Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interestingly enough, Zyuranger was not the first sentai that was adapted for english audiences. Back in the 80's USA aired a parody dub of Dynaman, it only lasted for 6 episodes but here you go.

There was also a complete english dub of Bioman that aired in the Philippines. You can find it here.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

And Dekaranger.

I never really got that, was Umeko actually supposed to be the leader of the team or did she just think she was?

But yeah as mentioned there's been 2 female reds so far (though only 1 in sentai) and 1 female green if you count Mele from Gekiranger. No male pinks technically but Gokaiger did do an All-Pink transformation in one of the movies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does anyone get the feeling that Kyoryuger might be one of the shorter seasons? We're 8 episodes in and it seems like the plot has been moving along rather quickly lately.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Depending on your interpretation, I'd probably have to say Abaranger.

Under the same interpretation you could count Magiranger. Hell, AbareBlack and Magimother were literally the first rangers we saw in their respective series.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 17, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here's something I found recently, english versions of Sentai openings (Some of which actually sound pretty good). Not sure if there are any more but here's what I found:

Carranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL7da4mOTxk

Megaranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyGO7nXWKA&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=2

Gingaman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qGmHqLlQrA&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=1

GoGoV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWpw2-OPnbU&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=3

Timeranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj_boO281nE

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 28, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know about the others but the English Carranger OP (I don't know if it's that particular one) actually shows up in an episode of the show.

What episode was that? I'm pretty sure the Megaranger OP is from Megaranger Vs Carranger and apparently the Gingaman theme shows up in episode 43 of its respective series. Not sure about the GoGoV or Timeranger ones though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 27, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Pretty sure Turbo is considered one of the worst if not the worst season of Power Rangers, mostly because the blue ranger is a little kid who magically becomes adult sized when he transforms.

Sentai technically did that first (Kou from Dairanger). Though it should be noted that both franchises only tried the little kid as a ranger thing once and then never again(aside from one episode of Gekiranger but I'm not sure if that really counts). I didn't find Kou quite as annoying as Justin but I still don't think its something that should be attempted again.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 30, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh yeah, forgot about him. And not really Sentai related but there was also Big Bad Beetleborgs (Saban's adaption of the Metal Heroes show Beetle Fighter) where all the main heroes were children.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well, if you want to count HK Subs then technically yes, all of Hurricanger has been subbed. There's a playlist of the whole series here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUbtFtgQuh-xD7vXwldNF8xxllkX9TIBf

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 9, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Nothing is better/worse than the Kamen Rider Black RX subs.

For the ENTIRE series they're entirely coherent and even get the names right. They're almost perfect HK subs.

And then the last two episodes poo poo themselves so hard they stain their own teeth.

Yeah I know all about that, I was just saying that there were technically subs available. Though I do remember the Hurricanger subs being slightly more coherent then, say, Abaranger was (Seriously, they couldn't even get the NAME of the series right on that one) but still not that great.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 9, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

So was hippo anyone from Gobusters itself or just some random guy they had in the movie? I can't remember him from anywhere.

I assumed he was Usada's voice actor since he was standing next to him in the end credits (Gorisaki and Nick's VA's also made cameos in the movie).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

I assume Gorisaki's was the guy who picked up the heat pad that Ryuuji dropped?

Yeah, that was him. Nick's was the guy that asked him for directions shortly after he arrived in the other world.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 5, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They do get some development later on to humanize them a bit but I understand your point, I never really bought that the Livemen were supposed to be friends with these people.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Classic Twisty posted:

They literally started out as friends tho?

You wouldn't know it seeing the first episode though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hurricanger: 10 Years After has now been subbed by Over-Time.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 18, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rei_ posted:

Yeah! I caught the episode on stream having dropped it for a while and I was like... i... Is this the last episode? Maybe that's just how Sentai rolls now? GoBusters had like four finales.

