Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

slurry_curry posted:

We also found a time capsule of sorts from one of the old owners. It had his fishing license from the 50's along with a bunch of letters his wife had sent him while he was out working on fishing boats in Alaska, that are written in old Norwegian, which apparently barely anyone knows anymore. We actually reached out to the Nordic heritage museum to see about getting them translated, but we still need to follow up and take them in. There were also cans of chewing tabacco, one unopened and one that was still mostly full. Tried to get some of the construction guys to try someone, but no one would.

While turn of the (last) century Norwegian is further removed from current-day Norwegian than is the case with English, it's readable enough - but I bet he had some godawful (but neat) German-inspired handwriting. :)
If you post an image I can take a shot, but I'm not great at dechiffering old cursive - and there's always the chance he wrote in some obscure dialect from his old two-sheep village in outer nowhere.

On the off chance anyone cares, there is a good historical reason that the language changed as much as it did: Norwegian and Danish are mutually intelligible, but inherit from different dialects of old Norse. Norway was under Danish rule 1397-1814, and when we got around to public schools and the like, pure Danish became the official language. This thoroughly shaped Norwegian (especially the city dialects), but when we dropped out of the Union there was still a strong mismatch between the spoken and written language that took about a century to work out. The period from, say, 1850-1930 was rather ... innovative, spelling-wise, and that worked it's way backward into the spoken language as well, when un-Danish phrasings crept back into polite usage.
(There was also a secondary weaker Swedish influence 1814-1905; we left the union with Denmark directly into one with Sweden as a war price. Swedish is also mutually intelligible with Norwegian, but a bit further from Danish.)

Which makes Danish rap super funny to us, because it's like hearing Dickens trying to be gangsta.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Or a dog, but I can absolutely imagine it on a Guardian UK recipe page.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

drgitlin posted:

MC Einar!

That's a reference and a half. :D

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You know, I'm still ok with Norway's weird "two or three live phases to the wall, no neutral, provide your own ground" system. When you know both phases are live you avoid that entire class of "but that's not supposed to happen" problems ... or at least you notice the problem early. And of course, all phases have breakers. (The downside is that there is no easy way to get 400V out of it; the highest you can cobble together is the normal 230V phase/phase. I'm not an electrician, and I don't know how they provide higher voltages to people that require them.)

We also don't have piped gas, which seems sort of comforting given the only time we hear about it is when something explodes. I assume that's mostly reporting bias - nobody talks about how exciting it is that most water heaters and furnaces didn't vaporise the surrounding house(s) today. :)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 8, 2019

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ok, I'll be the weirdo: I kind of like it; it's sort of artistically jaunty while still being a functional roof. I wouldn't pick it myself, and I'm sure there are horror stories in the construction, but I can't hate it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Jesus, 100C hot ceiling? I'd be worried about something breaking and literally boiling me alive; that's "sleep in a store room at work" bad.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Norway has an ongoing project of building nice/spectacular rest stops along the longer roads, partially for the safety benefits of tempting people to take more tests and for the tourist appeal. It includes some nice toilets.

https://www.abcnyheter.no/reise/inspirasjon/2019/07/09/195589546/sett-deg-ned-og-nyt-utsikten-du-er-pa-et-norsk-offentlig-toalett
(The video is relevant.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I just want to add that "garderobe" is literally the Norwegian for "wardrobe" (and "locker room") - it took a few sentences to remember that it's not what you use in English.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oslo, Norway is a fairly young city in its current location (it moved one river to the left after one of the fires). We're still replacing the oak water piping, though; I snapped this last fall:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Seems related to the usual "A Brit thinks 200 miles is far, an American thinks 200 years is a long time".

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Is that a bathtub/shower setup where the shower is connected to both hot and hot (or possibly both cold and cold) water?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

From the previously mentioned Anti-Satan Defense Bunker school of design? Yeah, I can see that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I just want to understand why the bathroom fan rheostat clicking off causes the sound I/O in my studio to reboot 4/5 times.

Except I rent, and my landlords are...landlords. So this will forever remain a mystery.

Turning the kettle on or off here causes the projector to lose the HDMI signal for a second. I suspect "long runs of insufficiently shielded cable picks up EM noise bursts" in both our cases?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

When I see videos like that, I can't help but imagine some future digital archaeologist will be delighted to unearth such a realistic view into a typical early-21st century family home.

