Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't seen Euphonium but I know at one point the band plays Rydeen so it must be peak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jyEphbGo4

yeah that's what i'm talkin' about. badass arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the bari sax solo at the station concert set me off on seriously saxophone shopping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMmhPtnxzAo

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
sax ftw

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

do you have any adult sax learning advice

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Southern Cassowary posted:

do you have any adult sax learning advice

i am not a sax player but i am a winds player. get lessons and practice a lot. sax you can practice much more than brass so youve got no excuse

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
what genre are you interested in

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Thank you, BanG Dream! It's MyGO!! for today's vocabularly word, "noraneko" (stray cat; alley cat).

Fun moment from episode six...
https://i.imgur.com/Ts5K7It.mp4

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ohtori Akio posted:

what genre are you interested in

jazz and the weird avant garde guys who lay down solos on like napalm death songs

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

jazz and the weird avant garde guys who lay down solos on like napalm death songs

ok jazz is probably what you want to chase in order to get both those skillsets. get a sensei and once the basics are there try to have a group you're practicing regularly with or ideally performing too. in my big city there's a very active adult jazz learners scene but its probabnly gonna be harder anywhere else

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ohtori Akio posted:

in my big city there's a very active adult jazz learners scene but its probabnly gonna be harder anywhere else

yeah i'm currently in the middle of nowhere so hanging with other jazz adult learners is a pipe dream but i honestly didn't know this was a thing and i'll have to hunt that down once i'm closer to civilization

a teacher was definitely in the cards because i'm a self-taught guitarist and i have a bunch of weird rear end technique hangups even now. my vibrato is insanely weird and kind of rear end, lol.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

yeah i'm currently in the middle of nowhere so hanging with other jazz adult learners is a pipe dream but i honestly didn't know this was a thing and i'll have to hunt that down once i'm closer to civilization

a teacher was definitely in the cards because i'm a self-taught guitarist and i have a bunch of weird rear end technique hangups even now. my vibrato is insanely weird and kind of rear end, lol.

fortunately being a solo jazz learner is way less daunting these days than 20 or 40 years ago. once you know the basics and some scales you can just gently caress around with aebersold backing tracks indefinitely and have a blast

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colonel posted:

to be clear this is my personal grasp of the nuance of how people discuss class s on the western net. there's probably more to it but this is the weird zone of discussion it always enters when someone is bringing it up for the sake of argument about the validity of something being real gay or whatever. over here it's kinda been stripped of any real meaning besides being a bogeyman for paranoid people

My very limited knowledge is that it very much started by literature movement that had queer themes and had legit queer works.....But also got co-opted in some circles by the Takarazuka review to be about friendship and growing out of it so it's not really cut and dry like some in the west who will say something is Class S and thus isn't yuri.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The band competition episode of Eupho was some peak kino.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the thing about class s that a lot of western discourse misses is that the growing out of it or being pulled apart is often treated as a bad thing, or sad. its not 'hurr gays will grow out of eventually cause it isnt real,' its about societal pressures and the course of people's lives. of course sometimes this is handled extremely poorly and there is some stuff that treats it like that but, i dont think you are meant to see double suicide and go 'wow those gays got what they deserved.'

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
heres a generalization that comes to mind which i hope a more in depth class S knower can correct if its wrong. in class S the lesbian romance is typically in conflict with the constraints of society whereas in yuri the lesbian romance is typically in conflict with self-imposed limitations. maybe that generality is about prewar and postwar japanese romance stories more generally

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ehhhh. Theres yuri stuff where society is a factor. Peep run away with me girl. Class S is better described as like, lesbian romance without the societal idea of lesbianism. Tho thats imperfect too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seriously peep run away with me girl

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Endorph posted:

:cheers: synopsis looks great

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Its insanely good

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i think it is good to read stories about grown women with baggage and priorities who nevertheless fall in love. one of these days im going to get t4c grownup yuri content

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yuri Drill's had a few oneshots like that but unfortunately the gimmick of yuri drill is each oneshot is only one page long

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
egads!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yuri oneshot anthologies are a great way to see how many artists who got contracted to do the manga for poo poo like ive been killing slimes for 300 years are much funnier, flashier artists when drawing random yuri jokes on the side

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo this is the modern day queer tragedy

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
opened run away with me girl and its immediately obvious the author had it horrendous for some blonde chick at some point

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe their life was also ruined by being complimented by a gyaru

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
This is a pretty interesting conversation.

I was lucky enough to miss the online discourse over euphonium when it was happening because my first contact with the series was a friend really liking Liz and the Blue Bird and when I expressed interest in watching it they recommended I watch Sound! Euphonium first. I quite liked it. Probably gonna rewatch it at some point, too.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Ibblebibble posted:

The band competition episode of Eupho was some peak kino.

in the movie the big concert has some pretty jarring cuts to 3d that dont really work for me
you get sweeping moving shots from it but the character animation is really stilted compared to the vivid 2d animation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Popping in to say that Borderlands is fun until you get overleveled because the scaling curve in the game is completely hosed. It's even worse in 2 and I didn't play 3 but it stops being fun when you're 15 levels higher than any given mission's suggested difficulty, except all that means is that you roll trash weapons in chests that do zero damage against a handful of enemies who do actually scale and will one shot you.

Music is still great as well as the character builds. Zero my beloved.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol the Rent-A-Girlfriend mangaka is getting dragged on Twitter for dipping into creating AI artwork.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i supported him getting that bag all this time and this is how he repays me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i guess i'm not surprised the guy whose career seems to be stretching out a bland manga for as long as possible would be interested in doing something extremely lazy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Colonel posted:

i guess i'm not surprised the guy whose career seems to be stretching out a bland manga for as long as possible would be interested in doing something extremely lazy

Yeah, I'm not surprised but it's still a huge bummer

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sacrifice him on the legendary altar

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

Sacrifice him on the legendary altar

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Popping in to say that Borderlands is fun until you get overleveled because the scaling curve in the game is completely hosed. It's even worse in 2 and I didn't play 3 but it stops being fun when you're 15 levels higher than any given mission's suggested difficulty, except all that means is that you roll trash weapons in chests that do zero damage against a handful of enemies who do actually scale and will one shot you.

Music is still great as well as the character builds. Zero my beloved.

Zer0 ftmfw

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

symbolic posted:

Zer0 ftmfw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Miyajimareiji/status/1772580653198197138?t=Dv0qL6P_Q_Jrl63kM8Yu7A&s=19

I'm the melting ear folds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

no hands eh