Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

And to all the goons, congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I always thought that everyone was congratulating him for joining the LCL when I was a kid. Then again, when I first saw this it was all in Japanese on VHS tapes shipped over here. I was 7 and no one knew any better.

My friend was Japanese and his family had moved here from Japan, and his dad would get stuff shipped over from relatives, including tapes of shows. I would watch with them because GIANT ROBOT GLOWING HAND GRAB THAT OTHER ROBOT CRUSH HIM SHINING FINGER YESSSSS and my friends dad would just sort of summarize what was going on. We had no idea going in what NGE would be. Honestly, memories of the episode going through it are really fuzzy to me. I remember the iconic dancing sequence and a couple other things, but other than that, the memory of watching NGE as a small child is vague, and only filled with frustration.

I'll never forget the day we finished that show. I was angry and confused. Why wouldn't he just kill stuff? Why wasn't he driving the robot? I would have drove it. My friend would have drove it. His dad just kept saying "I know. He's making bad choices." Then the ending happened and all the people that were gone showed up and started clapping and saying the same noises over and over again and it was just making me angry but I didn't understand it. Then scribbles happened and it just stopped. No credits on the recording, just static. I looked over at my friend, and his mouth was sort of open and his eyes seemed dead. I looked up at his dad and asked what happened.

I'll never for the rest of my life forget the cold, empty look on his face as he looked down at me and said, in the softest voice I ever heard from him "And to all the children, congratulations."

If it wasn't for my friend literally getting on his knees and pleading me to come over and try out this awesome new show that wasn't an idiot wasting his robot i swear bro please come over I'd have quit anime forever. Luckily (or unluckily) that show my friend wanted me to see was GaoGaiGar, and I was saved/lost, however you want to look at anime fandom :v:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

1 is theatre, 1.01 is dvd and 1.11 is blu ray. They all follow that convention.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Trap sprung nerd who watches this poo poo anyways

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Abalieno posted:

At which point they'll realize the anime industry peaked with Eva, and only went downhill since ;)

Really, it's quite something if you rewatch the first three episodes of Eva and compare to stuff like Valvrave or Gargantia.

Yeah like how Valvrave is entertaining and makes me want to watch more of it.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

couldnt he use adam as his other power source?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its called thrice in a lifetime because its the third ending of this franchise (ep 26, EoE, now this) not because theres going to be a third time loop or whatever else

i do think theres some sort of situation where this is happening after or right at the end of original nge, like another vision of life in the lcl but one where shinji asserts himself, or perhaps a time thing or whatever. but thats not why the movie is subtitled as it is.

edit i forgot to quote the person i meant to reply to this with it was from a page ago. nine gear crow i think. sorry.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Paper Lion posted:

I always thought that everyone was congratulating him for joining the LCL when I was a kid. Then again, when I first saw this it was all in Japanese on VHS tapes shipped over here. I was 7 and no one knew any better.

My friend was Japanese and his family had moved here from Japan, and his dad would get stuff shipped over from relatives, including tapes of shows. I would watch with them because GIANT ROBOT GLOWING HAND GRAB THAT OTHER ROBOT CRUSH HIM SHINING FINGER YESSSSS and my friends dad would just sort of summarize what was going on. We had no idea going in what NGE would be. Honestly, memories of the episode going through it are really fuzzy to me. I remember the iconic dancing sequence and a couple other things, but other than that, the memory of watching NGE as a small child is vague, and only filled with frustration.

I'll never forget the day we finished that show. I was angry and confused. Why wouldn't he just kill stuff? Why wasn't he driving the robot? I would have drove it. My friend would have drove it. His dad just kept saying "I know. He's making bad choices." Then the ending happened and all the people that were gone showed up and started clapping and saying the same noises over and over again and it was just making me angry but I didn't understand it. Then scribbles happened and it just stopped. No credits on the recording, just static. I looked over at my friend, and his mouth was sort of open and his eyes seemed dead. I looked up at his dad and asked what happened.

I'll never for the rest of my life forget the cold, empty look on his face as he looked down at me and said, in the softest voice I ever heard from him "And to all the children, congratulations."