Not that that's likely to happen, we're so overdocumented they will either know absolutely everything about us or everything will be lost and they have to try and piece it together from the fire damaged ruins they uncover.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In the non-catastrophic future I'm envisioning, all sorts of garbage like the entire archives of YouTube get carried along on live storage, like some overgrown hybrid of the internet archive, a hoarder house, and those "toss it over the wall" code dumps you get from companies that are open-source against their will. The difficulty isn't that the hardware holding the bits has decayed, it's in finding out what's actually archived in this increasingly unmanageable, un-indexed, mess that was meant to be parsed by software it would take a mid-sized public project to get running again.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's kind of amazing to build a tall, stand-alone house in what looks like a flat open area, and still make most of it feel like a dreary inside office. I'm sure it was expensive to put up, too.

Looking at it on
streetview, it really does look like it was meant to be a commercial property and got converted to housing when that failed - it's on the rear of a gas station lot, for one thing.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 14, 2020

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I thought this looked familiar - and indeed there was a similar case here a few years ago:
https://www.nrk.no/osloogviken/domt-for-a-kappe-naboens-uthus-i-to-1.14231571?index=0#album-1-11658700 (The last picture is just the main house on the property; it was not otherwise involved.)

That case made it to court, not surprisingly. The sawyer had to pay fairly large reparations for the damages, and had to offer the shed owners the relevant part of his property at a fair market price - he had apparently been completely unwilling to negotiate or even help establish facts beforehand, which I doubt helped his case.

(And I'm sure the Norwegians in the audience are thinking of a certain Øystein Sunde song.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The path from the parking up to our cabin is about that steep, and we've joked about putting in a cable car. Good to know it's actually possible if we should suddenly find that sort of money.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm Norwegian, and I still haven't seen a politician properly shamed for having a heated driveway at his mountain palace - a rickety deathtrap up to our tiny south coast place should logically be fine. Still, yeah, something about "private funicular" just sounds unbearably frivolous. :)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Platystemon posted:

Remind them that it’s only a funicular if it has two cars counterbalancing each other.

Oh yeah, true. Cable car? Aerial tramway?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Slanderer posted:

If I instead posted a photo of a japanese workman, someone would say that his pants are dangerously baggy, and liable to get caught on something, causing potential accidents

I will say that those split-toe boots look great - I bet they give noticeably better control on difficult footing.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Bees on Wheat posted:

I have a friend that was unable to sweat, so his house was always a bit chilly otherwise he might overheat and end up in the hospital (again). Turns out he had undiagnosed type I diabetes, and taking care of that took care of the sweating problem. :downs:

My BF is a well managed type 1, and he still has issues with both high and low temperatures; it's apparently one of those peculiar side effects. Kind of inconvenient with the 30C+ summers we've been having recently, Norwegian houses are by and large not designed to get rid of heat, and apartment buildings typically don't have AC. Ours certainly doesn't.

(He does sweat normally, though.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

peanut posted:

https://workway.jp/information/workday-sale-20200625/

Japan has construction clothes with little fans installed.

I wonder how well that works?

Separately, I love how Japanese webpage and catalog design seems to be permanently stuck in 1996.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Underfloor heating is common enough in Scandinavia that my great grandfather added it in the bathroom when he built his own house in the '50s. Still works fine, though the modern stuff uses more and finer heating wires; it has a couple of hot spots. Nothing extreme, but you don't want to stand on them for more than twenty seconds.

The 1990's city block I live in now doesn't have any, but there are limits to how cold your floors get when there are multiple heated apartments below you.

I wonder if there is any connection between the different interest in underfloor heating and wall-to-wall carpeting between here and the US? It sort of seems like they try to solve the same problem.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I really can't guess where that is - the climate looks temperate, the car plates are european-style, the letters look latin, the cars look fairly new, and the architecture and stop lights are ... hard to place.

Somewhere between Estonia and Nigeria? South America somewhere?

I need to play more geoguesser.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That was my first impression too, but the car plates are all wrong.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ha, I can't believe I missed that.

Caribbean, maybe?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Much like many brutalist buildings, I bet that would look a hundred times better with a lot of plants and some tasteful lighting design.

