Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Senshi, would you rather she get sick and die from eating onions?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

haypliss posted:

Senshi, would you rather she get sick and die from eating onions?!

She didn't have to put it on his burger though. And on top of the bun, no less

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Cats are lactose intolerant so that cheese risotto might not have been a good idea either.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hihohe posted:

now that we got the cat girl we can post the cat girl comics

senshi is a good dad

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Oh that's why Kuro was barking at her back then

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Kitty cat.

Several tens of pages ago and many months of real time this thread briefly talked about always sunny and I've been waiting for this stupid cat to show up so I can post this picture i found that was relevant way back then.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Reflecting on the hag monster, and I think its supposed to be an almost literal paper tiger. Laios is initially confused when he slices through it like there's nothing there, then notices a shred of paper was cut off from the hag. As soon as it steps onto the fire circle, its quickly engulfed in flames. Maizuru seemed to use paper talismans as part of her magic, and I assume that is somehow employed in the curse. Plus at no point during the fight does it seem like the show wants us to believe the party are in any kind of mortal peril.

For whatever reason Maizuru put the curse on Izutsumi (she doesn't seem to like/trust Izutsumi from their interactions a couple episodes ago), I don't think the curse was supposed to physically harm her.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If it activates while you're asleep or on the toilet that'd be a pickle though.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Lazy Fair posted:

Reflecting on the hag monster, and I think its supposed to be an almost literal paper tiger. Laios is initially confused when he slices through it like there's nothing there, then notices a shred of paper was cut off from the hag. As soon as it steps onto the fire circle, its quickly engulfed in flames. Maizuru seemed to use paper talismans as part of her magic, and I assume that is somehow employed in the curse. Plus at no point during the fight does it seem like the show wants us to believe the party are in any kind of mortal peril.

For whatever reason Maizuru put the curse on Izutsumi (she doesn't seem to like/trust Izutsumi from their interactions a couple episodes ago), I don't think the curse was supposed to physically harm her.

i dunno man that knife didnt just bounce off of senshi's wok shield

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Yeah, I think the hag was an easy kill for a full party, but we should think it would totally have stabbed Izutsumi through the head if not for Senshi's intervention.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Like so many other things, the Hag is covered in one of the supplementary comics.

Supplemental material spoilers:
It's a babysitting spell Maizuru first developed and used on her liege lord Toshiro to bring him back to her whenever he was absent for too long.

So it is probably not lethal.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Kitty cat.

Several tens of pages ago and many months of real time this thread briefly talked about always sunny and I've been waiting for this stupid cat to show up so I can post this picture i found that was relevant way back then.

Feel like she's more of a Gail. Except you use spray bottles instead of salt

Pureauthor posted:

Like so many other things, the Hag is covered in one of the supplementary comics.

It's a babysitting spell Maizuru first developed and used on her liege lord Toshiro to bring him back to her whenever he was absent for too long.

except for you know

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lazy Fair posted:

Reflecting on the hag monster, and I think its supposed to be an almost literal paper tiger. Laios is initially confused when he slices through it like there's nothing there, then notices a shred of paper was cut off from the hag. As soon as it steps onto the fire circle, its quickly engulfed in flames. Maizuru seemed to use paper talismans as part of her magic, and I assume that is somehow employed in the curse.

It's a shikigami, which is a classical kind of Japanese familiar where the caster places a spirit they control into a paper doll. I would guess that this is the same way that she's previously been summoning those spider-oni things.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 10, 2024

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Pureauthor posted:

Ahhhh So thats where the childhood trauma came from

Also note that Maizuru says she uses a stronger version of this spell for Izutzumi

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 10, 2024

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

I'm with cat that is a dumb looking dog

I think this was one of the rare dub missteps, because in the subs, Chilchuck calls the dog 'scruffy', and in the dub he calls him 'dirty', which might be a literal translation, but has a completely different meaning.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I don't know if it's just me, but Senshi ticked me off this episode. I get him trying to deescalate things by offering a warm meal and opening a line of communication, much like what they did with the orcs in episode 4. But then he foolishly risks Marcille's safety during the hostage situation to start lecturing Izutsumi on food etiquette, which antagonizes Izutsumi so much that she forgot she's supposed to stay still until Marcille finished dispelling the curse around her neck. I kept waiting for Marcille to get on Senshi's case for just doing whatever the hell he wants after muttering about how Izutsumi should have stayed still like she said, but the lack of pushback was weird.