If it wasn't for my friend literally getting on his knees and pleading me to come over and try out this awesome new show that wasn't an idiot wasting his robot i swear bro please come over I'd have quit anime forever. Luckily (or unluckily) that show my friend wanted me to see was GaoGaiGar, and I was saved/lost, however you want to look at anime fandom :v:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

tenementfunster is an innocent victim of lovely late 00s/early 10s moderation in this community and i stand with him

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

a truly wild amount of effort to an unclear end.

thats nge in a nutshell, both the production and analysis

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I could be talking out my rear end on this but did it also kind of start the subgenre of existentialist mecha shows? Certainly felt like more shows started doing introspection and weird sharp tonal shifts after it aired. Sadly, like the harems that riff off the archetypes in Eva, these shows often take the surface level view of things and don't strike at the meanings behind it. That's not to say Eva doesn't get pretentious a lot of the time (because all that judeo Christian iconography in the visual design and the classical music makes me roll my eyes,) but the underlying script and thematic elements are solid as a rock.

ideon is from 1980

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/bloodberry_tart/status/1414264102030032896

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Eimi posted:

I'm surprised the overall reception here is so positive. I didn't like the rebuilds to begin with and this ending left me with an awful taste in my mouth. There was some good content in the beginning, honestly the best stuff in the rebuilds, but I thought the rest just exemplified the flaws of the movie series, with it descending into just over the top action and robot fights.

i found the action pretty well choreographed and easy to read, which is more than can be said for the action in most modern blockbuster films. also lmao it descends into a long conversation that's been 25 years in the making, not a fight. did you watch the same movie???

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

part of making something with the goal of closure is spelling it all out so that within the text as many people as possible can interpret it themselves rather than have to be told through external sources. you get more closure when you interpret it yourself

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

imagine watching evangelion for 25 years and then coming into this thread after the big finale and actually complaining that everything worked out this time because they actually communicated for once. like, no poo poo? the whole problem has always been lack of communication, no one ever communicated how they felt, we HAVE PERSONAL A.T FIELDS THAT INHIBIT IT, instrumentality's whole point is to destroy the boundries between each other so we don't need to communicate anymore and exist in singularity. original NGE is "i am sad and it is hard to communicate why without feeling judged, but maybe if i try harder at it and accept my feelings and my problems as my own then i will have a better life" and rebuild is "i managed to communicate my needs, and was rewarded with a better life. you can do it too!" these works are entirely consistent and in conversation with each other. one is made by a man in the middle of the throes of depression, making a work that is telling himself the things he needs to tell himself in order to get through the day and maintain some hope that things could ever change for him one day, and the other is by a man that actually came out the other side and is trying to show other people that he understands where they are now but that they can do it too. i do not say this to be mean, but to the poster above saying they're in therapy and that there's no way people would get better by just talking, i can guarantee you that you will have a lot of success opening up and engaging in radical honesty with yourself and others. this film and series of films was literally made for people in your position. keep at it! anno believes in you!!!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

it wasn't that quick, it was at least a month considering when we first arrive there the pregnant lady is a month from delivery and we see her holding her newborn and walking around. the cat also goes from pregnant to walking around with its kitten. hell, the kittens eyes being open takes at least a solid month or two on its own. shinji was able to work through his poo poo because this time people actually just gave him some loving space and respected that he needed time

EDIT

FZeroRacer posted:

this is the funniest message to take away from the series because there are people that are not worth talking to because they reject you or who you are as a person.

and in terms of Bad Dads Gendo ranks pretty high up on the list.
yes, but if you talk to someone and they reject you then you get closure and can stand up for yourself and tell them to kick rocks. its hard, but its better than living in fear of rejection. which is the whole point! stand up for yourself, accept it will be hard but take those steps anyways because your life will be better in the long run! bet on yourself!!!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the spear was hilariously on the nose and people are still misinterpreting it? SHINJI GREW A loving SPINE, IT'S A LITERAL SPINE FROM THE SPACE SHIP. its not magic powers, its loving self confidence!!! christ

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

trucutru posted:

Do Japanese people have a similar idiom? Otherwise I don't see it.

"気骨" (Kikotsu) means spirit or grit, in direct reference to having a backbone. "意気地のない" (Ikujinonai) means cowardly, specifically in a "without a spine" way.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

mondays are so hosed up

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the only way the movie could have managed to be even more in your face is if shinji had reached down and literally touched grass before leaving his house to engage in interpersonal relationships with his friends

