Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ethiser posted:

The Rebuild movies were becoming something different every movie. The first movie was basically a one to one retelling. In the second one things started to diverge from the original series. Then the third movie comes along and goes way too hard in a different direction. If we had gotten another movie between the second one and the third one that made the transition smoother it would have worked much better.
Well there is the whole Kishotenketsu concept which might come into play in a four-part Japanese film series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Anno and co. seem pretty likely to be up to date on Western sci fi, or at least what was contemporary for them, considering they named their resin kit business after a Larry Niven company.

Anyway, I think this is probably the direction 4.0 will take. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjSyKX-hpQs

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Didn't Gainax kind of sucker ADV and set an expectation that even poo poo-rear end anime would get a huge licensing fee in America?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What's the end of eva dub screw up?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

bare bottom pancakes posted:

But this series is explicitly Jungian with Freud thrown in for weirdness

:goonsay:

I figure you have to engage with Freud to some extent just since he's foundational.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

surf rock posted:

- On that topic, why does the blue-hair lady need to wear a skin-tight suit while Shinji can just wear his street clothes? Maybe he gets an actual suit to wear when they're not in a rush. Or maybe he doesn't need the suit because apparently he has a telepathic connection to the robot?
If I remember right, the gimp plug suits have support gear and telemetry but it's the head clips that are the actual signal transmitty things.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

Because of waypoints doing their review I decided to give the show a rewatch for the first time in like 2 decades and man it still makes me super uncomfortable to watch but it is very intense and pretty while it does it. Its a testament to how well its made when they can make a bazillion dollars off of it even with it's incredibly disturbing parts. EoE was made becuase everyone wanted a real ending and he hated his fans right?
I imagine that EoE was made primarily because the show was a success in the end. I believe the later parts that refer to angry emails etc. are in some sense rooted in "hating the fans," definitely, but that had they not spent all their money on hiring Grandis cosplayers to step on them, they would have probably had some action sequences similar to the front half of EoE in the show itself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I do remember reading that Anno was somewhat frustrated that he made Rei as a deconstructed version of the shy yamato nadeshiko girl and was disgusted that everyone embraced her despite her creepy details. If we have learned anything from the last twenty years, it is that subversion rarely executes the way you want it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stalin-Chan posted:

its really cute that japan and the anime industry thinks that movie theaters are even going to exist a year from now when we all emerge from quarantine and the capitalist landscape has permanently shifted into a post covid world.

just release it on the internet and bluray already thanks
I'm trying to get Mr. Gainax on the phone to update him but I think he's playing one of those mobile games for perverts.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

pentyne posted:

NGE was set up to fail from the beginning as a tax dodge scheme so the studio exes told the creator to do whatever he wanted and when a severely depressed artist is given free range to express themselves you can get some truly stunning work as a result.
Can you give more details on how NGE is the plot of The Producers IRL?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Console Role Player posted:

What little I know comes from reading the Notenki Memoirs, but Gainax the Animation Studio was basically being held afloat financially by Gainax The Quasi-Adult PC game developer and General Products, Gainax's Garage Kit and model manufacturing operation. These many wings of the company were being managed by geeks that had little knowledge of Japanese financial law and accounting, and they at best didn't know how to manage the finances and taxes of a company that size or at worst intentionally defrauded the Japanese Government. Either way it ended in a high profile audit during Evangelion's run and the rest, as they say, is history.
I did know about the tax fraud, I just thought that was run of the mill, Wesley Snipes "never pay taxes again, and see what happens" kind of stuff.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought Tokyo-3 was supposed to have been pretty bustling but after Sachiel attacked 90%+ of the civilian population got the gently caress up to Nagano or something rather than get murdered by a monster.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fly Ricky posted:

So SEELE is the deep state, the 3rd/4th impact is the Great Reset, and NERV is arresting Hilary. Do I have this right?
Yui Ikari didn't kill herself. That's all I'm saying.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Narzack posted:

The whole whiny Shinji thing is something that I never really got, even as a younger dude. He's a child, with a dead mother, an AWFUL father, stuck into a nightmare war that he doesn't understand or have any training at all for, he's abused and exploited by adults, tortured mentally by Asuka and beaten up by his peers, nearly dies over and over, is forced by his father to explode someone who finally starts showing kindness, and STILL keeps getting back in the Eva. AND HE'S A CHILD. It never made sense to me, the way people hate him.

