Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The thing is that the Federation's Prime Directive specifically states that if you find a pre-warp species that unfortunately are about to become extinct due to a natural disaster or something, they are just supposed to let the species die out lest they become 'contaminated' by having come in contact with a hyper-advanced civilization because that's just the natural order of things (see the TNG episode where Data started communicating with an alien girl on a pre-warp planet that was about to get eaten by it's own volcanos and Picard said "Welp, sucks to be them. We could save the planet but that's against the rules"). The UFP is inherently a smug ethno-state that claim they are morally superior for letting people die for reasons of 'purity'.

Also Disco had an episode with 2 supposedly super clever bad guys on board the loving ISS Enterprise and they did NOTHING with the Tantalus Field? Bah.

There's this weird subtext in some TNG-era scripts where 'evolution' and 'fate' are conceptually linked. In this sense, saving a civilization from being wiped out is interfering with its destiny and thus verboten. The stars have written their fate, who are we to intervene?

then there's the SNW episode where a civilization had adapted itself to life after an asteroid hit and they just decided to remove the asteroid after the fact. which seems like a huge prime directive violation in any sense. i guess its the 'kirk exception' where you're allowed to judo-chop a computer if you think it violated the prime directive first.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is Hugh going to turn out to be a progenitor? I think they're going to do something like that

Got excited for a minute thinking that discovery resurrected Hugh after he was unceremoniously disposed of in Picard S1, but then I remembered it's just Dr. Culber's first name :negative:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't know, I was just extremely bored by this episode

It didn't help that almost everything on the planet was brown or grey

and yes I also had the thought that the Denobulans were the ones who originally violated the Prime Directive, so at this point the Disco crew was just having to do their cleanup.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There's this weird subtext in some TNG-era scripts where 'evolution' and 'fate' are conceptually linked. In this sense, saving a civilization from being wiped out is interfering with its destiny and thus verboten. The stars have written their fate, who are we to intervene?

then there's the SNW episode where a civilization had adapted itself to life after an asteroid hit and they just decided to remove the asteroid after the fact. which seems like a huge prime directive violation in any sense. i guess its the 'kirk exception' where you're allowed to judo-chop a computer if you think it violated the prime directive first.
The titular novel's version where you can avert natural disasters as long as you do it on the down-low was always what made the most sense to me. It does mean that such efforts would be much harder and less feasible as a civilization progressed, of course.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the Denobulans put those towers up before they were even federation members so they weren't really violating anything.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

I think the Denobulans put those towers up before they were even federation members so they weren't really violating anything.

No that doesn’t make sense—the Denobulan scientist who designed them was part of the team that investigated the Progenitor tech in the 2370s.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Apollodorus posted:

No that doesn’t make sense—the Denobulan scientist who designed them was part of the team that investigated the Progenitor tech in the 2370s.

I didn't think he designed those towers, he was just aware of them and knew them as a reason people need to be careful with technology and consequences.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The thing is that the Federation's Prime Directive specifically states that if you find a pre-warp species that unfortunately are about to become extinct due to a natural disaster or something, they are just supposed to let the species die out lest they become 'contaminated' by having come in contact with a hyper-advanced civilization because that's just the natural order of things (see the TNG episode where Data started communicating with an alien girl on a pre-warp planet that was about to get eaten by it's own volcanos and Picard said "Welp, sucks to be them. We could save the planet but that's against the rules"). The UFP is inherently a smug ethno-state that claim they are morally superior for letting people die for reasons of 'purity'.

Burnham comes from the 23rd century where they're willing to burn out a starship's warp drive to try and save a pre-warp civilization about to be annihilated by a giant asteroid, and also willing to provide advanced-by-local-standards arms to locals in proportion to the arms provided to the locals' competitors by the Klingons, so it's still consistent with ~~*~canon~*~~ even if the TNG writers had a completely ridiculous take on the Prime Directive.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
There's something potentially interesting about them going in on the conflict of the 23rd century attitude towards the prime directive vs. the 32nd century attitude, but the only two 32nd century characters in the main cast are Rayner and Adira and I feel like Rayner would be fine with saving Tilly and the local to further the mission and Adira would be too cowed by Burnham to disagree

They'd need to rope the Admiral or the president in somehow and at that point it's a different story altogether

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Burnham comes from the 23rd century where they're willing to burn out a starship's warp drive to try and save a pre-warp civilization about to be annihilated by a giant asteroid, and also willing to provide advanced-by-local-standards arms to locals in proportion to the arms provided to the locals' competitors by the Klingons, so it's still consistent with ~~*~canon~*~~ even if the TNG writers had a completely ridiculous take on the Prime Directive.

Oh for sure! Also this episode proves that if the Denoblian scientist followed the prime directive then this planet would be a lifeless husk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the TNG era went too far with the prime directive. "These guys haven't achieved warp drive, let them die." Even if it's a somewhat advanced species that is actively calling out into the void for help, ignore them. They need a better metric for determining if a race is capable of dealing with meeting aliens.

