a land measurement guy. I thought that was what you meant by “survey” to begin with. :saddowns:

To mention it as well. The government(danish)mandated inspection the seller needs to have made, didn’t catch it either.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The surveys or whatever I had done were more related to the land than the building seeing as the only building on site was getting knocked down. Possibly, I can't remember someone signed to say it had no asbestos in it. It was mostly things any idiot can probably do, like ask the relevant bodies if theres any railway lines about to compulsory purchase your property and stuff like that.

But also they checked out the various deeds that had been drawn up as the various plots of lands had been subdivided and traded over the years. Like if there were any covenants or anything preventing building and stuff. Like technically my neighbour isnt allowed to store a caravan anywhere I can see it. Which sounds completely pointless and unenforceable.

Anyway I bought a lightbulb and tried to see if I could remember what i'd wired up to what.

lol

light did not come on.

Had another read of my detailed douments I've made to record everything and I'd wired up the wrong neutrals. Its mostly because I keep renaming things halfway through but don't keep things consistently updated so Need to have a look at all that.

Let there be light! This is still all temporary stuff but good to get a bit of my poo poo together before electrician comes on friday.

Otherwise still plugging away in the plantroom

So thats the hot water manifold. Not really much of a manifold, its just to receive the domestic (like taps and poo poo) hot water from the tank and split it to send up the wall into the bedroom wing where the bathrooms are served from above via the service triangles, and to the living wing where the kitchen etc are served from below under the slab.

oh and theres that somewhat pointless tundish I've hidden away behind the tank. It'll never be any good for visual inspection anyway as its pipe run already runs down into the ground and back up. But does serve as an air break so any possible drain backup can't get to my mains drinking water supply and poison me.

underfloor heating loop with heatpump runs ready to be pushed through the wall behind the drain stack there in the middle. And connections to the buffer tank.

Another lookat that slightly not ideal woodburner tundish behind the hot water tank

A look the other way showing access behind the buffer tank and some of the various poo poo there. That power cable dangling in the middle is just my temp power and wont be there eventually. Also the mains water coming in throught he floor and the big topcock is currently bypassing my whole system into the white hep20 plastic bits to allow me continued use of the outdoor tap and a half plumbed up toilet indoors for when my nephew needs emergency poos. This will at some point be chopped off right in the centre of this picture and 90 degree elbow into the system, getting rid of all the white plastic bits above.

Better look at the domestic hot water tank. That pump sat on the floor will be mounted inline to the gap directly above it. Its the warm water return pump. It'll need a couple of thermostats on the 15mm feeds in to tell it to cycle of the water has been left too long and got cold. I dunno exactly how to work that with the two wings? Just either or pump them both I guess. The left hand run to the bedroom wing still to be piped on this picture.

Almost done. a couple more things to add in.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Almost done. a couple more things to add in.

The plants?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lolling at the effort to results ratio here

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

peanut posted:

Lolling at the effort to results ratio here

Dozens of people in shortsleaves sweating as they reroute power on a massive switchboard. Minutes pass and tension rises. Suddenly a wave of relief as power thrums through the building.

Finally, NJAN can remotely unlock his front door.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Obtuse switchboard puzzles go well with the air-tight Resident Evil house vibes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just Winging It posted:

Obtuse switchboard puzzles go well with the air-tight Resident Evil house vibes.

The foundations do go suspiciously deep for such a small house..

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

:five:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

So hyped for the first time you turn the hot water on