Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valentin posted:

from a booking perspective I will simply not be satisfied if he dies without going all out. I also do not think gege would make that mistake, which is good, but the longer this goes in this vein, the more difficult it becomes to envision a route where sukuna goes all out and his loss is still satisfying.

I mean he had Gojo get cut in half offscreen and had the magic insta-kill sword just fizzle out uselessly. Anticlimax is not off the menu.

Hell, one of the series main villains, arguably a bigger villain than Sukuna, died to a single backstab and some comedy routines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

EmmyOk posted:

She is one of the nastiest 1v1 counters to him though. Uraume's ice is about locking him in place rather than destroying his body. Normally he relies on tanking attacks and hits but I'm assuming all the ice stuff is about holding him in place where his hyper RCT healing won't do much unless he can tear himself out like he did with his frozen leg.

it's also possible that Hakari is delaying the win as much as possible so he doesn't have to fight Sukuna.

Hakari fraud status? Quite likely

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean he had Gojo get cut in half offscreen and had the magic insta-kill sword just fizzle out uselessly. Anticlimax is not off the menu.

Hell, one of the series main villains, arguably a bigger villain than Sukuna, died to a single backstab and some comedy routines.

i don't really buy that those anticlimaxes are themselves indicative of where the story is going, because i think they largely serve to intensify whatever will ultimately occur. gojo sorta had to be offscreened because getting to his death was turning into a final arc worthy effort in itself. kenjaku's stuff should presumably be picked back up when the merger finally happens too but i will say i wouldn't have minded getting more about his backstory then and didn't love how abrupt that end was even if i liked the entire fight building toward it. still, though, i think the post-shibuya manga has intentionally denied a lot of traditionally satisfying narrative beats in part because it's going to end fairly traditionally.

that said if gege's goal is to write the japanese homestuck and go full anti-genre meta anticlimax i will honor him all my days

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Valentin posted:

that said if gege's goal is to write the japanese homestuck and go full anti-genre meta anticlimax i will honor him all my days

I haven't asked for much but please give me this one :pray:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah as much as I love the Takaba fight I'd like a little more with Kenjaku.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
So when Sukuna does a Black Flash, half of the Earth gets destroyed?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Flair posted:

Not sure why we're spoiling this but Sukuna will never get horny enough to do black flash

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ryo would be interesting to see a black flash. I don’t think Sukuna’s actual output is notably higher than anyone else.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Ryo would be interesting to see a black flash. I don’t think Sukuna’s actual output is notably higher than anyone else.
Ryu is stated to have the highest CE output and it was reflected in him still being able to fire off powerful Granite Blasts despite his Energy Discharge cursed technique being on cooldown following the triple domain clash. So similar to how Hakari has the highest RCT heal rate, Sukuna can be 2nd place in some categories depending on the nature or techniques other people have.

Black Flash Ryu would be insane actually. I still feel like it's a waste he got wasted so quickly when he would be one of the sorcerers I really wanted to see in this final battle against Sukuna.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Ryu is stated to have the highest CE output and it was reflected in him still being able to fire off powerful Granite Blasts despite his Energy Discharge cursed technique being on cooldown following the triple domain clash. So similar to how Hakari has the highest RCT heal rate, Sukuna can be 2nd place in some categories depending on the nature or techniques other people have.

Black Flash Ryu would be insane actually. I still feel like it's a waste he got wasted so quickly when he would be one of the sorcerers I really wanted to see in this final battle against Sukuna.

Yeah that’s the guy I meant. And agreed I don’t think Sukuna’s is low or anything. Probably it is second overall. Though output isn’t that clear to me either. Like Ryu’s blasts weren’t more damaging than Hollow Purple. I’m assuming it means his damage is almost pure CE while Gojo’s damage is natural forces created by his CE. I guess it just means that output isn’t really king. Regardless I want black flash cleave and I want it NOW

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
There's an interplay between CE capacity, output and efficiency that never received any shounen infographs, but seems fairly self-explanatory if one thinks about it.

Ryu had the highest output and it clearly translated into tremendous durability from basic body reinforcement, effortless back-to-back high power attacks, and even being able to replicate his CT while it was on cooldown through raw energy release.

OTOH, CTs should definitely benefit from how skilled the user is at managing their CE, but while presumably still proportional to output their effects largely follow their own rules - how much CE does it take to materialize weapons and armor compared to breaking physics with imaginary mass? All we really have to go off here is that Gojo's Limitless would be terribly difficult to use without his Six Eyes solving for CE efficiency and precision, but that's just flavor text since we never see it without them.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
ryu has a gas pump with the highest flow rate/pressure/volume output. The thing is that he kills people by drowning them in gasoline, rather than using a tiny fraction of it to power a car or something and running them over.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Doesnt Sukuna have about 2X the CE of Yuta? I thought that was mentioned at some point.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yum posted:

ryu has a gas pump with the highest flow rate/pressure/volume output. The thing is that he kills people by drowning them in gasoline, rather than using a tiny fraction of it to power a car or something and running them over.

