Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

craigslist guy posted:

2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 on-off road bike, like new 1300 miles, ran great but lost the keys in a move so it needs a new ignition or to be rewired, will trade for another bike or dirtbike, $1700 obo

Is it really possible this guy lost his keys or am I looking at a stolen bike? And how much could I talk him down from $1700?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

CA tell me what bike to buy. I’ve owned a Shadow 750, a C10 Concours, and a sumo DRZ 400. Obviously the DRZ was the best. But I don’t really want to get another. I’d like something just a tad bigger for highway speeds. I am still drawn to sumos and dual sports. Honestly I just want to wheelie. I know. Just your average basic bitch over here.

There’s a street legal 525 EXC about 8 hours away from me that I’m definitely not going to go get. But I do love that idea. I lust after the 701 but I don’t want to spend that much money. Same for the CRF450. I need to time travel to like 2025 when I can get those used.

Are there bikes I’m not thinking of? Should I sack up and get the 525? Should I recognize I’m too old to wheelie and get a standard? Or just pay up for the bikes I actually want? Grace me with your wisdom.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

$5k is probably my top but that would be very doable. I haven’t been looking at FB. Is that a good place these days?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I know. I left California right before he posted that. That bike haunts me. Now I’m in New England

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You forgot this and these.

e: fixed. loving awful app

ought ten fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 22, 2019

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I already pm'd shamelessly. I have ridden it a couple times between Seattle and Oakland and it's doable to ride long distance but by no means comfortable.

And believe me I would have done it. Left the Bay Area about three weeks before you posted it for sale.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Someone talk me out of this

https://maine.craigslist.org/mcd/d/north-turner-2018-suzuki-dr-400sm-dual/6860365812.html

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

So far into bad it's good again. Do it, ride like a king.

Thank you.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

It looks dumb as gently caress and drz400s suck compared to spending a tiny bit more for a ktm or husky

I'm sorry buddy. You know I wish I could buy your 701 just as much as you do.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Post pics

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

That's a beaut but I still want to see pictures of the Brazzercycle.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah don't let seat height limit you. I rock 30" legs and dirt bikes are not problem. Like the poster above says, these are light bikes so tiptoes isn't that bad, and it's not hard to hang a cheek off and get one foot down flat.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

When I had a kid I sold my drz SM and bought a faster supermoto. So that’s my advice.

But please be aware you’ll never ride again

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I work from home and wouldn't trade that for anything. Except sometimes I think about how good a commute would be so I could ride more often. Motorcycles are a sickness.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Check Facebook marketplace. Seems like a lot of people are listing there now instead of CL for whatever reason.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yup. My DRZ was stolen from my gated and locked yard in DC. It was an 8-foot fence and gate. But I didn’t lock the bike to something and I didn’t have a disc brake. Fortunately the dipshit also didn’t know what he was doing. He pushed it a couple blocks and a neighbor called the cops after he spent a while trying to figure out how to start it in an alley.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mildly farkled DR 650? Or is there a reason that’s not on your list? Drz 400 honestly sounds like it would fit the bill too if she can swallow a step down in displacement

Edit: Drz probably doesn’t have what you want for (I assume) highway riding

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ah I missed ABS

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Feels like running, decent condition bikes have a price floor even if they’re 25 years old. Anyway I’d buy that

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

My sumo DRZ came from advrider too. I think it had been passed around there a few times before I got it. I’m sure plenty of CA bikes have.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Concours 1000 if you don’t mind 1980s tech. A used one will probably have all the good stuff stuff added already so that’s a bonus.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Asking people not to use a racial slur *even if they don’t know it’s a slur* is extremely loving reasonable and there’s no reason CA can’t use one of many other terms like JDM.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Get the Concours instead.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

TheBacon posted:

It’s definitely the opposite of what I expected. I expected people hurting for money so a lot of nice things to be flooding the used market as people needed cash over toys. Boy was I wrong. I’m sure there is still some of that but as pointed out the influx of those still with disposable income and their usual outlets blocked is more than making up for it.

I suspect that part is still coming, but I’ve also given up trying to make sense of things so who knows.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Coydog posted:

Counterpoint: Oldwings are a scourge upon this earth and the sooner they disappear the better.

I feel this way about most things from the 70s, honestly.

You’re going to be waiting a long time.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

T Zero posted:

I have no qualms with dual sports - I passed my MSF class on one. I just haven't found any in my area in my price range. One of my constraints is that I have to buy from a dealer because our local DMV is booked for months.

My goal is to work my way up to a Bonneville, Vulcan S, or scrambler of some sort.

That sucks about needing a dealer.

Can confirm DRZ is a perfect DC bike. And reasonably cheap to insure as i remember. The one thing it’s not good for is riding out 66 to fun roads. But there are other places to ride. Other downside of a DS is it’s going to get stolen. A cover and a big lock to something permanent are very much advised.

e: who was the poster who hit a mailbox? Maybe I have the story wrong but they’re the only one I remember who bought a bike, had an extremely stupid crash, and stuck around and was a good poster.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

For 650 euro it seems like a no brainer but maybe I’m missing something.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH I'm fairly sure - what with the upside-down crankcases - you could only make a Deltic as a 2-stroke,

It’s a 4, and your owner’s manual will list the frequency and duration of wheelies and stoppies to keep the upper crankcase oiled.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Regarding the thread title:

I parked Fat Bob out front this morning, after coming back from the gym, as I'll be riding it later today as well after work.

My wife just walked back from a swim at the nearby university pool, as she was coming up on our street, she spied, in her words "3 hot blondes in tight shorts, halter tops, oohing and aahing over your bike. Then when they saw me walk up to our house, they looked a little bit disappointed."

She even called out to me as she came in the house so I could go out and marvel at said blondes, but I was too engrossed in work to respond to her saying hello and she only told me this 3 minutes later when I saw her in the kitchen later.

drat it.
Now your wife is stuck trying to decide if she’d rather live with someone super horny for motorcycle babes or someone who doesn’t listen to a single word she says

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Sounds good, probably something I just need to get used to.

You really will. I have a 30 inch inseam and had a DRZ for years and a similarly tall sumo now. It’s no problem at all. You’ll get used to just using one foot at a stop within your first couple hours riding it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

The exhaust, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Has your av always looked like that?