Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

89 Canadian Dollars for 3x a week plus yoga 1x a week. (And if I was crazy, kickboxing 3x a week, jits another 2x a week, and wrestling 3x a week)

A few browns, and a few purples, and blues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Biafraid posted:

So I'm entering my first BJJ competition next Saturday. Apart from a bit of last minute training/rolling (I'll go to about 4-5 90 minute classes in the days until then), is there anything in particular I should do/avoid doing to prepare? I've been at it for about 6 months, should I try to cram as much BJJ knowledge as possible into my head (reading the poo poo out of my roommate's copy of Jiu Jitsu University, for example)? I'm not too concerned about my weight, I'm 3 lbs under the limit for the class I'll compete at. Anything you can offer that'll reduce my chances of being on the receiving end of an rear end-kicking would be much appreciated.
My buddy used to wrestle in high school and did pretty darn well in provincial competitions, should I get him to teach me how to double/single leg some bitches?

Treat it as a high-stress learning environment. You'll learn all about how (not to) properly warm up before you step on to the mats, how to totally gas do extremely well against a 100% resisting opponent. You will also realize what you are good and what you are not good at, as well. It is an amazing experience, and win/lose/draw/mangling, you'll have a blast.

If you absolutely have to get some advice, it would be this "try to stay relaxed, as impossible as it is, and if you're fighting people the same experience level as you - they're as gassed as you are!"

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 9, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

awkward_turtle posted:

A really basic write up of some standard wrestling takedowns. I obviously know folkstyle shooting stuff better than Greco or Freestyle, if anyone want to add anything be my guest.

Double: A shooting take down in which the offensive wrestler bends his lead leg to hange levels and penetrates under the opponent, capturing both legs at the knee and placing himself under the hips. To finish he will drive on the back leg and turn the opponent around his neck to take him to the mat. Countered with the sprawl.

High Single: A shooting take down either on it own, or off a failed double. The offensive wrestler takes control of the opponents lead leg above the knee and lifts it from the mat to his own chest. From here there are multiple finishes, with the most common being to “hike” the leg and turn to drop the opponent to the mat.

High Crotch: A shooting takedown in which the wrestler penetrates under the opponent to gain control of one leg and the hips. Diverse finishes based on opponent reaction, including switching to the Double and taking the back.

Inside Trip: A clinch takedown in which the wrestler wraps his opponents leg from the inside and drives toward the trapped leg.

Headlock: A clinch takedown in which the wrestler encircles the opponents neck and arm with his own arms, performs and cross step, pivots, and throws the opponent with his hips as a fulcrum.

Twisting Body Lock: A clinch takedown in which the wrestler achieves superior control over the opponents body, locks his hands, and lifts him from the mat and to the side to take him down.

Are arm drags considered takedowns/are they prevalent at high level? They are definitely one of my favorites. What about the shoulder throw? That's something you learn pretty early on in wrestling, do you not?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Yup. Lots of takedowns off armdrags here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYKMJjzkQ14
I know I've posted it a million times but I'm gonna post it every time it's relevant

That was the video I was thinking of, thanks Cort!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

con posted:

I am not sure what you mean by shoulder throw?

This kinda thing:
http://youtu.be/N8SW9pyBYdU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Guys with judo backgrounds in predominately jiu jitsu tournaments are awesome. There's always that dude who spends the day tossing blue belts and then getting submitted, but all anybody ever remembers are the sweet, sweet throws.

Ahhh, the Tin Cup stratagem. Works every time! It's true, land a big throw, and everyone will remember you for pinwheeling dude onto their head.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Grifter posted:

I want to see these, mostly because I have no idea how they work.

Shazam! A hip cradle, apparently:

http://bcove.me/9oqfhg3y

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

fawker posted:

Huh, I think Eddie Bravo calls that a Banana split, or something like that. I remember Mayhem trying to pull this off on Jake Shields and failing during his fight.

Yeah, I was super pumped to find out what a hip cradle was, and it turned out into a banana split :(

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Probablydeceased posted:

I got bitten by the BJJ bug in a big way, and have just signed myself up for a school in Sydney. I am only able to make one 2 hour class a week due to work, and was wondering what, if anything I can do at a regular gym that will help my grappling.