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What the gently caress no fly me to the moon?????? Are they insane

yes

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

they were doing stuff together during the timeskip between 2 and 3

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

mari to me seems to be about anno saying that when it comes to opening yourself to other people, some of it is interacting on their terms. one of the joys of meeting new people is letting them influence you, and influencing them in turn. shinji never would have reacted the way he did to mari at the end to anyone else, and it's possible that he's only that playful with her, but the point is that he IS that playful with her. he's spent time around her, accepts her playfulness and reciprocates it. he's show not telling that shinji is capable of understanding others, adapting, and changing, and that it's not scary to do. going outside and meeting new people and having fun with them and growing and changing isn't scary!!! refusing to change or looking down on people that do as people that have somehow compromised who they are in order to "fit in" is some bullshit Rorschach stuff!!!!!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Dessel posted:

Evangelion having been my first anime I actually cared to watch (well, devoured) in fairly impressionable age, I can't actually believe people trying to analyze whatever Anno's intentions or whatever he's hinting or whatever thematics you can draw from xyz in extremely long posts. Sure I can see the mental health depictions in the series in general. I guess I'm not enough of a megafan to give a poo poo. I guess seeing old characters having aged and Shinji being whatever young could be seen as some sort of metaphor for some of the viewers not aging or advancing in their life or some other obvious poo poo. I'm not implying people going to the deep end analyzing the series haven't done so, though.

The latest two films, while somewhat entertaining, felt like Anno huffing his own farts. All the power to him or whatever team/studio to do what they want with the resources they get, I won't fault them for it. I was under the impression Anno didn't want to make more Evangelion at some point, but I couldn't find any references to it. I know the original series had problematic production and I was under the impression the entire stabbing Evangelion away from existence and non-coloured part of the film were very self-referential. The original series, despite its problematic parts, is the only legitimately interesting part of the franchise in my opinion. I guess the Rebuild gave decent nostalgia trips/"remastered" versions of old scenes. I barely remember anything about the older films however.

I didn't really expect anything of the film because where do you go from the previous film. It just feels none of the charm was there in the latest two films and poo poo was essentially just DBZ power level bullshit with NGE coating. I don't doubt that you can deeply analyze million different things in the films and series but I honestly just don't care about that. The original series had some actual grounding and interesting moments whereas I struggle to care about anything happening in the two latest Rebuild films. Talking of grounded I guess the village part of the film was kinda nice, even if I struggled to care about it even fraction as much as I did about any slice of life moments in the original series.

But honestly in the sea of unbelievable horseshit I'm just so mad about the bullshit flying retrofitted battleships that make absolutely no sense and Google isn't helping me.

I'm just hopeful there are no future films I need to care about.

4.0 spoonfeeds the baby viewer all of its themes and messages between symbolism rendered literal and characters saying out loud what they're thinking/doing/what something means and leaves nothing to interpretation, it's not the puzzling brainbuster you think it is. most of the posts in the thread are people just saying what the movie meant to them, there's virtually no debate about what the movie is "about" or what happened or what anything in it means :shrug:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

they didnt face things and grow up while shinji was gone though. asuka was just as toxic and wrapped up in her lashing out to cover for her self loathing, rei was still a blank slate without a sense of identity, and mari didn't need to change because she's already self actualized. part of the ending of 4, with shinji taking action and realizing his issues and working through them, is that he's able to pay it forward when he's in the infinite realm golgotha object whatever and take all the people that were there for him and help them out in return.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i definitely see that and agree with it, but i think it's important to note that she's an evangelion fan with a pretty healthy relationship to evangelion. she just likes the robots and wants to see them fight. she actively rejects all the mysticism about it (iscariot left them to their own devices when poo poo got too up its own rear end, after all) and doesn't seem to use them for working out her trauma or anything more than what they really are: big cool robots that you can animate some whipass fights with

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the angry fans are gendo because they loving hated the way things turned out and have poo poo their diapers and done everything they can to try and make it so they can get the ending they wanted instead

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

people are free to read or take whatever meaning from a work they want to, but the trans shinji stuff always kind of rubbed me the wrong way because it feels like a mix of weird gender essentialism (he cooks and cleans and is mocked for it! uhh...men can do that too tho...) and as said above, picking up on shinjis feelings of alienation and inadequacy and vibing with them as a trans person since those are two identical aspects of these two different situations. i compare it to the trans reading of the matrix, which i think holds a lot more weight even though the wachowskis have straight up said it was not on their conscious minds when making the film. everyone in the matrix (the gender binary) has to take part in it, the red pill being both "getting a case of the genders" and the more literal analogue of how estrogen was an actual red pill in the 90s, the deliberate misnaming by agent smith, there's a lot more meat on the actual bones of the movie whereas a lot of the evangelion stuff is kind of conflating things. people seeing the symptoms shinji has, identifying them as the symptoms they have, and deducing that they must therefore have the same cause when i dont think the text bears that out at all.

