Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ianskate posted:

Also echoing this. It's really nice, enjoying mine a lot.

Though I've been using the 56 1.2 far more often (for portraits) this month. Maybe I'll mess around with the 35 on a portrait shoot this Friday. I've just been too happy with the 56 to even want to swap it mid shoot! Though in regards to that, nailing focus at 1.2 is an actual struggle, but when you get it... holy crap.

I'm choosing between the 56 and the 90 for my primary portrait lens. Have you tried both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yowtch. Switching from a 5D III to a XT2? The ergonomics are gonna take a while. I ordered the battery grip, which I get tomorrow, and boy I'm gonna need it, this thing is tiny. I like having the focus set to the front function button, and like the feel. Going to definitely take getting used to this.

Anyone with suggestions on making the shift more comfortable and efficient?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I hear in China that they bind boys' hands from a young age so they can handle the new generation of mirrorless cameras more easily as adults. Children who are especially nerdy or socially inept are marked out early in life as likely camera users and it's then that their hands are first tightly wrapped in linen strips.

Unfortunately, there's no way of shrinking adult hands down to properly fit an XT.

... But do you have a son?

Yeah, and he loves photography. And he's not touching it. The grip will help, I think.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bobfather posted:

Enjoy the vastly superior everything.

Yeah, there's a reason i moved on from Canon. Gotta figure out the post, though. Gotta try Iridient for the raws, but cant find a link to their beta for windows on their product page.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bobfather posted:

Just use Lightroom. The critiques of it are vastly overblown, except that it's a slow program when working with (any camera system's) huge RAWs.

With Canon, I did ACR to photoshop. Other than workflow, any difference there from lightroom?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

red19fire posted:

yeah ok, i'm switching to the xt2 asap.

What are the favorite primes of the dorkroom? I'm leaning towards the 23mm/2 and 56/1.2. Since I have an X100t it's going to be redundant, isn't it?

Having had the camerà for two days and the 90mm for one, i feel i am an expert.

Picking between the 56 and the 90 was tough. Ultimately, i went with the 90 because I wanted a telephoto prime, too. I shoot around 30 head and shoulder portrait shots a month, and used an 85 on my 5d, but always wanted the 135. I'll be forced to move my normal shooting location, but otherwise should be good.

i wish Fuji would make a long prime, or one of the third party guys would step up.

Having just bought, my first lens choices were, kit lens ober the 2.8 version, 12mm rokinon, 35 f2, 90mm and leaning towards 55-200.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Man, muscle memory is not my friend. I can keep jabbing the q button, but it will NOT autofocus. Zoom is loving backwards, too.

Handles great with the battery grip. And, even though this is the least important thing, the image quality is fantastic.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ugh whatever jeez posted:

I've only used Canon DSLR cameras since 300D came out and I'm thinking about going mirrorless. Considering ergonomics and UI, In your opinion, which mirrorless system would I hate least?

My only mirrorless experience is Sony a5000 which is lovely tiny camera that people don't ever notice but I hate it's tiny controls (gloves!) and 2 level menu with bazillion options with useful settings sprinkled seemingly randomly to different tabs. Even xxxD series Canon bodies are great to use compared to that.

I know quite a few here have made switch away from Canon so interested in your experience and insight. Fiddling with some controls for a bit in shop can only tell so much about long term use...

My muscle memory is killing me, but it's already getting better with the XT2. The menus absolutely suck, but you can set the q menu to a lot of your needs, and the MyMenu is also pretty flexible. If you had to dive in all the time, no one would use them, but the basic controls on the XT2 are better and easier than my past with 400D, 5D, 5DII and 5DIII.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Done.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah, it's a great, sharp lens, and light.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

If I want bokeh I have a 56mm f/1.2 and 90mm f/2 :colbert:

I have just the 90, portrait work obviously, do you find you use both enough to justify?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

Yes but I shoot weddings, events, and headshots professionally. I use the 56mm a lot in low light. The 90mm is mostly used for tight head and shoulders shots and when I need the reach during a wedding. I could totally get away with having just one but it's very convenient to have both.