Increase your grip strength. Do more squats. It's really hard to say, other than "Do more grappling" which you can't do.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Stuck in Elevator posted:

I have my first BJJ tournament on Sunday, a white-belt only comp where there are 17 guys in my weight class (76kg) so I should get a ton good experience under my belt from it.

Have been training solidly for two months but due to being one of the smaller guys at my gym it'll be interesting to see how I get on with fighting people my weight. Hoping as well that I'll get a chance to use my judo background, but I'm sure people will just pull guard, any tips to avoiding this?

Echoing Fatherdog, people are going to pulling guard on you, especially if you pinwheel a dude onto their head early. You might want to also consider avoiding throws that expose your back, depending on how proficient you are with them. Nothing is worse than scoring an ippon, only to be choked out because there are no ippons in BJJ (only a measly 2 points for a takedown). Don't focus 100% on getting a throw, to the exclusion of making sure that you can improve your position when it hits the ground.

If you have good ashi-waza, I would suggest those, you'll destroy most BJJ newbs with your superior foot sweeping skills/grip fighting skills.

Regardless, have fun and learn from the experience!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

hopper2k posted:

I competed in a very small tournament this past Saturday. Here is my one match in my division, as it was only me, my teammate, and my competitor. He was very tough, choking me from all angles, but I came through on points. I felt good overall, considering I was on the defense the entire time. I am in the white gi.

http://youtu.be/FUutzbbudIg

That was really good!

Unless you have a superlative guard, I really feel that most people shouldn't pull guard. When you pulled guard, you had to do all that extra work of defending the choke and sweeping him to get on top. Once you had top position, the world was your oyster, and it looked like you had a much easier time of things.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Well, there's two sides to that - once you get to blue and purple, you're getting into the areas where you can be fighting guys with serious wrestling and/or judo experience, and at that point it's also not unreasonable to say that unless you have superlative takedowns, most people shouldn't try too hard to fight for one - if your opponent is one of the (many) people who will be exponentially better in that area, you'll have needlessly put yourself two points down, expended energy, and be on the bottom anyway.

One thing I do advocate is never just pull guard - because unless you really catch your opponent off guard they're going to do what hopper2k's opponent in the video did, get good grips and a knee in and have a headstart to passing (like I recommended to Stuck In An Elevator earlier in the thread). Shoot a double, and if they defend sit back to butterfly guard off their sprawl, shoot a single and pull deep half while you already have a good grip on the leg, attempt a tomoe-nage and recover to closed if they defend, etc, etc. All of those force your opponent to initially address something else so that when you do pull guard they aren't instantly setting up to pass and you can often put yourself in position to immediately sweep.

Good advice!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Good news, everyone!

I've gone from the guy at the club everyone can tap out to the guy at the club that mostly everyone can tap out!

This is awesome. Trust me, it may not seem like much, but you just watch when someone new comes through the door and you crush them into the dirt!

Keep it up!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Siamang posted:

Went to my second competition this Saturday. I was the only 154 pounder in my division(30+ white belt), and they merged me into 168. I won by sub in my first fight, then the match between two other guys ended in like two minutes and I wound up having to fight again right after that. Like an idiot I declined the offered 3 minute rest period, was too gassed to do anything right against a guy who hadn't fought yet and was in good shape, and lost the match on points. Still, it was a lot of fun, and once again the competitors were class acts.

I know these videos are laughably amateurish. I'm the short guy with black hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XG3IBOcC7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_a8uSCbV4A

(also goddamn, everyone has a coach and they're kind of annoying)

You had really good back control in that first match. Really good.

As for declining the rest period, what did you learn? (Always take the rest period, you paid for entry, so take all the time you can get)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mobn posted:

My favorite lower-percentage move was to start working a kimura from side control start walking my leg around the head, and then quickly throw my other leg over their body to switch it to a reverse armbar.

What's everyone else's favorite non-bread-and-butter sub?