Creating a warp drive is definitely a useful metric for stopping in to say hello to determine what is up to make sure those people don't start loving up the local neighborhood and oppressing neighboring worlds with life on them. But there's still room for "Hey, we noticed your planet is hosed in a way that you can't do anything about, but we can help. We can't give you access to our technology, but we can help you in this one case. Then, when you're ready to step into the galaxy, we'll be around to guide you."

But just making a warp drive doesn't mean anything. Look at Earth, it's a post apocalyptic wasteland and Zefram Cochrane is just loving around in a missile silo and builds a rudimentary warp drive. The planet overall is not ready for what comes next.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

I think the TNG era went too far with the prime directive. "These guys haven't achieved warp drive, let them die." Even if it's a somewhat advanced species that is actively calling out into the void for help, ignore them. They need a better metric for determining if a race is capable of dealing with meeting aliens.

Creating a warp drive is definitely a useful metric for stopping in to say hello to determine what is up to make sure those people don't start loving up the local neighborhood and oppressing neighboring worlds with life on them. But there's still room for "Hey, we noticed your planet is hosed in a way that you can't do anything about, but we can help. We can't give you access to our technology, but we can help you in this one case. Then, when you're ready to step into the galaxy, we'll be around to guide you."

But just making a warp drive doesn't mean anything. Look at Earth, it's a post apocalyptic wasteland and Zefram Cochrane is just loving around in a missile silo and builds a rudimentary warp drive. The planet overall is not ready for what comes next.

As the great Jack O'Neill said (paraphrased) it doesn't really matter if we're ready for space, we are out there now and there's no turning back.

The Orville's criteria for first contact differed from the federation as well, theirs was of a planet had developed interstellar communications. If they couldn't fly out of their solar system that didn't really matter. If they can call out or send a message out, the Union sent someone for first contact to make sure they got there before a hostile party.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It's funny because TNG had both bad Prime Directive episodes (Pen Pals) and good ones (Who Watches the Watchers). I'm glad they kind of calmed down on some of the PD stuff later on at least.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

The Orville's criteria for first contact differed from the federation as well, theirs was of a planet had developed interstellar communications. If they couldn't fly out of their solar system that didn't really matter. If they can call out or send a message out, the Union sent someone for first contact to make sure they got there before a hostile party.

And this would make sense for the Federation too when planets might just be conquered by the Klingons or whatever

Maybe it's easier to be hands off with worlds deep inside federation territory, but less so on the edges

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Is Hugh going to turn out to be a progenitor? I think they're going to do something like that

I wonder if they'll remember that Hugh is using a mushroom clone body.

And if my theory that the Progenitors used the Mycelial network for their panspermia project, it would intersect with Stamets storyline

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Pansporia

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Apollodorus posted:

To be fair, I don’t know that it’s ever been established that the Denobulans are part of the Federation, or that this particular Denobulan was a Starfleet officer at the time the weather modification towers were built (or even if they were a Starfleet officer when investigating the tech).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Right. I think it's likely the Denoblians think it's a bit silly is all. It's another one of those human hangups we have because we used to keep genociding ourselves. Species who don't have that as a big shameful part of their history aren't as worried about accidentally doing a cultural genocide.

Even among humans (who presumably learned about gangster planet and nazi planet in school) it's a topic of debate when actually faced with pre-warp worlds in peril. Other species may look at the various ways humans have hosed things up and embrace the value "we should avoid interfering with pre-warp civilizations, and be very careful about cultural contamination if it is necessary to do so" but not the value "never interfere with pre-warp civilisations in any way." It's regrettable that some of the people started doing voluntary sacrifice. But arguably they are still better off than if all their ancestors had died choking on dust centuries ago.

Meanwhile, presumably Admiral Hella Jeff is over there going "We warned you about cultural contamination bro! We told you!"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I don't know how many pre-warp societies exist within the borders of Federation Space but imo they should have hidden monitoring stations in each system at the very least.

Also research teams undercover.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i assume the federation has a bunch of treaties like "okay Klingons if you agree not to conquer pre-warp worlds we won't send the plucky lieutenants with a deflector dish your way. you'll also get a lifetime holodeck subscription to Blood Warrior IV: Stars of Blood. its really good we promise"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

xerxus posted:

I wonder if they'll remember that Hugh is using a mushroom clone body.

And if my theory that the Progenitors used the Mycelial network for their panspermia project, it would intersect with Stamets storyline

God I would love it if the progenitors' godlike tech turned out to be just a big mycelial network teleporter they dumped a vat of their DNA into and set the destination coordinates to "Yes."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerusalem posted:

God I would love it if the progenitors' godlike tech turned out to be just a big mycelial network teleporter they dumped a vat of their DNA into and set the destination coordinates to "Yes."

That would call into question their claims that they were the first and only life in the galaxy. No life here! Except this giant mycelial network.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unless they spread the network as the means of panspermia.

E: in any case, in The Chase they said that life was 'in its infancy' on other worlds they seeded, so it could work either way. Their claim was that life occurred on their planet much earlier, so they evolved to intelligence before anyone else could.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 4, 2024

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Facebook Aunt posted:

That would call into question their claims that they were the first and only life in the galaxy. No life here! Except this giant mycelial network.

