Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I want to give a quick shout out to my old apartment building that supports countertops with tiny 1.25" wide baluster spindles and screws them to the floor through the linoleum with tiny steel L brackets. About 10 years ago I leaned on one of the countertops which was not supported by any cabinetry, and the spindle buckled and snapped and the entire thing completely fell off the wall onto the floor. After moving out, I was pleased to see recently that they are still using this signature contruction technique in their "renovated" units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I can feel the carpet burn on my shins from this one

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Zil posted:

Little dab of vapor rub under your nose will do wonders for blocking out smells.

Full face respirator with P100 and organic vapor cartridges, imo

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

My friend moved into a.janky rental his family had owned and quickly found that the plaster on the walls had large cracks (from a 100 y/o house settling? Foundation issues? Earthquake? Who knows) and someone had just covered tje cracks with tape and painted over it

I’ve found this one before, it was a massive 1-2” wide plaster crack just taped over and painted (by my landlord). Also in my renting history a few times I have found surprisingly minty holes that had been repaired according to an ancient life hack: filling them in with toothpaste and painting over (probably by a previous tenant, hope they got that security deposit in full).

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been tempted to do just that, but I don't want to repaint the entire wall and don't really trust colour-matching to make any patch not obvious.

I did color matching for three different shades of beige in my last apartment, they were able to identify the manufacturer and exact formulation of two of them, so they made me a sample of both. I painted over a few spots and it ended up being indistinguishable from the rest of the wall.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Did you take a sample of the paint in with you? Because I can get a sample easy.

Just by cracking off a bit of the dented wall.

Yeah I chipped off a piece that was already loose with a pocket knife and put it in a ziploc bag and then handed it to the person at the paint counter

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/897-Field-Club-Rd-Pittsburgh-PA-15238/11446516_zpid/

Not actually crappy but you have to be really careful when you compare your house listing to Fallingwater.

Anyone know wtf this veneer material is in the bathroom and on this dinette set? Is it just painted-over wood grain? It looks similar to Sottsass ALPI veneer but without as much depth of color. It’s probably what this person wants it to look like, but they cheaped out because it’s very hard to get. It would be nice if there’s a lookalike out there.

Also lol at this person’s house dripping with designer and custom furniture and then tacking what looks like $10 wal mart mirrors all over the walls.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

There’s a follow up video where she says she called maintenance and they told her she punctured the neighboring HVAC system, doesn’t say exactly what component. I hope they wouldn’t just patch it up with painters tape if it was a refrigerant line, but then again this is the crappy construction thread

https://www.tiktok.com/@sie_salt/video/7197399517019360554

Edit: looks like a refrigerant line to me https://www.tiktok.com/@sie_salt/video/7198595086719175982

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 4, 2023

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I use those little brass picture hangers that come with nails that Home Depot sells because they don’t back out of the hole like a regular nail. Hope that’s not crappy construction?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7203774420589153582

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

peanut posted:

Cross posting.

First time wearing a half/full face respirator for 5-6 hours in a warm, dusty environment. What's the best way to keep my skin from peeling off from the sweat and friction? Paper mask, bandana, or balaclava?

i'm not sure if this helps or what kind of mask you're using but i've never had that problem with my envo mask

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Feels right to post this here:

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/objects/404577587/ posted:

This is a Sidewall. It was created by Urs Fischer. It is dated 2013. Its medium is inkjet print on nylon reinforced paper.

One complete set consists of ten unique panels of Drywall wallpaper with each panel offering a realistic rendering of a sheet of drywall, all prepped and awaiting its final surface coating. Actual sheets of drywall were digitally photographed and printed allowing the wallpaper to pick up minute details that make it nearly impossible to distinguish from actual drywall. The wallpaper is unpretentious and exudes confidence, and Fischer’s ability to capture the raw beauty of this material elevates drywall to a new level.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Zooming in on the sink and this looks like a render

Looks AI generated to me

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Our rental apartment five years ago still had plug in fuses, and the local hardware store absolutely stocked them.

(Of course, when I actually looked in the fuse box, pretty much all the circuits had 30A fuses in them, when they should have been 15A...)

Lol this was my exact experience living in an apartment building from 1900 or so. I kept blowing the fuse to my apartment, and when I brought home a replacement from the hardware store, i discovered the fuses to all the other units were jacked up like this.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

kinda into that tbh

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

peanut posted:

We need to add a slope to the side door on grandpa's house. Please share success and horror stories of home modifications for wheelchair and accessible use.

My grandmother had an access ramp at her home that was several feet high, enough to need multiple switchbacks, but I guess the builder deemed those too expensive, so they just built two very steep runs. The wooden decking surface became covered with algae due to being in a woody shaded lot. After my grandmother fell, broke her arm, and was stranded for hours, the person who built the ramp nailed two rows of asphalt shingles along the center of the ramp, an ingenious solution that made accessing the front door as simple as traversing a roof.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Outing myself as a lanyard but never wear one of these around your neck to the Verizon store Best Buy, or any tech store, also

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I wish I could find this one hobby tunneler YouTube channel again, some German (?) guy digging a huge underground lair by himself by hand, seemingly as a residence, no talking and lots of techno, where I left off he was trying to cast copper throwing knives.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Icedude posted:

Are you thinking of Colin Furze, or is there a third underground lair builder out there?

Definitely not Colin Furze.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

In my experience most people just toss the assembly instructions aside in the most cartoonish way possible and struggle for however long it takes to either end up with a part that doesn’t fit or break something

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

One of the Airbnbs I stayed at in NYC had walls made from single layer plywood and bunks constructed from scrap 2x4s. It looked like a squat. Supremely cursed place.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

One of the other Airbnb’s I stayed at was a commune in the West Virginia highlands. When the host was showing us around, I noticed her stepping very intentionally around one area of the footpath. The next day it was raining, and I noticed that spot was where someone had run electrical lines to several outbuildings. The line was not buried, it was just laying on the ground, and was spliced with wire nuts and nothing else. At least someone put some big rocks there so you could hop over it easily.

It was a very special place and I think they just used Airbnb as a no fuss way to rent out their spare buildings to generate funds. I wish I had the money to donate to them to fix their electrical.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Benagain posted:

I don't know wresting that well, what's being referenced?

This match which is one of the best and most famous of all time, which very nearly killed one or both of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hMp65SzyTU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

thinking about buying one of these and then quietly putting it on the fake logs in the gas fireplace at a relative’s house

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

[cackles in skeleton]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't wait for touchscreens to be banished in favor of physical knobs and buttons again. They're the worst form of user interface, the only thing they do better than physical components is being able to be dynamically remapped for different usage modes (like on a tablet computer or phone). They make zero sense for appliances that always have the same usage mode.

This has been a recent thing in the automotive world at least. I can’t find the article but some high end trucks still have the touchscreen, but do have more mechanical switches

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 20, 2024