Considering there was a next episode preview at the end and we still haven't seen KyoryuSilver yet I'm guessing no. Probably getting close though, I'd say maybe 13-14 more episodes at the least(or maybe less considering how quickly this show's plot seems to be moving).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 28, 2013

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Super Hero War Z has now been subbed by Over-Time.

http://over-ti.me/releases/shtz/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

There was also this floating around

http://i.imgur.com/fdXxaL4.jpg
I'm guessing Torin has to use Deathryuger after Daigo's dad takes Kyoryu Silver

Also if you look closely you may notice that Cyan's costume has a skirt in that picture. Perhaps Yuko takes over for Ramirez at some point?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I guess the Wizard of Oz motif for the villians in the series applies to more then just appearances then. The Scarecrow got a brain (Luckerio deciding to leave the Deboss legion), the Tin Man found his heart (Aigaron confessing to Candelira and attempting to atone for his actions), Dorothy's found a new home and I'm guessing eventually the Lion is going to find his courage and break free from Endolf's control.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 28, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Who's the red guy next to Big One?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Trill Twisty posted:

All of KR have really bad plots. Half the time they say "uh, time.travel..plot finished"

Are there any Rider series that have an at least somewhat statisfing conclusion?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, why is it that most people refer to the series as Kamen Rider and not Masked Rider which is both the literal and, according to Toei, official translation of the title? Hell, in Kabuto they literally refer to it as the "Masked Rider System". Does it have everything to do with not wanting to be associated with Saban's ill-fated take on Black RX by the same name?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The man called M posted:

Some things I noticed:

It's almost as if the producers were apologizing for Kyoryuger not killing off a ranger by having everyone dead from the start.

Ahahahhahahahahah OT is going to have fun with the ending credits.

Train Facts:suicide:

Except they did sort of kill off a ranger: Torin. And since he was the last to formally join the team the "Dino Curse" as it were was still technically fulfilled. Not to mention the fact that we had two rangers that were already technically dead before the series started.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Serperoth posted:

I think we just found the plot for Akiba 3.
"Kamen Sentai Akibarider". Fund it, Toei.

Seriously though, I would love to see an Akibaranger-style show only for Kamen Rider. Lord knows there's plenty to make fun of in that franchise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Yuko has Kamen Rider experience as well, she was the Triceratops Dopant. And Ahim from Gokaiger was the sister in the Energy Dopant episode, both from W.

And Nao of course was the Invisible Dopant

Didn't Yuko's actress play Rinko in Wizard as well?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 24, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jonjonaug posted:

Finished up with Kamen Rider Amazon.

Things I liked: Pretty much everything about the first half of the show, the monster designs, the fights (especially in the first half), having the protagonist be always shirtless (dat body), and the villains actually got to straight up murder a bunch of people a lot. The last few episodes especially had people being melted or disintegrated in droves. I also liked how the final villain plot was literally just "nuke Tokyo" without any pretenses of mutants or mind control plots or whatever; they were simply just going to blow up Tokyo with a nuke.

Things I disliked: Way too many mind control plots and the general overuse of "Masahiko is in trouble!" plots (that kid is going to have crazy PTSD later in life, they already showed him having nightmares about his "adventures"). The retool halfway through the show impacted the quality pretty hard. Even though it was still pretty entertaining even when Amazon wore a shirt and talked in mostly complete sentences and didn't chew on the monsters it definitely paled in comparison to the sheer guts of the first half. Great Emperor Zero wasn't as cool as Ten-Faced Demon too, so the change in villains midway through also kinda hurt. Mole had the dumbest death; mold of all things, really?

Overall it was a good show. I enjoyed it quite a bit even if it got hit by the retool stick pretty hard. I'll probably be watching W, Kuuga, OOO, or Fourze next. After KLK I think I'm set for Nakashima writing for a while, so Fourze's the least likely.

Was there a particular reason why Amazon was one of the shortest Toku(Rider or otherwise) series to date? It only ended up being 24 episodes long, even Akibaranger beats that out if you count both seasons as a whole.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not sure what continuity errors you're referring to. If you mean Torin being there, even though the Vs movies come out after the show is over, the Vs movies themselves usually take place around the middle/early end of the newer team, and after the end of the old team. This is why Jin was gone but Torin was still around.

As far as other continuity errors, a good portion of Vs movies are non-canon to the series. I know for a fact Go-Onger Vs Gekiranger was, because they used G12 in it, and Yogostein was still around (Yogostein was killed by G12's first appearance). The part where it gets weird is apparently the Vs movies are canon as far as Gokaiger is concerned (I think the events of Go-On Vs Geki are referenced in some Gokaiger promotional material) which would mean the series themselves are actually not really canon in those cases, but I think the number of cases where the Vs movies are non-canon relative to the series itself is probably pretty low.