I have no idea what it's called (someone called it a victory choke at a tournament), but you're in side control, hand under the head gable grips your other hand as you pinch your elbows together and choke them.

It's got a good surprise factor.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Rids! posted:

Rolling no-gi last night my opponent was inside my closed guard and had gripped around my head/arm (like someone might do from side-control) and I found that I couldn't sweep from that position, and he was stronger than me enough that I couldn't break his grip around my arm/head.

I was trying to duck his arm and take his back but couldn't get out from under. I couldn't escape my hips to the side because he had my shoulders pinned flat.
What should I have done?

I ended up sinking a triangle (but he was saved by the bell) but only because he eventually tried to pass guard. If he hadn't tried to pass I would have just been stuck there.

If his arm is under your head, can't you scoot out that way and take his back?
Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtIs-qpQnnM
Granted, it's from half-guard, but it still should apply.

EDIT:
then to break the grip:
[video type="youtube" start="199s"]/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WtATPMfk630[/video]
again, more or less - the framing should be able to bust your way out of there.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 18, 2012

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dear Grapplers, a math equasion:

Pride + Bad Technique + 10 seconds left in the round = Injury.

Mods please change my name to "Don't loving Cross your Ankles in Back Mount". Thanks!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

beadgc posted:

What happened? Did your opponent cross his legs over your feet and ankle lock you?
Sorry to hear about your injury :(

Yeah, this. I had a palm to palm choke while he was ankle locking me. I had one hook on the inner thigh, and the other hook was on the same leg, just on the outside (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B3eRddYiHH4#t=64s), and I thought about going to the body triangle. Just as I was thinking about that, I slipped the palm to palm choke and totally forgot about my feet (which then crossed). 10 seconds to go, I felt him give the ankle lock 100%, and then back off, and it wasn't too bad. With about 3 seconds to go, my coach told me to give it 100 on the choke, which added pressure to the system, and my ankle popped with about a second and a half to go.

I distinctly remember thinking to myself that I wasn't going to tap to the ankle lock.

It's not super bad, right now, still have most of the mobility, we'll see how this ends up two weeks from now. I can still walk on it, etc. Just frustrating stuff, I never usually cross my ankles in rear mount :(

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 29, 2012

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

Talking of rear naked chokes, anyone has a good video of step-by-step way to get the rear naked choke from back mount with over/under? I usually just wing it mixing stuff I learned with intuition, but there's probably some good step by step guide on how to proceed.

I usually end up doing the clock choke or something else involving collars once I get back mount.

Definitely have a look at the Kesting video. One bit of note, as my coach showed me, is that on his step "the tiger claw" he shortcuts the process a little too much. It might be difficult to get that hand all the way to the shoulder blade. Instead try to reach the tricep instead, and you can strip their hand and pull the choke tighter like kesting shows.

Also, Don't loving cross your ankles in rear mount (I'm sure you don't but I might as well harp on it while I'm out with my stupid crossing my ankles injury).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

BJJ gi's usually have narrower sleeves than Judogi's, from my experience. Isn't the skirt bit at the bottom of a gi different for each style too?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CivilDisobedience posted:

Achilles lock to heel hook to knee bar to half boston crab to reverse calf crusher to back take is literally the best progression.

Now I know what I'm gonna be teaching in class next week!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I think I have a problem.

I saw these on Facebook, and I immediately thought to myself "I wonder if I can get those my size to wear for grappling."

http://blackmilkclothing.com/collections/leggings/products/retro-gamer-leggings

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's a women's only line of leggings. But I was tempted by the musculature set myself.

Bah! I'm sure that I could fit into a large.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Iceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJX9QnrZtfc

This is loving awesome. Ryan Hall has been a dick to me in the past but usually he seems like a pretty cool dude.

Ryan seems like a very cool dude, and this confirms it. lovely to hear that he's been a dick to you.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

Xposting from the martial arts thread since I had no answer :

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Unisex-Gel-Wrestling-Knee/dp/B005ACKYZY

I used those ones, they are pretty decent. I should really get another pair, one of mine wore out a bit.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I'm trying to learn the double-leg. I've had different guys tell me that (1) you should change levels before taking your penetrating step and (2) you should change levels DURING your penetrating step.

