Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Vim Fuego posted:

Just plumb both the hot tap and the cold tap to the cold water pipe. They'll both still work, you just won't get hot water. Who cares about that?

This appears to be how the middle of three bathrooms at work is done. I asked about it about a year after we moved into the then-new building (in 2009), and the sigh and vague comment I got made it clear that it was way, way, more work and money to fix than the value of not washing your hands in 4°C water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Thank you, OP for delivering steady content that makes me laugh and shake my head

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

. lol I started this project partly with fun in mind

Welp, it's been fun to read about at least

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

probably hosed up this oak thing all over again. ideal.

Wait, is this not sealed or anything? I just kind of assumed that happened somewhere off camera since this admittedly handsome piece of woodwork is going to be supporting a sink and is going to get wet again in its lifetime.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
[L]ol. [L]mao

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

aniviron posted:

Wait, is this not sealed or anything? I just kind of assumed that happened somewhere off camera since this admittedly handsome piece of woodwork is going to be supporting a sink and is going to get wet again in its lifetime.

the only places that will get wet in a room dedicated to putting water in, on, and around human bodies are exposed surfaces. therefore, sealing interior areas is a waste of time

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
On the bright side there wasn’t an AC outlet right there getting soaked.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But the external suck, as in feed to the house is fine?

So I don't get how the internal supply vents suddenly farted out a ring of sawdust after I did some woodwork? The system is:

internal rooms -> extract vents -> extract manifold -> filter -> heat exchanger(no physical overlap) -> outside -> heat exchanger(no physical overlap) -> filter -> supply manifold -> supply vents -> internal rooms

So how did sawdust get sucked up in the big room and deposited on the ceilings of all the other rooms? Its unpossible.

Either you've done something undocumented or I'm going to guess some sort of back-draft in the supply vents?

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

redleader posted:

the only places that will get wet in a room dedicated to putting water in, on, and around human bodies are exposed surfaces. therefore, sealing interior areas is a waste of time

Apologies if I'm stumbling into a whoosh here. Sealing one side of a piece of wood is generally worse than not sealing at all. Wood laps up humidity from the air and if there's one side of a plank can and the other can't, you'll get a nice banana.

I'd probably put 5 coats on every surface of that thing. Or 3, but say 5 on the Internet.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I am not having a bidet. Had a bidet for years. Never used it.

My parents built a house and put in a bidet in... 1993/4. It has yet to be used.

sounds like a skill issue. use the bidet, get in the habit of washing your butt everytime

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

aniviron posted:

stoopiduk posted:

Apologies if I'm stumbling into a whoosh here. Sealing one side of a piece of wood is generally worse than not sealing at all. Wood laps up humidity from the air and if there's one side of a plank can and the other can't, you'll get a nice banana.

I'd probably put 5 coats on every surface of that thing. Or 3, but say 5 on the Internet.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My oak vanity thing needs staining/protecting whatever as everyone has pointed out. Danish oil seems fine? Need a bunch of coats and sanding and oh god everyone is so anal about everything

so thats one coat (out of five!)

Yeah the other one I've not poured water all over has had 5 coats of oil all round.

The one I've poured water all over I hadn't done that yet as I'm working on a slightly different finish for this one.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The one I've poured water all over I hadn't done that yet as I'm working on a slightly different finish for this one.

"One weird trick to seal woodwork. Carpenters hate him!"

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I hope instead of ‘H’ and ‘C’ you have labelled those taps both ‘L’

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

No that's for if both taps get routed to the same pipe, then it's L for Lukewarm.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah the other one I've not poured water all over has had 5 coats of oil all round.

So, not sure on the exact formulation you used since Danish oil is not really one specific thing, but at least in the states, it's not really an appropriate finish for something you anticipate getting wet regularly

It'll bead up small spills but if you have water sitting you'll have a nice ring

I've got my desk finished with Danish oil and have a couple cup rings I need to fix. Good news is you can just sand it down and reapply right on top, no need to strip

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Epiphyte posted:

if you have water sitting you'll have a nice ring

No he's not doing a bidet.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've discovered hard wax oil recently and it's been great... Rubio monocoat is the name brand, but I've been using Natura Onecoat which is a fraction of the price.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lets sort that dastardly leak. Having identified the most likely location, only one really. Cut a hole in the wall

zeroed in nicely

turn on hot water and yeah leaking away downstairs. But not here... bugger.

stick my head in that hatch on the right

yeah

Its this bend here isnt pushed on properly. Cut that hole for nothing.

all good now

lol tape and patch it back up

back away back away pretend this never happened

floor tiles are coming today. Time to start up the digger. hasnt moved for god knows how long. battery been on charge over the weekend

She lives!!!

two pallets. trucker unloads up at the road and I remove to here. hmmm. lucky I took this photo it turns out.

