Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I think I've posted this before, but here's a Street 750 that isn't blacked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I might get that Triumph Street 400 as a first bike for my wife aka second bike for me.

Planning on taking the ARC later this summer or early fall; sometime when it's not 85F+ so that I'm not roasting in a parking lot for five hours.

Not that I can budget it for at least another year, but I think a proper sport tourer to replace my current mini-sport tourer (FZ6 with 30 minutes of strapping down drybags before a long trip) will happen eventually. I want ABS, cruise, heated grips, and factory bags. Undecided between something like the GSX-S1000GT (don't quite need 150hp, no center stand) or a Tracer 9GT (more expensive, dorky tall ADV stance).

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

I've always wondered whether constantly having petroleum products on your skin affects your saving throw for cancer, death or dragon's breath.

Plenty of VOCs to freshen the air too

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

opengl posted:

Just got home from doing two back to back ARC days on track at Pitt with Total Control. This was my first time on track. (other than a single track day in a car 10 years ago)

1. To nobody's surprise track time on a bike fuckin rules
2. I learned SO much
3. I have SO MUCH to learn still

I took the 390 so I could focus on the basics without getting overwhelmed with speed, and it was absolutely the right decision. Yes I got passed a lot but who cares.

Lee Parks was coaching the fast group and I got to eat lunch with him both days. Great dude, gave me some really good tips as a newbie to the track. The coaches were all A+.

It's absurd that this is free in PA and anyone who lives here and doesn't take advantage is truly missing out. I went with a bunch of buddies and we had an absolute blast, camped out at the track both days.

I live in York and am taking the Intermediate in a week, but would absolutely take a week long vacation to Pittsburgh to do this

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

opengl posted:

I drove 5.5hrs from Philly and it was 100% worth it.

Oh nice. My parents live in between Bedford and Somerset, so I've headed out that way a few times now on the bike. Did you take 30 out or boring rear end 76?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

epswing posted:

Yikes. Guess it could’ve been worse. Glad you’re ok.

The only piece missing from my usual gear is pants. I typically wear plain jeans, which I know is about the same as wearing nothing at all, but I haven’t come around yet to spending ~$500 on a single pair of Tobaccos.

What’s a tried/true brand that offers good protection for someone that doesn’t care about form/style at all, and is perhaps half as expensive? Even if they offer half the protection, it’ll be infinitely more protection than normal jeans.

Or am I thinking about this wrong and should just spend $1k on a couple pairs of the expensive stuff?

Nah don't bother with Tobacco. I've never seen aramid/Kevlar lined jeans have a good abrasion rating. Dyns will sell you single layer AA Dyneema or AAA Armalith jeans, these from Bull-It are AAA for <$200 https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bull-it-covert-evo-straight-jeans

If you want to spend Tobacco money, you can get high end stuff from Rokker or Klim that outperform them.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

One of the regional gas station/convenience store chains around here carries ethanol-free fuel in half of their stations so I'm never far away from that as an option. It's expensive as poo poo, but so is owning the bike.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I'm surrounded by major metro areas but if I want a dealer that has any stock in anything that's Not Harley or a handful of those 125cc Honda variants, I gotta go at least 90 minutes out to find that

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Merry Christmas moto goons.

Post up your bike haul from Santa

Helite Turtle vest!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Oooh did you get the e-Turtle or the mechanically activated one?

I'm strapped in

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Semi sporty versions of naked bikes are dead because the vague sense of sportiness they bequeath is passe, they have been largely replaced by contrivedly hip and cool quasi retro variants.

Dw though the wind is blowing in a way where that trend is slowly merging and being supplanted by quasi retro 80's/90's stuff so half fairings will be back, just in a contrivedly awkward and impractical way!

This is me buying an FZ6 as a first bike and my uncle's Z900rs cafe when he inevitably decides to sell it in 2-3 years

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Strife posted:

The image should just be "25 year olds aren't buying $35k motorcycles because we successfully destroyed the economy to an extent where none of them will never own anything!" But it won't be updated because whoever made it probably died of COVID.

What gets me is they tell the same "millenials hurrr" jokes when us millenials are nearly at or over 40 now

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I'm trying to get my wife's mild curiosity about bikes into enough of an interest to have an excuse to buy a second bike, which would likely be an SV

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

MSPain posted:

is that the bike your wife likes?

She doesn't know what she likes or wants, but she enjoys riding passenger and has taken my FZ6 around the fairgrounds near the house after I've given her some simple basic lessons. I'm trying to encourage her to get her permit and take the beginner course.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Started ridding in motorcycle a few years ago when I turned 35 after my parents moved a few hours west. I remember reading a while back how for most people, you can basically have a countdown as an adult on how many more times you'll see your parents as time goes on. Gives me more of a reason to see them several times per year riding across Pennsylvania enjoying two sets of mountain passes in the Appalachians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

His points in the video were that CE2 rated armor is certified at half the impact force of what it takes to cause a fracture, and then cited studies that had self-reported data regarding injuries showing that it doesn't appear to do much. But there's a bias in that, as it doesn't capture people who didn't get injured due to the armor doing its thing. But he, rightfully in my opinion, calls out the A/AA/AAA rating system as a whole since nothing would get certified at that level without armor installed and wishes there were armor options that were twice as strong as what CE2 certifies for.

I guess we all decide what we want to wear. I'll still have my CE2 pads in nearly everything, I'll still be head to toe in boots/pants/jacket/gloves/helmet for virtually every ride. But even still, more rides than not I'm picking a short cuff glove and low or mid-height boots/shoes over the track-ready gauntlets and tall boots and half the time I'm leaving the airbag vest at home.