Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol 32 quid a go at Screwfix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

In that case have you heard of

Gang DP Switched Socket??? Ho ho noooooo thank you, this is a SFW board!

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol 32 quid a go at Screwfix.

That’s a 5 pack you muppet.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Rapulum_Dei posted:

That’s a 5 pack you muppet.

Oh lol.

My electrician has stitched me up with these Hager ones then

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Get these if you have somewhere with nice wallpaper

https://www.corston.com/products/2g13a-usb-uk-clear-black

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Starbucks posted:

Get these if you have somewhere with nice wallpaper

https://www.corston.com/products/2g13a-usb-uk-clear-black

£72 a go!

this is why i fell for the price of the earlier ones

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

£72 a go!

this is why i fell for the price of the earlier ones

Sexy sockets are nice. Double USB-C too, can’t get that cheap. In fact one of the rare ones I found for it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

they would be a loving nightmare to fit. have to have the wall pefect behind them? all the way up to various plastic bits? i'm already having a breakdown

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

They are fairly niche, they do normal ones not just clear but also expensive. Though if anyone finds a 2 gang 2x USB-C socket cheaper let me know — doing the kitchen up soon

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
look i think you try and one-up groverhaus and have different socket styles everywhere

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

they would be a loving nightmare to fit. have to have the wall pefect behind them? all the way up to various plastic bits? i'm already having a breakdown

It's a combination of a normal back box and deceit.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
I hated having to tidy up around the sockets after our electrician had cut them into our wall, impossible to get a semi decent finish especially with the huge holes he left around the cutouts which seemed completely unnecessary, but eh most of them are being units now anyway.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I found this for £40 which looks to do what I want. I only want one of these at the moment for the kitchen (2x Normal Double Gang and 4x Switch with names on it which they do for kitchen appliances)

https://www.soholighting.com/soho-lighting-brushed-chrome-2-gang-usb-cc-socket-13a-socket-2-usb-c-31a-ports-with-black-insert

But yeah, that’s for the little area where my keys / Alexa / Stuff goes so stuff goes on charge there.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Starbucks posted:

I found this for £40 which looks to do what I want. I only want one of these at the moment for the kitchen (2x Normal Double Gang and 4x Switch with names on it which they do for kitchen appliances)

https://www.soholighting.com/soho-lighting-brushed-chrome-2-gang-usb-cc-socket-13a-socket-2-usb-c-31a-ports-with-black-insert

But yeah, that’s for the little area where my keys / Alexa / Stuff goes so stuff goes on charge there.

You likely already know this but those sockets don't support USB-C PD, just regular 5v charging

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

You likely already know this but those sockets don't support USB-C PD, just regular 5v charging

It’s about 25W so it’ll do for most I lob into it, kindle, phone etc.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Just turn the entire house floor into a giant wireless charging pad with heating to boot, you’ll become a trendsetter!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sorted out the final power connection through the wall to the heatpump.

Doesnt look much but ffs that was a lot of effort for what it is. 40quids worth of the metal conduit threading tool and bugger me hard work to get it done. Completely unnecessary but once you commit to a thing. It also looks not quite right, at an angle. lol whatever

Starting to actually solder together the bits and pieces from the plant room. Pulling them off in small numbers before really getting it on and doing them all in one bit splurge of gunk.

I've given up a bit on making them look OK, just get them done such that they arent failures and leak.

Marking them up with my little pen.

my dad forced me to buy this reamer. Its pointless and doesnt do anything

As I solder up each little section I'm pressure testign them with the kit I bought ages ago from when I buried the copper for the woodburner under the floor

hmmm before i was only doing 22mm pipe. Now I've got three different diameters of pipe, 15mm, 22mm and 28mm. So I've had to buy a few extra bits to go with some of the repurposed plastic hep2o bits from my bristol leftovers. Had to solder up a few reduction sections of pipe too. It was the cheapest way to cover every eventuality

I've gotten pretty good and everything is pretty much ok. When I do think its going to be a bit dodgy... it is. Which at least means I know what I'm doing.

Like this one

Wasn't sure. its where the joints are close together, you gently caress up the previous one doing the next one.

Smoking

So yeah when one section fails the pressure test, figure out where.

bubbles. And redo it

lol a 3 way bit and I need to realy test my trashcan diving to find all the bits together to test it

finally goes into place.

Still a gently caress load to do.

Parents friends visit them and want a look around so I open the bifold doors. of course they now refuse to shut again.

The popper thing at the top won't go back down. dunno how it ever opened really? Ring the guy who fitted them like a year ago. not hugely interested.

Eventually fix it with my waterpump pliers just twisting the gently caress out of it.

This is what paint looks like

up close

bit poo poo.

Trying some lights out

Eurgh another thing

Some of the metal washers I;ve used in the ceiling are rusting through the plaster. I've checked and they are supposed to be up to this and galvanised.

Reading up on it a bit. Its basically cheap poo poo I've bought from amazon from china and it isnt what it says it is or at least not very good at it.

bought some zinc galvanising paint stuff to paint on them, hopefully paint over and itll all be good.

ffs

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
I love this thread

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
that's what paint looks like up close. If you want it to be smoother you can sand the interior of the whole house with v fine-grit

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

Its basically cheap poo poo I've bought from amazon from china and it isnt what it says it is or at least not very good at it.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

that's what paint looks like up close. If you want it to be smoother you can sand the interior of the whole house with v fine-grit

Maybe he could get a better roller cover? But yea, that's what paint looks like

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Amazon really shouldn't get anyones money if they can avoid it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Something like a dulux trade matt has less binder in it and is smoother as a result, but still not that much different up close.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I imagine if you sprayed the whole gaff you'd get a good finish as well, but barring that it's a big sander and high grit

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Next post - nn has bought an airless sprayer system

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Off of eBay.

Shipping from China.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I wonder why professional builders don't source their supplies from Alibaba, eBay, and Amazon.

Ah well, guess we'll never know.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

When these pipes burst, will the bodged bifold doors hold in the water?

I assume the attic will be a habitable air pocket

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Towards an L-shaped aquarium

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ratjaculation posted:

When these pipes burst, will the bodged bifold doors hold in the water?

I assume the attic will be a habitable air pocket

It's going to be the opposite of OceanGate

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

I imagine if you sprayed the whole gaff you'd get a good finish as well, but barring that it's a big sander and high grit

You're supposed to roll it in after spraying so I think you'll wind up with a rolled finish anyway.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaded Burnout posted:

You're supposed to roll it in after spraying so I think you'll wind up with a rolled finish anyway.

Really? What a faff

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Really? What a faff

That's the impression I got when I was deciding whether to spray or roll my house, and the conclusion seemed to be "yeah it's faster if you don't do the rolling in after, like they do in the spray gun product demos, because they want to sell you it on speed".

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you really want a smooth finish, how about doing some venetian plaster? Can't be more difficult than everything else you've done.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

my dad forced me to buy this reamer. Its pointless and doesnt do anything

Those remove the lip inside the pipe so you don't end up with turbulence eroding your copper pipes from the inside out over the next few years. Or you can use the dull blade that folds out the back of most pipe cutters.

Why are you using copper when this project already has so much PEX already?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Why are you using copper when this project already has so much PEX already?

cos copper looks sexy. like a submarine or something

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Not even gonna make fun of that, I respect it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Meanwhile, someone's doing dahir insaat IRL stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hsR7GnmO4w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008