Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Andy also has a really good YouTube channel where he does reviews and builds. Definitely worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

I also do this, and so I have a ton of discontinued paints from different manufacturers that are all in different form factors so it's hard to store on anything but a flat shelf.

Almost all my paints stay in fairly good condition, with the exception of Citadel paints. The ones I have that were in the hexagon containers seemed to last forever, but every paint pot after that has been less and less paint and less and less shelf life. gently caress Corax White or whatever, I have gotten some that went clumpy and bad in just the few months they were on the shelf at the FLGS.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

I love the old GW hex bullets, even if the paint they contained wasn't very good.

The ones with the screw off caps that would require vice grips if even the smallest amount of paint got in the threads? Or the ones that looked like that but actually had the flip top?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

The ones with the self-locking caps, yeah. Terrible design, cost way too much, but nostalgia's a bitch.

Yeah, the cure for nostalgia is to look at your early 90s Warhams and compare them to the models you can get today.

compared to

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Left to right rating: god-tier, WTAF?, acceptable.

If you want the old good GW paints that I still have usable pots of fukkan 25 years after buying them then just head out onto the internet and find someone that'll ship Coat D'arms to you. They're the same company still making the same colours that they did for GW. When they switched to the suicide twist tops they moved supplier elsewhere and that's why Blood Red went to poo poo at the same time and a bunch of other good colours stopped existing.

I did not know that! That is good to know. That explains a lot really.

Unrelated to minis, I just saw this mega model of the Avro Lancaster that looks amazing. 1/32nd scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJIGlkRWB38

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I hate to ask this because it might sound stupid, but is this the same Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone else in the thread doing the Hachette/Agora models Bismarck, or Titanic?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It is odd because the olive green looks pretty good, the red looks ok, the weathering is ok. I think it is just the odd forest green camo or whatever that ruins it. The pictures I see don't have those dark green splotches. I think they might have just had too much paint on their drybrush, haha.

Edit: On closer inspection and looking at other pics of that kit, I swear it looks like the white/off white portion of the kit is that Rustoleum texture spray for outdoor furniture and stuff.

Like this stuff:

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 20, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think if it was aimed at kids it may have come pre-painted. You can get a surprising number of good looking pre-painted models for kids. I got my son an X-Wing one. I have the big kid version of a pre-painted model, I am building the Hachette/Agora Bismarck, because painting a 1/200 scale Bismarck is a loving pain. I know because I also have the 1/200 wooden and photo etch Hachette Bismark. I also have the 1/200 Hachette Hood! I might have a problem!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That is my auxiliary hobby area during the Winter when my garage gets a little too cold to work in. Normally that space is reserved for puzzles and board games and the occasional sit down dinner. Just me, the kid, and the dog in the house so there is no one to check the expanse of my hobby miasma as it spreads through the house.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

Hello! Sadly, while the titanic interests me some, I'm still too neck deep in the leopard 2a6 model from them to worry about the titanic. I also am unsure where I'd display it once finished if I had bought either. Been watching world of wayne's build of the bismark and it has been pretty cool though.

This response is extremely on point because I was going to ask the other builders how they were going to display their ships. My wooden ones are lighter and totally static. Wayne is not lying when he says how heavy the Bismarck is. It is a beast! The Leopard looks really cool, will be exciting to see it come together. Unfortunately not a time period that super interests me, but I would love to see a Char B1 Bis model in that scale. I think that is very unlikely though. It seems that German tanks are the ones that get the most attention.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

So I did this for a few of mine and the little balls will rust. Use tiny pebbles

What brand of metal balls did you use? I have had good luck using the Army Painter brand agitators. Have had in some paints for quite some time and not experienced any rust, yet. Have had some in for over a year now.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

OcCre is releasing a 1/200 Prinz Eugen model, if people want to bulk out their German fleets. Not a lot of detail, just a video released so far. Love the paint scheme they chose, very hard to pull off though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6FpmTj-zlY

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I also have a Neatfi XL and think it is great. The articulation on it can be really helpful in some instances as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QT9PW12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just saw there was confirmation on the Model Space forums that Model Space, the US arm of DeAgostini Models, is going out of business. Shame, since many of their kits were quite nice. They're still going to run operations in Europe, but that means if anyone from NA wants one of their partworks, they'd have to use a reshipper.