Admittedly you would need a lot of light to make plants thrive inside that fortress, but I can't say that would be a bad thing.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

By popular demand posted:

While we're still on the razorblade digression I'd like to mention the only cultural reference to that awful 'Just slip the razors here and let the next house owner deal with it' vanity space:
In the 1996 game Bad Mojo you play as a cockroach, to get past a hungry rat you have to drop a stack of used razors on it.

pic not embeded for photorealistic rat cut by razors.
:nms:https://images.gog-statics.com/bbba4614793dbe8f140f9cf05b3355554704769e252633894707725ef7a630d8_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg:nms:

I've never played the game, and I instantly knew what image it was. Huh.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I love the feeling of clothes out of a dryer - we never used fabric conditioner when I was young; everything just came out warm and soft instead. I don't have one where I live now, though; we rent, and I can't really be bothered either leaving one for the owner or trying to move it. Clothes rack in the hallway will do.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That looks like mysost, a spreadable whey cheese which I have tried to make several times with the whey leftover from homemade mozzarella and which I seem to gently caress up every time.

That's because it is. :)
And for whoever said it's a block of caramel, that's also kind of true.

Norwegian brown cheese is basically whey (the liquid that you separate from the cheese curds when you make cheese), plus some milk and cream, caramelized in a pot for a while. If you stop before it's solid, you get prim (messmör, to the Swedes), kind of like a tarter and less sweet dulce de leche. (Vanilla is a fairly common addition). If you go a bit longer, you can cast it into blocks of a cheese-like substance that's technically speaking not cheese at all.

As for the taste, well - it depends. If you start with goat milk, go light on the (goatmilk) cream, and boil it quite dark, you get a tart, slightly sour, product that's very much an acquired taste. I like it, though not on its own; it cuts through dark bread or buttery waffles quite nicely.

On the other hand, if you use mostly cow milk, more cream, and stop earlier, you get a light brown, mild, sweet, caramelly "cheese". I imagine it's still unusual if you've never had it before, but it's much more approachable in that form. Perfectly good on bread; also quite nice on waffles.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 16, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Green Intern posted:

Is that some fuckin Ski Queen? That stuff's delicious.
https://www.norseland.ca/en/products/ski-queen/

Yes, most likely - I think Ski Queen is repackaged Gubrandsdalsost, which is also the best selling variant over here. (There's a few other variants, though).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh my god. The amount of stench that has to be coming from that sink.

There's a trap on the pipe, it should be fine?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My parents live in a house my great grandfather built in the 1950s. There's a pocket door between the kitchen and living room - and it's been completely trouble free for 65 years. Knowing my great grandfather, it's probably running on wheel bearings intended for the landing gear of a a Dornier cargo plane; he was an aircraft repair man and fond of over-engineering.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

kid sinister posted:

"This video contains content from Viacom and ViacomCBS, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
It's not the raw episode, but may still be of interest:
https://youtu.be/euXCmCQFqO8

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Trying to think of absolutely anything that sounds at all appealing when described as "toe-inviting"

A pool, maybe? Make a very 70's non-talking ad of people who sneak out of receptions or family dinners or whatever to dip their feet in a pool, then end on "Viking pools. Toe-inviting. Talk to your local salesman today, or call us at 1-800-LEAVES".

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I kind of like stilt house, if (big if) those poles are on a proper foundation. If nothing else, it's a variation from the spider caverns crawl spaces that seem to often show up in US houses.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

We are testing a humidifier at home, since we spend a lot of time there now and the winter air is bone dry. Combine that with a toilet filler valve that sometimes sticks slightly on, and there was so much condensation on the floor we thought something was leaking.

Good Construction: It's a well done vinyl floor, so we just grabbed a squeegee and pulled it to the shower drain.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My parents' house does that - it's basically a square, and the wall towards the garage has no windows. On the first floor, there's a garage in the way anyway, and on the second floor there was a long walk-in closet all along that wall. The rest of the house has a normal amount of windows. It honestly works fine, even after we removed most of the closet to expand one room with a bed nook and convert some hallway into a small office - it just means there are two rooms that only have windows on one of their two exterior walls. The living room has bookshelves on that entire wall anyway.

It's also a small Norwegian suburbian house from 1955 or so, hand-built (and designed) by my great-grandfather & family; they didn't really have the budget for human trafficking at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

wesleywillis posted:

If they'd spent some more money on human trafficking and less on the house, then they could have added on later.

You know how it is - it's expensive being poor.