Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Wow, lots of folks from Bolton, I didn't know there was so many of us on here. When is that episode of Cops airing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I really disliked Ashes to Ashes through out its run. The story telling is muddled and amateur and the ending is a massive cliche. They try to present their mythology in ways that outright contradict themselves and characters never act intelligently or realistically. It gets better, yes, but its always got the shadow of its beginning hanging around and the ghost of Life on Mars making you realise how poo poo and ill thought out it is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

N3RDSTER posted:

Holy poo poo. The second episode of My Super Sweet Sixteen just took it to the next level just on the gifts alone. They talked to some guests before the reveal and they all suggested a car or some mentally expensive jewellery. Personally I thought a car would be pretty stupid for a 16-year-old seeing as it wouldn't be driven by her for another year. Then it happened. The parents bought her a flat, a fully furnished luxury flat of her own.

I don't even know.

I'm not sure it's that unreasonable that they wanted her in a place of her own, so long as she's not in their house anymore I could see the appeal.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, good to hear that something being remade isn't causing massive levels of stroke enducing rage on the forums :).

No, My Little Pony inspired lots of rage on the forums and the thread got shut down. Some people decided they liked the show, wanted to chat about it and spread the word about a funny, well-meaning cartoon fit for the whole family and were doing perfectly okay until a bunch of dicks decided they should control what people watched and started making GBS threads up the thread for no reason other than being argumentative and condescending.

And as a perfect example of this, I present you;

Flatscan posted:

A large paedophile ring recently went under and many of the refugees ended up on SA.

Now, I wasn't even part of the thread (never watched the show) but poo poo like this is why we can't have nice things.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 9, 2011

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Matt Smith isn't very good live, bless him. This George Michael song is a joke right?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

cloudchamber posted:

Holy poo poo, that song is loving terrible.

The video for it was filmed inside your Username.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

"Do you think Richard Curtis would get out of bed for 10 dead kids?"

"Back in the 50s everyone had a stick."

"We want to give you £250, which might not sound like much but its more than the average African makes in a lifetime at the BBC cafeteria."

David Walliams is better in everything I've seen him in that isn't Little Britain or that god awful airport show.

Jimmy Carr on the other hand is pretty tiring.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 19, 2011

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

This Inbetweeners segment is pretty good. It's nice and simple and the guys chemistry is enough to keep me watching.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rarity posted:

Great. Because of this conversation I've now found a youtube channel with over 200 SMTV clips and am streamlining through them. There goes my weekend. Thanks a lot, guys.

Link? I didn't like how my weekend was looking anyway.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Szmitten posted:

I was always a Citv kid, but the one BBC thing I liked was their Demon Headmaster adaptations.

I used to like Ghost Hunter until it got into weird time travel stories.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

UnquietDream posted:

The worst thing about that show is that it ended right as they found the mothership. I mean that's a fantastic premise for a sci-fi show, 'All this cool and crazy stuff that we've been doing, has been done in a scout ship?'

Yeah, Aquila was awesome and the ending was the ultimate tease.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

You can stream live from iPlayer right?

I want to watch the new Sherlock tonight and I'm not at home.

How do you do it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Thanks everyone. The picture quality isn't that great, but it's better than nothing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So this is a good bit of fun that makes me like Channel 4 just that little bit more;

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/news/a361198/the-simpsons-gets-mispronounced-in-channel-4-intros-video.html

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

marktheando posted:

Though it's pretty hard to buy its outlandish 'the CIA are the good guys' premise.

This isn't the premise at all. It's much more complex and morally grey than that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The ITV Titanic miniseries is awful.

Now, any film or series based on the Titanic has a major obstacle, the James Cameron film. Normally multiple retellings of an historical story aren't a problem, after all there are lots of good, unique World War 2 films. However the Titanic is unique because the event itself is actually extremely limited in scope and the previous film is a cultural landmark, the highest crossing film ever, etc...