Yeah, tight head shots is most of what I shoot in portraits, and I have no need for a second portrait lens. But I want it. What I really want is a decent long telephoto prime, preferably 300mm or more.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rio posted:

I was tempted to go all zoom. Having 1.4 on the 23 and 1.2 on the 56, though, was a big enough difference for me to justify going with primes. And the image output of those lenses is just amazing.

I gotta say, I haven't touched a bad lens yet by fuji. I was looking at the 16-55 but the kit lens is stabilized, light and sharp, too. I miss some third party choices, but Fujitsu stuff is just drat good.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

The 18mm f/2 is the only bad Fuji lens I've owned. The corners were trash on it even at f/8.

Is that the general review of it or a bad copy?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shnakepup posted:

Recently came into some money, a bonus from work, so I'm looking to get a few new toys :toot:

What's a good wireless flash for Fuji, preferably with TTL? I'm a recent convert from Canon to an XT-2 and one thing I've been missing is having some kind of off-camera flash. Before, I used some Cactus triggers with a Canon 430EX. Are there any fuji-compatible flashes that'll do wireless TTL with the XT-2? Alternatively a flash that'll do TTL with my existing Cactus triggers? I've looked around on Amazon a bit but I'm not sure what's good and what's not. I see there's a Fuji X500 flash but I'm not sure about it from the reviews (seems like people getting bad copies?). I can see a variety of cheaper-looking flashes but I'm not sure which ones will work wirelessly and/or with TTL. Any recommendations?

I'm also wanting to get a new lens. I've got the kit 18-55 that came with the XT-2 body and I also have some Rokinon manual primes, the 12mm and the 85mm. I'm debating between getting something I don't already have, in terms of utility/range, vs getting something that's just nicer than what I already have. Like, part of me wants to get something telephoto, and while the Rokinon 85 sorta works, I'd like to get something with AF and maybe a longer reach. Part of me just wants to get a "do it all" walkaround lens like the 18 -135 and call it a day but I've always read that lenses like that have to sacrifice in the image quality department for that kinda range. On the other hand I see people in this thread raving about various Fuji primes and part of me is like "man I wanna get in on that". But the idea of getting a prime that's within the range of a lens I already have (18-55) feels weird, like I'm being redundant. Does the quality on these primes make up for that?

I should make it clear I'm not, like, shooting professionally or anything, I just do this for myself mostly. I don't really focus on any one thing in particular; I like landscapes and nature, but I usually find myself shooting friends & family more often.

Go big. The 55-200 is nice, sharp, light and fast enough.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
If you're already worried about upgrading, just get the xt2 kit, the 55-200, and pick a wide angle that's weather sealed and be happy. The kit lens is an asskicker.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

JHVH-1 posted:

Nice, they have sets with matching hotshoe cover https://www.artisanobscura.com/category/3/outfitted-sets

Jesus. I bought a two dollar black soft release, and it's nice, but really?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rawrr posted:

Really considering just buying some pen blanks to make some and undercut them, less for profit and more out of spite. Like if I just sell one or two it'll pay for itself. I'll call it Aperture Atelier

e: branding is done:

kickstarter next!

I'm ready to support you.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

I mean if you make cheaper wooden soft releases then I'll buy one. Don't hate on a good product just because it's marketed to and by idiots. It's like shopping at whole foods, you can do it without being the insufferable one.

Nope. I'm gonna buy this ironically only.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fjelltorsk posted:

Really enjoying my x-t1, sort of wish I had started using Fuji sooner. Getting used to the size

Looking at a 50-140 now. Is the AF fast when coupled to the x-t1? I know there is a x-t2 in my future but I don't really want to spring for it before I have most of the glass I want. But the cycling world championships is coming to my home town in September and I am getting great access, so if the x-t2 would help me there I guess that is reason enough.

Help me cure my gas, dorkroom. Please?

Compare it with the 55-200 too. Extra reach, sharp, good IS, lighter. If you don't have to have the 2.8 you'll really like it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bobfather posted:

The 55-200 is great. Doesn't have lightning quick focus, though.

