Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Scored this small adjustable tool tray from a buddy whose father had a lot of cool vintage snap on, s&k, and mac tools as well as a Cornwell tool box. Anyone got any idea who might have produced it? Any markers or stickers are gone. it was red with some black pin striping on the tray part. I am probably going to restore it because it would seem to be handier than bending down at my age and i don't need anything else larger in my garage like the HF cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

StormDrain posted:

I will now be forever looking for used hospital equipment so I can get one of these:

I got this a couple of months ago from a buddy cleaning out his dad's shop:

No markings on who made it but it is fully adjustable as to tray height and has socket rails and hooks for open end wrenches. I put a big HF magnet tray on the back while I work on stuff to keep the tray clear for tools. I kind of feel like a surgeon on MASH as I work with it.

I have since cleaned it up and use it a ton. Very handy to take tools from my big box down the driveway to the cars. I want to say I stumbled upon someone who still makes these and they were less than $150.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Looks nice, I'd be tempted to strip and paint it because I'm a freak. The mayo stands actually are available as cheap as $50 shipped and the tray part is removable.

It cleaned up better than these pics look. I am on vacation, but will take some pics of it when I get back if anyone wants. I am waiting to sandblast and paint when I get a new big box to replace multiple Craftsman boxes. Just need to find the right Craigslist deal.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
I have slatwall, pegboard and french cleats. I got the slatwall from a craft store closure. To be completely honest, I thought I would like it 10X more than pegboard. I'm pretty much meh on it. Nicer than pegboard, but not by much.

Then I discovered the FRENCH CLEAT. loving awesome system if you are the least bit handy and can make your own mounts for various tools. .

I'm almost finished with my shop and will probably do a thread on the various things I have culled from different forums such as garagejournal and a bunch of woodworking forums. But seriously the two best things I have done is pipe my small shop for air and vacuum and learn about the french cleat.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Just pulled the trigger on an Amazon prime day deal on Wera Joker wrenches. 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 mm
for $187. Not what I would call a superb deal, but a little cheaper than the lowest I have seen in a while. I really like the design in theory at least, especially as my sympathetic shakes get worse with age.

Looking to upgrade my home kit and start moving old craftsman, gear wrench, etc. stuff to my vacation home I am spending more time there. Really frustrating when I have the right tool, but its 3 hours away and nearest Home Depot/Lowes from there is 30 minutes.

This weekend I was trying to fix my fridge with some bullshit stocking-stuffer ratcheting nut driver which would not catch to save my life.

Local Clist guy has an two S&K 49 piece sockets, one 1/4 and one 3/8 for $125 and $150 respectively. Used but "like new." If I offered $225 for both would that be a deal?

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

One of the big things about the joker is the open end has a plate that can hold a nut. Like you can use it like normal and the wrench can slide sideways on or off the nut, but rotate the nut 60 degrees and it fits into a cup shaped area, this would be great for holding nuts in blind areas.

I have had a full set of jokers for about 6 months now. Surprised folks aren't knocking off this feature.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

kastein posted:

So, I just finally moved my first real rolling toolbox into the hangar and I'll be putting my tools in it, instead of in the Husky hardside toolbag I've been packing them into like a sardine can with varying levels of success for the last ten years. This has me feeling extremely uneasy about junkyard runs as I normally just bring the bag with me to the junkyard, so even though it weighs well over 100lb it's never further away than the parking lot if I need a tool I didn't think I'd need that trip. How do normal people deal with this? Two full sets of tools? Careful research before going to pull parts and bring what you need? Luck? Sawzall goes with on all trips? This also means all my tools will be ~25 miles from home unless I had the foresight to pack them on the previous hangar trip or drive 30ish extra miles on the way to the junkyard, and I want ideas. Unfortunately 2 full sets of tools isn't in the cards at the moment, nor is the shop moving closer to the house.

I bought two smallish plastic boxes from northern tools and riveted some socket rails to one of them along with a magnetic holder in the lid. That one I have my 3/8" harbor fright ratchet, a set of metric sockets, external torx sockets, and basic screwdrivers, a mirror, flashlight and whatever else I normally need on just about every job along with a 1/4" wera Zyclop set that I take almost everywhere that contains various sockets and bits. In the second box, which I empty after each trip, I take whatever I need specific to that particular run. (For instance maybe a 1/2 breaker with a particular socket or a drill with bits or impact).

