Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://x.com/RadishHarmers/status/1764816306166026469?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1764966484273402110?t=n9aFvCbs38LWqwCY2xaxbA&s=19

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
Yeah, I was remembering right, in the novel the great houses don't declare war because they simply can't as long as Paul has a monopoly on spice:

quote:

The Emperor's entourage could be heard approaching now, his Sardaukar humming one of their marching tunes to keep up their spirits. There came a murmur of voices at the entrance and Gurney Halleck passed through the guard, crossed to confer with Stilgar, then moved to Paul's side, a strange look in his eyes.

Will I lose Gurney, too? Paul wondered. The way I lost Stilgar - losing a friend to gain a creature?

"They have no throwing weapons," Gurney said. "I've made sure of that myself." He glanced around the room, seeing Paul's preparations. "Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen is with them. Shall I cut him out?"

"Leave him."

"There're some Guild people, too, demanding special privileges, threatening an embargo against Arrakis. I told them I'd give you their message."

"Let them threaten."

"Paul!" Jessica hissed behind him. "He's talking about the Guild!"

"I'll pull their fangs presently," Paul said.

And he thought then about the Guild - the force that had specialized for so long that it had become a parasite, unable to exist independently of the life upon which it fed. They had never dared grasp the sword . . . and now they could not grasp it. They might have taken Arrakis when they realized the error of specializing on the melange awareness-spectrum narcotic for their navigators. They could have done this, lived their glorious day and died. Instead, they'd existed from moment to moment, hoping the seas in which they swam might produce a new host when the old one died.

The Guild navigators, gifted with limited prescience, had made the fatal decision: they'd chosen always the clear, safe course that leads ever downward into stagnation.

Let them look closely at their new host , Paul thought.

And later:

quote:

"There's a massed armada of the Great Houses in space over Arrakis right now," the Emperor said. "I've but to say the word and they'll - "

"Oh, yes," Paul said, "I almost forgot about them." He searched through the Emperor's suite until he saw the faces of the two Guildsmen, spoke aside to Gurney. "Are those the Guild agents, Gurney, the two fat ones dressed in gray over there?"

"Yes, m'Lord."

"You two," Paul said, pointing. "Get out of there immediately and dispatch messages that will get that fleet on its way home. After this, you'll ask my permission before - "

"The Guild doesn't take your orders!" the taller of the two barked. He and his companion pushed through to the barrier lances, which were raised at a nod from Paul. The two men stepped out and the taller leveled an arm at Paul, said: "You may very well be under embargo for your - "

"If I hear any more nonsense from either of you," Paul said, "I'll give the order that'll destroy all spice production on Arrakis . . . forever."

"Are you mad?" the tall Guildsman demanded. He fell back half a step.

"You grant that I have the power to do this thing, then?" Paul asked.

The Guildsman seemed to stare into space for a moment, then: "Yes, you could do it, but you must not."

"Ah-h-h," Paul said and nodded to himself. "Guild navigators, both of you, eh?"

"Yes!"

The shorter of the pair said: "You would blind yourself, too, and condemn us all to slow death. Have you any idea what it means to be deprived of the spice liquor once you're addicted?"

"The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever," Paul said. "The Guild is crippled. Humans become little isolated clusters on their isolated planets. You know, I might do this thing out of pure spite . . . or out of ennui."

"Let us talk this over privately," the taller Guildsman said. "I'm sure we can come to some compromise that is - "

"Send the message to your people over Arrakis," Paul said. "I grow tired of this argument. If that fleet over us doesn't leave soon there'll be no need for us to talk." He nodded toward his communications men at the side of the hall. "You may use our equipment."

"First we must discuss this," the tall Guildsman said. "We cannot just - "

"Do it!" Paul barked. "The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it. You've agreed I have that power. We are not here to discuss or to negotiate or to compromise. You will obey my orders or suffer the immediate consequences!"

"He means it," the shorter Guildsman said. And Paul saw the fear grip them.

Slowly the two crossed to the Fremen communications equipment.

"Will they obey?" Gurney asked.

"They have a narrow vision of time," Paul said. "They can see ahead to a blank wall marking the consequences of disobedience. Every Guild navigator on every ship over us can look ahead to that same wall. They'll obey."