I've found the AF to be quick within range. If it has to hunt, the range is so long it's really an issue.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

MMD3 posted:

x-t2 talk, have you guys played much with the double exposure function? any good results? I want to try and start using it more just for fun around town stuff and see what I can get away with.

Also, do any of you have an opinion on your favorite thing to map the front function button to?

Focus. My finger hits it perfectly, while my thumb is just off the back buttons.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah. My index finger on the shutter, middle finger on the front for focus lock. I used back button on my 5DIII and previous Canons, but that front button is always under that finger.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

kefkafloyd posted:

Always keep a spare "break glass" SD card in your bag or strap pocket.

This. I have two 32gig cards in the bag, 2 x 64 in camera.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

Oh poo poo PIMM's back :toot:

Holy poo poo, I hadn't noticed.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

A modern lug is most likely to fail catastrophically so you won't see a failure until your gear hits the ground. I mean it's your camera so do what you want but I'd never mount a modern gripped digital to a single point like that especially with a lens bigger than the smallest prime on it. I like slings but can't stand using the tripod screws for them so I have DSPTCH straps and a cheap climbing rope sling I bought on etsy.

I use one lug on the body, one on the grip, and it hands from the side instead of the top, but on two lugs.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

polyester concept posted:

I would keep in mind that while the 18-55 kit lens gives you a lot of flexibility, it's size definitely puts it in the DSLR-like bulk category that might make it annoying to carry around. I would personally recommend something like the 23mm f2 lens to start out with. It has a wide enough focal length that it's great for tighter indoor kid shots without having to step back too far. It also has a slightly wider maximum aperture which is even better for low light. You just have to get used to moving your body around to change the perspective instead of zooming the lens in or out

For a first shooter with kid, i disagree. At 18mm it's wider and at 2.8 fast enough. A wide normal zoom is too useful for kid shooting. The 23 might be my second lens, though.

This is the kit you want, not the other lens. https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-T...ywords=Xt20+kit

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

If you're just wanting to take shots while on the boat and want to avoid spray and rain, the XT2 is already a sealed body, and as long as you have a sealed lens you're good to go. Otherwise, things like those OPTech rainsleeves will be fine.

Depends. If it's salt water, put it in a rain protector.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

I've had sealed bodies and lenses get drenched with salt water and they were perfectly fine after rinsing off with fresh once things were done

Granted, I don't know if Fuji has worse sealing than Oly's, but I've never heard complaints.

Only the lens coating worries me in salt water. But, I'm much more paranoid than is probably necessary. I hate getting small, almost invisible grit on a lens.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lady Gaza posted:

Camera bag recommendations? Looking for something to hold my X-T20 + 18-55mm, Samyang 12mm, lens hoods, my mini tripod (Manfrotto PIXI), memory cards and spare battery. The more compact/low-profile and lightweight the better - am not a fan of bulky messenger style bags and too much weight on one shoulder can cause my back to ache. Most of the bags I've seen are too bulky or 'professional' looking (e.g. the big padded lowepro cases) for my tastes; I'd be using this while travelling so don't to lug something like that around. The Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 20 caught my eye (https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/mirrorless-mover-20).

Retrospectives. Look at the various retrospectives. I wanted to like the mirrorless more, but ultimately stuck with my retro.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
XH1 available for preorder, ships on 1 Mar. So, I'm going to have my xt2, grip and kit lens up on the sale thread soon.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rio posted:

Looks like the XH-1 is not doing well with reviews. I was all ready to be low key upset that they released an IBIS camera so soon after the X-T2 since I would have waited (since they said they couldn’t make an IBIS body I never would have thought to even wait for something like that) but it is too big, too heavy, doesn’t have an IQ improvement over the X-T2 and when you have a crop body with no IQ improvement over the previous model and is bigger and heavier than full frame mirror less bodies then that just doesn’t do it for me.

