Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Deeters posted:

I'm just a lurker, but I am a car and bike fan, so :justpost:

Well in that case…

I’m hardly even a lurker here, but I did just finish my first motorcycle. It was really a fun build, and I will probably scoop up a Tamiya Ducati soon even though I’ve got a heap of cars to work on.

Jägermeister 934 is the next one, in the spirit of the season and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Oof. I’d probably sit down and add that to the instructions myself one evening. A Beetle is on my wishlist, so maybe I’ll take my chances with a Samba Bus instead.

Sorry to hear about the other modeling troubles too. The dark parts are no fun. The clear coat wrinkled on the Yamaha I posted earlier and ended up sanding it all down and changing color schemes. Just glad it didn’t happen on one of the cars really.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I found myself going over and over the instructions to get them right for the Yamaha. Then I found out I clipped a stub or two so couldn’t use some.

Anyway, that’s looking nice. I like the frame’s color. Got a Tamiya Suzuki Katana to build when I’m ready for another bike.

934 is well under way now, but I really don’t like painting the rubber bits on the car’s body. Some of it went well with the paint marker, some didn’t. I’ve been able to scrape most of the splotches thankfully. Will do more and try smoothing things out with a mini brush.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

Are you painting the black trim freehand? That might be why the line isn't smooth. I did a similar 911 model but I masked off the area with tape and got a very clean trim line. You might want to get some Tamiya tape it's safe to put over painted surfaces.

Yeah, that was it. I taped things for a second round that turned out a lot better. I’ll plan on starting with that next time. The Tamiya tape really is great.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I lost one of the wheel insert bits for one of my 1/24 Tamiya kits. I know I can email Tamiya about it, but anyone got any clever replacement part ideas outside of that? I stole one out of another kit I've got, but I'm still under the delusion that I'll build all my kits one day. Pic below for what I'm missing...

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

You might be able to find some bushings like that in a hardware store. I was surprised to find some #0 O-rings for my airbrush for just pennies each.

Other than that, you don't happen to have a metalworking lathe, by chance?

I’ll have to check out the local hardware store, but sadly no lathe. That’d be pretty cool though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Locator posted:

Don't happen to live in AZ do you? Because I happen to have a small lathe and milling machine.

No, but I’d be willing to pay a fair sum for a few replacements if you are.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Locator posted:

They look pretty simple, just a cylinder with a hole in them, right? I'm headed out the door for a trip and will probably be out for a couple weeks, but if you want to send me the exact dimensions I could probably turn a few of those out of brass without much of a problem. I probably have the brass stock to do it, if not it's pretty easy to get.

I assume the material isn't terribly important and a metal piece would work instead of whatever type of plastic that is?

Shoot me a PM with the dimensions and when I get back from the trip I'll see what I've got that I can make some out of.

Thanks! Will do.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That's looking great! I got a Tamiya Suzuki Katana for my birthday, and I'm itching to build that. Got a pile of cars still, but finished up the Porsche 934 and am working on a Honda S600 currently.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Locator posted:

So I did some modeling stuff... sort of... maybe? In any case I've not contributed to this thread in ages, so have some parts recreation.

It started with this:

I got a PM with the dimensions:

Diameter - 5/32"
Height - 7/32"
Hole Size - 5/64"

I confirmed that the hole runs all the way through and isn't a blind hole making a cap, found that I had some brass rod that was already exactly 5/32", so figured easy peasy... then discovered that I couldn't find a 5/64" drill bit. I did however have a 5/64" end-cut mill bit, so whatever, I'd fake it.

Step one was converting the lathe back to a lathe, as I had it reconfigured as a mill, which was easy enough. Used a center bit to make a small pilot divot for the bill bit since it's not self-centering, drilled the hole and cut off the piece. First two were wrong in various ways, but got the speeds and everything figured out for number three, so then it was just a matter of repeating it 5 more times.

Then, because I never leave well enough alone, and the original parts are black, I decided to involve chemicals. First acetone bath to get all the oils off the brass, then distilled water, then dry well, then the wonderful chemical from Jax Industries, rinse off, and dry.

And there we go. Six little parts for some model kit that I don't even own! Hopefully they work for nitsuga and hopefully one of these days I'll do some more wood stuff other than jointing large pieces of wood to make them flat.