I mean, first intelligent life

And it may be fair to say that mushroom space, like fluidic space, isn't really "in" the galaxy

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I liked the part where the universal translator was classy enough to give the translated whistles a nice rhyme scheme

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Teleporting being the cause of every problem, McCoy was right :hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Falcorum posted:

Teleporting being the cause of every problem, McCoy was right :hmmyes:

Progenitor #1: Okay, before I hit the button, any final last second changes we want to make?
Progenitor #2: I want all the lifeforms that develop with green blood to be based on my DNA.
Progenitor #1: Fine, Abitch, but we're gonna make them all nerds :mad:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
As a lot of the worst primary directive stuffs from TNG, is it just possible that the prime directives fine and Picard was just a real jerk.

CPColin posted:

I liked the part where the universal translator was classy enough to give the translated whistles a nice rhyme scheme

The universal translator takes pride in it's work :hai:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

dr_rat posted:

As a lot of the worst primary directive stuffs from TNG, is it just possible that the prime directives fine and Picard was just a real jerk.

The universal translator takes pride in it's work :hai:

A little nanite pokes out of a guy's ear. "It's a living."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

dr_rat posted:

I don't think it's that Picard is a jerk. He seems to violate the prime directive when he thinks it is necessary to do so to prevent himself from having to sit idly by while a bunch of people die needlessly. I'd say the problem comes from stuffy admirals with sticks up their butts who view any violation of the prime directive to be the ultimate crime. In the TNG era at least, it is official star fleet policy that you can't interfere or interact with a pre-warp civilization for any reason.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

The only faith I have is in Kirk, the god-slayer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The real issue with the TNG era Prime Directive is that people constantly violate it for good reasons and yet no-one ever considers maybe modifying the order back at command or the government. It exists to provide a dilemma and isn't considered further than that point. Which also means the Federation ends up with a law captains violate constantly (again, generally with very good reason, allowing everyone to die to nuclear volcanoes or whatever wouldn't be good) but never considers adding a nuclear volcano provision to it, so it's both ineffective as law and mostly stupid in its implementation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Night10194 posted:

The real issue with the TNG era Prime Directive is that people constantly violate it for good reasons and yet no-one ever considers maybe modifying the order back at command or the government. It exists to provide a dilemma and isn't considered further than that point. Which also means the Federation ends up with a law captains violate constantly (again, generally with very good reason, allowing everyone to die to nuclear volcanoes or whatever wouldn't be good) but never considers adding a nuclear volcano provision to it, so it's both ineffective as law and mostly stupid in its implementation.

It could be left in as a fail safe. Before you violate the Prime Directive you consider that if it is considered a bad or frivolous violation by the chuckleheads back home your career is over. If it's super bad you could be up on charges. But if the review board thinks it was a reasonable they just sigh and agree you did the best you could with a bad situation. We've never seen that review board, but we can assume it exists.

If they carve out a bunch of exemptions to the rule that could make it less arbitrary, but it could also lead to a bunch of weaselly guys weaselling out of things -- "I did a nazi planet to save them!"

If you violate the temporal prime directive you might get these guys showing up to take a statement and frown at you;

Or you might get this guy showing up to arrest you or delete you from the timeline;

So you give it a good hard think before you break it. Non-temporal crimes probably have a similar system. But without being erased.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Don’t do the time crime if you can’t do the time crime time. :colbert:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Apollodorus posted:

Don’t do the time crime if you can’t do the time crime time. :colbert:

You can do time crimes when you have a Krenim time laser in your back pocket

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
TOS is the Wild West of the Prime Directive, move fast break things make it up as you go who gives a poo poo we’re in uncharted territory stuff. Eventually by TNG the Federation is bureaucratized and becomes an organization helmed by stuff middle managers who haven’t left their desks in decades and can’t fathom doing anything but what the letter of the law says regardless of consequence. Then DS9 gives those guys an excuse to go full fascist, leading to the openly uncaring and cruel militarism seen in Picard. United Federation of Planets: The American Dream!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was only time travelling to stop myself from doing a time crime!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Season 5 has finally crossed the usual threshold where previous seasons went right into the dirt so... it's nice they can at least finish mildly okay.

Now they just need to figure out how to send cronenberg in the past so he can be in later seasons of SNW.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If this had been season 1 way back when, it would've been a great start to nuTrek. Don't even need to go all in to the Burn yet. Time travel episode wouldn't make sense but honestly imagining if they did that season 1 with no context, would be pretty cool, montage of poo poo we never see happen because it doesn't.

How much Trek do we have left that was at least already shot? Whether Sony or Skydance owns Trek next, they're going to have spent a lot of money to get it and will be wanting to make some back ASAP. NuTrek has been uneven but I've never seen a big IP handover go down for the better.

There is however a lot of untapped Trek talent, and too many tapped out ones who keep getting the job, so maybe the new owners will shake things up and somehow keep it Trekky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We’ve got like 4 episodes of Disco and one season of LD. The S31 movie is probably also about finished.

SNW may be finished filming now? I’m not sure. They are supposed to film Starfleet Academy this summer.