The only portion of their business that will directly sale to NA is their Fanhome site, which seems to mostly be overpriced junk. They have a nice half-size R2-D2 partwork there, and rumors a nice AT-AT kit will be out soon, but the rest of Fanhome is dogshit quality action figures they've slapped a "collectible" label on and charging 5 times their worth.

I've had my eye on the Sovereign of The Seas ship for a while now, but I guess I'll have to pay UK prices and shipping with a reshipper if I ever go for it. Big blow to the ship modelling community, as they had a lot of interesting stuff, and second to none instructions for everything.

That is a huge bummer. I built the R2-D2 and it was quite a build. I also have their Samurai Armor but have not finished that one yet. Kind of in a state of perpetual delay. Was really interested in some of their planes. This is just a real shame.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

How did the R2 work out cost wise? I saw it and got super excited and then reading the description it sounded like it was going to cost $1500 and take 2 years to get all the parts.

It was very expensive. That sounds about right, both in cost and time. I built it with my son and the monthly installments actually made it a reasonably easy project to complete. Looks really nice. It is quite big as well.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Does anyone know of any good paint racks for Tamiya acrylic jars? Preferably one that has slots for both the 10ml and 23ml jars although I can live one that can just accommodate the 10ml. I looked on Amazon and it seems like most of their racks are designed for dropper style bottles like Vallejo paints.

Also thanks to everyone that recommended a Neatfi lamp I got one and it's BRIGHT.

Have you tried looking on Etsy? There are a lot of people on Etsy that have CnC machines and make hobby related stuff, but at a scale too low to own a proper store or sell on Amazon. I have found a lot of really good job y related stuff on Etsy, and I just started looking a few months ago.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The box has dimensions that are slightly hard to read, but it looks to be about 1.22 meters in wingspan and 1.16 meters in length. I love a big oversized model, building a 1/200 bismarck right now. And even though it is huge and heavy, nothing compares to the 1/10 scale Yamato I saw when I went to Japan. That was one hell of a model.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

I built a strange German airplane earlier this week.

Airfix's old Blohm & Voss BV 141. Still decent for such an ancient mold, didn't use the figures as they're kind of lovely.

Cool looking model, but the plane looks like a death trap!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am still using my old bottle of woodland scenics one part water product. I use it mostly for miniature bases and not dioramas though. What I do with it is apply a bunch of thin coats and it seems to turn out ok. One thing I do to avoid creep on the sides is to do a thin layer where it can actually bubble up in the middles just a hair. Like adding as much as you can up to surface tension breaking, which is not much. Then it dries pretty flat after the shrinkage. Of course if I had to go deeper than a few mm this would be too tedious.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Anyone know any good source to buy flocking? (To simulate carpet in cars). I've looked at all my favorite websites and googled the heck out of it but I'm just not finding what I'm looking for.

Depending on the scale you can find some floor pads pre-made.

Here is a place that has small leather : http://ka-models.co.kr/?product_cat=material&paged=2

Here are some floor matts and mud flaps: https://www.detailmaster.com/collections/car-mats

This place looks like it has loose flock material for all sorts of interior colors: https://www.modelcargarage.com/eshop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=16

another flock material : https://www.modelroundup.com/category-s/157.htm

Are any of these close to what you need? I can look some more as well but I am not super familiar with model cars in particular.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I saw a video of a person using a tea strainer looking thing for applying some of their flocking and now I am considering buying one and seeing how they work out for my non automotive flocking needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDGl-lBSkeA&t=45s

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think one of the citadel texture/basing paints would work well for this, but would need to be painted. Their mud texture paint with a drybrush of greens over the top might make a convincing moss.