EDIT: Rebuild 3 should be called EVERYONE IS A TOTAL DICK TO SHINJI.
Probably hit too close to home. :v: How did Shinji get over with the Japanese audience?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Excuse me but in Final Fantasy 4-year-olds and 6-year-olds bravely face their deaths and existntial crisis without running away or whining.

And in Gundam, Kamille would have just punched Gendo and also probably shot everyone at NERV.

Honestly, What If situations with other anime youngers instead of Shinji always intrigue me. Imagine Light Yagami in his place. Shinji is just the odd child out.
Personally I think Reginald from Nendroid would have been the most performatively masculine pilot for Evangelion Unit One, and as such, would have both beaten the Angels and made Dad respect him. Beartato would have made friends with Rei and taught her how to ride bikes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nuebot posted:

He doesn't get into the sick rear end robot and punch the giant monsters though.

Honestly that's the bulk of it. To this day I know people who refuse to listen to anything and still insist that shinji has zero character growth or development he just whines and complains and does nothing the whole series because their view of the show is constantly reinforced by the memes.
It has always astounded me whenever I run into someone who has clearly internalized the narrative of something from a ten minute video, or similar, and who now spends hundreds of hours expounding on that video, against some hypothetical fan who disagrees.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

They're a biomechanical weapon with no consciousness that won't work unless a 13 year old is inserted into them and bathed in alien menses.

Except for the times they just go bugfuck and start working on their own.

Or when they accidentally absorb their pilots. Or when the sync between pilot and Eva is so great it causes physical harm to the pilot.

I wonder if the official line being "They're giant robots!" was why the Jet Alone was such poo poo. Like a PS4>Xbone style failure of corporate intelligence.
To be fair to the military-industrial complex, I believe at the time of Jet Alone there had been what, two? Angel Attacks where you could actually see poo poo, and possibly some earlier stuff based on estimates of infrastructure etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

name an interpersonal relationship in Evangelion between anyone or anything that doesn't end tragically
Kaji didn't seem to cause Shinji any direct problems

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

Pen Pen is a good boy and is everyone’s friend.
That penguin can read and drink beer. I don't trust him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

Aren't the Evas actually fully biological creatures? I could swear somewhere in the show Ritsuko says something about all that armor actually being for restraint rather than protection, and we see when arms are exposed without the armor covering them that they look human. I've always assumed that if you removed all the armor from an Eva it would look pretty similar to a human, freaky eyes aside.
I think they cyborg them up pretty good... their heads can be replaced, and while they'd be humanoid, I doubt they'd look very human. I remember noticing the entry plug looks like it was put into some kind of a pithing hole.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Given that Gainax was doing some mutual congratulatory handshakes with the Next Generation team I would not at all be shocked if Anno was up to date on DS9. Now the interesting question is if it was being aired in Japan with dubs or something or if he had to get fansubs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Some day Anno's gonna drop that he's never watched Ultraman or seen Godzilla and he just goes by what he thinks they would have been like.
David Lynch never read Dune, I'm told.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought the tax evasion was because Eva was a smash hit well beyond anything they had hoped - they were thinking it might be as impactful as Nadia or something. So they started evading taxes. One guy said he was just trying to put something away for the future because who could say that Gainax would ever make something as successful again?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

modern hr would not be happy with his interaction with female employees though. he's definitely among the best adjusted in the series (maybe fuyutsuki is up there, at least when it comes to self awareness?), but i get why some people find him problematic, even if it sometimes gets overstated
Fuyutsuki may be self aware, but he seems to have basically let Gendo bully him into all of this poo poo, and he also spends his golden years sitting in a goddamn empty base playing chess with himself. (It was kind of sad that his VA's aging matched the character's, if also appropriate.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

He's not even gonna score!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It is not a shipping question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Pen-Pen is innocent.
That bird knows what he did