Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

WWDC was absolutely for developers before tim took over. steve was just a good enough presenter to make it intelligible and compelling for regular people

in comparison WWDC under tim is just a series of bad ads presented poorly for an audience of morons

right, that's what i mean. i didn't mean to insinuate that it was the same under steve, much like e3 in the early days wasn't just another loving comic con, it was actual for developers and industry professionals, but it turned into the poo poo we have now. i do occasionally wonder if federighi were to take the helm if this aspect would get better or worse. he is an engineer, and does seem to know what he's talking about, but also they have him doing this kind of garbage in the prerecorded two hour special presentation "keynotes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i think it'd be worse if craig were in charge, i'm pretty sure the new "format" was his idea

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

must be a loving trip going to wwdc in person now. go sit in a theater and just watch all this poo poo on a screen, then go to another room for the various demos and workshops. assuming wwdc isn't entirely a remote affair these days. i know they really push the wwdc app now

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

~Coxy posted:

XP was godawful on 64MB and even on 128MB you weren't having a good time.

i remember doing some ridiculous spare time project in photoshop on my xp machine with 512mb of ram where i was doing some kind of transform on a bunch of extremely large images from nasa (project was creating a realistic planet) and it took the computer like 2 hours to do it. meanwhile any of my current computers would chew through that workflow in seconds

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
mum don't turn off the computer I'm rendering my Bryce 3D project!!!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

~Coxy posted:

upgrading to 512 mb may have been my first self-funded, self-executed computer upgrades

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

upgrading to 512 mb may have been my first self-funded, self-executed computer upgrades

same actually. it was pretty drat steep for me because of the expensive poo poo rdram in the dell my dad bought me for xmas 2001

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well all of you pining for Old Windows But Modern are in luck, this aurorae theme i found is a loving dead on ringer for win98. seriously, it's flawless

https://store.kde.org/p/2113542/

since its kde you can, of course, use a widget that is more like whichever start menu version you prefer. then just use wine for your games

syncathetic
Oct 21, 2010
expect for the kerning on that font. 25 years later and linux font rendering still hasn't caught up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
good news. because its linux you can manually adjust the kerning to your liking, and because it's kde you can do it with a control panel slider

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I may mess with those themes. pretty cool

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Branch Nvidian posted:

i remember doing some ridiculous spare time project in photoshop on my xp machine with 512mb of ram where i was doing some kind of transform on a bunch of extremely large images from nasa (project was creating a realistic planet) and it took the computer like 2 hours to do it. meanwhile any of my current computers would chew through that workflow in seconds

512 mb was usable if you had a pentium 3 above 1.2 mhz. a lot of early pentium 4 machines had worse benchmarks than late-era p3 machines because of netburst and the infamous overheating

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

~Coxy posted:

the launch version of XP was perfectly fine with 128. but once the service packs hit the requirements shot up

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

well all of you pining for Old Windows But Modern are in luck, this aurorae theme i found is a loving dead on ringer for win98. seriously, it's flawless

https://store.kde.org/p/2113542/

since its kde you can, of course, use a widget that is more like whichever start menu version you prefer. then just use wine for your games

Hell yeah

I did actually have Windows 2000 between 98 and XP, but I don’t think it was really intended for home users. I was wondering why the upgrade from 98 to XP didn’t create as much as a shitshow as XP to Vista.

Maybe the longer gap in releases meant people had no reason to upgrade their computer for a while, and were hit with an OS that needed about 4X as much RAM to feel as snappy as 2000/XP.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Branch Nvidian posted:

went and found the keynote. seeing a whole hour dedicated to just os x feels utterly wild compared to now where it feels like they just announce a new macos name, couple of features and then move on to the ios variants for an hour
that's where the money is

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

modern apple makes more money selling airpods and getting a 30% cut of loot crates than selling computers, like each of those is bigger than the whole mac business

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
going by wwdc keynote minutes, modern apple is actually a camera company with a legacy side business in computers and some other stuff

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i hear they're all in on helmets and cars

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

That loving Sned posted:

Hell yeah

I did actually have Windows 2000 between 98 and XP, but I don’t think it was really intended for home users. I was wondering why the upgrade from 98 to XP didn’t create as much as a shitshow as XP to Vista.

Maybe the longer gap in releases meant people had no reason to upgrade their computer for a while, and were hit with an OS that needed about 4X as much RAM to feel as snappy as 2000/XP.

windows 2000 professional edition was not intended for home users. it's in the name

and the upgrade from xp to vista required far steeper minimum system requirements than 98 -> xp, although 98 definitely could run on far shittier hardware than xp. but win98 was pretty drat old by the time xp was released (2001), so most people had a computer capable of running it by then

they actually had to relax the minimum system requirements for vista because the embedded gpus of that era weren't good enough to run aero

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

windows 2000 professional edition was not intended for home users. it's in the name

and the upgrade from xp to vista required far steeper minimum system requirements than 98 -> xp, although 98 definitely could run on far shittier hardware than xp. but win98 was pretty drat old by the time xp was released (2001), so most people had a computer capable of running it by then

they actually had to relax the minimum system requirements for vista because the embedded gpus of that era weren't good enough to run aero

95 could run on 4 megs of ram (8 strongly recommended), while the nt minimum at the time was 12 with 16 or more recommended. the ram requirements were costly in the early 90s nt 3.1 era, but by the late 90s, putting 64 or 128 megs in a system was not terribly costly

setting the minimum amount of ram at 512 for vista was terrible though, and resulted in systems quite literally being unusable

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

didn't they chose 512 instead of 1gb because OEMs wanted to be able to dumb their leftover stocks of xp-spec shitboxes?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sweevo posted:

didn't they chose 512 instead of 1gb because OEMs wanted to be able to dumb their leftover stocks of xp-spec shitboxes?

