Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Does the new godzillaXkong movie have some kind of weird mcu multiverse thing going on?

I think it's just lots of monsters. I wonder if the big reveal is Mechagodzilla because I just can't imagine that it's just going to be evil Kong army. I've liked the Legendary Godzillas thus far but all that human dialogue was awful so my expectations for this one are going to be pretty low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zokari posted:

gotta make sure i don't accidentally see a multiverse

good loving luck https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/500756/tommy-westphall-theory-unified-tv-universe-explained

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm actually kinda happy at the quality of slop we are getting this year.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Professor Beetus posted:

I think it's just lots of monsters. I wonder if the big reveal is Mechagodzilla because I just can't imagine that it's just going to be evil Kong army. I've liked the Legendary Godzillas thus far but all that human dialogue was awful so my expectations for this one are going to be pretty low.
someone built mechagodzilla to defeat the evil monkeys

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

getting a good new japanese godzilla movie this year really emphasizes how dogshit all the american godzilla movies have been (except godzilla '98 which granted is also dogshit but which i have a soft spot for)

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKJgSMQY2yM

I miss when the godzilla movies had awful monster dialogue too

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Does the new godzillaXkong movie have some kind of weird mcu multiverse thing going on?

Unfortunately yes

The new series started off promising with Godzilla '14 and Kong: Skull Island but went full mcu with king of the monsters and looks like it hasn't recovered

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
the Monarch show was typical lazy streaming series drawn out content package poo poo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Blood Boils posted:

Unfortunately yes

The new series started off promising with Godzilla '14 and Kong: Skull Island but went full mcu with king of the monsters and looks like it hasn't recovered
hasn't recovered is a nice of saying that it gets way worse with every new installment

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Whats the deal with all these Empires!?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. beast is in Kung Fu Panda 4, so I'll be there day 1.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

In Training posted:

Mr. beast is in Kung Fu Panda 4, so I'll be there day 1.

did you watch under the boardwalk

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

never seen this before, and god drat they hosed up the adaptation

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Plank Walker posted:

saw dune last night, trailer for furiosa looked sick, trailer for kong x godzilla kinda interested me until the last line of the trailer, where the main guy sees a small kong and says "is that a baby kong? yep, that's a baby kong"

I would say the same thing tbh.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CaptainBeefart posted:

I would say the same thing tbh.

i would start doing the DK Rap

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

i was not aware there was a brand new shogun miniseries when i posted this

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

I think it's just lots of monsters. I wonder if the big reveal is Mechagodzilla because I just can't imagine that it's just going to be evil Kong army.

I don't know if the new monster is supposed to be a secret but the action figure has already been released:

https://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/godzilla-x-kong-toys-offer-spoilers-better-look-at-skar-king-shimo-titans

Toy releases always give away stuff that's supposed to be secret, like when a Lego set gave away the climax of Toy Story 3:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Al! posted:

i was not aware there was a brand new shogun miniseries when i posted this

it's good so far imo, though i know nothing about the book

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the milk machine posted:

it's good so far imo, though i know nothing about the book

i am unironically much more familiar with the old school text adventure:

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Shogun_1986

god bless you archive

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wait that's not even the game i was thinking of....lmao multiple old school shogun games

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nearly two years after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in the Dobbs decision, abortion access in the U.S. is under serious threat. “Getting an abortion today requires more money, more time, and more planning than it ever has before,” says Oriaku Njoku, executive director of the National Network of Abortion Funds. She adds that the 100 member organizations that are part of her group have noticed a concurrent decline in donations to abortion funds — a dropoff that couldn’t come at a worse time.

Enter Olivia Rodrigo. Last Friday, when she kicked off her Guts world tour in southern California, the pop singer announced the launch of Fund 4 Good, a new initiative for reproductive health. Named in reference to her 2021 hit “good 4 u,” the fund will direct a share of all ticket proceeds from North American stops of the Guts tour to the NNAF — helping the group’s local chapters eliminate barriers to abortion access in a multitude of ways, whether that’s covering the cost of the procedure itself or the costs of travel, childcare, and lost wages for people who need abortions. “It’s going right back into communities who need help,” Njoku says.

