Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Rythe posted:

We also wanted to turn a entire wall surface into a huge Lego brick using pieces of circle wood or a material that we can paint and some how attaching it to the wall to turn said wall into a giant Lego base plate. Does anybody have any experience with a design like this or how it is even possibly to get a ton of circles all the same size and shape to mimic the Lego brick designs?

You might check your local craft stores for pre-cut wood medallions. Depending on the scale, you can get a large dowel and just slice it into disks. If it's going to be really big, and out of reach of little fingers, you might be better off going with something like styrofoam to save on weight. You can get foam in all kinds of shapes and sizes, and it holds together with just glue. Be careful not to use hot glue or spraypaint though, or it'll dissolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Rythe posted:

Thank you for that information, a LED should be more than bright enough with out putting a ton of heat. I am thinking of making two different designs, one a square or pyramid with all clear block and a LED/Fluorescent bulb in the middle. Kinda of a super sweet night light design. The lamp and shade is going to take some trial and error to figure out the correct way or a good design to make it stable and most importantly awesome to look at. Maybe I'll take some of my electrician skills and come up with something pretty cool over all, if anybody has suggestion toss them out there, I'm stumped on the classic look right now.

If you GIS "Lego Lamp" there's a lot of examples to get ideas from. One that looks easiest is just to get a table lamp with a narrow base and build a vase-form around it with bricks. If you're worried about flammability and/or easy access to the bulb, you could stick with a regular lampshade and just put LEGO graphics on it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
My Walmart had a display of series 5(?) minifigs that caught my eye. Apparently someone had gotten tired of feeling the packages because several of them had been cut open and carefully taped shut. :psyduck: Not sure how they were just left on the shelf and not at least moved to the clearance aisle.

I grabbed a couple and ended up with a gangster and an aerobic girl, nobody seemed to be missing any parts or anything. I had sort of hoped that I would end up with a Frankenstein mashup of random bits, but oh well.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
There was an episode of Food Network Cake Challenge a while back, where some guy made Lego busts of the hosts, and the chefs had to replicate them in cake. Throughout, the Lego guy kept emphasizing "You can't use any curves, because Lego doesn't curve. Everything has to have right angles!" Which is more-or-less true technically but his "sculptures" all looked like they came out of Minecraft. Long story short, that cake is much better than anything on that episode.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I think someone in the Aliexpress thread recently bought a bootlego version?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Earth posted:

This is not intended as a flex, more of an example of the craziness that is Lego. My Lego collection can get a fairly nice used car. It's not that I've spent a ton on it, it's just the sets I have have increased in value so much over the time of me owning them. One example is I bought the Black Pearl for $150 and now it's selling for near $400 opened and built. Or another example would be I bought the the modular Town Hall for $200 and now it's selling for $1k because I haven't gotten around to building it and it's still sealed. Figs I've bought for $5 are going for $50 now... It was so much value I spoke with my insurance to ask them about collections and if I needed special insurance for it and they said no that it was covered under the basic insurance plan.

I have been collecting for at least two decades now, so like I said, not intended as a flex. If you'd have been regularly buying for that long your collection is probably in a similar shape and you should speak with your insurance too.

As an insurance agent, I would suggest you read your policy carefully. Yes, your Lego is probably covered, and doesn't have the same standard limits as say a coin collection. But it probably only falls under your general Personal Property limit unless you have purchased a scheduled rider. If your house burns down, make sure that limit is high enough to replace *everything* you own, from clothes to furniture to kitchen utensils to the "toys" in your collection. Or, get a rider/floater/whatever it's called in your local lingo for the specific appraised value of the collection.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Looks like there are arrows on the bottom-right images, implying that at least one of the leg joints is movable?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Carbohydrates posted:

The three boxes in the bottom right are interesting. One seems to show a tool stored behind the info plaque. The next two seem to show that tool being used to set the angle of the legs. So adjustable, but only with the tool? Perhaps it's something like a worm gear mechanism to hold the geared joints in place.

Ooh, yeah that would make sense. More pose-able than play-able, but it would be a big bonus imo if it's not completely static. Especially if you can raise it enough for a stepping-on-snowspeeder vignette.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

MaliciousOnion posted:

It looks like it was made for that spot.

