Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Woozie66 posted:

I saw a fake spoiler summary that seemed plausible but ended with Jimbei puts on Zoro's bandana and unlocks a new awakened form. Got a good chuckle out of me.

This one's real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Meme Emulator posted:

You’ll forgive her. She says so herself in her intro.

nahhh the love-love fruit wouldn't work on me either

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

its absolutely fine

The Nakatani/Casselman (edit: and Amemiya/Casselman) translations aren't unreadable or anything, but they do have some issues. There's a few embarrassing errors ("the fruit of the Gum-Gum tree," confusion about whether Helmeppo has one dog or multiple). There's some lines that come across as an attempt to capture the vibes of the 4Kids dub (Zoro: "If he gets me with one of those cat-whammies...I'll be a pirate-flavored pancake!!"). There's some awkward bits of "pirate-speak" (mostly from the Buggy Pirates).

Silver2195 posted:

To speculate further on why the Nakatani/Casselman translations ended up so cringe at times, and even occasionally introduced inconsistencies, I think it was partly the result of having a formally separate translator and localizer. Casselman probably felt the need to "spice up" Nakatani's translations to justify his own existence. Another factor, I suspect, is that they tried to translate One Piece as though it were Dragon Ball. Toriyama's writing in Dragon Ball is full of blunt declarative sentences, and Toriyama's planning and memory are bad enough that the exact wording of a line of dialogue was rarely very plot-important anyway, so Viz rewording things to, e.g., emphasize Bulma's snarkiness worked well. Let's face it: as much nostalgic love as Dragon Ball inspires, it's not an especially intelligent series even by shonen manga standards. One Piece on the surface has a lot of similar goofiness, but it has more depth in terms of plot, setting, and even characterization than Dragon Ball, and some of that gets lost trying to be "pirate-y" and "not taking the material too seriously."

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 28, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Meowywitch posted:

nahhh the love-love fruit wouldn't work on me either

Me either, because I would have been killed years earlier without a second thought by some incredibly scrub-tier East Blue pirate like Nugire Yainu :smith:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

https://youtu.be/MCT80HJWQ2A?si=X9Q60Ny3XZexEnex

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

The Nakatani/Casselman translations aren't unreadable or anything, but they do have some issues. There's a few embarrassing errors ("the fruit of the Gum-Gum tree," confusion about whether Helmeppo has one dog or multiple). There's some lines that comes across as an attempt to capture the vibes of the 4Kids dub (Zoro: "If he gets me with one of those cat-whammies...I'll be a pirate-flavored pancake!!"). There's some awkward bits of "pirate-speak" (mostly from the Buggy Pirates).

I read through the official translation when I did a re-read last year and while that's all true, I remember the awkward stuff dying off by the time they hit the grand line. After that it's mostly fine. Honestly the part that took me out the most when reading was Skypeia and that's mostly because there's plenty of lines in that story that don't flow the same when you can't say G*d (don't think that's the fault of the translators since that decision probably came from above but it's gotten funnier seeing where the story's gone since then).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The streak is over, break next week

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Jerusalem posted:

Me either, because I would have been killed years earlier without a second thought by some incredibly scrub-tier East Blue pirate like Nugire Yainu :smith:

you fool. you should try being a main character like me. I personally would have been one of the chefs who sometimes react to news of Sanji's bounty and poo poo. Just a chef who sometimes fights customers. Its a simple life but someone has to do it

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the idea of jinbei putting on zoros bandana has made me laugh no less than 3 separate times today when thinking about it

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Jinbei is loving huge, it wouldn’t even fit his wrist probably

It must be like Odens swords

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Didn't say where he puts it on

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Three **** Style

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

they want shady posted:

I read through the official translation when I did a re-read last year and while that's all true, I remember the awkward stuff dying off by the time they hit the grand line. After that it's mostly fine. Honestly the part that took me out the most when reading was Skypeia and that's mostly because there's plenty of lines in that story that don't flow the same when you can't say G*d (don't think that's the fault of the translators since that decision probably came from above but it's gotten funnier seeing where the story's gone since then).

Yeah, to be clear, it's not like that for very long. Which is surprising, because Casselman was still credited with "English adaptation" through volume 27. My suspicion is that Casselman stopped having much input beginning with volume 11, when JN Productions (rather than an individual) took over as translator.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 28, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

RatHat posted:

I wonder if I can catch up in a week

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RatHat posted:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Chapter?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I didn’t listen and read ahead. My god.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Presuming he drops a ton of Void Century knowledge, Robin has to feel pretty mixed between "I spend so long researching to find the mystery... And he just... broadcast it out to the whole world." and dying of excitement.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Capfalcon posted:

Presuming he drops a ton of Void Century knowledge, Robin has to feel pretty mixed between "I spend so long researching to find the mystery... And he just... broadcast it out to the whole world." and dying of excitement.

Do we even know if VP knows the full truth of the world? Like, does he know what Rayleigh knows? Or does he "just" know almost everything?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

“Void Century? No. The Boid Century! We were once ruled by birds! And Morgans is the rightful heir!”

Anyway that’s my theory.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

4Kids knew what they were doing with Sanji’s accent

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Woozie66 posted:

Do we even know if VP knows the full truth of the world? Like, does he know what Rayleigh knows? Or does he "just" know almost everything?

Probably doesn't know anything Roger's crew learned in Laugh Tale, don't think it's been stated that he's met with any of them.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

yeah, it owned

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I'll admit, I prefer 4kids Zoro to this day

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The one piece rap is one of the best anime ops of all time

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

mikeycp posted:

The one piece rap is one of the best anime ops of all time

i didn't even watch it back then and i think this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWTyjlVUKNU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vegapunk probably found out a lot but no chance he knows what’s at Laugh Tale because that would make it a boring adventure and Luffy would give up on being a pirate

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

i didn't even watch it back then and i think this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWTyjlVUKNU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

imagine 4kids doing the war arc

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The fake spoilers I saw were pretty boring until it ended on Sanji's domain expansion: Hell's Kitchen

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Augus posted:

i'm sure there are multiple godawful parodies of that on youtube.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Augus posted:

water fight!!!!!!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Augus posted:

"im sorry luffy... i need... to take a nap..."

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
"Thank you…for visiting me"

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Augus posted:

"Wah, Whitebeard! Please, Akainu telling me such terrible lies made me lose control over my sword!!

"Don't worry Squard! This hug will restore your faith in me and also power me up, but in a heteronormative way!"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Blackbeard pirates all point and laugh at Whitebeard, who then falls asleep so that Teach can steal his Devil Fruit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Augus posted:

Akainu grabs Ace by the back of his shirt and throws him in the same dungeon cell as Bell-Mere. After he fires the deserting Marines.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Not me. I'd be Pirate King already.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The Blackbeard pirates all point and laugh at Whitebeard, who then falls asleep so that Teach can steal his Devil Fruit.

The gently caress’s a “devil” fruit? Do you mean Cursed Fruits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kart Barfunkel posted:

“Void Century? No. The Boid Century! We were once ruled by birds! And Morgans is the rightful heir!”

Anyway that’s my theory.

Close but actually it's the Noid Century.

The Will Of Dominos