Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Arist posted:

Anyway, I finally decided to knuckle down and try to learn to read Japanese starting this past Sunday, finished identifying hiragana and started on kanji yesterday

Please feverishly praise/furiously mock me as you see fit

my only advice is to just keep at it. over a long enough period of time, no matter how bad you feel like you're doing at any time, you are actually probably doing good and getting better and just not noticing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I took a couple Japanese classes almost two decades ago. Recently decided to try to scrape some of the rust off and see if I can get to a point of being able to read some non-trivial material, etc. Been using wanikani for the past month or so to try to build up some vocabulary (and kanji), and it seems to be helping (though we'll see how well it works as I delve more and more into new material). The simple daily lessons/reviews are easy to make a habit of at least. Acquiring vocabulary was definitely harder for me than learning grammar back then, so I'm hopeful.

One thing that's changed since the early 2000s is the widespread adoption of unicode/utf-8 sure as hell makes dealing with Japanese text online a lot easier than the Bad Old Days of fighting with EUC-JP / SHIFT-JIS / ISO-2022-JP encodings and so on. And there seem to be a lot more resources online for Japanese learning.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 3, 2024

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Arist posted:

Anyway, I finally decided to knuckle down and try to learn to read Japanese starting this past Sunday, finished identifying hiragana and started on kanji yesterday

がんばってね! The time and effort I put into learning japanese has already paid off multiple times over and I want to heartily encourage anyone to go for it. It's a cool thing to do.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll say wanikani is very much a thing for if the mnemonics work for you. they did not really work for me and the specific gamified set up it had made me feel more miserable and frustrated than anything and i've gotten a lot more help out of just building my own anki deck from any new vocabulary i run into.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/otobokebeaver/status/1786323724527935937

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The Colonel posted:

i'll say wanikani is very much a thing for if the mnemonics work for you. they did not really work for me and the specific gamified set up it had made me feel more miserable and frustrated than anything and i've gotten a lot more help out of just building my own anki deck from any new vocabulary i run into.

I find the mnemonics kind of hit or miss, but it's been mostly helpful so far. The biggest thing for me was that it was zero effort to get going. I think it also probably has more value if you're starting from scratch (or re-learning after a long absence) than if you've already know a bunch of kanji and vocabulary.

I like anki, but getting it all setup well feels like a potential big distraction (at least for me). I do plan on spending some time with it and suspect that long term it may be a better solution due to all the customization possible. I know you can get it configured to require answers to be typed out (a feature I prefer to just self-grading your recall), and so on (having poked at template CSS and the like a bit).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Arist posted:

Did you mean kata bc finished hiragana time to learn kanji is the biggest mood statement ever

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

you should def put some focused time to memorize katakana, I didn't give it so much attention when I studied Japanese and so I'm still rough on it now, whereas hiragana I know almost as well as the alphabet

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
one piece getting big af. Lil bro asked if I wanted him to grab a bunch of OP keychains they're selling at the beer store he works at

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

verbal enema posted:

one piece getting big af. Lil bro asked if I wanted him to grab a bunch of OP keychains they're selling at the beer store he works at

yes. yamato.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

kater posted:

Did you mean kata bc finished hiragana time to learn kanji is the biggest mood statement ever

The recommendation I read was to try to start on kanji as early as possible since they're so omnipresent. I'll start on katakana soon though.

Anyway I used Tofugu for hiragana and the mnemonics were pretty helpful there but I'm still on the radicals-only part of Wanikani and haven't really needed them yet.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Arist posted:

The recommendation I read was to try to start on kanji as early as possible since they're so omnipresent. I'll start on katakana soon though.

Anyway I used Tofugu for hiragana and the mnemonics were pretty helpful there but I'm still on the radicals-only part of Wanikani and haven't really needed them yet.

you definitely want to be 100% on katakana or you will never be able to read the onyomi readings of kanji. It will absolutely cripple your learning.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arist posted:

like others have said, i would 100% focus on learning hiragana and katakana first before even worrying about kanji.

In my case, I basically brute force learned them by tracing both hiragana and katakana charts from wikipedia, and did a bunch of exercises every day, starting first with a flash card style approach of being able to recall each kana as i see it, and then doing writing exercises where i'm able to be given a syllable and write the correct kana for it, and then started mixing and mashing them to make word salads that i would have to recall from memory on how to write and say aloud. The more active things you do while studying them, the more strongly you'll solidify those neural connections and the easier it'll be going forward, especially since a bunch of kana look very similar to each other and you can get tripped up if you misconstrue them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Learning hiragana by itself for a week or two is fine, but yeah you definitely want to get hiragana/katakana going at the same time pretty quick. It works better than you'd think--I think there's only two characters I struggle with in katakana.