-Edit- Did not realize how small the scale was, the GW paints are probably too big.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ever have that gut feeling where you are like "I don't think I really should pick up this extra part of the hobby. I already have too many!" then still do it anyway? I just had the realization that I am probably going to get a 3D printer.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I absolutely must buy a 3D printer to make a ton of custom bases for armies I have not even purchased yet, and by the time I get around to it I decide I want to do different bases, so I take the previously 3D printed bases and put them in a rubbermaid storage drawer and they will live there till I move and then they will go into a big storage tote, and then 20+ years from now when I die my son can throw them away.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Ah yes, the "someday I will build a workshop" stage of modelling :hmmyes:

Just need a nice 2400 square foot workshop with an attached house.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SkunkDuster posted:

On one of the facebook modeling groups, someone mentioned that the guy who makes the Rosie the Riveter tools died and the tools are no longer in production. They mentioned that something from a sewing store could be used as a suitable substitute, but I don't remember what it was. It had a name I'd never heard before - not a perforating tool. Any ideas?

Sounds like a leather punch or leather marking tool, but those are probably too large. Rotary fabric tools might also be something similar. I will look into it.

Edit: Looks like "Fabric Scoring Tool" is bringing up some close items, but the term you might be looking for is "Stitch Marking Tool".

https://www.amazon.com/LUNARM-Traci...257309175&psc=1

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 1, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Chris Watton makes wonderful ships as mentioned above, would definitely be great.

But I am going to give some advice that might seem slightly unorthodox. I would start with wooden ship kits that you can finish in a weekend or a week.

This is a great one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3542864752...ABk9SR5rPvKP3YA

Unfortunately Midwest doesn't make them anymore, hence having to go through ebay.

The Midwest entry level kits you can do and get a real feel for the wood part of the hobby and learn the basics. A Vanguard model is a project that is likely going to take 6 months to years, depending on how much time you can devote to it. I would expect 400-500 hours would not be unreasonable.

After you knock out the Midwest Dinghy, which does not have a lot of bending or planks, try out the canoe, which has a little bit of that.

Canoe: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2347253691...%3ABFBM1LHVo_dg

Or if you don't want to do a canoe this would be about the same difficulty: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2347253634...%3ABFBMms-8o_dg

After you do those two, which you could conceivably get knocked out in a month, I would recommend doing a small ship with limited amount of gunports. You could do a cross section model which can be fun because you don't have to struggle with planking as much, and you get a good feel for the material. I would recommend doing a smaller kit from Occre, don't spend more than 300 on the kit, and make sure what you get is double planked. Double planked *sounds* more difficult and like more work than single plank, but that is not the case. A single planked model only gets one set of planks around it to make the skin, so it must be perfect and any imperfection is obvious and noticeable and you will hate it. A double planked model gets a second skin of planks around the first skin and is much, much, much easier to get to look good. I think the Corsais or Chebeck (Jabeque Cazador) would be good models, but Occre probably has some others that would work.

Here is a link to Occre's instructions. Take a look at them and they can give you a feel for the challenge. If you are serious about model ships you could do these first 3 and have the skill/experience you need for that big ship you really want to do in about 6 months. If you start with that big ship there is a high probability of hitting a problem and stalling out, especially if you make a mistake early in construction and you don't catch it.

https://occre.com/en/pages/instrucciones

I have too many loving unfinished model ships in my house.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I love Andy's videos. I should buy that big tank.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sash! posted:

I've always thought it would be super cool to build a tall ship with all the rigging, but I don't need to spend hours working towards the moment it goes out the window followed by a festive wordcloud of obscenities.

So, maybe there is a great answer to this quest. For about 200 dollars you can get a really nice cross section of the Santasima Trinidad, and the model itself goes together much more easily than a full ship, and the rigging is significantly reduced, but enough is there to have some fun with it.

https://premiershipmodels.us/product/santisima-trinidad-cross-section-model-boat-kit-occre-16800/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Locator posted:

I note you didn't say *which* January... so...

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/hms-sphinx-1775/

That is a great looking kit, would love to pick it up.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Locator posted:

I'd love to try some of Chris's designs/kits, but I haven't really been doing much of anything recently, life has just been too busy. I have the huge project that I got all the stuff ready to start.. and then just sort of got busy with life and have done nothing beyond acquiring a bunch of materials, assembling the building board, printing the plans and then preparing a bunch of wood. My workshop has been idle for a long time now.

