Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Wait that was intentional? I thought the floor had collapsed but the bed miraculously stayed up.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Nenonen posted:

That 7 angle definitely will. Or tree leaves will clog it before that.

Is this just someone's weird way of putting the address on the building?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Things like that tend to have already been there before the neighborhood existed.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

quote:

This unit has an open floor plan with tons of natural light. The kitchen is updated with everything one needs. Beautiful tile floor, gray cabinets, large sink, under counter lighting, Butcher Block Counters, and tile backsplash.

It just gets worse and worse the longer I look at it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Ebola Dog posted:

So much more intuitive than 1 ml of water = 1 g (or 1 L = 1 Kg), takes up a 1 cm3 volume, and takes 1 calorie of energy to heat up by 1 degrees Celsius.

Equating weight to volume isn't entirely fair (although our system is still stupid in many ways) since it's defined to be 231 cubic inches of volume. 8 1/3 pounds is at least somewhat convenient for estimating weight since 3 gallons = 25 pounds.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

That almost feels like it's trying to hide that there's no U-bend.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Maybe that's where the stair toilets come from, so you don't have to traverse the entire house.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Having never seen a single screen/storm door latch that actually latches the door after a couple years of use, I just assumed the lock is there to make sure it stays shut when you want it to.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

They can do worse. Such as the drain being higher up than the rest of the floor.

How else are you going to get the drain up above the pipe into which it drains?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I don't think skeets embed yet but came across this today:

https://bsky.app/profile/ozmaracc.bsky.social/post/3kgw6jsg4qh2v

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Anything can go in a fire once.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Inline water heaters have become so small they can fit in pipe elbows.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Computer viking posted:

The one argument I've heard for them is that they allow the stovetop to e.g. turn itself off on a timer without having to use a motor to physically turn a knob back to 0.

Separate the heat control from the on/off with a tapedeck-style pop-up button.

The touchscreen controls on my dishwasher don't even make any sense. The "extra dry" button all the way on the left and the mode, start/pause, and power buttons on the right are touch controls, but there's 5 lights in the middle that display the mode selected. But you have to press the mode button and it cycles through them. And it's all one panel so I don't see why they couldn't have made the middle part touch controls it's so they could save $0.0002 in manufacturing this $300 device

And of course the mode button has a habit of registering double touches, so I have to cycle through the entire list of modes 2 or 3 times to get the one I want.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Who cares if the knob position matches?

Interrupt the power to the burner and don’t reconnect it till the knob rests in the “off” indent.

The knob doesn't even need to have a position, it can just be a rotary control which changes the number on an LCD. Both the climate knobs in my car are like this and honestly it works better because the knobs are way down by the ashtray but they change the fan speed/temperature display on the dash, and I can also still feel how many clicks I turned the knob.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is this an actual thing? I can't imagine that having to motorize all of the vents and write the UI for controlling them is better than the existing alternative.

It's so they can sell adjustable vents as a DLC option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We have those style staircases in the warehouse area at work:

And, holy poo poo, do they break people's minds. Anyone who doesn't deal with them daily treats them like some incomprehensible alien device. Some freak out when they approach the stair and you can see them trying to work out which foot to put forward as they get closer, leading to them almost skipping half the time, getting it wrong and then trying to put their foot on the higher stair instead of the first one.

I can kind of understand this because I just absolutely cannot start going up a staircase or ladder with my left foot. Something in my brain just stops working and I can't figure out what to do next.