Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

It’s a bit different when you’re letting in 7 goals in a game 1 and you’re yelling at Mikko Rantanen

This clip is not from the current series, the Avs are not playing the Oilers at the moment, they are playing the Jets. This is a clip form March 16th from when the Avs beat the Oilers 3-2 in overtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

This is incredible given how flat the Leafs looked all game.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Leafs may be down 3-1, but that’s okay. Marchand said they were built different. Rather than 7 games, they’ll be out in 5. A lot of companies would love that sort of streamlined performance.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Keefe gives a bad name to good haircuts

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Holy poo poo Thompson made a lot of great saves last night, then lets that stinker in

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
At what point does whoever the hell is in charge of the Leafs at Rogers start to question if Brendan Shanahan is part of the problem

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

when they become unprofitable

Kale
May 14, 2010

Saw the recap of last nights Leafs game finally since I spent most of it watching Evo Japan footage instead and holy hell did Boston open up their defense like a can of tuna. Not a great matchup, but then it would be the exact same with the Panthers anyway so they're just not a good playoff team at all and got really lucky they could take advantage of an oddly bad Vasilevskiy to just barely squeak by in 7 games. Had he been on his usual game I don't even think they'd have won a series finally even last year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Found a tweet that from the outside seems to sum up the Leafs fan experience

https://twitter.com/adam_la2karis/status/1784414690577109172

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Woke up this morning still chucklinf about the shitshow that is the Toronto Maple Leafs gently caress them they suck rear end

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

stab posted:

Woke up this morning still chucklinf about the shitshow that is the Toronto Maple Leafs gently caress them they suck rear end

:hai:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The thread title and OP gets better every drat day.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lion's Teeth.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Maple Leafs Hotstove is melting down about it too, some highlights

MLHS posted:

Throughout the season and playoffs, we generally write post-games in a “Game in 10” format, breaking down the game into 10 digestible points that highlight goals, matchups, systems, and more.

After Game 4, I don’t believe that format is a proper way to discuss what happened. This game was unacceptable, and the overall outcome should have ramifications across the organizations unless the Leafs manage to come back and win this series.

Sheldon Keefe: “Nothing is wrong with our effort level tonight.” Watching the Bruins win a shorthanded faceoff and Brad Marchand skate the puck from his own hashmark all the way down the ice and across the Leafs’ blue line completely untouched while the Leafs have the extra player on the ice is an issue that falls in the effort category. There is no skill involved in working hard to get the puck back. You either do it or you don’t, and the Leafs aren’t.

Ultimately, this was a listless game. The Leafs are kidding themselves if they believe anything else. A lot of reality checks and self-reflection are in order. To put up just 25 shots at home in a series they trail 2-1 is not even close to good enough. Jeremy Swayman was essentially untested through two periods. The Bruins are a good defensive team, and they make it tough on the opposition. They deserve real credit for it, and nobody is expecting this to be easy. But this is not the 2001 New Jersey Devils. This was — far and away — the Leafs’ worst game of the series.

Fans rightfully booed at the end. And make no mistake, they were booing the effort. If there is one thing the Toronto market by and large understands, it’s effort. There is a reason players like Darcy Tucker are celebrated in this market: they laid it on the line, and fans appreciate that. I watched it again on TV the next morning — and the game was bad from that perspective as well — but you can really feel a lackluster effort when you are in the arena watching live.

When teams face adversity in the form of losing their best players, they need to simplify and sacrifice. Instead, it looks like the Leafs are playing same old playing style without the same old Matthews and Nylander to carry it. The strategy so far — be it power play or 5v5 — appears to be praying to God that they get healthy and return to form. It wasn’t even close to good enough from every single person involved.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The way he just kind of trails off dejected, rambling names at the end is really where most Leaf fans I know are at right now.

The fanbase is psychologically broken and don't expect good things anymore.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'd bet that most Leaf fans I know would rather forfeit the series at this point than play game 5.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
it’s so funny that the Leafs fanbase is expects any sort of success, when they haven’t made the Finals, let alone win it all, since the league having more than 6 teams.

embrace being hockey’s Cleveland Browns instead, it might be easier to enjoy the wins y’all do get

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://x.com/ryanwhitney6/status/1784616054116823156?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Real classy, bro

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nybble posted:

it’s so funny that the Leafs fanbase is expects any sort of success, when they haven’t made the Finals, let alone win it all, since the league having more than 6 teams.

embrace being hockey’s Cleveland Browns instead, it might be easier to enjoy the wins y’all do get

It’s the more money = better than syndrome. Like how Tim’s forced itself to be iconic in Canada even tho it’s airplane food and burnt coffee. Maple Leafs have forced themselves thru money about being the greatest team on ice.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Technically Keefe is right: you can't question the effort, because it's abundantly clear there is none.

The Leafs mope around on the ice like ghosts pretty much all of the time in the playoffs. They know they are going to lose. They're numb to it by now and just waiting for the inevitable to get finished so they can go play golf. Shockingly, Ryan Reaves did not change this at all, despite his commitment to doing Ryan Reaves things such as hitting dudes and talking real mean to them and serving up goals to the opposition on a plate.

That Keefe is so terrible at tactics and so terrible at motivating his players to give a poo poo, and yet keep his job for years and years... it's unprecedented, at least in my lifetime. I admit to having some reservations about how far a team led by Matthews can go, but that's not even an answerable question until they get a real coach. Seriously, Matthews has been in the league eight (8!) years and the only coaches he has played for are Mike Babcock and Sheldon Keefe. He's midway through his career at least, and has no idea that a coach who knows what he's doing is even a thing.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 28, 2024

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Bertuzzi getting shoved in a locker every game by Marchand like he’s a 2011 Sedin owns, especially after hearing Toronto sports media talk about him all summer like he’s a gritty power forward

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That Leafs game is emblematic of this first round. Really weird lack of desperation from the teams getting smoked, although maybe they're just not good enough

Anyway the likely second round matchups look promising, those should be wars.