Supposedly he designed an absolutely massive HMS Victory for Amati, like 1/64th scale or something, some years ago, but I have not seen Amati launch that kit yet. I might pick up one of the CW kits for the future and just tuck it away, with the pound being so low. Maybe not the Sphinx but the Duchess looks good.

edit to add link to a partial build log of the 1/64 Victory: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25071-hms-victory-prototype-by-james-h-amati-164/

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 26, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It would be interesting to see if hybrid or all STL/digital file model kits could be a thing. It looks like most of the big decorative pieces for CW's stuff is 3d printed. I have a high end 3d printer, and I am looking at buying a light laser and cnc machine. Instead of buying and futzing around with a whole model kit it might be possible to just produce the whole kit myself with the printer and cnc machine, just requiring the files and instructions. An interesting topic to think about. Lots of people have 3d printers, but at home cnc machine or laser engraver is less common. I am looking at buying an Snapmaker Artisan, and at that point I think I could actually just make most of the components from base materials. It would be interesting to see a market where there are a lot of STLs available, for example, instead of including a bunch of different decorative stern options like the HMS Vanguard model, it could come with just the Vanguard one and then they could put up STLs ofd other famous ships, and their figure heads and whatnot. Then they don't have to worry about physically creating or tracking more product but still are providing options.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

What’s the current go to 3D printer for scale
Modelling which isn’t crazy top of the range money?

Resin or fdm? What size stuff do you want to print? If you are only going to print smaller stuff but need a lot of detail the Anycubic Photon mono 4k is absolutely wonderful. High detail, easy to print on, small and compact, and under 200 right now. Highly recommend it, have used it. Elegoo Saturn 2 would be my recommendation if you need a lot of production and size, but that is 600.

https://www.anycubic.com/collections/halloween/products/photon-mono-4k

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Is that a scratchbuild? Or a mod of an existing kit maybe?

If you like the ship Trumpeter has a 1/200 version of it and the sister ship the HMS Rodney.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-03708-hms-nelson--843264

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am super interested in the future of model boats and the proliferation of easy to use cnc machines. I have a glowforge and looking at most model kits, they don't have any wooden components that I could not make and cut out in a few hours. I also have an FDM and MSLA 3d printer, so could print out the detail bits that have odd shapes, like the ornate carvings for the stern gallery or the figurehead. Most of the other components of a model ship kit is various wood stock. A lot of the brass fittings are mass produced and common between all model ship kits. I understand that the majority of the price of the kit goes towards the research, prototyping, and development of a kit.

Midwest did make a great product for probably a small audience, I had a few of their kits and they were great. I wonder if I could make something similar and sell it on Etsy. A lot of their easier kits did not have any metal fittings except oarlocks and other bits so it would not necessarily be too hard to replicate. Is Midwest completely out of business or did they just stop selling their boat kits?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe I will reach out to midwest and see if they are interested in an arrangement to bring back a small run of their kits.

The glowforge and the 3d Printers have really been an amazing help to my hobbying. Instead of fiddling with photo etch to make a 1/200 pom pom anti aircraft gun I can just print one out! I still try to do the photo etch to improve my modeling skill, but it is quite a relief knowing that if I ruin it I can just print one out that looks perfect.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Seeing a bunch of wooden ship kits at ludicrously low prices in ebay, such as:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195485037899

- I assume they're terrible knock offs? Worth a punt at $10 maybe?

Yeah, definitely a knock-off. What they do is just buy an established kit and copy the sprues for the wood pieces. This kit looks like it doesn't come with any metal fittings or anything, just the wood. Most of the cost of a ship kit goes to the lengthy process of research and design, as opposed to materials. So while the kit is probably worth 10 bucks, it might be the case that it is being purchased at the expense of someone who spent a lot of time and effort on the kit, and that person is not being compensated.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

To give some scope on how easy it is, my glowforge can trace outlines and things, so it is trivially easy to replicate wooden parts sprues. Like if I get a new big wooden model kit it would take me just a few hours to duplicate everything, and then just order the strip wood for the other parts. Even without glowforge easy tracing option there are other trivially easy ways to copy the sprues. It is really sad actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Rustoleum Grey Primer works very, very well. As good as any spray primer from an expensive company. I have never had the same luck with white from them. For White I use Army Painter, as it seems to be ok cost and coverage wise. Rustoluem's whites just have really uneven coverage for models of the smaller to medium size.