If I forget something, there is always an Autozone within a couple of miles of where I am headed and I donate the spare to my kids when I get home. I like the two boxes to balance me out walking in the hot Memphis sun. You will forget something, just part of the equation and try not to fret about it. I remind myself that junkyarding is my hobby more than a necessity and I always seem to do better at having the right tools now than I did years ago when I tried to haul everything and still missed a tool.

I have been redoing my shop and when I do I am going to re do my boxes as well as the hinges are getting tired and I think I can improve on the design. I might upgrade to some sort of modular system, but I did this about 5 years ago and liked the flexibility of a cheap box that I could roll my own tool holders, etc. The magnetic holder will probably go unless I can find one that holds the screwdrivers better.

We should start a thread on this to see everyone's solutions. Mine is really more minimalist than it sounds.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

blindjoe posted:

I have the M18 Fuel Shop Vac, and it has quickly become my most used tool.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Vacuums-and-Fans/0970-20

Have this as well, second the recommendation.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Anyone ever made a warrenty claim against Wera? My 10mm Joker wrench is screwed. I want to know if its worth approx $30 to mess with. I did not abuse it.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Any suggestions on a good snap ring plier set? I'm in love with Knipex stuff lately and I am about ready to throw all my cheap convertible crap out. Any opinions on Gearwrench set, it would be significantly cheaper than Knipex, but the older I get the more willing I am to buy once.

Trying to get into the inner snap ring on my Suburban a/c compressor and this cheap poo poo just has not real feel to it, although I may have to get it where I can drop it down and see what the hell I am doing.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

ThinkFear posted:

The knipex ones are indeed nice. I was frustrated with the random collection of convertible ones I had, too. Work was buying, so cost wasn't a huge issue, but after I got them I wound up buying the same ones for home. I did an a/c clutch on my Chevy 2500, and yeah, that is very much a job done solely by feel.

I gave up on the feel and just dropped the compressor after not being able to tell if it was locked or just the clutch. Once out, the snap ring was easy. The clutch was going to be $170, I got the compressor, orifice tube, drier and rear expansion valve all for $270 from RA, so I figured it that was a better deal than getting the clutch only to find out one of the other components was bad. I will buy the Knipex kit as a reward if it all works.

I have the channelocks, but they were just too big.

Thanks all for weighing in. BTW, the last time I posted to this thread was about Wera Joker Wrench warranty, props to Wera, they made it real easy to submit the claim and get a replacement.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
GM? Cannot be that easy, definitely not VAG or my rear end is in. Even then, plastic gonna plastic (especially German plastic).

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

PitViper posted:

Anything that needs more I still have a big air impact, but I'm trying to decide if my next purchase is the bigger electric to replace my air gun entirely, or the subcompact in a 3/8 with stubby sockets to get in tighter spots.

I have the aforementioned Milwaukee, but several years ago when they were only like $25 I purchased a Harbor Frieght electric impact for when I did not want to deal with dragging air hoses, etc. It is/was great for the money and unitl I got the Milwuakee, I haven't used my air powered one since. Looks like it is about $45 now, Chicago Electric.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Catatron Prime posted:

We live in a golden age of quality tools--brushless lithium battery tools are just magic, especially when I look back at NiCad cordless drills.

I see those things at garage and estate sales all the time for $25 and think you couldn't pay me $5 to buy them.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

This is some bullshit on Home Depot's part. Lowe's website will automatically add an item to your order if you don't choose one and give you a button in your cart to select something else. Meanwhile, I now have to exchange something I bought from Depot because I forgot to click the button and was at least lucky enough to notice before the sale ended.

I like that Depot splits the sale price so you can return any free stuff you don't want, but they could make it a lot harder to screw up your order.

Home Depot's site is hot garbage. I like to filter to what is in stock, it will show me multiple items in stock and I order them trying to pick them up later in the day. The site will invariably put a random item in the ship to store that should be in stock and I have to wait to pick up that one item later in the week. There is a Lowe's 20 minutes from me but I sometimes put up with the drive just to avoid the HD shitshow in Oxford, MS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Im going to be honest, I retrofitted my whole house with cat-5 about 10 years ago and at this point I really just run wireless (WAP) to a couple of hardwired points. Are you worried about security? House is about 3200 SFT on 3 levels and no one ever plugs into the hard ports I put in. Tonight the wife hung a picture over the sound system control panel I installed as part of whole house audio. A few random echos are better than the 3K I spent on that poo poo.