Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
picking the youkai one, passing on train
love the cat and the cucumber youkai. the softness of everything reminds me of Natsume Book of Friends

going for jellyfish and euphonium and passing on Girls Band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

picking the youkai one, passing on train
love the cat and the cucumber youkai. the softness of everything reminds me of Natsume Book of Friends

going for jellyfish and euphonium and passing on Girls Band

you should watch all of those actually

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

why are you passing on train and girls band

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

absolutely astounded by the multiple posts that said this season was looking to be weak

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
felt this season was already a winner with Spice & Wolf, Konosuba, and Demon Slayer

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

that's the good stuff. i need an episode that's just a 20 minute power point presentation about buchio's yokai 401k options

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Blue Archive: I used to play this before. Unfortunately, the game eventually got so big I don't have enough memory to store the game anymore. This seems like a faithful adaptation of the game. I even got nostalgic hearing the remixed version of the game's OST. It's just that it skipped the prologue segment, so the story starts at Volume 1. Maybe the prologue is the next episode?

Skipping the prologue battle and the introduction to a few school representatives was probably reasonable for a few reasons - ramping up the absurdity of the world a bit too fast, and skipping having to pay for voice lines for characters likely not appearing again, to name two. Skipping the entirety of the rest though, to include the GSC/SCHALE introduction, was a tad more dubious, and also directly resulted in the awkward "characters sit around expositing facts about the world to each other, despite already knowing them" (something that has become uncomfortably common in media of all stripes) sequence in Abydos. Not the worst example around, and at least partially couched in them going through the current news, but still frustrating given there was already a tailor-made sequence for that which made far more sense and worked better.

Also the bizarre choice for the expanded opening sequence, casually dropping a whole bunch of information and concepts that didn't appear in-game until Volume 4, which is absolutely not being reached this season and likely not in a potential 2nd season either.

Rest of it was generally fine. Plenty of animation with very little in the way of still frames or cutaways and the like, which is always nice for fight scenes. Characters are well presented and animated, though obviously we've only really got 6 so far. So some hiccups in the first section, but after that it's a fairly decently done introduction to the primary 5 (+1) characters of this arc and their issues, so just a matter of seeing how it goes from here.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
oh i forgot about irregular at magic high school season 3, but no news on a dub

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Spookydonut posted:

oh i forgot about irregular at magic high school season 3, but no news on a dub

I am watching this show and I can't understand why. I don't enjoy it, but I'm not hatewatching it, it's just on, which is weird because I have to manually click on the episode to stream it. I could stop myself at any time but I find myself watching the show with a kind of vacant eyed expression.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
First episode impressions!

Train to the End of the World: I'm on board. A bit heavy on the exposition, but I do like them making it clear that the weird poo poo runs on inscurtable systems rather than arbitrary whimsy. Fun time, excited to find out more.
This is extremely petty, but I strongly dislike the official title translation. Flat, removes the little bit of intrigue from the original: Do tell, where does the doomsday train go?

Bartender: It's fine. I don't drink alcohol, but indulging in the fantasy of the attentive master of his craft making the perfect personal drink for me I get the appeal. Insufficient as a hook though. Reading the blurb I was under the mistaken impression that the bar was supernatural in some capacity rather than just obscure, mild disappointment there. The staff ladies were cute.

Girls Band Cry (watched unsubbed): This one was a great time, my fav opener of the originals. As I'd hoped the aesthetic works better in context, it's occasionally hinky but benefits a lot from inventive compositing and some fun bits of character animation. Jukki Hanada bringing a surprising amount of Yorimoi into the writing, and I like the 2 leads a lot already. It's a personal thing but I love getting a strong sense for the characters' class background & material circumstances. Having them talk about how much rent they pay is always an easy way to get me.
Please somebody license this.

Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night: Given how gorgeous this is I'm suprised by how unengaging I found it. It's the dialogue: Writing conversations that are grounded without being trite is difficult, and the ones here feel consistently blunt and stiff.
It's a sister show to Girls Band Cry in many ways but that one is a more successful execution of their shared ideas? I feel like I *should* like this so it's extra frustrating this one aspect wound up a dealbreaker for me. Though the hint of skeeze certainly doesn't help. Still, gonna give it 2 more eps.

Sound! Euphonium S3: All I can say is "We are so loving back." A wonderful overture to the season. Mayu's first appearance certainly made an impact and I can't wait to find out what her deal is.

Go! Go! Loser Ranger: Solid. Very smooth animation, lots of nice camera pans. Sound direction felt off to me, though I don't know enough about it to say why. I do like the actual premise, a show from the perspective of the mook jobbers is always my jam and I like how each of their Dusters has a distinct vibe and personality given their shared design.
Dug the ED showing in-progress shots of the animation but it did also make me aware that I kind of like most of the shots more before the final layer of compositing/digital effects is applied? The episode preview is great.