Do you just choose which method to use based on the situation?

I thought that you change levels before you step.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

dokomoy posted:

In case you haven't heard there's some sort of Jiu Jitsu convention in Long Beach this weekend. If you're within driving distance you should probably go since Roger, Braulio and I think a couple other guys are giving free seminars.

There are also going to be a bunch of superfights streamed live.

Nick Diaz vs Braulio Estima(no-gi)
Kayron Gracie vs Rafael Lovato Jr(gi)
Victor Estima vs Kron Gracie(gi)
Nino Schembri vs Bill Cooper(gi)
Kyra Gracie vs Alexis Davis(does anyone know who she is?) (no-gi)
Caio Terra vs Jeff Glover(no-gi)

Brualio and Kyra are probably going to dominate their opponents, but the rest of the matches have the potential to be really good/close.

Also, the deadline for the IBJJF Long Beach open which is being held in conjunction with this had the registration deadline extended until midnight(pst) tonight.

Alexis Davis is a canuck that recently lost to another Canuck, Sarah Kaufman in a brawl on the Tate vs. Rousey strikeforce card.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 7, 2012

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

swagger like us posted:

Got impetigo/staph/whatever on my thigh the last few days, second time I've got it so Im going super anti-bacteria and I bought myself some Scramble spats. Didnt have the balls to get the rainbow ones, so I got the black ones instead. I figure I'll just wear them under my no-gi shorts for training. Im tired of this grossness and plus I always get mat burn and cuts cause I'm a hairy guy, so Im going full long sleeve rashguard and spats from now on. Anyone try these, like them, hate them?

I wear spats and shorts (although on special days and gold medal matches it's just spats). They are wonderful, and you are a tremendous chicken for not getting the rainbow ones. Depending on your mats, there's a few extra things you can do with spats on (like slide on your knees, which does happen from time to time), that would otherwise painful or impossible.

I've never gotten anything resembling an increased infection rate with wearing two layers. Lots of people wear rash guards and t-shirts, and I don't think that they have any problems either.

I think that TwistedNails doesn't want you to wear shorts so that you can show off your cool spats (and increase your swag factor).

Use your new found power responsibly.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Don't forget about carrots!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Do Jiu Jitsu folk wear cups? Because when I trained (if that's even the right word any more. When I attended classes and got constantly starched) I didn't ever do the Jiu Jitsu only classes but I have some bad memories of drilling arm bars with 320 pounds guys without cups. I don't like feelings alot of sack rubbed all over my body.

I do. Hate getting kneed/hit in the junk. It also prevents you from crushing your balls when you have terrible kneebars like I do.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I have a stupid question but I'd rather ask you guys than people in a gym I just joined.

I start back tomorrow after five years and I've always sucked at grappling. I know there is a lot of learning to be done but I had a problem before hand I know some of you may have encountered. I'm a 5 foot 11 guy who weights about 190. While I bet ten or fifteen pounds of that is flab that might fall off pretty soon, I'm bigger than most people I ever encounter at the gym. Anytime it comes to practicing takedowns, sweeps, arm bars, etc., I'm always horrified of hurting the other person. I never did contact sports until I got into fencing at seventeen years old. (I know that isn't a contact sport but you certainly hurt your opponent, alot.) Am I just over thinking this? Are people more durable than I give them credit for? I just never went "hard" in grappling because I was convinced I'd end up punting someone in the head or unintentionally hurting someone. I'm just worried I'm going to do more of the same by being timid that my sorta big guy frame might hurt someone.

Or I get paired up with the 300 pound monster who is a positively immovable object that is going to rub his balls on me.

I am basically your size, and you are over thinking it. If you are concerned that you might be spazzy (and everyone who starts is to a certain extent or another), just remember to breathe lots and focus on using technique over strength. You'll get into bad spots where you panic, do your best to relax as much as possible (this is hard, it gets easier with experience).