Dallas / Vegas has the feel of a 6 or 7 gamer too

It's hard to even place the Leafs in the historical context of cores that choked. Like at least San Jose and Washington until they made their run won rounds and were competitive. Those Pronger Blues teams were the same way, they at least looked like a threat. This is something else entirely, like sure their division has been tough with Tampa, Boston, and now Florida but they look like they don't even believe that they belong with those teams. Very weird depressing aura that you didn't see with the chokers of yore

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 28, 2024

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah and at least Ovechkin and Thornton weren't literally making GBS threads their pants

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Caps are just horribly outclassed and accepted their fate by game 2. The Islanders play with plenty of desperation when they're behind and not being ordered by their coach to turtle. The Leafs are the Leafs.

The other 5 series have been fun and good imo and are far from over

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
With the Leafs, I don't think the future is that dire. Well, it is in the sense that I don't trust the people in charge to make the correct changes. But, it is a team that feels like it could tweaked to make a better team. They are committed to Nylander and Matthews, and those two guys *should* be enough. They should have fired Keefe, and traded Marner last season, so wasting another year for whatever reason is frustrating. Through this entire season, watching Matthews chase 70 was fun, but it all felt like they were slowly approaching another first-round exit.

I think my main complaint is that Rielly is not a number one guy, yet the Leafs continue to get 3/4 types to fill up their d-core, and it doesn't work. Marner isn't worth as much as he was last season, now that he only has one more season, but I think they should really be looking to deal him for some d help. Unsure who is available, or what sort of deal makes sense. The Leafs probably won't be able to sell him for top dollar, but they have to try and get *someone*.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Caps are just horribly outclassed and accepted their fate by game 2. The Islanders play with plenty of desperation when they're behind and not being ordered by their coach to turtle. The Leafs are the Leafs.

The other 5 series have been fun and good imo and are far from over

Colorado/Winnipeg has had two blowouts, Edmonton/LA has had two blowouts, Dallas looked lethargic for two games, and Tampa has had period long stretches where they look like their core is ready to retire. The shot totals for Vancouver Nashville are like something out of the 1920s. The Islanders might as well be from the 1920s. There have been some individual good games in every series outside of Rangers/Caps, but a dreadful first round altogether.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Sure, the Leafs should try to deal Marner. But he's only got a year left and a NMC.

The real question is do you let him walk for nothing? Anyways good luck to the next team President.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Keefe absolutely tries to sugar coat things and take a light touch with his stars, in the past he’s walked back comments and apologized for being even a little bit critical of his top guys in postgames. It really feels like a point of emphasis that he doesn’t get on the team to the media too much.

But I don’t really doubt him when he says he sees guys trying out there, I think a lot of the time when teams are getting neutralized it looks like laziness when there’s strategic failings. I think just about every Leaf on the ice is trying hard to execute what he’s telling them to do, but the plan is bad.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

https://x.com/jotterstan/status/1784640005216108631

Here's the article in question from The Tennesseean. Had to double-check that the website isn't satire and I don't think it is

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's their way of reminding him that's not Pekka Rinne, never gonna be Pekka Rinne, isn't worthy of Pekka Rinne.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
They absolutely need to blow it up. None of the highly paid guys will waive their nmcs to be the sacrificial lamb in a retool, but they might if you start trading everything else that isn't nailed down.

The current group have no way to access the elite D man or goalie upgrade they need, and they just seem to have burned the idea that they're losers into their brains.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I want to see Torts coach Toronto

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

tarbrush posted:

They absolutely need to blow it up. None of the highly paid guys will waive their nmcs to be the sacrificial lamb in a retool, but they might if you start trading everything else that isn't nailed down.

The current group have no way to access the elite D man or goalie upgrade they need, and they just seem to have burned the idea that they're losers into their brains.

I agree with all of this except the first sentence--blowing it up isn't really an option, and as you articulated, neither is a significant retool. Rosterwise this is what the Matthews era Leafs are always going to be, and I think the last chance they had to escape it came and went a year ago, maybe two.

Still--get a real loving coach already and see if he can turn the negative mindset around, at least. They should already be talking to the Penguins about Mike Sullivan, especially since the coach they're about to fire is absolutely the one Dubas will hire as soon as he can. Don't wait for Dubas to get fired, which he probably will next summer. Move now.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 28, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I want to see Torts coach Toronto

Has a coach ever gotten suspended over a post-game press conference?

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
They’re gonna fire Keefe, make Guy Boucher head coach, and trade way too much for Paraykos big broken body.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It'll be Gallant. And it might not be the worst option. As long as no one does any "stupid poo poo at the blue line"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gallant's not going to be the guy to bring them tactically into the 21st century, which they desperately need.

Then again, neither is Craig Berube who is who they probably will hire

e: on the other hand it's not entirely impossible that Jon Cooper miiiiiight become available in the next year or two, so maybe one more bad coach to be a bridge to that could work. Along with dropping some hints within earshot of Cooper's agent that there could, not saying either way, but possibly there could theoretically and in a completely non-tampering way be a whole bank vault crammed full of money with his name penciled onto it, should he possibly theoretically become available.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 28, 2024

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You get at least one good season out of him before it completely implodes. If upper management finally is on the hot seat I could see it make sense.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/friedgehnic/status/1784653973275787355?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Which Canuck decided to piss off a witch before the playoffs started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Probably injured his groin again like he did when he had to start for the Pens in the playoffs a few years ago