Overall, I think this is a very strong start to the season. Good times!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

I am watching this show and I can't understand why. I don't enjoy it, but I'm not hatewatching it, it's just on, which is weird because I have to manually click on the episode to stream it. I could stop myself at any time but I find myself watching the show with a kind of vacant eyed expression.

let me share with you the wisdom that allowed me to abandon mahouka. the mc and his biological sister get formally engaged. that is all.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Kwyndig posted:

The episode pacing is all kinds of wacky because they stay true to the light novels and the world building is actually really interesting, the books are pretty good too if you kinda unfocus your eyes from the below

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

let me share with you the wisdom that allowed me to abandon mahouka. the mc and his biological sister get formally engaged. that is all.

no you see they aren't biological siblings because she's 100% genetically engineered and so is he pretty much and outwardly they tell everyone that he's actually his aunts child
:goonsay:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not going to put the mahouka incest plotline in spoiler tags and you shouldn't either.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

symbolic posted:

absolutely astounded by the multiple posts that said this season was looking to be weak

I've got a few to pick at now that some impressions are coming in.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not going to put the mahouka incest plotline in spoiler tags and you shouldn't either.

i think its funnier for people to find out about it after they were invested in the story... like i was :negative:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what, you actually enjoyed mahouka rather than hatereading it? that's hosed up.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

i think its funnier for people to find out about it after they were invested in the story... like i was :negative:

Yeah man, it’s freaking hilarious. Get real.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

it's even funnier to leave terrible "plot twists" of decade old LNs i will never read like that unspoiled to laugh at

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

I've got a few to pick at now that some impressions are coming in.

the fact that there's still two more on my list that need to premiere is insane to me. also insane that i think out of all of the ones so far I've watched, Girls Band Cry feels the weakest but is still very good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Gods' Game We Play ep2

Gonna drop this one, doesn't really have any stakes. And not interested in a contest of games show where I have to once again watch a slightly adjusted version of Tag, chess, shiritori, or other simple game with a hidden twist in it.

Chilling with a lv2 Super Cheat Isekai. ep1

keeping this one, easy going isekai with maxed out everything cheat with a voiced program helper. MC is an isekai not from japan, but just another fantasy world, so the isekai part just seems to be an excuse to teleport a character into a blank story slate. Vibe feels like its gonna be similar to Farming Isekai.

7th Prince Isekai ep2

Staying on it. Good new martial artist character.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
got an isekai enjoyer here

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
trying to fit in ep2 of Spicy Wolf before leaving for work.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The reviews I’m seeing of Gods’ Games We Play made me wonder: What are some better anime with a similar concept people should be watching instead?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
No Game No Life

there was one title that name escapes with God in the title.
God's Children or something. with esper powers.

Liar Game, don't think there's an anime though

Sweet Home for some korean mangas

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

symbolic posted:

I still havnt started a single show thats aired yet. Nothing catching my interest at all. :shrug:

Still plenty of weeks to go and surprises to be had though so I will hold off on calling it weak for now.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

GateOfD posted:

No Game No Life

there was one title that name escapes with God in the title.
God's Children or something. with esper powers.

Liar Game, don't think there's an anime though

Sweet Home for some korean mangas

I’ve already read Liar Game. My secondhand impression of No Game No Life’s main characters makes it seem unappealing, but maybe I should give it a try. I think the other one you’re referring to might be Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren’t They? (which I haven’t seen).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Phi Brain: Puzzle of God?

That was a neat series IMO and aired in the same NHK slot that Log Horizon would later air in. Also decent amounts of gay subtext befitting a show with shonen vibes oriented towards young boys

Edit: Second ep of Train anime and we're about to get into the spooky poo poo it seems.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Yea Problem Children is what I was thinking of

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

I still havnt started a single show thats aired yet. Nothing catching my interest at all. :shrug:

Still plenty of weeks to go and surprises to be had though so I will hold off on calling it weak for now.

this mfer doesn't like trains, bands, art, youkai, mixed drinks, or medieval economics, let's get him

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
train episode 2 continues to be extremely good. the dialogue and character animation is phenomenal

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Appraisal Isekai ep1: The main character tries to defeat racism for the sake of his future right hand man. Yes, he is dark skinned and yes, he is serving the light skinned main character.

How Ars sees the characters' stats is different and less well organized compared to the manga and I presume the LN, and I'm unsure if this version seems cheaper than if they had done the full panel pop-ups like the manga.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Appraisal Isekai ep1: The main character tries to defeat racism for the sake of his future right hand man. Yes, he is dark skinned and yes, he is serving the light skinned main character.

How Ars sees the characters' stats is different and less well organized compared to the manga and I presume the LN, and I'm unsure if this version seems cheaper than if they had done the full panel pop-ups like the manga.

I don’t know if the author fully thought through when the kid went, “maybe the rest of this race is inferior, but” lol

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Big Leg posted:

train episode 2 continues to be extremely good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Appraisal isekai makes me want to play a kingdom building sim.

But yea the way they just superimpose the character stats into the background is messy and disorganized isn’t it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Appraisal isekai makes me want to play a kingdom building sim.

But yea the way they just superimpose the character stats into the background is messy and disorganized isn’t it.

The series is very much "What if the MC's powers was to be a Kingdom Building Game player" i.e. Nobunaga's Ambition or Crusader Kings.

This is what it looks like in the manga for reference:
(some of the stat names are wrong due to translation error)

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

psh, my water combat score's higher than d. scrub.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Xelkelvos posted:

The series is very much "What if the MC's powers was to be a Kingdom Building Game player" i.e. Nobunaga's Ambition or Crusader Kings.

This is what it looks like in the manga for reference:
(some of the stat names are wrong due to translation error)

I like the 5* gacha like ranking the top of the character card which I didn’t notice if it showed in the show.
Maybe the show is trying to portray that the stats appear in his head intuitively and not a floating stat card.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
list of actionable threats that are legal to commit against anyone who isn't watching Train to the End of the World:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Xelkelvos posted:

Phi Brain: Puzzle of God?

That was a neat series IMO and aired in the same NHK slot that Log Horizon would later air in. Also decent amounts of gay subtext befitting a show with shonen vibes oriented towards young boys

Edit: Second ep of Train anime and we're about to get into the spooky poo poo it seems.

Phi Brain is also very insane in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

want to ride that train