Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Earth posted:

I have a potentially dumb idea. I'm interested in trying to color up my small front yard in the spring. Is it possible to add tulips throughout the yard and let them come up before I start mowing without killing the tulips? If I mow them after flowering would I kill the tulips? Is this a dumb idea?

I've seen that done with earlier bulbs, like crocuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

CommonShore posted:

I put coffee and water into a jar and buried it in a hot spot for like an hour. It was drinkable.

Wait, what?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I've heard of people putting big copper coils in mulch piles to heat stuff. With a little planning I'm sure you could setup a decent heat exchange for a greenhouse.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I'd be happy with that. A wild plant thread would be cool for TGO and the plant thread can stay horty in DIY. I'll follow all of them. And leave the weird bonsai nerds alone.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Bonsai is about as niche as you can get, and it's a lot more than just growing potted trees. I think it's well defined and can stay on topic within its own thread. The low post rate is just indicative of the nature of bonsai: slow and steady.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Not planting in full sun, planting in poorly drained soil, not taking preventive measures against pests.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I think a lot of what can be thrown into those green bins are compostable on an industrial scale but not in your traditional backyard compost piles.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

You could make a delicious broth to warm you on the cold gardening days ahead, though

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I mean... If they're a pest anyways and you can make them somewhat palatable, then why not take advantage of a lovely situation? I'd maybe make them more saucy and pretend they're just prawns.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I have a flexzilla and it's survived at least one summer of constant pressure. Way easier to roll up compared to regular garden hose. The best I've ever used is 1 inch hydraulic hose.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

This spring I'm going to be brave and buy bulk compost from a local vendor. If you bring a pickup truck do they usually bobcat it in? I guess it depends on the people running the yard.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Depending where you are and the resources available you can harvest local rock to make a very bourgeoisie barrier to mark where the peasants need to keep away from

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

If you do the pile method you might get a volunteer garden. Best of both worlds. But if you like digging holes then you could do the pit method. It's odd though that you care enough to save it in case it can be used only to bury it and never use it

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I know spores101 is Canadian and terrible. They operate out of the town I live in and there's a good chance that they'll just forget about what I ordered. Don't support them. Mycoboutique is apparently Canadian and looks as though they've got a slightly better setup. I might try them if my mother culture ever dies.

I can't remember what prefers what but I don't think a lot likes live fruit wood. Maybe hen of the woods if you inoculate near the base of the trunk.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I just sprouted my pumpkins it's still pumpkin season

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

There's a wasabi farm not far from where I live. From what I understand it's pretty tricky to grow. I think they have poly tunnels over pea gravel beds that they flood, kind of like hydroponics? I don't know how well it does indoors.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Someday I gotta try growing pot. I don't smoke it or do anything fun but it'd be neat to grow it as an ornamental. It sure looks beautiful enough to be one.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

There are drying and fermenting processes that make it palatable to smoke, no clue how it would affect leaf in mouth flavour or nicotininess

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I thinned my grapes today.

I have no idea if I made the right decisions, but the majority of vineyard papers say to start when your shoots are between 3 and 12 inches, and to keep 3 to 5 shoots per foot and only spare the fruiting shoots, unless you plan to recuperate that particular node. I wish I went to school for this stuff.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I have so many god damned potatoes coming up. Every single bed, even the flower beds. I nip their tops off when they break ground but I think it just makes them stronger. I feel like the last owners are playing a cruel joke but I'm pretty sure it was just a product of dementia.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

My pumpkins are doing very poorly and yellowing. I think it's because there's too much native clay in the patch and because I've been keeping up on watering it's making the roots rot rather than be happy. Thank you for listening to my plant talk.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do they have squash vine borers? I bet they do

I'm on the west coast, I don't think we have those here. I'm gonna mound up some rich soil on them and see if they'll recover a bit

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Could be cold. It's still a bit early for squash over here.

This could be it. We just hit 10°c at night so maybe they'll recover a bit. In any case I think another layer of compost rich soil can't hurt

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Pumpkins are bouncing back, thank you for your help. Pumpkin season lives on.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

What the gently caress am I gonna do with all these pumpkins in August?!?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

When you pinch the tops it'll feel flat. Also when the edges of the husks are starting to get dry. Also when it looks good enough for eating.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I realized the other day that my sugar pumpkins will be ready within the next week or so, but the big Cinderella ones are still green and getting bigger. Thank goodness. I can puree the baking ones and just freeze it all until it's spooky pie time.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I can't decide what's going on with one of my pear trees. Looks like fire blight, can't find any cankers or weeping, and the limbs seem to be surviving. It keeps happening during the heat waves we've been having here in the PNW. Since the first one I've been watering as best I can within the drought restrictions. Could be just too darn hot for the variety?

I'm skeptical about its chances of survival till fall, especially if the heat continues. Luckily it's more of a stewing variety that I don't care for.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I'm on Vancouver Island, zone 8b. No rain here for almost 50 consecutive days now. My best guess is an Anjou tree. The people who planted it just referred it as the stewing pear tree, and they're green and stay super firm. I do the dribble trick, about eight hours at a time on a very low trickle. The internet says it's a drought tolerant variety so maybe it is some form of canker... I've got to spray next year for rust anyways so I might throw in a copper sulfate application to be safe.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Not many pests around this year, including cicadas. It's been a banner year for mellons and peppers I tell you what.

I'll check the penetration... I've been looking for an excuse to get a moisture meter. I've been so scared of using a noticeable amount that the stream could be just evaporating before it gets anywhere.

I agree with Kaiser on the fruit aspect, and I'm a little bewildered that besides some cosmetic defects the fruit has remained in remarkable shape for the type of year we've had. If it is fire blight I'm hesitant to prune now if I can save the fruit. According to the internet it shouldn't spread now anyways since it's dry as hell here.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

You might need a forestry engineer's opinion, or someone who's familiar with the variables involved with switching from one dominant tree species to another. Step one is probably cut it all down though so I'd start with that.

E: or burn it down

E2:
It's fire blight :ms:

Bi-la kaifa fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 3, 2021

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Hexigrammus posted:

Ah crap. Haven't had a pear tree survive that yet. The arbutus manage to soldier on after an attack. Not sure if that will be true after this summer's drought.

I asked some hort friends and apparently I have nothing to lose if I try to save it by pruning it way back, but it's likely a gonner. Too bad.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I'm pretty sure that plastic explosives in the shape of friendly woodland creatures have been successful in the past.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

It's dead, Jim

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

We had issues with a bird picking off all our tomato leaves and leaving just the stem. Probably a naughty bird.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

goatse guy posted:

Plant some perennials and you only have to do it once!

This is wise advice. I have a row of peonies and every spring I'm thankful for that one day of effort.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

No that's just a really big carrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

My only goal for the last few years has been to dominate the local fair. My flowers and produce must crush as many dreams as possible.