Beyond that financial support, the spotlight that a Gen Z pop star like Rodrigo brings to abortion funds and reproductive healthcare overall is immeasurable. “It feels like this huge opportunity to show how fierce and badass abortion funds are,” Njoku adds.

Rodrigo has long been vocal about her support for reproductive rights. In 2022, the day after the Dobbs decision, she took the Glastonbury stage with Lily Allen, dedicating Allen’s 2009 hit “gently caress You” to the five Supreme Court justices who struck down Roe. “I’m devastated and terrified,” Rodrigo told the audience. “So many women and so many girls are going to die because of this.”

It’s a bleak reality, but by partnering with NNAF, Rodrigo is providing a measure of hope. “It’s moments like this where you’ll get to be in partnership with someone like Olivia Rodrigo that remind us that there are moments of joy in the midst of a lot of this hardship,” Njoku says.

Livies, as Rodrigo’s most devoted fans are known, will have the opportunity to directly interact with people who are fighting for reproductive rights on the ground, with local member organization tents set up at each Guts tour stop in the U.S. “This idea of leading the Livies into the movement towards reproductive freedom feels so poignant,” Njoku says. The chapters will share information about abortion funds, abortion access, and how anti-abortion legislation is affecting local communities.

This week, the Guts tour takes on Texas — a key battleground in the fight for abortion rights — with stops in Houston, Dallas, and Austin. “It sheds light on the local work that folks are doing on the ground,” says Anna Rupani, executive director of the NNAF-affiliated group Fund Texas Choice. “When you’re in Texas versus when you’re in New York, the realities are so different. In Texas, for example, our clients are traveling thousands of miles round trip to get to the care they need.”

While NNAF works with local funds across the country, there’s a power to their presence in a state like Texas, which has had particularly draconian anti-abortion laws since Dobbs. “Being present and visible feels like this joyful act of resistance in spite of what the laws are,” Njoku adds.

While Rodrigo is not the first musician to actively support abortion funds — Lizzo, Paramore, and Lucy Dacus, among others, have all donated tour profits to such funds in the past — the timing and manner in which she is helping feels noteworthy to Njoku. “Being able to unapologetically talk about abortion and uplift abortion funds in this way feels like such a great use of this platform,” she says. It feels cheesy to say so, but Njoku can’t help themselves: “It takes guts to fund abortions at this moment.”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

KirbyKhan posted:

I will be watching 3 of these in the theater

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Shogun_1988

here we go

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

piggies love their slop

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

_____ are FEASTING this year

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

What I wanna know is what is Tai-Pan?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Sally Rooney, whose best-selling novels about Irish millennials have drawn a rapturous readership — and whose TV adaptations, during the early pandemic, supplied our daily recommended dose of heartache — will publish her new book Sept. 24.

“Intermezzo” concerns two brothers living in the wake of their father’s death. Peter, a hotshot Dublin lawyer, is negotiating entanglements with his first love, Sylvia, and a university student named Naomi. Ivan, a competitive chess player, becomes involved with Margaret, an older woman with “her own turbulent past,” Rooney’s publisher, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, said Thursday.

Its opening lines, per her British publisher, Faber Books: “Didn’t seem fair on the young lad. That suit at the funeral. With the braces on his teeth, the supreme discomfort of the adolescent.”

When Rooney published her debut, “Conversations With Friends,” at age 26, she was instantly anointed the voice of her generation. Each new book — “Normal People,” longlisted for the Booker Prize in 2018; “Beautiful World, Where Are You?” released in 2021 — has been greeted as a major event. (One recent publicity campaign, featuring not only the industry-standard tote bags but also bucket hats and a themed coffee cart, has even been nominated for an award.)

The intense anticipation does have a sharper edge: “For each splashy profile of the 30-year-old writer that has preceded publication, there is an equally pointed critique of her earnest mediocrity or the whiteness of her imagination,” Bilal Qureshi noted in his Washington Post review of that third novel.