Paul turned back to look at the Emperor, said: "When they permitted you to mount your father's throne, it was only on the assurance that you'd keep the spice flowing. You've failed them, Majesty. Do you know the consequences?"

"Nobody permitted me to - "

"Stop playing the fool," Paul barked. "The Guild is like a village beside a river. They need the water, but can only dip out what they require. They cannot dam the river and control it, because that focuses attention on what they take, it brings down eventual destruction. The spice flow, that's their river, and I have built a dam. But my dam is such that you cannot destroy it without destroying the river."

The Emperor brushed a hand through his red hair, glanced at the backs of the two Guildsmen.

"Even your Bene Gesserit Truthsayer is trembling," Paul said. "There are other poisons the Reverend Mothers can use for their tricks, but once they've used the spice liquor, the others no longer work."

As for the reasons for the jihad, it's barely touched on in Dune 1, but there's (A) revenge:

quote:

"She's a princess," Paul said. "She's my key to the throne, and that's all she'll ever be. Mistake? You think because I'm what you made me that I cannot feel the need for revenge?"

"Even on the innocent?" she asked, and she thought: He must not make the mistakes I made .

"There are no innocent any more," Paul said.

...and (B) it's implied that his fremen army, like many other historical armies, would demand some kind of spoils — land, titles, etc. — and the only way to satisfy them is with more conquest:

quote:

"He is to be stripped. I'll want an earldom and CHOAM directorship for Gurney Halleck, and him in the fief of Caladan. There will be titles and attendant power for every surviving Atreides man, not excepting the lowliest trooper."

"What of the Fremen?" Jessica asked.

"The Fremen are mine," Paul said. "What they receive shall be dispensed by Muad'Dib. It'll begin with Stilgar as Governor on Arrakis, but that can wait."

It doesn't really make sense in the film because they're represented as religious fanatics totally under Paul's thumb, instead of an army whose continuing loyalty depends on Paul fulfilling his promises to them.

Cassian of Imola fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 6, 2024

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quote:

But religion as a concept, and seemingly a major theme, is still present: Dune: Awakening will zero in on the Butlerian jihad - the historical war of the Dune universe, between humans and artificial intelligence, "topical," as Bylos notes - for instance.

"I found a point in the universe - like it was a really fun thing to go back to the Herberts and be like, "Hey, if we say this happened in our universe, and then this is the flow of consequences from that, so at this point, things changed, are you okay with that?" Because then I can kind of position everything for a video game, and they were like, "Yeah, actually that's great", and then you're not stepping on the lore."

hope everyone is ready to fight terminators

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The absolute lack of water discipline made me scream inside my head.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cimber posted:

Mind you, i haven't read the other books, but how exactly is that going to work? The Fremen are great warriors on Arrakis, yeah, but once they are off their native soil how well are things going to go for them? They don't have the home dune advantage after all.

Unexplained timeskip. Seriously.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Villeneuve learned from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and gave Chani a blue bandana so you could tell her from the other fremen

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Villeneuve learned from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and gave Chani a blue bandana so you could tell her from the other fremen

She should have painted her face in blue woad, that worked well for Mel.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Ironically, after re-reading the end of Dune, I find the representation of the Fremen as a body a lot more orientalist in the film than in the book. Yes, they are religious in the book, but they aren't blindly loyal. They expect Paul to deliver things for them; they expect the jihad to enrich them (just like in real life holy wars, no matter what religion!).

In the Villeneuve film, on the other hand, to the extent that their loyalty to Paul is explained at all, they're maniacs and dupes. Their fanaticism is a repeated point of comic relief. Does the fact that the Fremen look like Arab Muslims make it easier for audiences to swallow their religious extremism, their motiveless bloodlust? Of course it does. They're [Fremen], what do you expect!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Cassian of Imola posted:

one more crit on the nitpicky side: just loving say 'jihad' you guys

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

In book 2 it's made explicit that the fremen are just too dang superstitious for their own good and go genocide everyone and paul can't stop them.
Paul later becomes jesus. It's all pretty stupid and only gets stupider with every book.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Good point. I hadn't even thought of that, but yeah, it is completely consistent to both (A) make audience prejudice against Arabs a linchpin of your storytelling and (B) censor Arab words to avoid offending that same audience

