Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am absolutely fastidious about checking my email for real memos and absolutely ignoring everything junk mail like, not even bothering to delete or file. My inbox flashed on the screen during a training presentation for associates one day and they were floored by my 3700 unread toast on my inbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zedprime posted:

I am absolutely fastidious about checking my email for real memos and absolutely ignoring everything junk mail like, not even bothering to delete or file. My inbox flashed on the screen during a training presentation for associates one day and they were floored by my 3700 unread toast on my inbox.

Reminds me of a coworker who just... leaves all our automated emails unread and leaves them in the main folder of her inbox. I think she hit low 5 digits now after close to a decade of working in this department.
I don't know how she does it. I don't even like Outlook showing me how many junk mail messages I have, because it bothers me when there's more than 2 or 3. (I don't keep up on my personal gmail as well, but that's because I don't have to look at it as much and "read the whole email as a preview on my phone" doesn't count as "read".)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had a boss who tried to teach us all to be like them and delete all emails. They were rather stunned by my inbox of 67,000 emails and also that apparently there is a legal requirement to not delete all records????

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Archive All is your friend in personal life and at work

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just lol if u don't have a byzantine system of folders and rules in Outlook to sort all your incoming email.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, I don’t get people with thousands of unread emails in their inbox either but apparently they have me outnumbered so whatever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Volmarias posted:

I found great success in moving everything that wasn't addressed directly to me or a very specific set of mailing lists out of the inbox and into something I'll check someday.
Slightly amended.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

McGavin posted:

Just lol if u don't have a byzantine system of folders and rules in Outlook to sort all your incoming email.

Byzantine systems wish they were on my level

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic
How many hours of a life will be spent dealing with bullshit emails?

My answer: Zero.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
When you all say you have tens of thousands of unread emails, I assume they are mostly automated "server x ping is critical" "a ticket has been updated" "here's your Microsoft newsletter that you never signed up for"? How many are direct communication from real people in your company?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Squiggle posted:

Oh wow, you check yours?

Well, not since the morning of Jan 20, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ponzicar posted:

When you all say you have tens of thousands of unread emails, I assume they are mostly automated "server x ping is critical" "a ticket has been updated" "here's your Microsoft newsletter that you never signed up for"? How many are direct communication from real people in your company?

And to add to this...why not make rules to move those to a folder, or delete them, or something if you don't need to see/read them?

I am IMPLORING all you unread inbox email assholes to just right click->Mark all as read on your inbox.

My Inbox I HAVE to keep all as read. I don't actually read all of them, I am VERY skilled at scanning quickly after even a couple days of being out what emails are important, opening those, marking the rest as read, then getting back to the ones I opened.

The number of times I've had to say "Oh, I missed that email" and MEANT IT are slim to nill, because if I'm actively at my desk, or come back after being in the bathroom, getting lunch ,etc.. and there's a few unread emails, I notice IMEDIATELY and can look at them. I just say that when it's something I don't want to do/put off.

If you just have an inbox of thousands and thousands of unread emails, no rules to send automated server messages/spam/marketing to other folders, I'm going to guess you say you missed an email and MEAN it, yeah?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Even if I missed an email I would never say "oh I missed that." I am going to imply it was not important and got deprioritized.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Well the notice has been given. I’m out sometime in July.

My boss was surprisingly nonchalant. I gave the nice reasons I’m leaving - looking to move up and also closer to home. He says “well the only position to move up is to is me”

I say “yeah.”

Nevermind they could’ve discussed alternate options when I said this a year ago. or the fact that he barely knows what’s going on in the department day-to-day since he moved to a VP level.

At least it was cordial. I’ve emphasized I have to focus on a specific job for the remainder of my time and can’t take on other jobs. Sounds like that’s acceptable.

As I’ve been telling the PMs and other office folks the reactions have been generally surprised, some of them almost shell shocked looking, which I find a little amusing. I’ll miss these folks, they’re all good people but in a business run like a pressure cooker.