Now, the idea of making it as a TV series gets around both these issues. It gives you enough time to develop characters and events so the limited scope doesn't matter and enough time to move away from what's seen in the film and tell your own story while still covering the major beats. Awesome.

But ITV have made it a four hour mini-series with a constrained format. So... four hours minus adverts and credits brings the running time in at just over three hours, the same running time as the Cameron film, so you've immediately lost your unique angle of expanding the narrative beyond the capabilities of the film. Secondly they have caged in the format in a way only ITV could ever find appropriate.

You see each episode tells a self contained story, ending with the sinking of the Titanic but keeping the fate of that stories characters a mystery to be revealed in the fourth and final episode. This is an obvious attempt to make it a water-cooler program "Will they die or live?" the nation will cry... But that's turning a drama into the X-Factor. It's turning it into a round table discussion of fate, which, frankly is boring and dramatically restricting.

Only ITV has such little faith in its viewers as to have each episode end with the disaster and hamstring them along with a glorified game of "Who dies in this version."

On a more micro-level the writing is loving atrocious. I watched the episode today and from that I saw a few heavy handed allusions to the disaster before it took place.

The worst was when a sailor was told he couldn't serve on the Titanic and bemoaned how disappointed his mother would be, to which the Captain replied, while staring directly into camera; "I'm sure your mother will forgive us one day."

It might as well have been a little cue card telling the audience not to worry as the ship still sinks in this version of the story and they better not forget it, otherwise their slack jaw might hit the TV remote and accidently stumble upon some better TV elsewhere on the magic box infront of them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Handsome Dead posted:

As soon as I hear BBC's Original British Drama declaration, I know to switch off. I think Luther is the closest thing to a good drama the BBC have produced in as long as I can remember.

I really enjoyed Shadowline, but the ending was a bit weak.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

They changed Pointless?

Pointless is amazing, I hope the changes aren't too drastic. The old format was pretty awful though, so maybe the changes they have made are for the better, but...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

At the hospital Jeanine has an emergency caesarean with Michael in the room, and the baby is delivered without a heartbeat. Michael is clearly more attached to the baby then he realised, and when they revive the baby the last shot is the premature baby hooked up to various machines and Michael asks himself "What have I done?".

I think it speaks for EastEnders general gutter of loving upset that I thought that worked out much more jolly than I imagined it would.

Let's have to some Hollyoaks chat instead, that's always nice and insane for a couple of pages while we try to decipher if the descriptions are real or a clever lampoon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

AuguryOwl posted:

Also Mitzeee (yes, it's spelt with 3 e's), is in love with her nephew or cousin or whatever, named Riley. The point is, they're related, but no-one seems to care.

You see, that's the kind of baby I'd expect to be premature. EastEnders is lagging behind.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Apologetically and remorseful for the most part. Seemed to be in good spirits. Louis Spence nearly ruined it by being himself.

I wouldn't mind either of those people completely vanishing from my screens, especially Carr.

AuguryOwl posted:

Also, Hollyoaks won 9 awards at the Twitter Soap Awards, including best soap. I think that's pretty impressive.

Is this what it sounds like?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

What do you hate about Carr?

I've just never found his jokes or his delivery of them to be funny, and on something like 10 O'Clock Live I find that he actively ruins my enjoyment of the show.

I thought that was actually a pretty universal opinion here to be honest.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

netally posted:

Hollyoaks always had people dying on their wedding day. Did they ever have a wedding that was vaguely normal and dull?

I'd love it if a soap decided to have a Christmas episode, with a wedding, that was actually pleasant and peaceful. It would be a genuine loving shock at this point.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

AuguryOwl posted:

Hollyoaks promos are always unintentionally hilarious.

Normally my thought process upon seeing an Hollyoaks promo is;

'Oh, this show looks cool, I wonder why I haven't heard of... Oh, it's just loving Hollyoaks.'

I guess in that sense they are incredibly effective, I just happen to be too jaded for them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Double Happiness posted:

Did anyone catch Panorama last night? It was about the lives of residents of a really deprived estate in Blackburn. The whole thing weirdly came across as quite heartwarming, yet quite mean-spirited (the lingering shot of the "Doner Kebab pizzas" the family were buying from Iceland seemed a bit "HAHA POOR PEOPLE LOL").

