Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

god hand is one of the best games ever made. why can't every game be as good as god hand

ign disagrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

palindrome posted:

Actually now I'm remembering that death stranding had a couple of boss fights that were bad on high difficulty because all it did was multiply the boss HP, the laziest type of difficulty slider. The boss encounters kind of sucked in general in that game so I tend to forget about them. A few were incredible though!

WW1, WW2, and Vietnam flashbacks weren't terrible in my opinion, definitely jarring and the gunplay felt like a bad COD clone but I'll give it credit and let some things slide for the sake of being weird and spicing up the narrative. I wish they'd have nailed it though, those scenes start out tense but pretty quickly I was like ok, I get where this is going I'm ready for it to be over a few minutes ago please

the WW1 part made me claw my nonexistent hair out in hard mode. The motherfucker just wouldn't die, I didn't know if I was actually dealing damage, was running out of ammo all the time, taking damage from mysterious sources, just awful all around.

The WW2 and Vietnam parts were trivial in comparison, since by then you had tools to deal with it properly. I don't think Mads fired a single shot in Vietnam, I was just too loaded by then.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

World War Mammories posted:

god hand is one of the best games ever made. why can't every game be as good as god hand

i don't know. it's just the perfect mix of weird poo poo and incredible combat system. I've heard Sifu is good in a similar way but its difficulty system is different.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I bought Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

I've never played games like Dark Souls, Chivalry, or Mount & Blade.

Any tips?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hubbert posted:

Any tips?

Return it and buy Dragon's Dogma 2

or Front Mission

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Mastering the mechanics of a game give me no joy.

that's fine but i don't think there's much compromise to be had here. You either do or you don't, hence why people like different things. Stuff like this is also why some people need a 'good story' while others just want a sandbox in which lots of little stories can emerge organically while they vibe purely on the gameplay.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Return it and buy Dragon's Dogma 2

or Front Mission

no

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

that's fine but i don't think there's much compromise to be had here. You either do or you don't, hence why people like different things. Stuff like this is also why some people need a 'good story' while others just want a sandbox in which lots of little stories can emerge organically while they vibe purely on the gameplay.

Yeah, that's all fair

and I didn't really make my hard mode comment with a value judgment attached to it
more power to the people who dig it but it's just not fun to me
I'd rather play more games (numbers) than more games (volume) because even the best game is gonna lose me at the 50 hour mark most of the time

except for BG3 you beautiful bastard I'd play you forever
but not on a harder mode

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Hubbert posted:

Any tips?

I haven't gotten started on it yet but given how build oriented it is I'd probably start by looking over the wiki and getting an idea of how you want to develop a character and where you want to take your build toward. maybe even follow a build guide your first time through while you come to grips with the system

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

oh yeah?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Hubbert posted:

Any tips?

let bernard teach you combat

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Hubbert posted:

Any tips?

live underground like a freakin CHUD

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i downloaded fallout new vegas again and i'm gonna mod the gently caress out of it and play it couch co-op style with my wife I think

I'm gonna mod the couch coop out of it and gently caress my wife

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dreylad posted:

i don't know. it's just the perfect mix of weird poo poo and incredible combat system. I've heard Sifu is good in a similar way but its difficulty system is different.

nothing in Sifu approaches the joy of juggling three dudes at once using dragon punches in God Hand

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm gonna mod the couch coop out of it and gently caress my wife

she's more interested in Resident Evil 2 I think

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

godhand went woke

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

modhand

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008
i finally finished yakuza 5. what a drat fine game. getting 100% nearly broke me though woof. if later yakuza/lad games are even longer they might actually snap me out of trying for it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Buck Wildman posted:

I read the twitter thread everyone is citing with how terrible the localization is for Eiyuden Chronicles and it seems to be a lot of teeth grinding over utterly pedantic differences and one character being called a chud. can't say I'm concerned

machine translations are always bad unless they are different than official translations in which case they are infallible and this is yet another case of evil western prudes destroying proud japanese culture like when they took the vagina bones

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they looked over and approved the localization. mad?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Been playing Dave The Diver, mostly enjoying it, just hit the glacial area.

The giant truck hermit crab is such a bullshit boss that it has almost singlehandedly ruined the game for me. I understand the strategy of how to beat the boss, but theres so much randomness, and each attempt to hit the boss takes so long, and you move so slow carrying the barrels, that it has drained a lot of goodwill the game has built up to this point.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Hubbert posted:

Any tips?

rush through until Bernard teaches you combat since that gives you the perfect block perk.

Basically everything they tell you about combat in the tutorials are lies: feinting doesn't do anything, directional attacks don't do anything but determine which piece of armor you hit, whether an enemy blocks or counters your attack is entirely determined by basically Morrowind-style dice rolls based on your stats. Because of this, perfect blocking is important because its the only thing that gives you an edge against enemies stronger than you.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Baykin posted:

i finally finished yakuza 5. what a drat fine game. getting 100% nearly broke me though woof. if later yakuza/lad games are even longer they might actually snap me out of trying for it

gently caress yeah. what section was your favorite

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Agnostalgia posted:

rush through until Bernard teaches you combat since that gives you the perfect block perk.

Basically everything they tell you about combat in the tutorials are lies: feinting doesn't do anything, directional attacks don't do anything but determine which piece of armor you hit, whether an enemy blocks or counters your attack is entirely determined by basically Morrowind-style dice rolls based on your stats. Because of this, perfect blocking is important because its the only thing that gives you an edge against enemies stronger than you.

this isn't accurate. you can feint with one of the feint attacks and also "feint" by faking the AI out. stats effect combat like they do in mount and blade more than like morrowind.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

3 level medium alien spaceship, still don't even have laser weapons, 100% of the aliens captured, zero soldiers lost. A medic, navigator, engineer, and leader among the living captures. HUGE mission, god it feels great to be one of the greatest gamers to ever live.