You see some telltale bits of wood sat on top of the plastic wrap there?

when i cut it open theres damage

Drivers hosed off by now of course as how are you supposed to inspect this before unwrapping it. I havent touched the top of the pallet and you can see from the nature of that damage to the cardboard. Someone has loaded a pallet or something on top of this and cracked all the tiles through

Its not obvious until I open the second pallet but they've loaded up a few packs at either end with the middle ones vertical in between. This pallet has been disturbed, cracked all the tiles on the ends and slumped the middle ones, but not damaged them actually.

Heres the second pallet that hasnt been squashed

take photos, doesnt look like much

but you can see that point load has been enough to crack the tiles all the way through

so thats like 8% wrecked before I even get started. The 5% breakage I've allowed myself is for me, not them.

Ring them up and immediately into excuses. It just disgusts me. Lol I dunno I'm confident it will get sorted. But the first words out of your mouth when I ring up to tell you this should not be some bullshit variation of "thats to be expected" or whatever. It should be I'm sorry or something. ffs

Especially as the other pallet was perfect. No breakages. So its not to be expected. Its if some moron puts a pallet on top of it they all break.

big muddy mess

You can see from the packaging that the tiles are from two different batches, which they did warn me about. The two different colour boxes. So need to mix them up. But lol, look at that bit of sample tile. How useful

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 18, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can tell them that if this level of breakage is to be expected, then they'll have built that expectation into their prices so that they can refund their customers at the expected loss rate. Because you're not paying for poo poo that was damaged before or during delivery.

Of course that might not net you jack or poo poo, because you have very little leverage, sorry mate

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ring them up and immediately into excuses. It just disgusts me. Lol I dunno I'm confident it will get sorted. But the first words out of your mouth when I ring up to tell you this should not be some bullshit variation of "thats to be expected" or whatever. It should be I'm sorry or something. ffs

Nice of them to admit fault so brazenly.

Know your rights and be a stubborn oval office about it mate.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was gonna say don't patch up that hole you made. Make it into a removable hatch for future service. Too late now though

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was gonna say don't patch up that hole you made. Make it into a removable hatch for future service. Too late now though

It is removable, you just have to chop the same hole again

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
If it were me I might look into access hatches before cutting holes 3 feet away from said access hatch.

I enjoyed the story though.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Nothing more dangerous than a theory that sounds good

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The house isn't big enough for full Jefferies tubes.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Did you learn nothing from Failed Galvanised Ducts Producing Rust Marks That Actually Turned Out To Be Sawdust-Gate?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

RINGTONE RINGTONE

eurgh wtf?

hi this is BT move your car

Oh right. Internet men. Hungover.

race up and move the car off. Straight away issues. The fat end connector is stuck in the duct and they can't pull it out to re pull it through the new bypass bend.

We think the tarmac bag theyve poured over the hole they made has gunked into the open cast iron bend and set the connector in place.

loving clown car

So plan is... do what they didnt want to do in the first place. Run a new fibre down from the pole in to the manhole and splice it there into the unpullable fibre left coiled up in there.

They could have done this months ago. But do it now instead.

And then do the house end splice between internal/external fibre.

He tests it. We have a connection! Just need to buy a router.

But its a temporary connection. Presumably thats why hes done a poo poo job off the house splice and left ribre hanging out of the wall protection thingy?

He's remarked the ground out the front of my driveway and is sending back the civils boys to dig back up the skinny bodge they put in here between my private duct and the public one. Once thats done they'll come back out and rerun the whole fibre from pole top to house ankle in one run without the underground splice as it should have been originally. I have zero faith in this happening quickly or without further turmoil.

