Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
But that would cost money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

He only wants to soften the caulk not get rid of it completely. :downsrim:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Laminator posted:

I'm in a rental house now, it's an older home but I'm not sure of the age. There's lots of crappy construction in it (charm, I think they call it), but I'm most concerned about electrical. There's not a single GFCI in the place, including the outlet above the sink. Is this typically something that the leasing company will fix if I request it? I'm getting mixed answers from Google. Texas code, if that helps.

Oh god the triplex I live in is exactly like this. The only outlet in the bathroom is above the sink built into the light fixture.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah I think you have that backwards. Electric for the oven, gas for the cooktop is the way to go. I would rather have a decent electric cooktop versus a lovely bottom barrel gas stove though.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I have a non-induction ceramic cooktop and the manual says cast iron is not recommended unless "designed specifically for glass cooktops." I would be worried about it scratching the cooktop more than anything. All my pots are stainless steel anyway.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'll bite, if listeria is a problem in hot water, why is my cold tap water declared safe to drink by the city? Is listeria just a thing that happens when the water sits in the water heater? If so, can poo poo really grow in there? I assume listeria needs oxygen to grow and I have no idea how much oxygen is inside a full water heater.

Actually it's legionella that's the problem. Most bacteria will grow very well in the range of 95-115 degrees. Above 120 shouldn't be a problem. If you keep it low, all you need to do is crank it up to the highest temperature for a few hours once a month.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Alereon posted:

Since when is Legionella a concern in domestic water systems? Unless you live on a filthy well your city water has residual chlorination levels sufficient to kill Legionella. The concern is with cooling towers and industrial/commercial hot water systems. Unless you or someone you live with has a compromised immune system, scalding from hot water is likely a much higher risk.

Actually chemical disinfectants like chlorine can be rendered inactive in the presence of a biofilm, so it can still be an issue with municipal water supplies.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Alereon posted:

Okay, but how is there going to be a Legionella-containing biofilm in pipes that have only ever held chlorinated city water? Sorry if it seems like I'm being contrary, it's just that someone in your house is about 50 times as likely to suffer a scalding burn as get Legionnaire's disease. It seems like that should be the obvious priority when setting a domestic hot water heater temperature, unless you live with someone with AIDS or drink from a filthy well. Legionella and human flesh have similar heat tolerances.

E: I kinda feel like a dick for going on a derail, and I'd like to think goons are smart enough to set their water heaters so they won't melt their children's arms, but a surprising number of people keep their poo poo too hot.

No I agree that scalding is a problem. Keeping a gas heater at 120 would be sufficient. If I had an electric I would probably keep it a little higher because they heat a little slower.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

If if visit the US I'm just going to rock these because apparently the temperatures and climate there are totally unsuitable to human life

Can confirm. I'm from Arizona.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Someone started a gofundme campaign for those Brave Crackhouse purchasers

https://www.gofundme.com/help-this-brave-gentrifier-family

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Thought I was in the political cartoon thread for a minute.

But nothing has the word DEBT written on it

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Please ban all HDR photography as well.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

We don't go in....that room.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Platystemon posted:

tl;dr: OP documents their house. No good deed (pun acknowledged) goes unpunished and now OP has to defend themselves from a bogus lawsuit in small claims court.

I need to remember to post the stuff I got from the previous owner of my house. He was an engineer who did all sorts of DIY stuff, including security system. He left detailed instructions and blueprints for everything he did. He also had 40 years worth of instruction manuals and receipts for every appliance in the house.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

You can buy stuff on steam with bitcoins now

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Trip report - they send you a higher end one (I think their highest end "home" one - Pro 110 series). But it looks like they do want the old one back now, instead of disposing of it. Prepaid shipping label is included, and the instructions state they expect you to send it intact.

Well there goes my plan of tying a string to the trigger and seeing how much foam comes in a fire extinguisher

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I have 4 cats and 2 dogs in about 1200 sq ft. I have to sweep, vacuum, and scoop litter every day. I can't imagine having 15.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

I love that show and wish there was more of it.

I would watch a whole show of Joe "The Bullet" Barbaro smashing things

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I knew some folks that lived in the middle of nowhere. Electricity was provided by a wind turbine, solar panels, and a back-up generator, along with an enormous bank of lead-acid batteries for storage. All of their major appliances other than the washer, were powered by propane, including the refrigerator. I think it was also self-built out of hay bales. The kids room was up a super steep ladder to a loft that had no railings.

God I wish I had pictures.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

That beige carpet that is seemingly in every single rental house or apartment that gets instantly stained just by looking at it is my favorite.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I live in a townhouse/condo community and It owns. My HOA fee covers water, sewer, pool and spa maintenance and all landscaping except for in my little patio yard area.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

How come so many sinks have the faucet set so far back that you have to jam your hands against the back of the basin to wash them? I see this so often at restaurants too, they'll have some massive ridiculous ultra-modern basin and then this tiny little faucet that just dribbles some water along the back wall of the basin.

People buy sinks and faucets without any actual measuring.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

My house has asbestos popcorn ceiling from 1978 so the drop ceiling would probably be an improvement

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Groverhotel

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

That shower is awesome

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I found the Zillow listing for the front door toilet house. It sold for $670,000 in 2017 https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1422-Marshall-St-Oceanside-CA-92054/16584351_zpid/

It looks like they turned an old garage into an enormous bathroom, so less bad than expected, but not ideal.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 5, 2020

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Bensa posted:

USA: "drat previous owners left the knob and tube in"

Germany:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkuKsOU_2Ew

600 years of previous owners

This looks like a Skyrim house

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I would leave at least one tub.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

If this isn't a crime it probably should be.

So this is in Scotland and the rules for historic buildings are really weird. If you do any add ons or renovations, it has to be obvious that it's not a part of the original structure, and it has to be easily removed.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Interesting. How do they add modern utilities like lights or indoor plumbing then? Because those require drilling and cutting.

Yeah they put them outside the walls in conduits/bulkheads.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

My girlfriend and I are looking at apartments, and came across this beautiful bathroom.

The rest of the apartment is completely generic 90s/00s style, but the bathroom is obviously original. That bathtub is just :discourse:

I don't hate it?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Underrated album

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

The gas valve on my water heater crapped out a month after the warranty expired

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah it's fine as an accent, but the whole floor is just too loud

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

MrYenko posted:

The publicly posted photo of his teenage daughter in lingerie is classy as gently caress too.

Big Donald, Ivanka energy on this one

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Just install a fireman's pole next to the staircase.

I was gonna say a slide but that works too

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Really? I actually didn't know that. Got any more details on this? Because I sure love me a good Tree Fact(tm).

Yeah they are usually called suckers. https://www.loveyourlandscape.org/expert-advice/tree-care/insects-and-disease/dealing-with-tree-suckers/

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And some kinds of trees just like doing it on general principle. Ornamental cherries, for one.

Yeah plants are loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

You have no idea. There is a long and glorious history of men in my family trying to burn down their houses, maim their children, and generally destroy society via badly DIY’ing poo poo.

As an example my great grandpa apparently heard that it was possible to recharge d-cell batteries with heat. This would have been the 1920s or so. So he left a brace of them on a coal oil stove overnight. They blew up and started a small fire. Family legend so grain of salt but one of my uncles swears there was still damage visible when he helped re-do the kitchen in the 70s.

1920s equivalent of microwaving your iphone lmao