The white-bordered Jack looks like an afterthought, though :(

I have James Cameron poisoning, when you mentioned the Jack in the prow of the Titanic I looked for a minifig.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The Bloop posted:

Perhaps the frame could be continued/ extended horizontally under the bottom scene

Fwiw, I think it looks a lot better sitting there than just hanging out in space with that massive gap between the foreground and background. Probably also true if you have a wall space that can't really be seen from the side. It's not the depth so much as the gap I don't like upon further reflection

I saw a version online that I now can't find, where they extended the town even further horizontally with a couple little streets full of houses, and left off the frame, and honestly thought it looked good, with the X and Y axes more balanced and purposeful.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Ok I was impressed. Then I saw "age: 9" and I was really impressed.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Can you make it a vignette, like Bender-on-the-couch, to sneak in some support that way?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Captain Invictus posted:

I have this lego set! it is an amazing set, complete with a hubble space telescope! do not ship things this way!!!

it's hard to tell from the photos, besides the obvious general damage to the box, but it had been STOMPED TO poo poo, seriously just mangled to hell, wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of pieces were straight up broken in there. hadn't torn open(yet), but it definitely got super battered in transit and no doubt by various loaders along the way.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cojawfee posted:

I'm worried that I'm too stupid to understand the Jazz Club.

You have to be able to appreciate the bricks that aren't there.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Infinitum posted:

gently caress you Lego, there is no more room in my house

Build a new house.

E: out of LEGO.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Will it fit the baby spaceman?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Next time mods wanna do an April Fools prank they should arrange a takeover of TCC and make all the posts about Lego.

quote:

I ordered cheap generic from a shady Chinese website! Trip report: some parts were kinda rough but overall an enjoyable few hours.

quote:

Been Staring at Starry Night for Hours, What Even Is the Color Blue

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

deoju posted:

While I'd love more LOTR/Hobbit sets, I can't think of any location that would make a great set. Hogwarts makes sense to make, 80% of the movies take place there. LOTR/Hobbit bounces around Middle Earth so much.

I mean I wouldn't say no to a Minas Tirith that was a reasonable size to display on a shelf in my office.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Waltzing Along posted:

LEGO never put those sets in shrink wrap. I think baseplates and some of thoese older board games had it. But back in the 80s? None. That, afaik, has never changed. Someone else put the shrink wrap on it.

Given the price stickers, I'd assume the retailer did it. Maybe as an anti-theft measure?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Habibi posted:

Can't wrap my mind around thinking the official version does any aspect of this better. 🤷🏻‍♂️

When I first looked at that photo, I thought the official version (the "before") was the one on the left. So I kinda agreed until I clicked through and watched the guy's video.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Lizard Combatant posted:

How does this not have 20% more pieces and look 200% better?

It's almost cool enough to want just as a mech without caring about Marvel.

e: uh is that r/LEGO unavailable for anyone else?

Most of Reddit is shut down right now in protest of the upcoming API/app changes.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Why is the Disney princess Death Star not an official set yet?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Carbohydrates posted:

oh hell yeah swap the 4x4 dish at the top for the 3x3 dish at the bottom tho

ANYWAY I'm making a van because I've never made a van, and I haven't made a sand blue car yet either! It's a '69 Dodge A100.

The question is, what should it be hauling in the back? It's wide open back there, and though it would be hard to see through the windows, it might be fun to have some kind of easter egg back there for shows and events (so please don't recommend "nazi cocaine" for instance). Space is about 4 x 6 studs by 9 plates tall.

Make it a camper van? Bedroll, portable grill, little camp toilet, that kind of thing?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
The image cut off the continuation of the line where it says "...after midnight."

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Flyinglemur posted:

One day a few years ago my mom casually dropped that she rode the Concorde across the Atlantic. This is very out of character for our family's social...everything. I told her she might be misremembering, but then she went and got a matchbook and the safety brochure from it. A summary of the story:

-she was 18 and was leaving Avon, SD for the first time in her life on her way to Turkey, where my dad was stationed
-she didn't know what the big deal was
-she thought the plane was small and "creepy looking"
-she still doesn't know what the big deal was

Well that's my Concorde story

She is 100% the only person from Avon, of all places, to have flown the Concorde.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Waltzing Along posted:

It's the Mrin Codex.

poo poo, where'd I put that orb, it was just here.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

some kind of small pastry

Smh it's like nobody in this thread recognizes a common brushtail possum when they see one.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

GlenMR posted:

I definitely agree, but if I see the number 8880, I can't pretend I don't get a powerful longing.

Same but 80085.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The_Doctor posted:

The kids today are weirdly puritanical online. They’ll go into adult spaces and demand people don’t discuss adult topics. Like??? No???

I will talk about property taxes and sciatica wherever I drat well please, you whippersnappers!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Borsche69 posted:

Insane price

You are buying a goat with some bricks as a GWP.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

HootTheOwl posted:

There's got to be a way to replace the sun and make it less ugly

Not supposed to stare directly at the sun anyway.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Those're some drat fine houses.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

where are dungeons located? under castles

Honestly I would be pretty stoked for a ruined castle set with a multi-level dungeon underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Brawnfire posted:

"Captain... How do we stop? We've landed but we're not stopping."

"Lieutenant, extend the poles."

*two meters-long ski poles extend from the hull, gracefully slowing the craft*

"poo poo, is it pizza or french fries? I can never remember!"