Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
In the UK we sometimes refer to earlier eras by the reigning monarch of that time, i.e. Elizabethan or Victorian period, how do Americans refer to the past, and what about other countries too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The other day I was walking down a closed railway line which is now a footpath, after about a mile I saw a leg from what I think was a deer at the side of the path, this scared me a little because I don't know what kind of animal can pull the leg off a deer, or what kind of threat it poses to me, a person.
I'm in the UK what animal(s) could do this, and would I be safe from them, and could I [legally and/or realistically] defend myself with a penknife against the beast?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Ruby got Railed posted:

edit: and yeah, finding out what they want with it will be done, just my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders at 7am when I found it

That's why they left the brain for you. Please explain why a dude has brains in his car.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Ruby got Railed posted:

Few weeks ago, one of her daughters came home for Christmas and more and was driving the car. Apparently during that time someone gave it to her, and when she went back on on monday she either forgot to pack it or realized that packing a box-o-brains for an overhead bag might not be a great idea

So, I present to you, 73-225 HYDRANENCEPHALY

So your wife's aunt's daughter is what some kind of medical student?
Really all I've picked up is who had the brain. It sounds like she received a lovely christmas present? Why did someone give her the box-o-brain, and who gave it to her?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Gravity Pike posted:

A friend brought over a bottle of red wine, and drank like half of it. I don't drink much wine myself; how long until it goes "off"? Would it be worth saving a week or two until I see them again, or should I finish it off sooner than that because it'll have gone bad by then?

Obviously there are minor variances in the particular wine and people's tastes, but I've usually found that more than 24 hours after opening, red begins to taste like vinegar.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

fuckpot posted:

I am entering a chicken wing eating contest.

http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/article.php/20120113-Yardbird_Death_Sentence_Wings

Now I have heard a million different stories regarding the ideal preparation for this sort of thing. Advice ranging from eat nothing to have a big lunch and even suggestions of invoking voodoo loving magic.

Can someone definitively tell me the best way to prepare for this? I am not really a massive eater but I can chow it down if the situation requires and I loving love hot chicken wings soo much. I am pretty handy when it comes to spicy food so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Make sure you're familiar with any rules so you don't end up disqualified.

Any body fat you have basically acts as a girdle preventing stomach expansion, so don't be surprised if the winner is a pretty lean person. I'm not a professional eater, but I once ate a pretty big pizza and 4 quarter pounders the best advice I can give you is eat when you normally would but eat smaller amounts, I think starting the day before so your bowel and bladder aren't full. You may want to drink plenty of water in the week leading up though as it might get your stomach used to being stretched.

If you're allowed, tear the food before putting it in your mouth, this means you spend less time having to chew. Perform stretches beforehand this may make you feel a little more comfortable. Try and have a couple of practice sessions too.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
My grandparents had a cool chair thing which you can carry with you, and it pokes into mud and unfolds, handy for events and such that you go to and find a field with no seating, like fireworks displays or airshows, what are they called?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

VROOM VROOM posted:

I think you're talking about camp(ing) chairs.

Thanks, that's a pretty neat chair but it's not what I'm thinking of, it's kind of like a half javelin with a sling on top, a bit like a hammock for your rear end.
I've tried to draw one they're quite light and easy to carry as you can tie it to a rucksack or whatever.

edit: VVVV That's it! That's it!

Crankit fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 26, 2012

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Torka posted:

How important is gravity to digestion, if at all? Would eating upside down impede the process of food through the esophagus and GI tract, or is it all based on muscular contractions that don't need gravity's assistance?

Pooping upside down would be problematic, here's a video about space-toileting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1wwzwvfsC0 I think with gravity working against you, getting it all out might be difficult. (receiving)

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

razz posted:

Question- How do dentures work? I mean, what if you have some teeth left? Do you have to get them all removed to get dentures? I just heard a dentures commercial on the radio and it got me wondering.

The teeth parts of dentures are attached to a plate that fits the roof of the mouth, if you have some teeth of your own I think they leave a gap at the edge of the plate. It's all pretty much moulded into one piece of plastic. (This is all based on seeing grandpas teeth one time, so may not be 100% accurate)

Also we'll know the truth when you make a post about your friend's "mouf" hurting and some "teef" missing.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Most emoticons I kinda understand or get, but I'm not really sure what :v: represents, can someone explain?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

hooah posted:

How come you use a double slash? I've never seen that before.

Double slashes, double parentheses, and a random capitalised word?
This person is insane, do not look their posts directly in the eye.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Black Noise posted:

Monoammonium phosphate

I once set off a powder extinguisher in my bedroom, it was a pretty unpleasant experience, but http://www.ehow.com/how_4812206_up-after-using-fire-extinguisher.html basically describes the steps I used to clean up. I don't know whether it was the same chemical though.

If that doesn't work, I think the elemental opposite to fire extinguishing powder is Fire, so you may want to try getting rid of it with fire?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

TheAngryDrunk posted:

What are the quickest/best free .pdf readers these days?