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

you know, I hate to say it, but the casting was really weak outside of the Harkonnens.. Timothee, Walken and Zendaya 👎

fun movie but the emotional core was really weak.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Dune lore question (only read the first book):
Are the fremen just great fighters purely because of the harsh conditions of arrakis/colonial rule, or (as I thought when I read it) are they borderline prescient due to spice exposure and so can "read" opponents in hand to hand combat? Does this ever get discussed?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The nuke scene felt like the biggest moving thing I’d ever seen in my life

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

cohsae posted:

Are the fremen just great fighters purely because of the harsh conditions of arrakis/colonial rule, or (as I thought when I read it) are they borderline prescient due to spice exposure and so can "read" opponents in hand to hand combat? Does this ever get discussed?

Just because of the harsh conditions of Arrakis/constant state of war for generations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

cohsae posted:

Its cuz they do that flippy thing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey if you nuke a bunch of mountains doesn’t that still mean there’s a ton of rock underground? How are worms supposed to cross that

Wouldn’t the ground be super hot

I think this movie might be a tad unrealistic

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel

Famethrowa posted:

you know, I hate to say it, but the casting was really weak outside of the Harkonnens.. Timothee, Walken and Zendaya 👎

fun movie but the emotional core was really weak.

Nothing against her, but Zendaya in particular was a bad choice. Should have been an Arabic/Middle Eastern actress. It was hilarious how they tried to play off her American accent by saying she was a "Northern" Fremen.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Steve Yun posted:

Hey if you nuke a bunch of mountains doesn’t that still mean there’s a ton of rock underground? How are worms supposed to cross that

if you watch the 80s movie it's like 350 degrees Kelvin above the surface already lol

I don't remember if that's directly from the books but it's already hot af homie

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cassian of Imola posted:

Ironically, after re-reading the end of Dune, I find the representation of the Fremen as a body a lot more orientalist in the film than in the book. Yes, they are religious in the book, but they aren't blindly loyal. They expect Paul to deliver things for them; they expect the jihad to enrich them (just like in real life holy wars, no matter what religion!).

In the Villeneuve film, on the other hand, to the extent that their loyalty to Paul is explained at all, they're maniacs and dupes. Their fanaticism is a repeated point of comic relief. Does the fact that the Fremen look like Arab Muslims make it easier for audiences to swallow their religious extremism, their motiveless bloodlust? Of course it does. They're [Fremen], what do you expect!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

The guy controlling the worm did a sick kickflip over it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

banned from Starbucks posted:

The guy controlling the worm did a sick kickflip over it

free willy but worm

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Illmade posted:

Nothing against her, but Zendaya in particular was a bad choice. Should have been an Arabic/Middle Eastern actress. It was hilarious how they tried to play off her American accent by saying she was a "Northern" Fremen.

she was super wooden overall. that's a tough challenge given the source so I don't really blame her but drat did they need an unknown weirdo who would really juice those goofball lines.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the Timmy and Zen star power gets the zoomers in the seats.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Villeneuve movies never have great casting. Gosling in BR2049 was uninspired — simply an echo of his Drive persona. Renner and Adams were decent in Arrival but come on, could you pick two more milquetoast actors?

Here, Walken is one of the worst casting decisions in a blockbuster I’ve seen in a while. That said I think Pugh is gonna be incredible in the sequel, where her role will presumably be larger.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

mfs keep blaming 'the source material' for poo poo that isn't even in the book

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vegetable posted:

Here, Walken is one of the worst casting decisions in a blockbuster I’ve seen in a while. That said I think Pugh is gonna be incredible in the sequel, where her role will presumably be larger.

Yeah I groaned when I heard his casting and that turned out to be the right instinct. Pugh however is amazing in everything

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Was the casting so bad?

Maybe Chani would have been better off as an Arab girl (any Arabs in the cast would have been an improvement) but I thought Zendaya did a pretty good job

What was so wrong about Walken?

