Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It might just be that being able to pause when offline gives would just be another incentive for people to ignore the online component entirely.
Sekiro allowed pausing so its not like Fromsoft is against pausing on principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Also modern FROM has released two completely offline campaigns: Sekiro and AC6, and they both have pause buttons. They're obviously not anti-pausing, but integrating pause into a game that's meant to be constantly online isn't as trivial as you make it sound. How do you handle invasions when the game is paused? What if you want to pause while someone is invading? Does pausing simply not work sometimes?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

veni veni veni posted:

name another game with persistent online elements that are remotely comparable to dark souls that does this. At any given time there are messages, player ghosts running around and the potential for interaction with other players with varying levels of predictability. I don't see any way to let people pause without breaking those features.

You can literally play the game without ps plus and you do not get access to these features, this isn’t the point you think it is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Volte posted:

Also modern FROM has released two completely offline campaigns: Sekiro and AC6, and they both have pause buttons. They're obviously not anti-pausing, but integrating pause into a game that's meant to be constantly online isn't as trivial as you make it sound. How do you handle invasions when the game is paused? What if you want to pause while someone is invading? Does pausing simply not work sometimes?

Diablo 3 solved all these problems in like 2012.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Volte posted:

Yeah, this. If you try to pause when being invaded, it tells you that pausing is disabled. It's a real simple solution.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Volte posted:

It's to piss you off

more games should piss off modern gamers who are too cushioned for autosaving save anywhere pause any time. theyve become too soft!!! im in talks with kojima right now to remove pausing during cutscenes in ds2

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Seriously, this has been solved for decades and every time souls fans can’t wrap their head around it lmao

Must be str builds

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

name another game with persistent online elements that are remotely comparable to dark souls that does this. At any given time there are messages, player ghosts running around and the potential for interaction with other players with varying levels of predictability. I don't see any way to let people pause without breaking those features.

All of those are asynchronous and don't require that time in your gameworld and someone else's runs at the same rate. It would be easy to have a pause button that works except when there's another player in your game

Watchdogs 1 actually did that, but it had the side effect that you could get warned someone was stalking you by whether or not the map paused

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Deathloop has the same invasion mechanic and can be paused, btw

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

You can literally play the game without ps plus and you do not get access to these features, this isn’t the point you think it is

There's also an offline mode I already acknowledged. Good job missing the point though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Deathloop has the same invasion mechanic and can be paused, btw

It can also be disabled entirely, which I think any game with an invasion mechanic should have.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

There's also an offline mode I already acknowledged. Good job missing the point though.

Which can’t be paused

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Which can’t be paused

Are you capable of reading? Go read my post again dumbshit.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Hey, I'm all for pausing where applicable, but I also don't really blame them for not implementing it, both to make offline and online mode follow the same "rules" and also because it's just more engineering work to make it integrate properly with online mode when you can already save and quit anywhere without losing progress.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Games should have pause

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
There has been no pause in Souls games since the first one, but maybe this debate will finally make people stop getting angry online about it

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I would like to pause this discussion

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

hey mom its 420 posted:

I would like to pause this discussion
Too bad, it's always online :twisted:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RandomHodge posted:

There has been no pause in Souls games since the first one, but maybe this debate will finally make people stop getting angry online about it

That is why they are bad games.

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

That is why they are bad games.

Great, you solved it. Maybe the thread can move on from this 15-year old argument now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RandomHodge posted:

Demon's Souls didn't have pause because 100% of the game had invasions enabled, but in subsequent games that was true of less and less of the world. Is there a reason to ban pause when there's definitely not a real technical need to? Does it contribute to the game design? I guess it stops you from messing with your inventory without ensuring you're safe, are the vibes from that worth the occasional annoyance from not being able to step away within seconds when real life calls?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

haveblue posted:

I guess it stops you from messing with your inventory without ensuring you're safe, are the vibes from that worth the occasional annoyance from not being able to step away within seconds when real life calls?

The true gamers in this thread don’t let real life call them away from souls games

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

haveblue posted:

Demon's Souls didn't have pause because 100% of the game had invasions enabled, but in subsequent games that was true of less and less of the world. Is there a reason to ban pause when there's definitely not a real technical need to? Does it contribute to the game design? I guess it stops you from messing with your inventory without ensuring you're safe, are the vibes from that worth the occasional annoyance from not being able to step away within seconds when real life calls?

Well, that's fine with the inventory and all that. Just have an option to pause. Monster Hunter, for example, has a Pause option in its menu - you can't fiddle with inventory stuff or anything, but you can step away if need be.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

It was this lmao. Thank you. That MF is loud as hell

If you have the tiny, specific screwdriver that is needed you can fix it yourself pretty quickly. They should be like $3 on Amazon.

https://youtu.be/Ij_peEXvpcU?si=Z8r7N5ZvVPh14ZRa

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

haveblue posted:

I guess FromSoft thinks so. It doesn't bother me, I die all the fuckin time anyway so who cares if I die because I have to let the dog out or whatever. But I also don't really feel a need to defend it, I'm just tired (as someone who mostly lurks) of reading this same argument + accompanying anger/sarcasm what seems like every few weeks

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RandomHodge posted:

Great, you solved it. Maybe the thread can move on from this 15-year old argument now

Another dub. Racking them up daily. :dukedog:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the far more worrying possibility is that From programmers have simply forgotten how to add pause.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

They are an amateur indie dev working on a limited budget please be nice

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Thank ye too. It’s quiet as a mouse now sans disc

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

well, glad we got that settled

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Paying2Lurk posted:

If you have the tiny, specific screwdriver that is needed you can fix it yourself pretty quickly. They should be like $3 on Amazon.

https://youtu.be/Ij_peEXvpcU?si=Z8r7N5ZvVPh14ZRa

Good to know, thanks!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

why can't i pause helldivers 2

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Father I cannot click the book

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i like that souls games have no pause button hth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can pause a game but you can not pause reality, and isn't realism the utmost goal of all video games? They should be applauded for making it more immersive.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Pausestone

Image: chunk of golden resin marbled with black and red

The flow of time is distorted in these lands, and may be stopped by those who are desirous of tranquility.

Use to pause time. Consumes runes while in use, and exits the game and deletes your save when runes are depleted. (Not available during online play. Pausing is not always possible.)

Said to be resin of the Erdtree infused with Destined Death. Perhaps this is why maidens consider its use distasteful.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

Perhaps this is why maidens consider its use distasteful.

thread title

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

omg chael crash posted:

You would dare to put a pause on democracy???? Mods, ban this sick filth. :mad:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

nuke this goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

You have to be able to play it to pause it.