I like one called SumatraPDF
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

There's Foxit, but I understand it has nearly as many bugs/exploit as regular Adobe Reader.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Golbez posted:

Versus scenario 5:
Auction starts at $1.
1 day out: Someone else bids. They are now winning with a bid of $2.
5 seconds out: You bid $100. They are now winning with a bid of $101.
End result: You lose.

The simple fact of the matter being you have no way of knowing which way it's going to go, so why not just shed the stress and make a sane bid and be done with it?

I just want to clarify, it sounds like you can't see why someone would want the "stress" of saving $30 on a winning bid?
Apparently because in the case they don't win a bid the outcome is the same?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

haveblue posted:

Because there's no way to make saving $30 more likely to happen, so doing a bunch of meaningless actions to convince yourself that you did is a waste of time and effort. Why do you think sniping software is now very rare and unreliable? It's a dead field because demand dried up because eBay killed it.

We can make up different scenarios with different outcomes until the cows come home but eBay does not give you enough information to figure out which scenario applies to a given auction until it's over, and obsessing over something you have no real power to change causes stress.

Do you also apply this logic to wearing a seatbelt in your car?
After all you can't change the probability of having a crash, why stress over wearing a seatbelt.

The answer of course is that it gives you an improved outcome despite the fact you can't control which outcome occurs.

The point of sniping software is that it allows you to engage the sniping strategy without the stress of having to login to ebay and bid during the last minute of an auction. The sniping strategy only works in the scenario that previous bidders would be willing to up their maximum bid upon receiving an email from ebay telling them they have been outbid. In all other cases the outcome is equal.

People are susceptible to increasing their bid when they receive that email, this is sometimes calling bidding fever or a bidding war; it occurs because some people are not economically rational. However by applying an economically rational strategy at the last moment of bidding on an item you gain an advantage over these people.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Mak0rz posted:

I don't mean to be a pedant, but smell is also very important for communication in animals, humans included.

Is this a reference to the infamous Dutch Oven Theory of Sexual Selection? I thought Darwin really lost track of things after Origin Of Species.

Is there a version of the Bible written in normal English that people use today, or is the translation one of those contentious things?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Wagonburner posted:

haha, that quote popped into my head a few days ago and I didn't know what it was from never would've guessed the bible.

I'm guessing you saw it on TV or heard it on a podcast, maybe it was on SA, because in the last few days I heard it/saw it.

Thanks Install Gentoo, that's really helpful.

e: VVVV Aha, that must be what caused me to wonder and ask the question :downs:

Crankit fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 5, 2012

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
If all the aliens in star trek are speaking their own language that is being universally translated, how come they have different voices? Would they keep their voice going from ship to ship or whatever?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
In what is possibly the best song of all time, Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus, the singer describes someone as "wearing a two way" but he's not quite sure what that means. It transpires that after all this time I too do not quite know what this means. What does, or did, it mean to "wear a two way"?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

when worlds collide posted:

Does that fit? I've never heard the song.

Possibly it does, the song never goes into detail as to what the "two way" was nor even how it was worn, I had previously imagine it was perhaps a piercing or radio. He does mention that she's cooler than he is, this underwear you mention does sound like it has less material than expected and could thus leave the wearer cooler.

Thankyou when worlds collide, I think you have solved my mystery.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Wagonburner posted:

And the Teenage dirtbag is cool but you're thinking of Girl all the bad guys want by Bowling for Soup.

I think I'm going to have to take a step back and have a look at my life, look at what I've become, I can't believe I'm the monster that has made this mistake.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Looks a bit like a dock leaf, can you try getting stung by a nettle, then rub that on it and see if the sting improves?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I seem to be suffering from that moment where you wonder what you were just about to do. I don't know if everyone experiences that, but it's that feeling of just having forgotten what you went into a room for. Is this normal and how often does it happen to people on a day to day basis?

Do those books I sometimes see about becoming a memory genius over night work, and would they help with this?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

onionradish posted:

It's normal.

Well, I don't just get it in the instance of my doorways, sometimes it happens when I stand from sitting and I don't remember why I stood up, or sometimes I grab my notebook or open a new browser window, and I realise I don't know why, I wanted to have some idea of how frequently normal people have this as I'm beginning to think I have a problem.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I get this all the time too, like many multiple times a day. My therapist says it's not actually normal for people in their 20's to have it all the time and may be part of a general overall pattern of "attention regulation issues." :sweatdrop: I get around it by repeating whatever it is that I need to do in my head until I do it. If I'm going to the closet to get more toilet paper, I mentally say "toilet paper toilet paper toilet paper" until I get there. That helps. Usually.