Edit: I noticed the Emperor seemed way feeble and ineffectual compared to the 84 version but I think that had more to do with the script than Walken

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 6, 2024

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Cassian of Imola posted:

Yeah, I was remembering right, in the novel the great houses don't declare war because they simply can't as long as Paul has a monopoly on spice:

There's actually another part worth mentioning when comes to the movies pretty significant deviation in that regard:

quote:

"I swear to you now," he whispered, "that you'll need no title. That woman over there will be my wife and you but a concubine because this is a political thing and we must weld peace out of this moment, enlist the Great Houses of the Landsraad. We must obey the forms. Yet that princess shall have no more of me than my name. No child of mine nor touch nor softness of glance, nor instant of desire."

The ending of Dune is Paul in a position of absolute victory, dividing up the spoils and preparing for a restoration of peace and political norms under his rule. It's a book written as if it was the end of it's story so there's no lead-in to the Jihad, and Messiah immediately jumps ahead to a point where the Jihad is already concluded without feeling much need to explain anything about what happened inbetween.

The movie version at the very least, makes it abundantly clear that things are about to get much worse.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cassian of Imola posted:

In the Villeneuve film, on the other hand, to the extent that their loyalty to Paul is explained at all, they're maniacs and dupes. Their fanaticism is a repeated point of comic relief.

Yeah the only funny bit in the new movie was Stilgar and his announcement of "Lisan al-Gaib!" whenever Paul did anything. Those moments were certainly played for comedy, but Stilgar as a whole is a comic relief character in this movie.

Anyway part of the reason I don't think a third movie is necessary is because of how much this book foreshadows that things go wrong for Paul. Changing what happens with Chani is part of it, but also Jessica talking about the holy war, the fact that his biggest believer is played for comic relief, and the general tenor of the whole ending is very "this is the hollow victory before the fall."

Certainly I'd watch a third movie though.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Tim and Zen are a big part of why these films are popular outside of 40yo male nerds on dead forums.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Because Geidi prime externals were shot in infrared I enjoyed that the Bene Gesserit robes turn from black to white when they stepped outside

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Stilgar hyping up the Mahdi/ Lisan Al Gaib reminded me of Life of Brian.
https://youtu.be/4HB7zqP9QNo?si=1H-JSLxSyI-6lq0f

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Tim and Zen are a big part of why these films are popular outside of 40yo male nerds on dead forums.

Cassian of Imola posted:

mfs keep blaming 'the source material' for poo poo that isn't even in the book

Steve Yun posted:

Because Geidi prime externals were shot in infrared I enjoyed that the Bene Gesserit robes turn from black to white when they stepped outside

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

watched it again and idk y'all are crazy. it's incredibly loving good. or maybe it's me, maybe I'm the crazy one.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Vegetable posted:

Villeneuve movies never have great casting. Gosling in BR2049 was uninspired — simply an echo of his Drive persona. Renner and Adams were decent in Arrival but come on, could you pick two more milquetoast actors?

His casting in Enemy and Polytech is fantastic

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ccs posted:

Yeah the only funny bit in the new movie was Stilgar and his announcement of "Lisan al-Gaib!" whenever Paul did anything.

Did we watch the same movie? Stilgar is funny sure but Feyd Rautha has plenty of funny moments (like Lady Fenring telling Reverend Mother Mohaim that the box got Feyd SUPER horny), and theres a scattering of funny moments between Paul and Chani early on in their relationship. Its not Marvel Quip level but the film has more levity than you think.

kalel posted:

watched it again and idk y'all are crazy. it's incredibly loving good. or maybe it's me, maybe I'm the crazy one.

Nah, I'm with you. Sure I think some of the decisions Villeneuve made were a little eyebrow raising (like cutting the Guild out of the final confrontation or the lack of MENA actors) but these are incredibly minor complaints about a movie and movie series that is, so far, every bit the equal of Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy or Original Trilogy Star Wars.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cimber posted:

Mind you, i haven't read the other books, but how exactly is that going to work? The Fremen are great warriors on Arrakis, yeah, but once they are off their native soil how well are things going to go for them? They don't have the home dune advantage after all.

67 billion dead.

So, it's going to go really loving well for them. Amazingly enough when you are stuck on a planet the people from space can just infinitely gently caress with you forever and you can do nothing about it. All space travel goes through the guild, who needs spice, and Paul controls the spice. So nobody gets to meaningfully attack Paul.

Not in a straight fight, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Cassian of Imola posted:

Denis is French Canadian, they are very let's say, weird about Muslims. More so than Albertans, hard as that is to believe.