Daisy Edgar-Jones and Paul Mescal in the Hulu adaptation of “Normal People.” (Enda Bowe/Element Pictures/Hulu)
Rooney identifies as a Marxist, which has invited many critics to mine her fiction for its ideological content. The typical Rooney protagonist — slender, bookish — is often working through their leftist political commitments along with their romantic ones. The characters fret about allowing trivial matters of the heart to take up any mental space at all; it means “we have successfully forgotten about all the things more important than that, i.e., everything,” one character writes to a friend.

In 2021, Rooney drew controversy when, in support of the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement, she refused to sell translation rights to “Beautiful World, Where Are You?” to an Israel-based publisher. Though she said it would be an “honor” to have the book translated into Hebrew, the novelist also said in an email to the New York Times that “I simply do not feel it would be right for me under the present circumstances to accept a new contract with an Israeli company that does not publicly distance itself from apartheid and support the U.N.-stipulated rights of the Palestinian people.”

The characters and their relationships in “Intermezzo” have become “an important part of my life,” Rooney said in a statement to the Associated Press. “I hope that I’ve done them some justice in writing the book, and that they might find a place in the lives of readers too.”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I wonder how that shogun show is. Am interested in it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I wonder how that shogun show is. Am interested in it.

here to tell you i just watched the first episode and it's pretty good, friend. made with some care, rarity among streaming shows

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

badass

it's cool these things are archived somewhere in a playable way

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

What I wanna know is what is Tai-Pan?

Literally "Big Boss" (大班) and it's used in Hong Kong for the heads of certain companies (those with colonial legacies because that's what the heads of colonial enterprises were called)

The Tai-Pan book series is based on a heavily fictionalized version of I think Jardine Matheson

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

reminds me i was gonna make a lotr edit of the denethor eating scene with live crowd reactions

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Telluric Whistler posted:

Literally "Big Boss" (大班) and it's used in Hong Kong for the heads of certain companies (those with colonial legacies because that's what the heads of colonial enterprises were called)

The Tai-Pan book series is based on a heavily fictionalized version of I think Jardine Matheson

That makes sense. Thanks!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
In 2015 activist April Reign coined the term #OscarsSoWhite after none of the 20 actors nominated for Oscars that year were Black.

The viral moment paved the way for a much-needed racial reckoning throughout the entertainment industry in order to boost diversity and inclusion.

Nearly a decade on, Hollywood’s increased diversity may be something to celebrate, but its uneven inclusion efforts certainly are not.

Case in point: the Motion Picture Academy’s newly implemented Inclusion and Representation Standards for Best Picture.

Launched this year, the Standards mandate Best Picture nominees feature a precise range of diverse ethnicities, sexual identities and disability statuses.

But one thing is missing from this mandate: Jews.

According to the Academy, Jews – a mere 2.1% of the US population — are not considered minorities.

Last December, my organization, Jew in the City, penned an open letter to the Academy decrying this lack of representation signed by 450 entertainment professionals, including David Schwimmer, Amy Schumer, Juliana Margulies, Noah Schnapp, Jason Alexander, Brett Gelman, Ginnifer Goodwin, Amy Sherman-Palladino, David Shore, Greg Berlanti, and Marta Kauffman.

Why do Jews need better representation in Hollywood?

Because Jews are now the most attacked group per capita in the nation, with hate crimes against us up by 366% since the Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel, according to the ADL.

Representation matters because it can shift how audiences view minority groups; authentic depictions of Jews could reduce antisemitic sentiments and attacks, according to some studies.

Representation for most marginalized groups has greatly improved due to organizations like NAACP and Muslim PAC Hollywood Bureaus, who advocate for more authentic characters and better storytelling for minority communities.

The PACs develop fact sheets, conduct showrunner trainings, writer’s labs, champion authentic casting, culturally competent consultants, host Media Awards, and commission studies.

Every minority — but Jews — has had such bureaus for decades.

Finally, in 2021, my organization launched the first and only Hollywood Bureau to advocate for more equitable Jewish representation and stories.

Jewish representation remains replete with caricatures, self-erasure, tropes, inauthentic casting, and — as was the case with Bradley Cooper earlier this year, even some rubber schnozes (which earn Best Makeup nominations instead of condemnation).

The industry still fails to accommodate observant Jews.

Almost all Jewish-themed films are tied to the Holocaust.