People are pretty durable, and any gym worth their salt should put you with some experienced people when you spar for the first time so you won't injure (however unlikely that may be) another new person.

Welcome to the club, my friend. You're going to have a great time!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yuns posted:

I have some weekend homework for you guys. Watch this video and consider the following questions.

https://youtu.be/pwbCEDBaWEM

1. Why would I NOT call this an arm in guillotine even though this instructor and others may disagree?

2. What is an alternative way to finish the choke from that final position other than the way the instructor shows i.e. is there a alternative way to squeeze for the finish?

1) call that an inverted anaconda choke. Same mechanism of submission as the anaconda, I reckon.

2) could you use a rear naked choke grip to finish? (just like a regular anaconda?)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I killed a favorite t-shirt the other day by accident so I'm taking rashguard suggestions. The thought of me wearing something skintight is terrifying but I don't want to rip up t-shirts.

I'm the definition of "stout" (I could lose ten or fifteen pounds but I'm tree trunk shaped) so if anyone has a comfortable suggestion I'll be all over it.

Also holy hell, one match for one hundred bucks?! I don't care if someone is loaded, that hurts my brain.

Don't forget about rashguards for your legs :getin:
https://www.scramblestuff.us/collections/spats-tights

These ones in particular never go out of style:

(Treasure trail not included.)

I've had the rainbow spats for about 6-7 years (Christ, I feel old now), and aside from some wear on the knees, and a small seam starting to come undone they have held up spectacularly well. I have a rotation of 4 spats now, and all of the scramble stuff...stuff has held up pretty dang well. I have a pair of black 1.0's (linked are the 2.0's so mine are older and not as good), and they have some wear on the knees.

Spats>rashguards. Get on it. They instantly make your foot lock game 100% more dangerous!

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 17, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Jesus I think I remember the post where you bought those...

Re competitions: killing a day waiting is what sinks it for me. It's just not OK to lose that much time for me

Goddammit, now we're both old, but at least we're in good company. :gbsmith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, my leg got pretty hosed and I didn't notice until waaaay later. I probably wouldn't have thought of magic grapple underpants until I lost a kneecap.

Have a disgusting picture I took when asking a friend if ice would help! I've never had a welt like I got below my knee.

It's fun being the "big guy" that gets paired with all the loving monsters in the gym. I'm used to gyms with at least a few people that look like they are there for physical fitness. Everyone at the gym that looks bigger than two bills is beastly.

Jesus, that bruising. Just remember, you ran into a door if anyone asks.

EDIT: the funniest thing about the grapple underpants is that I can unironically say that I was using them before they got cool (at least around my parts). It's me, I'm the grapple hipster.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I completely thought the near kevlar feel of the gi pants would prevent leg mangling. I need grapple pants.

My dad, who did martial arts in the seventies, was gobsmacked when he saw my jacket for the first time. He said it felt like wood and was nothing like when he was in San Francisco learning God knows what.

He was probably doing kung fu or karate, and those gi's are very thin. (if you ever get a chance to gi choke an idiot who has a thin gi on day one, do it, that poo poo is like piano wire.)

Also wear spats underneath a gi, top and bottom. I find that gi pants chew up my knees real bad.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I watched that video this morning (well, some of it, anyway), and then literally hit the first bit of it today in sparring. :stare:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Neeber posted:

Who was it in Pride that had devastating knees to the head from north south? GSP had some really nasty knees to the body from top side control as well - imagine if those were allowed to go to the head. It seems that it's the unified rules neutering knees from side control that makes it a less desirable position that top half since all you're left with from a GnP standpoint is short elbows and hammerfists.

I think you're also looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpegokRf1Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Ok can a senior grappler explain for me the advantage of the S-grip in his two-arm finish? When I go palm to palm, I typically go, well... palm to palm, gable grip style - my non-choking arm opens up as if I'm holding a tray like a waiter, little finger to my opponent's back, and then the fingers of the choking arm's hand over the thumb.

Is there any reason that S-grip would be better?

Good video by the way.

I'm confused by that grip too. Never seen it taught like that. Maybe it has something to do with his wrist flexibility?