Edit: Looking at the picture of the original parts, I'm not convinced the height measurement is right, as those bits look like they are about equal height/width, but eh.. I made them per the measurements since I don't have an original.

I really appreciate this. They look amazing, and they will go on to do good things in this world.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

New project! I've been thinking of redoing my airbrush spray booth for a while now. My current unit was two of the typical cheapy hobby units bolted together, with a hood that had to flare out widely to give me the space I needed. Not ideal, not as quiet as it could be, and the ergonomics of it were lacking. Then I remembered I had a big box fan sitting in closet taking up space, so I decide to build a new booth based around that.

The box fan is the main body, which I created a hood for out of translucent corrugated plastic board, sometimes know as Coroplast or Fluted Hi-Core. These means the entire hood will transmit light from my powerful overhead LED shop lights. That attaches with a high-strength velcro strips. I also added in some inward angling wood strips, which I then attached LED strips to for even more lighting. The 45deg inner angle means they light what I'm working on, without blasting me in the eyes. RGB's as well, so I can tune the color of the light depending on what I'm working on. The filter is a standard furnace filter, which conveniently comes in the exact same dimensions as the box fan. I put in a small retaining slat at the top of the fan with some scrap wood to hold filter in place, while being loose enough I can pull the filter out easily when it needs replacing, which will be much cheaper and easier to obtain than the filters for the hobby spray booth. And then I bought a new lazy-susan just for the heck of it to replace the old and dirty one I had been using before.

This gives me more space than my old booth in both vertical and horizontal, and more suction with less noise. Win win!

That’s neat. What are you doing for exhaust?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That Skyline looks a treat. I’ve gotten through a a 914 build (that I had to epoxy to get to sit on the frame) and halfway through a Beetle so far. Been busy with other things, so I’m not stressing, but I can’t wait to cool off on hot summer days working on a few more.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 15, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yes, that really does look like an ND interior. I can picture myself squeezing into one all over again. Anyway, what did you use for paint?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Keep it up! My Katana is taking shape, but all my pictures have been poop. Oh well.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That looks great. What did you make it out of?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Miata passes my inspection. That metallic paint is something else. Good luck with the Lambo.

Ah, and what the hell. Here’s where I’m at with my Suzuki Katana build:

I’ll probably forgo the windscreen, as it doesn’t mount nicely. But otherwise it’s a whole nest of vinyl tubing to sort out and getting the fork installed.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 10, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That looks great. Very nice work with the painting. Is it some specific character though?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’ll pass on the trash, but I for one like the little crayfish.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Looks like a nice kit, and I hope you keep sharing. :)

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

The Miura is coming along rather nicely. Got the wetsanding/polishing done, decals, bare metal foil window trim, and the PE is almost finished and I haven't made any horrendous mistakes yet but the day is still young. The side slats are looking good, and I bent the piece that goes over them and it turned out surprisingly well I just have to paint it the body color now. Ugh the finish line is where I always mess up pray for me goons.

I’m praying. Looks really good too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

I figured I'd post some pics of the 99% complete Miura. There's just one more piece of photo etch that has to go on each side and I'm absolutely terrified of doing it because it goes over the metal slats on the door and they are FRAGILE. It looks pretty good in it's current state so I figured I'd show it off before I totally ruin it.

Nicely done. Good luck with those pesky last bits.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That looks great too. I didn’t know the Skyline models were so detailed, but you sure bring them out.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I like the music stand too. I am definitely going to crib that when I relocate from the basement over the winter.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

sarujin_nz posted:

(also the one bit I didn't quite get right are the black rubber strips along the doors - besides just tape and hand painting, does anyone have any recommendations on how to get accurate lines on little details like this?)

The Ute's a beaut. I'm also curious about this. For the Testarossa I'm working on, I'm considering either spray painting or a combo of spray paint for the bumper and grilles and a paint marker for the window seals and stuff. I'm planning on cribbing most of what this person's done (starts at about 00:50 with the masking portion):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LLhG26LTB0

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 25, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Great work as always. Too bad about the window, but I try to think of those things as a bit of character instead of a flaw. Also do plenty of collecting based on what I would have in my dream garage.