Important stuff, for sure, but there are thousands of years of Jewish history, not less than a century.

Our letter implored the Academy to create standards that would stop Jews from being caricatured and stereotyped — enough Jewish American Princesses and evil ex-Mossad agents.

We also asked for accommodations for entertainment professionals who observe Shabbat and holidays.

These might seem given in our identity-obsessed times, but as author David Baddiel wrote a few years back, “Jews Don’t Count” because we’re seen as powerful and white; as a religious group instead of an indigenous persecuted ethnicity.

It’s not only that Jewish representation has been ignored by the entertainment industry, Jews are also starting to disappear from it.

In an effort to correct the historic wrongs of “white supremacy” (in Hollywood, that’s code for “Jews”), fewer Jews are being hired as the numbers of other minorities rise.

While an older generation of Jews may still retain leadership positions, a young Writer’s Guild of America member recently told me that white-passing Jewish men can’t get agents because no one wants to hire them.

“You had your turn,” has been explicitly said to many Jews working in the industry.

And Jewish actors continue to change their names to get parts.

Perhaps the most blatant form of Jewish erasure was at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, which opened in 2021.

While it highlights the diversity within Hollywood, one group that was conspicuously missing from 300,000 square feet of exhibits were its Jewish founders.

This year, seven out of 20 Oscar nominated actors are people of color (higher than the percentages of the population of these minority groups), but exactly zero of them are Jewish.

In 2015, the year of #OscarsSoWhite, eight out of 28 of the Best Picture producers were Jewish.

This year, there are only three confirmed Jews out of 31.

Yes, Jews are still overrepresented according to their population, but every antisemitic regime begins with Jewish quotas, be it the Spanish Inquisition, Nazi Germany or the Farhud.

Some of the movies nominated for best picture — “Oppenheimer” and “Maestro” — are stories about Jews, played by gentiles, Cillian Murphy and Bradley Cooper.

Some might call this appropriation, which is a cancelable offense for all minority groups except one. Perhaps it’s time to launch #OscarsSoGoy.

Hollywood can be a partner in humanizing Jews instead of harming them.

The Motion Picture Academy created their Inclusion Standards to correct historic wrongs.

Hollywood has historically wronged and continues to harm the Jewish community.

The time for change is now.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

In 2015 activist April Reign coined the term #OscarsSoWhite after none of the 20 actors nominated for Oscars that year were Black.

The viral moment paved the way for a much-needed racial reckoning throughout the entertainment industry in order to boost diversity and inclusion.

Nearly a decade on, Hollywood’s increased diversity may be something to celebrate, but its uneven inclusion efforts certainly are not.

Case in point: the Motion Picture Academy’s newly implemented Inclusion and Representation Standards for Best Picture.

Launched this year, the Standards mandate Best Picture nominees feature a precise range of diverse ethnicities, sexual identities and disability statuses.

But one thing is missing from this mandate: Jews.

According to the Academy, Jews – a mere 2.1% of the US population — are not considered minorities.

Last December, my organization, Jew in the City, penned an open letter to the Academy decrying this lack of representation signed by 450 entertainment professionals, including David Schwimmer, Amy Schumer, Juliana Margulies, Noah Schnapp, Jason Alexander, Brett Gelman, Ginnifer Goodwin, Amy Sherman-Palladino, David Shore, Greg Berlanti, and Marta Kauffman.

Why do Jews need better representation in Hollywood?

Because Jews are now the most attacked group per capita in the nation, with hate crimes against us up by 366% since the Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel, according to the ADL.

Representation matters because it can shift how audiences view minority groups; authentic depictions of Jews could reduce antisemitic sentiments and attacks, according to some studies.

Representation for most marginalized groups has greatly improved due to organizations like NAACP and Muslim PAC Hollywood Bureaus, who advocate for more authentic characters and better storytelling for minority communities.

The PACs develop fact sheets, conduct showrunner trainings, writer’s labs, champion authentic casting, culturally competent consultants, host Media Awards, and commission studies.

Every minority — but Jews — has had such bureaus for decades.

Finally, in 2021, my organization launched the first and only Hollywood Bureau to advocate for more equitable Jewish representation and stories.

