Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not sure it’s a coincidence that the one time Luffy pretty definitively killed somebody he was in G5

I mean with how insanely durable Kaido was I don’t think winning the fight via K.O. was ever much of an option. Anything less than melting him in molten lava and he woulda gotten back up, chugged a bottle of sake, and went back to swinging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it really feels like the arc just took a turn to traditional fights with the vice admirals who already got headshots now getting name panels as luffy says hes not letting these two get away

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

anime was right posted:

it really feels like the arc just took a turn to traditional fights with the vice admirals who already got headshots now getting name panels as luffy says hes not letting these two get away

You say that, but one of those vice admirals got pancaked into the turf by Broggy one panel after his title card. I think this arc is wrapping up sooner rather than later.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

all the admirals in turn will get flattened by a giant

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah I think the Vice Admiral boss title was less of an intro into fights and more of a reestablishing Dorry and Brogy are very, very strong thing because he gets very casually one shotted.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Caidin posted:

Yeah I think the Vice Admiral boss title was less of an intro into fights and more of a reestablishing Dorry and Brogy are very, very strong thing because he gets very casually one shotted.

I think it's also because we'll probably be seeing a lot of stuff through their eyes and it'd be weird to not know their names.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder if Saul's former subordinate is tagging along to Elbaf, or if Oda's just setting up for the final battle with the WG. She's one of the new members of SWORD we were in introduced to, right?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Caidin posted:

Just how strong is Mr 3????

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

No Wave posted:

He is the right hand man to one of the Four Emperors, so he's like, Sanji/Cracker tier, if not Katakuri/Zoro.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Quietly adding Van Auger to my ever growing One Piece list of "Wow that character is way taller than I thought. They're like, really, really tall--!!"

Him vs Usopp is gonna be fun.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

No Wave posted:

He's one the executive officers of Buggy himself. Respect.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

No Wave posted:

Yeah, there's a bit of a Lord of the Coast-style power level discrepancy there. Though I guess the discrepancy was already there back in Little Garden to an extent; the way they wrecked the giant goldfish at the end of the arc was somewhat beyond their performance prior to that. Maybe they're just stronger when fighting alongside each other instead of against each other?

Edit: Also, they probably have better weapons now; the ones they used back in Little Garden were explicitly worn down. Plus they might have gotten stronger over the time skip due to facing difficult enemies or something.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 23, 2024

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Desumaytah posted:

Quietly adding Van Auger to my ever growing One Piece list of "Wow that character is way taller than I thought. They're like, really, really tall--!!"

the way he holds his giant stupid gun is so funny

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Desumaytah posted:

Blackbeard’s crew are kinda like a parallel version of Luffy’s in that most of them are iirc slightly to way taller than him, only Blackbeard himself is well over seven feet tall so except for Laffte they’re all bigger than you’d expect, even Doc Q and Stronger.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
What if Rocks was the last guy who ran around screaming Gum Gum?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

PuttyKnife posted:

What if Rocks was the last guy who ran around screaming Gum Gum?

This has a similar problem to the old theory about Roger having the Gum Gum Fruit. I feel like if Xebec had the same DF as Luffy, someone would have mentioned it. Xebec isn't as well-known as Roger, but Big Mom, Kaidou, Whitebeard, and Shiki were all members of the Rocks Pirates, while Rayleigh and Garp fought against them. None of them commented on Luffy's Devil Fruit being familiar to them. Quite the opposite: Shiki underestimates Luffy (although Strong World's canonicity is questionable), while Kaidou is surprised by Luffy's powers not actually behaving much like rubber.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 23, 2024

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, there's a bit of a Lord of the Coast-style power level discrepancy there. Though I guess the discrepancy was already there back in Little Garden to an extent; the way they wrecked the giant goldfish at the end of the arc was somewhat beyond their performance prior to that. Maybe they're just stronger when fighting alongside each other instead of against each other?

Edit: Also, they probably have better weapons now; the ones they used back in Little Garden were explicitly worn down. Plus they might have gotten stronger over the time skip due to facing difficult enemies or something.