It’s a relief to have this off my shoulders.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

McGavin posted:

I used to do this, but now Outlook's search feature got better, so I have one folder I through everything in and 50 folders that are sitting empty (two-year auto delete).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I use the rules for organizing my work flow, not making it easier to find things.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I am normally very on top of emails, but this morning a common function across multiple screens broke and we started getting tickets on all of them. Think a hundred screens, with multiple users all submitting tickets. By the time I started work at 8:30 there were already a few and that went up to like 60 within an hour. 2 actually important emails got lost in the cascade of poo poo and of course both were problems.

The newest member on our team went on vacation a couple of days into "oops wrong code" and I can only imagine what her inbox looks like after being gone for 2 weeks.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
My inbox is 25,368 unread at the moment.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
In job applications - how do you acknowledge in your cv and cover letter that you haven't been in your current role very long? Do I acknowledge it in any way? Or do I gloss over and hope for the best?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

In job applications - how do you acknowledge in your cv and cover letter that you haven't been in your current role very long? Do I acknowledge it in any way? Or do I gloss over and hope for the best?

According to all the advice I got, the best way and place to do this would be by including something in a cover letter about why you're looking for a new role. You don't need to specifically acknowledge that you haven't been there long, just provide a reasonable business-friendly explanation for why you're already looking for something else.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Two colleagues on my team ambush-meetinged me yesterday to tell me that they couldn't find a facilitator for their two-day workshop in three weeks on a subject that I have absolutely no interest in, and that I should do it, and what was I doing on those days anyway? Oh yeah, and it is at a hotel 30 minutes from my home and the stay overnight was included and what was I really doing those days anyway, seriously? Because, you see, they thought I should be facilitating their meeting since they couldn't find anyone else and obviously I'd have the time and desire to do it because my work is less important (this last part was strongly implied).

I told them I wasn't going to be able to make it because of previous commitments, of course. But :wtc: my dudes, what an obliviously lovely way to act toward your colleague. I am still a bit angry today, but I was livid yesterday.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

McGavin posted:

My boss has the byzantine system and nearly 100gb of saved mails, but no rules. He doesn't know how to use them. He sorts everything manually.

He doesn't understand drafts either, he instead composes mails and sends them to himself.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 3, 2024

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

One of our departments has failed to process parts as they come back from vendors. Weirdly it's been the last two parts on a four part shipment so consistently that, when asked to fix the problem, I stated the operations team needed to *gasp* not gently caress up at such a consistent rate.12 purchase orders where the 3-4 lines weren't processed.

I was specifically hired to fix these issues and was supposed to be off the team months back, so when this came up again I got upset. I've reminded my management I was promised a new role back in January, but I'm still doing this basic poo poo in May partially because our operations teams is so incapable they need someone competent to fix their issues. My boss called me twice today to try and get me to tone down my responses because apparently '..this sounds like a problem you can solve in a single transaction' is "overly confrontational." I don't know, maybe they shouldn't consistently gently caress up to the point I don't believe anything they tell me. Maybe I shouldn't need SIX MONTHS of improperly processed orders behind me when I say I won't create new orders as I don't think they will work them correctly. The words "unfuck yourselves" were on my screen multiple times today. I just want people to acknowledge they didn't do their jobs. Just say you hosed up and you have a plan for fixing it, it's all I'm asking for.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lazyfire posted:

I just want people to acknowledge they didn't do their jobs. Just say you hosed up and you have a plan for fixing it, it's all I'm asking for.

I dunno man, that sounds like work or something, can't you just, like, lower your expectations instead?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Any email that doesn't have my address explicitly in the to: field gets sorted into a "lol this will never be read" folder. It's the only way to stay sane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shoehead posted:

It literally sounds like Charlie Brown's parents talking to you, it sucks rear end. I can manage everything else (and really should get assessed once I sort the rest of our poo poo) but the Auditory Processing poo poo is legitimately a massive issue, especially with background noise like phone static, or tattoo machines or my kid's white noise machine. People take it so personally too, my wife is wound up over it because I can otherwise hear a pin drop but talk to me in a room with a kettle boiling in it and I'll have to like bear down and concentrate like I'm charging a psychic attack to actually know what you've fuckin said to me

I am currently enjoying a job where I have to hold technical conversations in respirators, on construction sites, with Geordies.

I struggle to understand my own mother speaking in a quiet room sometimes, lmao

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Well the notice has been given. I’m out sometime in July.

