Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

People are already bored of the new toy 😔

this is exactly what happened after Hangman won the title. He had that first promo, set up a title defence against Danielson and then had a death match with lance archer and people were talking about how the title run was a bust. And in retrospect it's maybe my favorite world title run so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

laughing at Dave Meltzer pronouncing Patrick Mahomes as "Ma-ho-mez".

I'm dying at this right now lol. Then Bryan immediately pronounces it correctly after Dave's derail.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Swerve’s promo was good

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shard posted:

this is exactly what happened after Hangman won the title. He had that first promo, set up a title defence against Danielson and then had a death match with lance archer and people were talking about how the title run was a bust. And in retrospect it's maybe my favorite world title run so far.

Nothing against the guy, but who's taking Lance Archer as a serious threat for the world title?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Nothing against the guy, but who's taking Lance Archer as a serious threat for the world title?

I don't think every challenger needs to be a serious contender as in us thinking in a meta sense they could win. Archer is def good enough to be a big tough guy who does hardcore poo poo in a match he's already beat jon moxley in though.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hangman’s reign was a wet fart, if we’re allowed to be honest, in the Wrestling Podcast Thread.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it didn't hit anywhere near the peak that his chase did, for sure

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
that would probably also describe omega's iwgp hw title reign

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

a dumb moron posted:

Doesn’t WWE business always cool down from like April to June? Like, for the last 30-40 years it’s been like that?
I don't know about 30-40 years, I know that the Rumble and Wrestlemania have existed for that long, but not in the same "Wrestlemania Season" of recent years.

Summerslam was on par or ahead of the Rumble in buyrates every year until the early 2000s, and still beat it out in 2005-2007. For the past decade+ there's definitely been a post-WM/summer lull, in part because of the hype behind Wrestlemania Season, not to mention the annual post-WM departures. This is a relatively new development because it is relatively recently that Rumble-Mania is built around part-timers like Undertaker, Lesnar, Rock, Reigns, etc. so in the 1980s or 1990s there was less of a drop-off because traditionally Hogan/Savage/Hart/Michaels/Austin/Rock/Cena/Batista/etc. did not just disappear the night after Wrestlemania.

That said, this year is particularly stark because 75% of the people who main evented both nights of Wrestlemania are gone for the foreseeable future. Their top women's champion is gone for the foreseeable future. The draft is drawing low ratings and interest. Five of their next six PLEs are scheduled internationally, and four out of six are going to be airing at off-hours in the US due to timezones. Raw and Smackdown will likely either be on smaller channels for much of the fall. It would be silly to say they're going to go out of business because they absolutely won't, but this is more than "oh there's always a lull after Wrestlemania" this year, it seems like.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Well I mean the draft is not drawing because everyone knows it’s pointless and everyone appears wherever and people have caught on.

They don’t need split rosters anymore. They have competition again. Just end it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shard posted:

I don't think every challenger needs to be a serious contender as in us thinking in a meta sense they could win. Archer is def good enough to be a big tough guy who does hardcore poo poo in a match he's already beat jon moxley in though.

Yeah the match was good but it was not a good World Title Match. I wouldn't be complaining if the midcard guy had a good match in the middle of the card, or even for a lower belt.

Once the match actually started it was great, but it's tough to get invested in the lead up to a title match where one guy is basically 0% to win.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Archer is a threat because he’s big and scary and fast and hits hard. That’s wrestling. Declaring a title run bad because a wrestler went against a scary heel and had a good match is some weird meta watching thing where you’re just setting yourself up to not like something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Archer rules. One of the only dudes in AEW with a clean pin over Mox

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
big fan of the murderhawk. I think he’s cool

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
new ep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS3NEYggw9A

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

no but you see according to my Power Scaling there's no way Lance Archer could beat Hangman Adam Page so therefor there's no reason for a match to ever happen

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

One of the most fun moments I had watching Collision with first time viewers on Saturday was one of them going "so there's no way Claudio beats Swerve, right" only for her to start gasping at every single one of the late kickouts in the match proper. :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah the match was good but it was not a good World Title Match. I wouldn't be complaining if the midcard guy had a good match in the middle of the card, or even for a lower belt.