but as i said, if thats how you relate to it its cool. im glad you enjoy this stuff and are enriched for your connection to the sad person. just the idea that its "canon" makes me bristle. but then again, what even is canon. who cares. evangelion is dead.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

This article seems to indicate the opposite:

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-53692435

Maybe the entire film wasn't consciously meant to be a trans metaphor, but the character of Switch was intended to be a trans person whose self-conception would appear in the virtual world.

i mean, obviously on some sort of level these ideas were kicking around in their heads considering, ya know, theyre trans lol. and the fact that they wanted to have a character literally express a different gender outside of the matrix from how they express inside it is also obviously part of the reading. i was saying that there IS credence to the matrix is trans thing in comparison to the lack of it for NGE, so im confused if this post was confrontational or supportive, i guess haha

quick edit about the gendo liking rei and shinji wishing it were him thing: i think that kind of falls somewhat back into gender essentialism? the fact of the matter is that gendo likes her because she does exactly what shes told to, unquestioningly, and puts his needs/the needs of men around her above her own at all times, because she was born and bred to do exactly that. it is, in its own way, a very faithful depiction of how a common patriarchal relationship between fathers and daughters is damaging without ever really having to spell it out. i cant imagine looking at one of the most toxic aspects of a patriarchal society is going to inspire thoughts of "god i wish that were me" no matter how depressed you are. but who knows. its not my experience.

though, this is something i bristle against because shinji wants people to accept him but he doesnt want to actually have to ever loving do anything. there are people that will accept you if you sit there, take no responsibility for yourself or others, and just let you be a lovely useless lump forever, but theyre just as toxic as the other kinds of people that you will interact with until you get your poo poo together and do something with yourself and sort out your feelings. citation: kaworu. good friends are the ones in 4.0 that tell you "hey, you cant do anything right now and thats ok and we have patience and space for it, take your time but you gotta get out of it eventually my dude."

Paper Lion fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 26, 2021

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

he likes her in that shes a useful, convenient tool that is dependable and always does what she is told. liking her does not mean recognizing her as a whole person, only liking what she provides. its very typical abuser poo poo, be it from a parent that only "likes" their kid when they bring home straight a report cards and plays piano well at dinner parties, or from a partner that will lovebomb you to get what they want and go ice cold when you try setting a boundary or questioning their motives.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Weird BIAS posted:

The only thing re: Rei I’d argue is that just because we know Gendo is a poo poo to Rei doesn’t mean Shinji knows he’s a poo poo to Rei at the start of the series.

the first time he meets this girl, shes being wheeled out in a hospital bed covered in bandages and obviously on deaths door from wounds due to driving the robot, and he is told that if he does not do it then she will be forced to do it again. hes acutely aware of their relationship.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i feel like the signal to the audience that gendo is a bad dude that will risk a childs life should also be a signal to one of the characters in the show that he will do that as well. but maybe shinji is dumber than a literal 6 year old watching it in a language he doesnt understand. because that was me and i realized gendo was a bad man hurting the blue haired girl when i first watched it. idk.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

rei's utility as a proficient, obedient pilot>shinji's higher synchro rate and lovely attitude, of course he'd save her (though that very specific instance was possibly also a triggered reaction considering yui vanished under identical circumstances). like i said, its got nothing to do with rei's personality or even personhood, its pure math for gendo, so of course he'd flash her some fake smiles and try to keep her calm and amenable when possible.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

thats literally all i ever wanted eva to be my whole life

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

What was Mari's personal issue or mental struggle?

liking shinji ikari

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

for as much as i generally dislike nge, i must also give it credit in that for the time period, the cheese stands alone in terms of what it was doing and how it was trying to do it. id argue that ideon was the only truly comparable show when nge came out, and it took a while for its inspiration to really hit th emedium in a meaningful way rather than just an aesthetic or "art team thats all fans of the show making references to it" kind of way

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

im of the mind that "why doesnt he just get into the robot?" is an honest, valid criticism of the show, but the reasons why that question is pertinent are a lot deeper than many people consider. mecha anime and magical girl shows have a fair amount of subtext in common, most importantly that both are genres about otherwise normal or average people given special means that allow them to ascend into an idealized form. the promise is always clear: if you hang out with the talking cat, you can step into your power and protect the world from inter-dimensional witches. if you let the suspicious doctor with an eyepatch that yells about getter rays do experiments with you, you can do martial arts in his robot and get the Good Fights you've always been looking for. there's an exchange, a promise that if you do the thing (the pseudoscience or magic talking cats tend to be a shortcut analogue for having new friends, touching grass, and living your life), then there will be something better for you, some kind of self actualization through your new avatar.