That said, I am also sad that it doesn’t seem to be being received well. I want Fuji to do well so they make more stuff because I like their gear more than any other camera company out there and a body that really hit it for video people would help the company. I guess it remains to be seen if video people will think it’s worth it. I’m a stills guy and everyone I know is too. I don’t know that a body like this will get people to leave their m4/3 bodies or whatever video people use. When I switched from Canon to the X-T1 I saw all kinds of advantages and it made the decision easy after I started leaving my 5D home all of the time and just taking out my old X100. But I don’t know what significant advantages video people will see to make them want to make that jump.

It's funny, but it's enough change for me to sell my xt2 and upgrade. IBIS alone wouldn't have, but frankly the Bluetooth, the better EVF and the better video just push it thru. I'm also happy for the size increase. The XT2 is too small for comfort, but not small enough to be pocketable, so the bigger grip is enticing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SMERSH Mouth posted:

One thing in that list (no headphone jack in camera) is kind of a wash since there is one in the optional grip. And if you're "serious" about doing video with an X-H1, you're going to need the grip anyway to enable longer recording times.

I don't know a ton about video either, but I think that internal 10bit 4:2:2 is in some way hardware-dependent, in the sense that it might require more processing power than camera can provide on its own.

Speaking of firmware updates, it'd be sweet if Fuji would add Eterna and F-log to the X-T2. Those are simply color profiles and should be completely possible to implement.

And it's cool that Fuji gave the Xpro 4K, but only the X-T2 (and now the X-H1 I guess) uses a particular type of video readout (oversampling) that produces much nicer video quality. All the other 4K Fujis use subsampling. I mean, it's still 4K with Fuji color rendition so it can look great, but only the bigger SLR-style Fujis can do oversampling. It might have something to do with power consumption and heat generation/dispersal, so that nice oversampled quality is also probably hardware-limited.

The XH1 is bigger in part because of the increased heat sink, at least some reports say.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

alarumklok posted:

I think people already invested in Fuji (stills folks) but want to experiment or already know they want more video dabbling is the target market, but I can't see a video person jumping ship for the marginal extra utility it provides.

Not having a fully articulating LCD is a mistake too; there's a reason why literally every camcorder ever has one. You can frame yourself with slight but minimal fuss for a still without one, but video means moving around while recording and it's pretty hard to tell the places where hands clip or are still on screen for gesturing or whatever, whether interesting things are still in frame since you or it moved relative to the camera, etc..

I'm curious if the Bluetooth versus WiFi is going to make the phone app easy enough to disregard the screen articulation moot.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rio posted:

If Sony has lenses like Fuji and they were the same prices then maybe. Not to mention people preferring external aperture rings and shutter/ISO controls etc. The new Sony body looks cool but they excel at neat technology rather than lenses I actually want to buy and use and I don’t think I’m alone. People have talked doom and gloom on APS-C for a long time now and I don’t see how this one body is going to make people who like the strengths of other systems (Fuji’s advantages for APS-C, m4/3 advantages etc.) suddenly need to switch to FF.

Yeah, I went from Canon full frame to fuji. I mostly did it for the better sensor, and figured the depth difference wouldn't be that bad. Do not miss full frame at all. Fuji XT system is too in between in size to be a difference maker for me. Too small for hand comfort, too big to be pocketable.

And, drat, fuji makes great lenses, AND does real, significant body updates by firmware. As a company, they've already earned my loyalty like Canon never did.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
XH1 arrived yesterday. It's such a huge handling difference for one, and it's going to take some time to get the feel down. The most striking thing? Putting the 90mm on it. The IS turns that lens from a thing of beauty into something surreal. I cannot explain how much better it feels with the constant IS on.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Thanks. Just pulled the trigger on a 300mm FD I'm gonna try on my fuji.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'll let you know next week.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My XT2 kit is for sale in the sale thread. XT2, grip, kit lens, 3 batteries, $1650.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rio posted:

That’s a good deal and if I didn’t have one I’d be all over it. Are you switching bodies and/or systems?

Went whole hog. XH1 and 16-55 2.8. Fuji has earned my loyalty.