And this isn't like the first time Senshi's endangered the party because he believes what he does is for the best, either. If I remember right, there are:

- On the first level, shouted at Marcille to not blast the man-eating plant. The distraction is what got Marcille caught by one of the plants.
- While not a member of the party, Senshi did risk the life of that newbie adventurer who got poisoned by the Basilisk because he wanted to use the antidote herbs in cooking. Dude was dying while Senshi took his sweet-rear end time preparing and roasting the basilisk.
- In the trap-filled room, deliberately ignored Chilchuck's instructions on which tiles are safe to step on and almost got Chilchuck killed by the traps.
- In the water level, threw a tantrum over having magic casted on him and decided to use a Kelpie to cross the water instead. Ignored Laios's trepidation over using a monster, then Senshi had to be bailed out by Laios after the Kelpie dragged him underwater.
- Before they fought the Red Dragon, Senshi totally ditched the group while they were mapping out the streets. Actually didn't put them in danger this time, but it's still kind of a dick move to leave what is basically a group-bonding exercise.
- In the graveyard, Chilchuck knew what Dryads were and could have totally backed away unnoticed. Senshi then ruined Chilchuck's attempt because he had to cover the "young lad's" eyes from such lurid acts and shouting apologies was what alerted the Dryads to their presence.

Looking at it from a TTRPG viewpoint, Ryoko Kui does a nice job balancing out Senshi. Sure, he gives a great boon to everyone's health and recovery thanks to his cooking skills, but his idiosyncrasies and so-so teamwork gets the party into trouble every now and then.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

My man also spent the entirety of the Chimera Falin fight holding onto a plate of food so lol

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There's a certain point at which it just becomes easier to go along with someone's stubbornness than to try to change them.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Senshi has been on his own for a long, long time. He cares about the rest of the party, but old habits die hard. When he was on his own, there was never any need to convince or argue with anyone over the right course of action, he could just start doing it immediately. Indeed, being very confident in your own abilities and judgment is an important survival skill!

But it's different with a group, and he's only known these people for like two weeks (as the shapeshifter episode reminded us, his were the least accurate).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean Senshi's been even more about his hyperspecific things I'm surprised no one talks about that more in the "ableist discussion"

I guess since Laois is the himbo Senshi is the daddy so people assume there's some patient wisdom to whatever he's laser focused on

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Clarste posted:

There's a certain point at which it just becomes easier to go along with someone's stubbornness than to try to change them.

Laios?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Someone mentioned this ages ago, but the entirety of the party are all well-written and well-realized, with strengths and flaws. That includes Senshi, but it's just his flaws are not so immediately obvious because the entire premise so heavily relies on his strengths.

With that said, the Kelpie episode makes it obvious his biggest flaw is a degree of stubbornness that comes with being alone for so long. He's slowly learning, as is the rest of the party, but certain habits take a while to break if at all. And with a character so focused on food and cooking and respect for ecological systems, you would expect him to be the most stubborn when it comes to eating etiquette and food waste.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ngl throwing the mushrooms out was some bullshit

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Big fan of Senshi instructing “add in a few cloves of garlic” while showing like seventeen cloves in the pan. Very accurate.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ManSedan posted:

Big fan of Senshi instructing “add in a few cloves of garlic” while showing like seventeen cloves in the pan. Very accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoV7lw7YBG4