3 hours just disappeared as well, easy to forget how lost in time you can get in this game despite how tense and anxious it often gets. Very Large landed pretty close just as I was saving to sign off for the evening, so I've got that alien base to nip in the bud as soon as I boot it up again, doubtless resulting in my rear end getting kicked

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

gently caress yeah. what section was your favorite

honestly the Haruka section was completely unexpected by me and I had a blast

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

this isn't accurate. you can feint with one of the feint attacks and also "feint" by faking the AI out. stats effect combat like they do in mount and blade more than like morrowind.

you can aim in one direction to get the AI to switch their block and then attack in another direction, that's true. What I'm telling you is what direction you attack in versus where the AI doesn't actually affect their chances of blocking like the game tells you it does, so doing this doesn't matter. It really is just hidden dice rolls, and you'll get blocked and countered far less as the game goes on just because Henry's stats are higher.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Augus posted:

nothing in Sifu approaches the joy of juggling three dudes at once using dragon punches in God Hand

also you can't kick a gorilla into outer space in Sifu.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

adam sessler finally deleted his account

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Agnostalgia posted:

you can aim in one direction to get the AI to switch their block and then attack in another direction, that's true. What I'm telling you is what direction you attack in versus where the AI doesn't actually affect their chances of blocking like the game tells you it does, so doing this doesn't matter. It really is just hidden dice rolls, and you'll get blocked and countered far less as the game goes on just because Henry's stats are higher.

it isn't just hidden dice rolls. there are some primarily stat vs stat things (clinches, some of the automatic "dodge"/taking hits on armor) but usually stats are changing timing windows/swing speeds. saying it's a "dice roll like morrowind" is wrong and makes it sound like you havent actually hosed around with it much

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

it isn't just hidden dice rolls. there are some primarily stat vs stat things (clinches, some of the automatic "dodge"/taking hits on armor) but usually stats are changing timing windows/swing speeds. saying it's a "dice roll like morrowind" is wrong and makes it sound like you havent actually hosed around with it much

You're playing with an endgame character and being tricked into thinking you've gotten better at the game. Console command your stats down to where they start and those lategame enemies will counter the majority of your attacks. The counter animation begins and takes control from you the instant you press the attack button, "timing windows/swing speed" don't enter into it at all. A lot of the game's combat is smoke and mirrors to make it seem more complicated than it really is, I kind of hope they throw it all out and make a new system for the sequel.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
somebody created a sick rear end recording camera plugin for my rally game lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN0hqZOUnpc&t=564s

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Needs a camera mode where you just sit at one curve for the entire race, to recreate the experience of watching rally races in real life.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Agnostalgia posted:

You're playing with an endgame character and being tricked into thinking you've gotten better at the game. Console command your stats down to where they start and those lategame enemies will counter the majority of your attacks. The counter animation begins and takes control from you the instant you press the attack button, "timing windows/swing speed" don't enter into it at all. A lot of the game's combat is smoke and mirrors to make it seem more complicated than it really is, I kind of hope they throw it all out and make a new system for the sequel.

I did this when I played (also thought the combat system was bullshit). I don't think you did. By counter do you mean master strike? If so, master strikes do get pretty annoying as a system. You can still avoid them and it's never as simple as you rolling your warfare vs. enemy warfare, but the're not a good mechanic and it's a lot more fun to mod them out (or use the mod that does make them directional only).

There are plenty of smoke and mirrors but they're generally behavior choice smoke and mirrors. The block chance stuff in rpg_param made a lot of people think "oh they just have a chance to block" when it's just what the AI behavior choice is. Master strikes are different because when they can be landed they will land so combat against any of the enemies with high chance of choosing to try a master strike necessitates not letting them do it, which basically means you don't attack first or try combos. Or if you do attack, you do it from a range they can't master strike and you try to get them to do something which you can punish without risking a master strike.

AI choosing to do a behavior is a smoke and mirror dice roll, but it's not at all like how Morrowind works. Master strikes do poo poo up the combat later on though. I would recommend modding them out or using the improved combat mod which makes them a directional fuckup punish.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

I did this when I played (also thought the combat system was bullshit). I don't think you did. By counter do you mean master strike? If so, master strikes do get pretty annoying as a system. You can still avoid them and it's never as simple as you rolling your warfare vs. enemy warfare, but the're not a good mechanic and it's a lot more fun to mod them out (or use the mod that does make them directional only).

There are plenty of smoke and mirrors but they're generally behavior choice smoke and mirrors. The block chance stuff in rpg_param made a lot of people think "oh they just have a chance to block" when it's just what the AI behavior choice is. Master strikes are different because when they can be landed they will land so combat against any of the enemies with high chance of choosing to try a master strike necessitates not letting them do it, which basically means you don't attack first or try combos. Or if you do attack, you do it from a range they can't master strike and you try to get them to do something which you can punish without risking a master strike.

AI choosing to do a behavior is a smoke and mirror dice roll, but it's not at all like how Morrowind works. Master strikes do poo poo up the combat later on though. I would recommend modding them out or using the improved combat mod which makes them a directional fuckup punish.

lol omg you modded the entire combat system to work differently then told me I was wrong about how it works

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
ignore all my advice, just download that guys mod list so you don't have to play KCD's melee combat

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Agnostalgia posted:

lol omg you modded the entire combat system to work differently then told me I was wrong about how it works

I'm telling you you're wrong about vanilla combat and also suggesting trying mods dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I'll probably just wait for the sequel at this point