Getting the router tomorrow hopefully and will do a mega speed test then to see what its like! Before they gently caress it all back up again.

anyway

phwoar... look at it float tantalisingly

tape up joints and put some water proof gunk on. using sparingly as I havent got much left and dont want to get more until I inevitably have to

by the way you can absolutely stand on that. I'm convinced. Probably an elephant could.

I;ve ordered two more cheap (not quite as cheap anymore) oak worktops that I'll use as the actual worktop in the utility room and for the tops of these boxes and a few other places so theyre accessible

Cos once I looked in I realised it was quite accessible and pretty much everything could be serviceable/rep[laceable if I kept the "lids" demountable wood rather than tiling it all in forever.

Still got the utility room WC to sort out.

I have used these loving horrible in ground water pipe connector thingies that I was never convinced about at the time and having been through the 3rd party screeders they are definitely very poor buildability. I have to hack away at the ground to recover them.

Which isnt so bad but they are supposed to be like pull out serviceable. Theres no way. Anyway blast them with airline to clean out grot from the far end where the manifold will be in the utility room under cabinets.

And screw in with these hep20 threaded connectors. This is a ballache its very hard to access so close to the ground and you need to get a spanner on to tighten them up

Just those male threaded connectors to receive the hep20 pipe into them are a fiver a go. I've spent like 100quid on those alone so far in various places.

What even are these in ground things? I can't remember how or why I got hem or what they are? I'm sure theyre wavin brand. As in proper hep20. But internet searching for them is difficult.

Heres bad photos of what they lookedlike before

theyve this i think

which are so poo poo they dont do them anymore. Hard agree

I can amend my exiting test setup to feed them water to make sure those in floor connections are good cos theyll be no fixing them later once they are boxed in under the basin.

Surprisingly all good. Ignore the big puddle, thats not a leak just me being a moron that doesnt understand simple consequences.

Floor in here is pretty level so that willl be fun to tile with my massive tiles.

Oh the company are sending me 3 more packs for free to cover the breakages! so 9 tiles.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
When are you plumbing in the coffee machine?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I hope you shelled out the extra money for the underfloor milk frothing system

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Wait, is there no bench-top in the bathroom? Like after the sink goes in?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
It's BYOB

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
Try posting from the connection when you get it up and running. We can check the QoS.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

so I've been brewing one up for a while

I wanna turn the oak vanity in the ensuite a bit darker to like fit the monastic tone of that space (no females)

so I'm gonna ebonize it. You apparently can't just buy the poo poo youve got to homework it with vinegar and steel wool

a week later

and its pretty gross

You're supposed to strain out the iron filings with a coffee filter first? I dunno what the gently caress too excitd so put it straight on a sample

it take ages to filtr and then I keep doing the same thing where I get bored and squish the filter and it breaks and all the poo poo goes through and I'v got to start again ffs

its weird and i dunno why one sample has stained so different to the other

also it loving stinks

so i down it

lol no. but you know when you just think and thing and then get the urge and can't shale t and really want to do it no matter how terrible an idea it is?

Well yeah hence this thread i guess

but no

proper nice and dark, but still variation and grain. sexy

few hours later and now it looks like this

i dunno. do it again?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What does it look like if you get it a little wet? I'm thinking you probably just need a decent topcoat to bring out the color?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You know wood stain is a product you can buy right

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Nighthand posted:

You know wood stain is a product you can buy right

Why buy what you can make

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Wait until he has to decide what color to stain the bike shed

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

congrats OP you invented wood stain

what you are doing is oxidizing steel to get iron oxide aka rust and using that natural pigment. What it looks like wet is probably what it'll look like with finish applied, and when it dries you're back to the rough surface of the wood that reflects light from every scratch and will always look a bit dull.

also you're losing out on all the lovely additives in modern stains that help them penetrate, go on smoothly, resist fading, be consistent from one batch to the next, etc. etc. so like :shrug: doing it yourself is cool and all but you should seriously just buy some wood stain

to test, put it on your test piece and then apply your finish - that danish oil or whatever. Testing with stains etc. is not going to show you your actual result unless you do all the finish work you'd do to your real piece, also to your test piece. That includes rough sanding beforehand if you sanded your real piece.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jeez cheer up everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I think it's great. Have you considered burning the surface to get a blackened look?

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/burnt-wood-finish/