Yeah
1gb for "Vista Ready"
512mb for "Vista Capable"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
so i did a little digging, turns out that xp source leak happened about 4 years ago and is legit. it seems to include a whole lot more than xp and server 2003, too

and yes, you can compile it, and it includes a whole shitload of resources from much much older versions of windows nt

e.g. this image also appears in the NT 3.5 source code:

it includes reversi

and even this

lol

it also has the "windows start page" from neptune i was talking about. it compiles and runs on win10

(none of these screenshots are mine, btw, and no, i don't have the source)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

its sad to think that beverly is no doubt long dead by now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
there's also a bunch of msstyles there (including the original professional theme, "watercolor"). the most interesting is probably this "candy" one, it's pretty clearly intended to ape aqua. i've never seen this before so i'm guessing it was entirely internal to ms

and here's some more stuff from neptune

pretty neat. you can see where all of that poo poo ended up like 20 years later

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

there's also a bunch of msstyles there (including the original professional theme, "watercolor"). the most interesting is probably this "candy" one, it's pretty clearly intended to ape aqua. i've never seen this before so i'm guessing it was entirely internal to ms

and here's some more stuff from neptune

pretty neat. you can see where all of that poo poo ended up like 20 years later

thanks for posting these, there's some good stuff in there

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i found those themes actually, someone compiled them and signed them with an included tool

https://archive.org/details/windows-xp-ms-signed-themes

i'm on linux right now but you can actually use those with wine, i'm gonna give it a try lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the source leak also has these "activity centers" from neptune

idk why ms didn't release anything like this for another, idk, 15 years afterwards? this looks a lot like a modern calendar app. they could've been way ahead

here's an alpha version of outlook express 5 (and remember, there ultimately was no outlook express 5)

e: lol

i posted a screenshot of this theme ("chartreuse mongoose") like 15 years ago here

and this is interesting

and goddamnit the watercolor ("professional") theme is so much better than loving luna

why didn't they stick with this :negative:

here's an alternate version of luna called "celestial"

:barf:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 28, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i found the source, it wasn't terribly difficult if you know a couple of the file paths. like, i found a server that just has it all in open directories lol

anyway, interestingly it seems to have UEFI support going back to... 2000?!

and a 64-bit intel version of windows 2000. i'm guessing that's IA-64 though and not x86-64 (...since it didn't exist), but it's still cool to see. i don't think there was an itanium version of 2k

otoh,

quote:

Darwin Setup Development Notes for Testing Releases

00-12-29 eugend Bug 261198: On Win64, Darwin now removes keys in the 32-bit hive.

00-12-18 eugend Bug 152754: When installing 32-bit packages on Win64 we fix up hardcoded directory names
that would land files belonging to 32-bit components into 64-bit binary directories.

00-12-18 eugend Bug 214525: On Win64, Intel property is set to the same ProcessorLevel value that
GetSystemInfo API returns when called from a 32-bit process (currently 5,
i.e. Pentium processor).

64-bit pentium processor in 2000, huh? :thunk:

(and yeah, darwin was the oss release of OS X. pretty sure this is just a coincidence)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
congrats on accidentally connecting to an alternate timeline stub universe

pretty sure this is how the peripheral starts

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

also i found the source, it wasn't terribly difficult if you know a couple of the file paths. like, i found a server that just has it all in open directories lol

anyway, interestingly it seems to have UEFI support going back to... 2000?!

and a 64-bit intel version of windows 2000. i'm guessing that's IA-64 though and not x86-64 (...since it didn't exist), but it's still cool to see. i don't think there was an itanium version of 2k

otoh,

64-bit pentium processor in 2000, huh? :thunk:

(and yeah, darwin was the oss release of OS X. pretty sure this is just a coincidence)

IA-64 instruction sets were released in 1999, and the first IA-64 CPUs were released in 2001 iirc, which were the Itanium chips you mentioned. wouldn't be surprised if they had an IA-64 version planned and maybe scrapped it at some point?

e: wikipedia suggests Alpha was supported in the alpha, beta, and release candidates of win2000, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Alpha, which was a 64-bit RISC ISA

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 28, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

IA-64 instruction sets were released in 1999, and the first IA-64 CPUs were released in 2001 iirc, which were the Itanium chips you mentioned. wouldn't be surprised if they had an IA-64 version planned and maybe scrapped it at some point?

i think cutler has told an anecdote of nt being ported to ia-64 on simulators and successfully booted and ran on the real hardware the very first time it was available, which if the case presumably meant they had it in-tree early, whether it was planned to ship or not.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
efi was originally created for itanium. rebranding to uefi happened later.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Raymond Chen, perhaps the only good blogger on the whole internet, has told in various chunks the story of how the very first 64 bit version of windows was written for the Alpha AXP in 2000

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/technet-magazine/cc718978(v=msdn.10)

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Beeftweeter posted:

e: lol

i posted a screenshot of this theme ("chartreuse mongoose") like 15 years ago here

winxp intended to have two different default visual styles for home and professional (watercolor for pro and mallard/mongoose for home.) i think they were getting hold of the trend set by apple of skeuomorphic gui design and decided to scrap them for a unified 3d look instead

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
also i find it fascinating that microsoft used the Real Windows Near The Windows(tm) Flag for only a year before completely switching to a different flag design

apologies for my logo autism

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
hey it has a svg in it lol

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

i have an official autism diagnosis i can post it here if you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

euroshopper posted:

i have an official autism diagnosis i can post it here if you want

what do you mean by flag used only for one year. isn't that ME/2000 flag the same as the one used in Windowses 95 and 98?