Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the 50" Samsung UN50F6300 or the F6300 series in general? It's TV time and after poring over spec sheets for 2012 and 2013 Samsungs, this is the model I've concluded I want.

Checked it out in store and it looked alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Something Offal posted:

I mean, clearly TCL is updating their model basically each year. It's the de facto model to get at the price range. It has lovely vertical banding on a pure grey screen or some sports situations, but the rest of the TV is great. I pulled the trigger on mine.

I'm talking about the 2018 TCL 6 series.

It's impressive to see the Chinese brand give Samsung / Sony / Vizio a run for their money, unfortunately because of years of terrible Chinese TVs people have developed brand loyalty almost like car brands based on perceived quality, so a name like TCL will throw a ton of low-information buyers away. They ought to start a new cool-sounding brand.
Speaking of which, Samsung used to be a brand I trusted implicitly until my UN50F6300 had a) a sluggish, buggy UI and b) a power board that exploded one night with a loud pop while watching TV.

I recently got a PS4 Pro and I'd like to go 4k to get the most out of it. I also like cool and good things for low prices. Cursory research tells me the TCL 55R617 is the way to go?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

TCL 55R615 (55R617) is on sale at Best Buy for $550.. do I finally pull the trigger? Reading these complaints online about dirty screens and banding got me shook.

Judging by this that's about as low as it's expected to get on Black Friday with the added bonus of not having to fight the consumer hordes

Alternately, i can expand the budget a bit and hope for an X900F on Black Friday around 1000-1100

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 27, 2018

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Just went to BB tonight to look at these in person. It seemed as though there were jaggies around text on the TCL 6 series 55", enough to turn me off of it. The X900F was hot poo poo though, hoping I can pick one up for 1k on Black Friday and if not the Vizio P55-F1 was a nice runner-up. Despite it's praise as the hot budget tv this year, the TCL really does look like a budget tv.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Went to a different BB location today for another look. The TCL was the only model that was powered off out of dozens of displays on the wall - hmmmmmmmm. After I turned it on it had a much better display demo vid running than the one at the other store. It appeared to be the manufacturer-supplied one, and I didn't notice any of the offputting issues from the demo I saw last night. At the points where the video was almost entirely white, I couldn't see any hint of banding or text artifacting. It actually looked really friggin good.

Told them I was ready to purchase and they steered me hard away from it, really trying to push the Sony X900F on me. It's unmistakably a nicer display but it's 236% the price of the TCL and defintely not 236% of the image quality. Thought about it for a brief while and ended up just leaving. Gonna go ahead and grab that TCL off the website instead. Thanks for sense checking me, goons.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

It's being delivered from a BB store 5 miles down the road as I understand it, not shipped through UPS or anything. I just couldn't fit it in my car or I'd have bought at the store.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

qbert posted:

Your experience is basically what people are talking about when they refer to the "TCL lottery". If you end up with a good display, you've just snagged a great deal. If you get a bad one, you're gonna have to play the return/replace game a bit. I would've personally just bought the good one you saw in-store, as at least you know exactly what you're getting.
Delivered this morning. I set it up with the Rtings recommended settings, which were basically stock, and put in about a half hour of Fortnite on it. No glaring flaws or noticeable banding, but I didn't go loading up any white screens looking for it. One thing that was noticeable was the difference in input lag from my Samsung UN50F6300. I didn't really expect it to see a difference, but I could immediately tell the controller response was snappier and felt much better to play. So far I'm pretty tickled.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

What is the response time on the new tv compared to your old one?
I'm having a hard time finding response time spec for the F6300 for some reason.

Rtings says the TCL is
80% Response Time
: 6.3 ms
100% Response Time
: 12.4 ms.

I found some Rtings post saying F6300 input lag is 62.5ms in game mode, but posts elsewhere saying it's 40ms in "PC Mode", which I never knew about or used.
Input lag is between 17.8 - 19.6ms for the new TCL, depending on resolution.

Either way, the difference in input lag between the two is highly obvious when playing.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

Whats currently the best TV for gaming for no more than $800?

At least 55” but I really want 60-65” since my current tv is 55”.
Idk about 65" since I was looking at no larger than 55" when buying.. But in that price range your options are basically TCL 55R617 (or Best Buy exclusive model 55R615, which is an identical panel with a lesser-featured remote for $50 less) or Vizio P55-F1, both 55". I bought the TCL Best Buy model recently for $550 and couldn't be happier for what I paid.

The Vizio did look a bit more impressive in the store than the TCL, but I've also heard their 55" P series is not as good as their 65" due to the 55 having significantly fewer dimming zones. It's also ~$200 more than the TCL. You really have to take a look in-person to make a decision.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 3, 2018

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

CordlessPen posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the TCL 6 series? It seems to be getting pretty great reviews, especially for the price, and it seems too good to be true. If I decided to get a new TV, it'D be mainly for HDR gaming on the PS4, so that would be the main criterion.
I got the 55" Best Buy version a couple weeks ago on sale for 550+tax, also for PS4 gaming. Apparently there's a panel lottery with reports of banding or "dirty screen effect", but I've noticed neither issue in mine and it lives up to the internet hype 100%. The input lag is excellent and was immediately a noticeable improvement over my last tv. I've read that TCL has gotten better with panel consistency in their models manufactured since last June, but no idea if there's any truth to that.

My single small complaint about mine is that if you look for it, the corners are slightly darker compared to the rest of the screen but it's not something I ever notice or am bothered by while gaming. A+ would buy again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Not a Children posted:

I'm giving serious consideration to the TCL 55". How precarious is the panel lottery? If may have to try 5 different units before I get an acceptable one (and hey, I'm not really picky but I gotta see what's on the screen), I'll just eat the extra cost to get a brand with tighter tolerances.
I've heard from some random online source I've since forgotten that a lot of the common issues with the panels have been fixed in units manufactured since last June. Anecdotal, but I bought one last month and it looks great, certainly a much better price:performance value than the Sony X900F Best Buy was trying to upsell me to.