Jewish representation remains replete with caricatures, self-erasure, tropes, inauthentic casting, and — as was the case with Bradley Cooper earlier this year, even some rubber schnozes (which earn Best Makeup nominations instead of condemnation).

The industry still fails to accommodate observant Jews.

Almost all Jewish-themed films are tied to the Holocaust.

Important stuff, for sure, but there are thousands of years of Jewish history, not less than a century.

Our letter implored the Academy to create standards that would stop Jews from being caricatured and stereotyped — enough Jewish American Princesses and evil ex-Mossad agents.

We also asked for accommodations for entertainment professionals who observe Shabbat and holidays.

These might seem given in our identity-obsessed times, but as author David Baddiel wrote a few years back, “Jews Don’t Count” because we’re seen as powerful and white; as a religious group instead of an indigenous persecuted ethnicity.

It’s not only that Jewish representation has been ignored by the entertainment industry, Jews are also starting to disappear from it.

In an effort to correct the historic wrongs of “white supremacy” (in Hollywood, that’s code for “Jews”), fewer Jews are being hired as the numbers of other minorities rise.

While an older generation of Jews may still retain leadership positions, a young Writer’s Guild of America member recently told me that white-passing Jewish men can’t get agents because no one wants to hire them.

“You had your turn,” has been explicitly said to many Jews working in the industry.

And Jewish actors continue to change their names to get parts.

Perhaps the most blatant form of Jewish erasure was at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, which opened in 2021.

While it highlights the diversity within Hollywood, one group that was conspicuously missing from 300,000 square feet of exhibits were its Jewish founders.

This year, seven out of 20 Oscar nominated actors are people of color (higher than the percentages of the population of these minority groups), but exactly zero of them are Jewish.

In 2015, the year of #OscarsSoWhite, eight out of 28 of the Best Picture producers were Jewish.

This year, there are only three confirmed Jews out of 31.

Yes, Jews are still overrepresented according to their population, but every antisemitic regime begins with Jewish quotas, be it the Spanish Inquisition, Nazi Germany or the Farhud.

Some of the movies nominated for best picture — “Oppenheimer” and “Maestro” — are stories about Jews, played by gentiles, Cillian Murphy and Bradley Cooper.

Some might call this appropriation, which is a cancelable offense for all minority groups except one. Perhaps it’s time to launch #OscarsSoGoy.

Hollywood can be a partner in humanizing Jews instead of harming them.

The Motion Picture Academy created their Inclusion Standards to correct historic wrongs.

Hollywood has historically wronged and continues to harm the Jewish community.

The time for change is now.

I don’t know who wrote this…………..but theyre right

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

babypolis posted:

its a pretty faithful remake of the original except with worse acting. i stopped watching once i started to wonder what the point of any of it was

also the casting for azula ia baffling. like why did they make her younger, it completely fucks up their dynamic and its really hard to take seriously a pouty kid as a villain

azulas actually younger than zuko in the cartoon too she just seems older because her psychotic hypercompetent smugness naturally lends itself to that interpretation speaking of two day old posts

je1 healthcare posted:

It's one of those instances where the creatives are too much of a fan of the original and therefore see the best adaptation as the one that most closely resembles it. Costumes and character designs which are suited for animation cells don't always translate well to the physical world. But instead of examining the movies that influenced Bebop, they only studied the anime. It's like trying to learn how to make chili by staring at a completed dish for hours and experimenting with food dyes until it matches

its pretty much the same ethos being applied this is how azula gets cast if your thought process is that her important character traits are being younger than zuko and the daughter of fire lord ozai and not like her personality or relationships with other characters

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Tsitsikovas posted:

you get valorization of authority, and the perverse joy of the aesthetics of violence. True Crime is what allows the fascist within to breathe freely.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bro Dad posted:

the greatest line in television history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfbbfo6I0Jg

without context this sounds like something from gay revenge porn and im...still having trouble thinking of any other place where it works

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm the Garfield movie coming out in tyol 2024.

also based on the rest of the list I'm assuming Fall Guy is a videogame adaptation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

youll never guess who's playing garfield