Also not tired anymore from continuously fighting each other for 100 years? Training hard and then resting is a pretty consistent way to have a peak performance

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
on little garden, dorry and brogy got exploded from the inside and then restrained while they couldn't move. it's not like mr. 3 sauntered up to them and openly picked a fight.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

No Wave posted:

Also was the only person able to go toe-to-toe with Magellan. Dude's no slouch

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Also was the only person able to go toe-to-toe with Magellan. Dude's no slouch

His fruit is insanely powerful, AND he's not an idiot like Foxy! It's no wonder he ended up the direct subordinate of an emperor, that's his appropriate power level.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

This has a similar problem to the old theory about Roger having the Gum Gum Fruit. I feel like if Xebec had the same DF as Luffy, someone would have mentioned it. Xebec isn't as well-known as Roger, but Big Mom, Kaidou, Whitebeard, and Shiki were all members of the Rocks Pirates, while Rayleigh and Garp fought against them. None of them commented on Luffy's Devil Fruit being familiar to them. Quite the opposite: Shiki underestimates Luffy (although Strong World's canonicity is questionable), while Kaidou is surprised by Luffy's powers not actually behaving much like rubber.

the events of all movies are non canon, but characters introduced from strong world onwards along with their backstories/connections to the world generally are (shiki, uta)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

on little garden, dorry and brogy got exploded from the inside and then restrained while they couldn't move. it's not like mr. 3 sauntered up to them and openly picked a fight.

I agree that they were clearly stronger than Mr. 3 in a straight fight even back then. But I can't see Mr. 3 taking out, say, pre-timeskip Rob Lucci no matter how underhanded his tactics, and taking out a Vice Admiral that easily implies that they're above that level now.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

the events of all movies are non canon, but characters introduced from strong world onwards along with their backstories/connections to the world generally are (shiki, uta)

Yes, Shiki being a Rocks Pirate is canon. I was only questioning whether his fight with Luffy was canon.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Didn't Crocodile say at one point that the only reason Mr 3 was ranked so high in Baroque Works was because of his tactical skills, not cause he was that strong?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

I agree that they were clearly stronger than Mr. 3 in a straight fight even back then. But I can't see Mr. 3 taking out, say, pre-timeskip Rob Lucci no matter how underhanded his tactics, and taking out a Vice Admiral that easily implies that they're above that level now.

That's because Lucci is a vicious assassin who is also very smart. The whole point of Mr 3 in that arc is that raw strength isn't the only thing that matters.

Mr 3 is stronger than the vice admiral that got flattened the same way that Puck is stronger than Guts :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that mr. 3 could probably restrain most non-logias if he got them while they were incapacitated. perospero could probably do the same thing, though likely without mr. 3's resistance to poison. but this is even more true of seastone, which no one has been capable of breaking yet.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Spoilers for next week:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think that mr. 3 could probably restrain most non-logias if he got them while they were incapacitated. perospero could probably do the same thing, though likely without mr. 3's resistance to poison. but this is even more true of seastone, which no one has been capable of breaking yet.

Isn't the bomb cuffs on camie and yamato made out of seastone?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I stopped to look it up, but we know more twice as many vice admirals then any other rank of marine. Maybe they are the jobber unit

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kild posted:

Isn't the bomb cuffs on camie and yamato made out of seastone?

No just delicate and will explode if tampered with

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

a couple of exploding arms doesn't seem like a big deal at all imo

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Caidin posted:

I stopped to look it up, but we know more twice as many vice admirals then any other rank of marine. Maybe they are the jobber unit

Makes sense tbh, pre time skip, they were the "oh poo poo we're in trouble" dudes, just one step below admiral, post time skip, they're roughly on par with the crew now. That would naturally lead itself to us knowing more of them. We don't need to know the name of every private in the navy because they wouldn't last a second against anyone on the crew anymore.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

still reeling from how loving sick that panel of Luffy grabbing Kizaru and Saturn is

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Meowywitch posted:

a couple of exploding arms doesn't seem like a big deal at all imo

In the world of One Piece, explosions are the weakest power you could have

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Drakkel posted:

In the world of One Piece, explosions are the weakest power you could have

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Drakkel posted:

Didn't Crocodile say at one point that the only reason Mr 3 was ranked so high in Baroque Works was because of his tactical skills, not cause he was that strong?

Yeah, and for good reason imo. Mr. 3 got Dorry to swallow explosives, who was still strong enough afterwards to drag a gigantic skull onto Luffy before fighting and losing to Broggy. Then Mr. 3 swooped in and trapped Broggy in wax while he was overcome with emotion. Neither giant had a chance to show what they could do before Mr. 3 disabled them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

not long after beating doflamingo Luffy almost died from eating a fish.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol gently caress yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh vegapunk is a horrific criminal enabling some of the worst atrocities of the world government lately but if he's about to flip the script and drop a spoiler bomb on THE ENTIRE WORLD as a Final gently caress You then I can't hate him hahahahaha

Star Platinum posted:

D. Octor Vegapunk :prepop:
lmao please do this

tbp posted:

yeah, i felt like i was crazy a bit given the larger fandoms response, but to me g5 is very... unsettling. there's something just truly off about it.
Gods are meant to be terrifying.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I don't remember him ever appearing before but as a long time Ultraman fan I was very amused to see Red King show up

CORN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Vegapunk: I've come to make an announcement Saturn is a bitch rear end motherfucker.