Just Sukuna in a jeep mowing dudes down in the Heian era

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Uraume dropping that big fuckin ice block and inside is a Jeep Grand Cherokee

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Oh Snapple! posted:

Uraume dropping that big fuckin ice block and inside is a Jeep Grand Cherokee

lol, "domain expansion: december to remember..."

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tbp posted:

lol, "domain expansion: december to remember..."

DOMAIN EXPANSION : HAPPY HONDA DAYS!

no I wont allow it

DOMAIN EXPANSION : TOYOTATHON!

The domains break against each other with only great deals for everyone to be found.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mahoraga has already passed the learners permit exam for Lord Sukuna

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, in fairness, Sukuna does have the perfect cursed technique to slash tires.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

OTOH, CTs should definitely benefit from how skilled the user is at managing their CE, but while presumably still proportional to output their effects largely follow their own rules - how much CE does it take to materialize weapons and armor compared to breaking physics with imaginary mass? All we really have to go off here is that Gojo's Limitless would be terribly difficult to use without his Six Eyes solving for CE efficiency and precision, but that's just flavor text since we never see it without them.
I'm just saying. Gojo's body is still warm and Yuta is going to need to be taken back for at least a healing session. He could always come back and show us how limitless without six-eyes might drain him down.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
what if it cuts to shoko and she's just surrounded by corpses

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, in fairness, Sukuna does have the perfect cursed technique to slash tires.

But can he slash prices?

Anyway, looking forward to Big Bill Hell as the final opponent.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheHan posted:

what if it cuts to shoko and she's just surrounded by corpses

always knew nobara was coming back

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

RevolverDivider posted:

My read on the ending line is that it's basically like Black Flash. Sukuna is legit taking damage and getting hosed up, but he isn't feeling the vibe of a fight to the death yet as nobody's hit him with anything he finds crazy or interesting since Gojo. If he got really invested into the fight, it would spike his power back up the same way a Black Flash would. He's still got tools in reserve like Open to keep himself alive, but if he was enjoying himself or found the people he was fighting interesting he'd be more invested in the fight even with the massive damage he's taking and would likely be receiving a similar boost to a Black Flash. It's more-so about Sukuna's mindset and personality and he doesn't need to get hyped for this when he's still got some final cards to play.

so what you're telling me is that sukuna is gonna get bored to death

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Break next week

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm into this

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Tosk posted:

Break next week

He should honestly take a longer break or get someone to help. People say they like his style but at this point we get mostly scribbles during some sections.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://imgur.com/a/LATWK7H

super rough pre tcb scans

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is that how lovely the stuff actually looks in WSJ because of the awful paper quality etc?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

it looks better in person, it's just not very good when scanned

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yeah like i've only personally experienced either scans that have had lots of cleaning done or are official or proper volume releases that I assume are higher quality. I'm just a bit surprised with current scanners its still that bad

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

lol at the note this chapter leaves us on. at this point I'm just not sure what's really coming. between Uraume's dialogue last chap and Sukuna pulling off a black flash to drop Maki without needing Open, which also means his cursed energy output should be going back up somewhat, protags are really needing Gege to throw them a bone.

for all the bitching in this thread that I also frequently participate in, though, I've loved following this fight week to week and the speculation about it has been an all timer for shonen battle manga for me. At this point in sheer chapter count it has to be getting up there to be among the longest as well, no? I think in May it will have occupied the entire last year of publication.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 7, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Not really a shounen, and not really a fight, but everything feels like the blink of an eye compared to fukumoto drawing washizu vs akagi every month for 15 freaking years.

As for this chapter maybe kusakabe will depress sukuna enough to make his output drop again.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

People are gonna be mad but I liked this chapter quite a bit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I'm mostly neutral on it. Another case of hyping up a sorcerer as the strongest (though only Grade 1) just falls flat, but the actual fight is pretty cool. (I am assuming Maki is not, in fact, actually out of action.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Flair posted:

Well this post is more funny now given current events.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the strongest can survive for idk five minutes maybe? He might catch a bit of Sukuna attention/praise for being very refined/skillful for a weakling

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Its kinda crazy to find out now that Kusakabe is easily the strongest sorceror behind Sukuna, Gojo, Yuta, Getojaku, and Yuki. You'd think it would have come up (last chapter's "you could" is still hilarious to me ofc).

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

It's been subtle but pretty consistent with his characterization throughout the series. I dunno if it's really that clear cut, the Zenin projection sorcerers were probably stronger just off the top of my head.

He was hyped as the only person to become a Grade 1 Sorcerer with no innate CT, has consistently demonstrated good battle sense and been among the quickest to understand high level stuff like barrier fuckery and good strategy, and he blocked Uzumaki without taking much damage way back when.

Of course, all of this means he's about to get put through the meat grinder, but it's cool that he's getting this shout out. I think Maki is going to stand back up afterwards and go another round while we wait for whatever will conclude the fight to come around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Conspiratiorist posted:

What I'm holding out for is Kusakabe getting some focus, but Gege's full intention for the character might be for all his cool moments to be of the "blink and you'll miss it" variety.

Thank you, Gege.