Thanks, I'm in my late 20s I will try this method, assuming I don't forget it before I go to remember something.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

alnilam posted:

:eng101: (Non-fruiting) pear trees used to be hugely popular (poplar :rimshot:) street trees, but they are falling out of favour due to:
funky smell in the spring

They smell like :gizz:, don't get one.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Do coffee machines at home make sense?
I like to have a nice cup of coffee but at the moment it seems like my options are: instant coffee which typically isn't that great, or ground coffee in my cafetiere which takes time to brew and makes more coffee than I'm likely to drink without it going cold.

I used to work at a place with a machine that you put little pouches into and it would make espresso, latte, hot chocolate and some other stuff. I've seen home coffee machines but I don't know if they're any good or hugely expensive or inflexible etc

Are they any good, massivley expensive, other?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The path/driveway outside my house is a brick/flagstone/concrete combo which gets extremely slippery when it's wet, it's some kind of moss and slime combo, what's the best way to kill the moss and slime without killing the grass and make it non slippery?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Centzon Totochtin posted:

It's a Lenovo Ideapad Y560. Current ram is 4GB (2 X 2GB) PC3-8500 DDR3 1067MHz SDRAM SODIMM Memory, and I'm looking at this from the newegg sale.

I found a user guide for your laptop model here:
http://download.lenovo.com/UserFile...uide%20V1.0.pdf

Chapter 6 has a section on how to replace the memory, it looks pretty straightforward, as long as you ground yourself properly before touching the ram or laptop I don't think there's much you can do wrong (but also try to be gentle).

HOWEVER Crucial suggests your laptop may only be able to take 8GB maximum ram
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=IdeaPad%20Y560%20%28All%20Types%29&Cat=RAM

Crankit fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 3, 2012

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Sometimes when I'm seated (such as on a chair) I'm not very comfortable, sometimes I get a sore bum or back. Not only that but also office chairs have small wheels which tend to dig into my rug and almost trap me at my desk as I can't get sufficient grip with my feet.

I was thinking is a wheelchair more comfortable that normal chairs, those disabled guys sometimes spend a lot of time on them so I expect they're comfy, and also the wheels are bigger than a normal office chair so it would solve my chair problems. Are wheelchairs actually more comfortable than office chairs or is that a television myth?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I think I saw it on Ironside, I'm not sure. It made sense to me at the time because it's leather stretched between to pieces of metal and I figured it'd be like a hammock for my arse.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I've noticed that food in my refrigerator isn't staying fresh quite as long as it should. Two separate thermometers say the internal temperature is between 16 and 20 c. After clearing everything out and defrosting the temp is staying the same but some milk I bought lasted the night. I'm beginning to think the thermometers are just off. Would milk really keep for 12 hours at that temperature?

Please describe step by step how you are measuring your fridge temperature, those temps don't sound right, and I'm thinking there's some experimental error here.

Also as per above there are things like UHT milk which don't require refrigeration in order to avoid spoilage.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I bought two different thermometers because I didn't quite believe the first one but they both read the same temperature. I'm just setting them in the refrigerator, different shelves get slightly different readings but they're all in the same ballpark. I'm having somebody come out to take a look at it eventually but that's complicated by reasons not worth going into. I thought the milk might be a sanity check. It's not the ultra-long shelf life stuff that you can keep in your cupboard. It might be some whiz-bang packaging though. It looks normal but this is Switzerland and they take milk seriously. It expires on the 10th of August which seemed a little far in the future but I've never really paid that much attention to be honest.

Well, I was a bit surprised as those temps are what my house usually is, I assume the thermometer is the kind that you would immerse in water to measure its temp as opposed to say those thermometers you point at things. Might try leaving a small glass of water in ther overnight with the thermometer in it. Also have a look at the seal on the door and see if any of it looks squashed from having closed on something?

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't UHT need to be refrigerated after opening?

Uh yes :shobon:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
When will someone invent protein pill meals or whatever was in that song Major Tom?

That sounds pretty convenient and would make days out or surviving an apocalypse super easy.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I don't own a printer but I want to print a handful of webpages (mostly recipes) and maybe bind them, what's the best place/way to get this done, I'm in the UK.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Hoops posted:

What do you mean raw? It's a sauce, it's made of herbs and mayonnaise.

What you don't cook sauces and condiments before using them on food?
The other day I had a hotdog but I wanted mustard on it, so I put the mustard in the toaster on the maximum browning setting, hotdog was cold when I ate it but at least I didn't get sick.
My uncle on the other hand, he ate some fries but didn't cook his ketchup, now he ain't around no more.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Some swimming pools don't allow you to wear short and you have to wear speedos, I think it's mostly a french thing, but why does that exist as a rule?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
This lowkey business, could it be some kind of iPhone auto-correct mistake?
I looked at some of those tweets and something about themmade me think it's a word being misspelt and then the spell checker loving it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

baquerd posted:

Sure, you'll just need to put in in diagonally.

But then when the thing spins and the whirring noises start, there will be other more clangy noises and then to add insult to injury, the food won't be heated evenly.

The Microwave guy needs a Tardish.