Once the match actually started it was great, but it's tough to get invested in the lead up to a title match where one guy is basically 0% to win.

It was a very good world title match, people loved it and Archer was the exact level of guy who gets built up to get a world title shot in the middle of a PPV cycle or on a B show PPV depending on how the company operates. WWE does it, New Japan does it, ROH did it during the aughts, every company does it and Lance Archer was way more protected in 2021 going into 2022 than most people in that role. He lost very rarely in 2021 and got the big win over Jon Moxley.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lone Goat posted:

What a sad way to watch wrestling

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The complaint about the Hangman reign wasn't that the matches were bad but that there was this massive storyline and build up to him actually winning the title but then when he won the title, he no longer felt like the main character of the show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hangman's chase was so good I get the following stuff not being on the same level but the Cole and Danielson stuff was good. It's just Punk winning when he did made things feel flat but we know what that happened now

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
A+ story on WOL today involving Paper Mache Day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I ain't listening to WOL

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I ain't listening to WOL

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I loved Hangman's reign. Was about as good as it gets as far as reigns that come off a multi-year title chase.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Only issue with hangers reign is when they had him drop the title to mr glass

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Hangman’s champ matches with Danielson convinced me to start watching wrestling weekly again. I got to see him moonsault on to Takeshita in person. Great babyface title run in my book, but then again I am a bearded white guy over 40 in a black t-shirt. I’m a dumb fuckin’ mark!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Only issue with hangers reign is when they had him drop the title to mr glass

Punk should never have been the world champion

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I actually like Dave's idea that Hangman should of won the first won and Punk should of had to chase/win at all in since it would of made Hangman seem even bigger but lol no way was Punk going to agree to that at the time

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Shard posted:

Punk should never have been the world champion

He was their top draw and biggest star. He's a moron and a liar and a jerk but I completely understand why they made him world champion.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
What a weird build for that match, because you can see the seeds of a heel CM Punk turn. He did a sarcastic "you will shake my hand" promo to Hangman and then in the go-home promo Hangman is unloading on him and he does this "I don't know why you're taking this personally" response and is just quiet like he's the baby face now against mean old Page.

Really odd;if anything, Punk made the build weirder there by just being basically silent
The punk/hangman feud starts at 41:47
https://youtu.be/FsXzy7u-cuo?si=szBxYV68hLOnQCSR

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I saw Punk in his first WWE run and was generally positive on him coming in, but especially the title feud with Page really soured me on him. It felt like watching really lovely improv where one guy keeps putting their partners in confusing spots and killing any momentum before it can start.

johncraig
Jul 26, 2023
I recently watched all of punks aew promos, turns out they're an absolute mess largely.

he has amazing charisma and gets unreal reactions but what he says in his promos is usually poorly delivered nonsense

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

punks promos have the same problem I feel mjf promos have. the delivery is second to none but the content is sometimes too referential

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Punk is a great promo and I think he’s on steroids now because he’s very muscular these days

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I had never seen a Punk match or promo before his return on the debut of Collision and thought he was real bad. He's got a special brain and can put on entertaining matches and obviously got absurd crowd reactions. None of that is worth having him in the locker room, though, and I'm glad he's back where he belongs.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

apophenium posted:

I had never seen a Punk match or promo before his return on the debut of Collision and thought he was real bad. He's got a special brain and can put on entertaining matches and obviously got absurd crowd reactions. None of that is worth having him in the locker room, though, and I'm glad he's back where he belongs.

His bag of tricks only contain "I'm straight edge!" and the "I'm a cancer in the locker room! Nah, I'm just working ya, OR AM I!?" shtick which, after 20 years and 3 different promotions, is running a bit thin.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

punks promos have the same problem I feel mjf promos have. the delivery is second to none but the content is sometimes too referential

The thing about Punk's quip at "dumb internet poo poo" was especially wild since literally his entire character is referencing poo poo people said on the internet.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

His bag of tricks only contain "I'm straight edge!" and the "I'm a cancer in the locker room! Nah, I'm just working ya, OR AM I!?" shtick which, after 20 years and 3 different promotions, is running a bit thin.

wonder what his username is with how into the dirt he worked everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

apophenium posted:

He tried to set up angles with a bunch of different people that didn't wanna work with him so that might've had something to do with it