Kanji is tough, and I'm still just complete garbage at it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

my brain isn't good so I cannot learn Japanese unfortunaitely

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Practice, practice, practice. That's really the trick to it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

cheers, i'll get on that tomorrow then

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wanikani is fairly good about this imo but make sure when you "learn kanji" you aren't just sitting down with a deck of kanji to grind out like with kana. kanji recognition is important but, what you actually want to learn is vocabulary and your kanji knowledge can flow backwards from there

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Shinjobi posted:

Practice, practice, practice. That's really the trick to it.

for all things

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
good brain is not at all a prerequisite, just patience and gumption.

I should note that while I did use some tools to help me get started, by and large what truly worked for me was just brute force reading manga with a dictionary on hand & turning to google when there was a grammar thing I wasn't familiar with. As certain words kept popping up repeatedly, I'd learn them naturally and gradually have to look up less. The good thing about this approach is that you also get to piece together & enjoy a story as you go, which is more fun and rewarding than just abstractly working down flashcards.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i took a serious crack at learning japanese last year. got to the point where i knew several hundred vocab words and could pick out some basic sentences in anime

i hit a point where i felt like i was going to have to spend a couple hours a day for a couple of years grinding on this to get real results and that was going to come at the expense of other hobbies i find more creatively or personally fulfilling, like music or weightlifting. i wasn't enjoying it enough to make that tradeoff.

i got caught up in all the srs websites - wanikani, bunpro, etc - and they're extremely good at gameifying stuff but i do think there's something to be said for the approach of just establishing a baseline then going ham on trying to read poo poo and putting vocab and grammar you're unfamiliar with in an anki deck.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Remembering the time I saw someone get mad at the pokemon spoiler of what level a certain starter evolves at

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Saagonsa posted:

Remembering the time I saw someone get mad at the pokemon spoiler of what level a certain starter evolves at

lol

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People who post in anime threads despite having read the manga and pretend not to know what's going to happen and posting 'guesses' or 'theories' are the biggest failtards of all.

Absolutely this, however.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Saagonsa posted:

lol

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Actually *using* the language (reading, listening, communicating) does seem pretty important (both to make the learning more meaningful but also to better help retain the knowledge).

I'm leaning on the SRS flashcard-y stuff to help get my baseline vocabulary to a point where I don't need to look up *every* word when trying to read something, but definitely want to do more than reviewing flashcards before too long.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Tell me you don’t know the joy of being surprised at your dude evolving. Tell me that is worth nothing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

pokemon are serious business rear end in a top hat

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

if you care enough about pokemon to care about being spoiled by that you should assume it's 16 and be right most of the time

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 3, 2024

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quinton posted:

Actually *using* the language (reading, listening, communicating) does seem pretty important (both to make the learning more meaningful but also to better help retain the knowledge).

I'm leaning on the SRS flashcard-y stuff to help get my baseline vocabulary to a point where I don't need to look up *every* word when trying to read something, but definitely want to do more than reviewing flashcards before too long.
just do it then, as long as you reasonably understand the grammar, and know how to look stuff up in a dictionary, you can read whatever you want, look up a word when you don't recognize it, and then throw that in your encounter deck in anki or whatever

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Saagonsa posted:

lmfao

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saagonsa posted:

Spoiler: the cute thing becomes a muscle cat again

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Two legs means power

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Meowywitch posted:

my brain isn't good so I cannot learn Japanese unfortunaitely

this is not how it works

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

four legs good, two legs bad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if my dysfunctional rear end can learn to read a fantasy historical stage drama lesbian romance vn in japanese then your brain absolutely can

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

just do it then, as long as you reasonably understand the grammar, and know how to look stuff up in a dictionary, you can read whatever you want, look up a word when you don't recognize it, and then throw that in your encounter deck in anki or whatever

and yeah this. just do this. this is what i do. start doing this and as time goes on you will have less situations where you have to stop and do this because you will have already looked up, written down and memorized the words that might have confused you

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The Colonel posted:

this is not how it works

I can barely comprehend English

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i personally think its, way easier to learn japanese that way than most languages, because the grammar is so regular, and the kanji/kana split immediately draws your eyes to the vocabulary. okurigana is fairly loving win. can't understand the people that say they'd prefer japanese without the kanji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Learning English requires you to go through tough thorough thought, though

You can learn Japanese