nge entirely rejects this premise. to be absolutely clear about my criticisms of the show, this is NOT INHERENTLY A FLAW. this rejection is why it is so commonly labelled as a deconstruction. the issue is in how it does so mechanically. shinji never steps into that power, even as he sees other people do it whether it is for himself or others. he refuses the symbol of self improvement. but the reasoning behind it never adds up, because its entirely in his head. he might be a tool, but only because he makes himself one. they need him. in the structure of the show, he is the randian superman. shinji can shrug at any moment, gently caress off to whatever he considers his galts gulch and doom humanity, his robot standing inert as an angel destroys everything. shinji from the very beginning has all the cards. misato doesnt press gang him, she rolls up and says your father needs to talk to you. its right there in the language! gendo needs shinji. again, i stress, this is all fine and not the issue with the show. the issue is that he never grows out of his initial cucked mindset until movie 4.

what does paragraph 2 have to do with the first paragraph? the show fails to present shinji or even at times the viewer with the idea of the idealized notion of the robot as the actualization of the self. taking actions into his own hands and standing up for himself is thrown out as an option wholesale, both in the text and by the creator (which im not saying to accuse anno of being a hack, that was just also his depressed mindset at the time. it still negatively impacts the show as art however). shinji literally cannot conceive of the eva itself, of driving the eva, or even of reflecting on his experiences in the eva as helping himself or those around him.if you told early nge shinji that he was a tool, he would reply "how am i a tool if i cant be used to do anything" because his self opinion is less than dirt. shjinji experiences very, very mild growth by the end of the show/eoe, but it has nothing to do with the experiences he has piloting the eva. the action almost never literalizes an internal struggle or issue (which is part of the appeal of the mecha/magical girl genres. only notable example of the show actually doing this well: the dance fight episode) and it is clear that the act of having to drive the robot in the situations where he is forced or acquiesces never actually have any impact on him. he is repeatedly forced to become his best self, to at least go through the motions of self improvement, and it leaves no lingering impact on his outlook or opinions. he just reverts back to being a self absorbed sad sack. a protagonist having 0 momentum is not really that interesting! im not asking him to be guy shishio or domon or anything hot blooded, im just asking for this human being to be shaped and affected by the experiences we see him have slowly, and not very suddenly in the last 2 minutes of the last episode.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Shinji is child soldier. He is shaped by his experiences because he develops PTSD.

yes, and the literal tends to get sidlined for the abstract (or the abstract literalized) especially in this genre. what matters is he is presented something that we as an audience casually understand to be self improvement (the robot is not always self improvement itself but can also be the action of improving ones self) and refuses it through circular logic. the reason why the rebuild movies are so much better is because that circular logic is missing. its an actual story about growth, not a story about stagnation with the ending being the protagonist realizing growth is even an option. original nge/eoe is just far less satisfying, not only in a crowd pleasing general way but also in a real pointed message (rebuild being "get out of your shell and bet on yourself, you can do it!!!" not only makes for a more engaging and dynamic story, but also provides multiple angles with which to look at it. not everyone deals with being a tool or the hedgehogs dillemma, but everyone deals with insecurity and picking up their lives. seeing ordinary people do so is part of the trio's big final development in 4!), and original nge/eoe runs the risk of being misinterpreted by sadbrains.

Paper Lion fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the point im making is that the show is very muddy about those things though. like i said, its not inherently a bad thing for the robot to not represent an idealized form or self improvement, its that it generally always does (and viewers at the time were certainly not primed for any other interpretation, consciously or subconsciously) so the initial impact of whether anno intends it that way, along with the show showing us that whether or not he wants to do it, it is objectively the correct thing to do (otherwise everyone dies, which is generally not the morally correct outcome!!!) just leaves a confusing mess. why SHOULD i empthasize with shinji, a person that isnt trying to do anything or have any real reason that outweighs getting in the robot? he also as you say does get in it, but he never chooses to, which to me is a big part of why he takes nothing from the experiences. its nothing but false dichotomies, which again are just not interesting no matter how sympathetic i am to anno who was at the time living with mental illness severe enough that his real actual life looked similarly to those false dichotomies.