For some content, here’s a few of my Testarossa with an ill-fitting trunk:

Was fitting fine throughout, but I think I got the bracket misaligned when it was time to glue it all together. Oh well. I’ll probably figure out some way to keep it propped open instead.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

drat I'm sorry man that car looks really awesome aside from the trunk. Is the Testa mid engine? Maybe you can just remove the trunk altogether and display the engine. Either way, still very cool these car models can be super tough to get totally right. Especially if you're building anything other than a Tamiya. If you mess up a Tamiya (like I did with the Skyline) you know the issue is something you did versus the model itself. But every mistake is a learning moment! Also I should probably work on models when I'm sober that might help.

Ah, thank you and no need to be sorry for me. Like I said, once I get the trunk propped up it'll just be a quirk I and I alone know about. It is mid-engined, and the namesake for the car is the valve covers, so it'll all work out.

What the hell. Here’s the box:

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 21, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That turned out well. Nice work! Gonna have to look for some 2K I think.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Things like these work OK too: https://a.co/cy7OMPQ

Not that well for spray paint but decently for airbrushes. For aerosols plan on needing more ventilation. I run a filtered box fan and open at least another basement window whenever I spray. I don a respirator too.

It’s a pain point, but I do think being able to spray paint is pretty handy, so I’d definitely consider some sort of outdoor spray shelter if nothing else. I’ve got a Wagner tent that is pretty decent.

But yeah, try to build some kits with whatever means you have. I’ve had a few that didn’t need anything painted that a brush couldn’t do.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 4, 2023

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hey, y'all. Still building and thought I'd share my latest:

Also made a lightbox, which is a pretty cool trick for taking photos of these things in the squalor that is my basement.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ah, thanks goons. Maybe I’ll put the scale in the subtitle. Then I could spend all the proceeds on more old Tamiya kits. :homebrew:

Next up:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The “fabric” stuff looks great too, really convincing. Nice job.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The only thing is the color lineup in the kit is a little weird. I think maybe you did scope out the colors you’ll need already though. In that case carry on.

If not, some aren’t going to be overly useful for automotive kits. You could buy it and hang onto them or price out what the essentials from the kit and the paint colors you need.

Not sure one way or the other will save you a lot of money, but you may need a fair number of colors in addition to those.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 29, 2023

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

In an attempt to get some modelling mojo back I'm currently working on a kit of the 2019 Toyota Le Mans car. Most of the work will be in the paint and decals cause there is bugger all in the way of detail under the funky looking body shell. In order to make the build a little easier I have stuck a majority of the body panels together as this will ease the painting process.

TS050? That thing looks sweet, but holy panels. Here I thought the TS020 I’m working on was a big job.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I do love that pink. Is it a Tamiya rattle can by chance?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That is some great figure painting. Nice work, Fearless.

Here's what I've been working on. For Backlogust, I built an AMT Golf GTI kit for the second time. My first attempt being the first model I had built for many years. Here's a side by side:

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 1, 2023

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

What all will we need to provide to kick things off, other than a photo of the doom-shelf? I've got plenty to do, and there are literally not enough hours before the end of the year for me to empty out my backlog.

I think that and a pic of the final product ought to do. Maybe just keep track personally and make an effort post at the end. That’s my plan.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Here's my shelf of doom:

I hope I'm not bending the rules too far having only one partially started kit, the Subaru Impreza WRC. The Savanna RX-7, Monkey 125, and Pinewood Derby kits have been hanging around the last year and change. The others were acquired this year, so I will channel my energy toward these older kits.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Holy cow! The Peugeot really turned out. Good luck with the 787B.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Fearless posted:

I was able to finish my Backlogtober figures and also recently picked up and completed an Airfix 1/76 Mk. I "Male" heavy tank just to have some fun making something extremely dirty:

The patina looks great, but I think we have until the end of the year for Backlogtoberfest.

Here’s hoping anyway ‘cause I have only gotten a few more things done with the Subaru rally car. November is looking better for hobby time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Backlogtoberfest #1 for me:

Going to start in on a Tamiya RX-7 kit next, and we'll see just how far I get. Here's hoping!