I grew up on that estate, so I definitely watched it, looked about the same to me. The main thing I took away from the episode was wondering if their were many North West goons, or even any from Blackburn. I know the idea of a Northern goon meet has been thrown around before.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Noreaus posted:

I despise Sarah Millican's act. Despise! :argh:

Yeah, she's like nails on a blackboard to me. I'll skip this episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I felt so old for a moment when I thought there was someone posting here who didn't know Mr. Blobby.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'm not really sure where to post this so I just thought I'd mention that I'm not excited at all for Misfits this year and thus won't be making the thread this go around.

It's up for grabs.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yeah, I'm going to have to chip in with those folks saying they aren't fans of QI. I find the entire thing to be really dry and boring, compared to other panel shows, with anything interesting or laugh worthy usually spaced really far apart. It doesn't help that the majority of the panelist they pick for it are people I find annoying or, even worse, bland and forgettable.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jawidar posted:

Nah, it's Brian from My Parents are Aliens :v:

Even better!

I used to love that show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

How are people getting AdBlock to stop the 4OD ads?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

If Peep Show ended with Jez and Dobby moving in together, leaving Mark to live alone as a broken man, I'd actually think it was the perfect ending.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

My Dad ended up spanking me because I went on like a horrible dick for the Blue Peter Tracy Island components :cry:

That's awful. I hope he didn't have a thunder of a slap, otherwise your rear end would've been left scarlet afterwards. A spanking like that can really sting.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Regarding the Tarantino interview I think Murphy came across as a real confrontational dick. He's clearly opposed to the violence on screen, using words like twisted to describe the violence, asking why supposedly normal people would be attracted to violence on film, and why Tarantino is attracted to making violent films; does he enjoy it?

It's a lovely interview, and good on Tarantino for pointing out that he was basically leading him into a sound bite quote, especially when he has hundreds of articles and professionally written articles about the subject.

"He has a responsibility to his fans" to explain why he makes violent films?

Then, Murphy offers a lovely olive branch by saying he enjoys Tarantino's films (which is the first time in the interview that he doesn't address viewers of the films as a distant group) he becomes entirely confrontational and implies that Tarantino is getting worse with age.

gently caress that.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 12, 2013

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

I thought Inglorious might be his best work.

Ditto. I don't think the majority of people agree with that statement.

Django is amazing, and oscar nominated.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Rebranding day! Wheeeeeee!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDuBEO9Mt3A

They're not entirely bad, and at least the news studio isn't the ghastly bumblebee pattern yellow and black any more. I particularly like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bdt6OuTVvU

Holy poo poo, I actually like these more than I thought I would.

Have ITV managed to do something that wasn't a complete disaster?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Double Happiness posted:

Can someone explain to me why everyone in this thread hates Doug Stanhope?

He's an unfunny comedian. That's a pretty good reason, isn't it?

But, yeah, sarcasm aside I think most people just don't like his act. I personally find his delivery really grating and any show he's on just grinds to an unfunny halt when he's on. I was glad when he killed himself any way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Semprini posted:

I think there may be a 3rd group involved. The bad guys we've seen so far already know the manuscript exists because they saw Grant nick it from them.

I'm fairly sure she's heavily implied to be calling Miriam, the same MI5 woman that The Tramp was in touch with via phone box. They even used the exact same design of phone box so as to deliberately reference that scene.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrHat posted:

It sounds like the kind of thing I might enjoy, if it wasn't presented by bloody Brian Cox! He's just too irritating for me to get passed.
Ohh and why the hell does the BBC hire a particle physicist to talk about biology?

Shockingly he's actually reading from a script in all of his programs, so his area of expertise isn't all that important.

What is important is that his career as a presenter has actually been very successful, given that most people like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

...Patrick Moore, David Attenborough to name two quickly off the top of my head.

One of those is dead.