My boss was surprisingly nonchalant. I gave the nice reasons I’m leaving - looking to move up and also closer to home. He says “well the only position to move up is to is me”

I say “yeah.”

Nevermind they could’ve discussed alternate options when I said this a year ago. or the fact that he barely knows what’s going on in the department day-to-day since he moved to a VP level.

At least it was cordial. I’ve emphasized I have to focus on a specific job for the remainder of my time and can’t take on other jobs. Sounds like that’s acceptable.

As I’ve been telling the PMs and other office folks the reactions have been generally surprised, some of them almost shell shocked looking, which I find a little amusing. I’ll miss these folks, they’re all good people but in a business run like a pressure cooker.

It’s a relief to have this off my shoulders.

Good for you. These days I'd be nervous to give more than a few weeks notice. I've heard too many stories of people who give notice and are told that their resignation is accepted effective immediately. Another version is the employee who voices that they are job searching and is quickly replaced. Yet another version is the dissatisfied employee who raises the topic of a severance agreement with HR and is shown the door, empty handed.

Most companies are probably chill about it, unless they view you as a problem employee

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Thesaurus posted:

I've heard too many stories of people who give notice and are told that their resignation is accepted effective immediately.

Is it safe to assume you live in America? If you did that in the UK, you could pretty much expect an immediate lawsuit, employment lawyers would have an absolute field day with anyone who did that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Is it safe to assume you live in America? If you did that in the UK, you could pretty much expect an immediate lawsuit, employment lawyers would have an absolute field day with anyone who did that.

The Commonwealth equivalent is to send you home immediately but keep paying you for the duration of the notice period.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Garden leave and it rules if your employer is a petty enough bitch to give it to you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Garden leave and it rules if your employer is a petty enough bitch to give it to you

Garden Leave rules when you're my former boss and get told to go on garden leave in your home country you wanted to move back to anyway and collect ~350,000 USD to do absolutely gently caress all but actually tend your garden for 3 months.

Someday, I too hope to be put on garden leave at that level, as his boss was before him.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
IT has configured teams to default to sending reminder emails if someone types at you while you are out of office.
IT has configured outlook to put those emails into the phishing attempts folder automatically.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

VictualSquid posted:

IT has configured teams to default to sending reminder emails if someone types at you while you are out of office.
IT has configured outlook to put those emails into the phishing attempts folder automatically.

Well, at least they're partially fixing their mistake.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

The master looked at the student, eager for knowledge, and told him this koan. "If an email is routed to the junk folder, was it ever sent?" And the student was enlightened

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If your Outlook and exchange server use the commonly recommended settings that poo poo all goes into the Other Inbox which is all your junk mail IT is too cowardly to move into the Junk Mail folder.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The joy of bouncing between leadership freaking out that a suspicious email made it past the filters and leadership freaking out that a clients’ email was quarantined for valid reasons.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Nobody made any decisive change management decisions about fitting engineering part numbers into SAP fields that aren't long enough. Now, surprise surprise, there are increasingly string on cork board solutions of sticking 3 different part numbers on paperwork in an attempt to argue to customers "but you can't reject that, the part number referenced in your contracts and manuals is right there underneath the one that looks a lot like it if it were to be shortened."

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Can't wait to call into this meeting where the subject is "accept parts when they arrive" and the reason is a credit hold because our team didn't accept parts as they arrived causing a vendor to refuse to acknowledge further orders.

When I said I wasn't going to process requests until the current open lines were fixed suddenly a dozen people I've never heard of got involved to bully me into issuing orders but no one committed to issuing the confirmations we needed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crackbone posted:

The joy of bouncing between leadership freaking out that a suspicious email made it past the filters and leadership freaking out that a clients’ email was quarantined for valid reasons.

The duality of spam

Lazyfire posted:

Can't wait to call into this meeting where the subject is "accept parts when they arrive" and the reason is a credit hold because our team didn't accept parts as they arrived causing a vendor to refuse to acknowledge further orders.

When I said I wasn't going to process requests until the current open lines were fixed suddenly a dozen people I've never heard of got involved to bully me into issuing orders but no one committed to issuing the confirmations we needed.

Have you told them "I regret to inform you that this is not actually my problem" yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Crackbone posted:

Schrödinger's email