We thought it was Marcille but it turns out Senshi was the Italian all along.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Senshi reminds me of Garnet Stevenuniverse in that his flaws are clearly there and the author obviously knows about them, but the narrative isn't really interested in calling them out specifically, in part because nobody else in the story has really parsed them yet.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Hihohe posted:

Laois mentions that nightmares are called Shen and are dragons.
this is kinda a joke about How Shen dragons are supposed to make illusions and nightmares in Chinese myth. but the kanji for shen also looks like the one for "Big Shellfish"

It's plausibly not just an ideographic pun... this is the giant clam, distributed extensively in the South China Sea and Western Pacific:

The shell opens during the day, displaying what can be quite striking colours under the surface of the water. When disturbed it will close, causing the shapes to disappear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpY72fCo6JM

So, you can visualize the imagination of e.g. a pearl hunter or fisherman looking through the water, seeing a serpentine form just up and vanish

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
My mythology nerd brain interprets "the clams are related to dragons" as a magical "we categorize things by how they are symbolically similar, rather than how they are physically distinct" logic of the classical world. That kind of thinking is the reason for chimeric monsters in real world myth. Jesus gently caress, now I have to re-examine Laois' "Most Powerful Servant" to see if its composite creatures have zodiac/astrological significance. What interesting books have you been reading, Ryoko Kui?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoV7lw7YBG4

We thought it was Marcille but it turns out Senshi was the Italian all along.

None of them are Italian

Nobody screamed “no NO NO!” When the dragon meat was put on pizza

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Clarste posted:

Ah, you’ve met my dad

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean Senshi's been even more about his hyperspecific things I'm surprised no one talks about that more in the "ableist discussion"

I guess since Laois is the himbo Senshi is the daddy so people assume there's some patient wisdom to whatever he's laser focused on

Weirdly enough, looking back over the course of the series has convinced me that Chilchuck fits the bill of Team Dad more than Senshi. He's given at least one sermon to everyone in the party when he thinks they've gone too far and they need to behave tone it down. Did the dad thing of griping over Laios' fault of lacking social skills and how he needs to work on that. Had his bullshit detector go off when they met up with Shuro and Kabru's teams and had to decide which of his kids would say something stupid to offend the others. Not to mention that he's been looking out for the others' well-being, like worrying that Marcille and Laios seeing the Red Dragon corpse would seriously upset them again, or preventing Laios and Senshi from feeding Marcille Harpy Egg Omelet when she was emotionally shredded after seeing Chimera Falin (and she did prove him right when she complained about Harpies are still humanoid during the Shapeshifter episode so lol).

Maybe part of it is that Chilchuck's known them longer, but it looks like Senshi's only focus is on keeping the "young ones" fed, which makes me think he's more of a kindly schoolteacher or a weird/cool uncle.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

amigolupus posted:

Had his bullshit detector go off

Not to be reductive, but Detect Traps, Secret Doors, and Bullshit is a Half-Foot Racial Trait.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Also as far as we know so far he's the only actual dad in the squad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't think it can be said enough just how good the party dynamic is.

Really looking forward to how Izutsumi's picky rear end will mix it up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Izutsumi is the wildcard of the party.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Here's a fun fact: A lot of manga have pilot one-shots, and like pilot episodes of shows, it's common for them to be a little different from the final series. Dungeon Meshi's pilot one-shot from 2013 had... Izutsumi (for context the series began serialization at the start of 2014, Izutsumi first showed up in Shuro's party in early 2016, and she joined the main party at the start of 2017)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Asebi was a better name because it was shorter and easier for me to spell.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The slightly off model Laios and Senshi in that one-shot fill me with an existential dread.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It seems like Laios might have hosed up a little bit here Inceptioning the idea into Marcille's head (or at least encouraging an idea she's been toying with for a while) that "The Mad Mage's power can solve all your gnawing existential dread." I saw that spellbook. That did not look like a benevolent spellbook, that looked like the poo poo in it is forbidden for a reason. Marcille's getting tempted to go down the Left-Hand Path :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

what a great show