Or you could repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

I believe there are only two VS movies that actually take place after the newer series has finished: Goranger VS JAKQ and Gingaman VS Megaranger.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

Speaking of spelling, what's the deal with Goranger vs Gorenger? I've seen it both ways and can't get a definitive answer on which is correct.

I have the same question about Denjiman Vs Denziman.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jonjonaug posted:

I'm about a dozen episodes into OOO. I can't get enough of Ankh. So far I've liked the first quarter or so of the show a lot more than I liked the first quarter or so of W. The quality is a lot more consistent.

E: Oh my god Ankh's little hissy fit in episode 13. He is too much. :allears:

Out of curiosity, is Ankh played by the same actor that played Long in Gekiranger?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rei_ posted:

And like all things in Wizard his character starts off very promising and then rolls over and goes to sleep and the audience is left going...so...do we just keep watching then (no)

I'm about a dozen episodes into Wizard at the moment and while it's not the best Rider series I've seen so far, it doesn't seem that bad either. At what point do things start going off the rails?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Potsticker posted:

I honestly straight up forget that there was a sidekick character in Decade most of the time.

Especially since Yusuke seemed to forget he was a Kamen Rider half the time. Didn't he only transform like maybe 4 or 5 times total in the whole series?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Amazon improves Wizard 100%

What is this from?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If you don't want to put up with TV-Nihon subs there is a surprisingly good english dub of it that aired in the Philipines.

Also, is Tendou supposed to be a parody of that kind of character or are we actually supposed to take him seriously? Because while I'm liking the series so far the whole Mr. Perfect routine is kind of becoming annoying. And out of curiousity, do we ever meet this much talked about grandmother of his?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 21, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rei_ posted:

Decade is 2 parts awful show, 1 part Shinichiro Shinikura really loves trolling the poo poo out of the Rider fandom (he came up with the Heisei vs. Showa poll for the last Rider War if you remember). Somewhat inadvertantly but he's also a really like, numbers-oriented Producer, for instance, he was the producer who was involved with Tsuyoshi Kida and Shiniji Oishi leaving Hibiki, and being replaced with Toshiki Inoue. (I think he comes onboard literally around episode 31 and brings the new writing staff with him? idk a lot of this poo poo is hard to research.)

But somewhere in there, there's something I really enjoy about it.

On the same subject, is there a reason why they decided to make the Rider World's alternate retellings of the series being tributed rather then just a straight continuation of it like Gokaiger did (stuff like Kiva being a literal child, Faiz taking place in a high school or Agito where all three main riders were the same person)? And for that matter, did any actors who played the previous Riders in their respective series even reprise their roles in Decade or were they all replaced by new people?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Yes sir! They also had Agito's actor back in the movie and Kiva's actor was kinda reprising his role. Also we got voice only roles from Ixa/the Hopper Bros/and Ouja. All four of those guys also did voice overs for a stage show of all things, so I can't imagine they'd be hard to get back for much anything else.

Didn't Den-O's actor also provide the voices for most if not all of the main Imagin in both his own series and Decade as well?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though the thing is there were plenty of plot threads in Decade that they could have built a story around but none of them ever really went anywhere. Hell, once they ran out of Heisei Riders they could have had Tsukasa visiting Showa worlds for the second half of the show, maybe ending with the world of the original Kamen Rider. That might have been interesting.

Instead they just scattered them around in movies and original worlds with the exception of Black/RX and Amazon. On the other hand, the series did feature the first Sentai/Rider crossover which wasn't bad (Although technically Power Rangers did it first in this case).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 8, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the Sentai side of things there were also dubs made for Goranger (Which are pretty terrible actually, it's like they just had the episode play with the Japanese audio intact and just recorded people talking over it), JAKQ (Haven't found this one), and Bioman (Probably the most competently done of the 3. Aside from changing a lot of the names and some of the voice work leaving a lot to be desired it's a pretty faithful translation of the original.) Not sure if there were any others though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Cross posting this from the Gaim thread, for anyone who could use it.

"OK, one quick thing to know about Kamen Rider Black- after the first two episodes, the head writer said screw this and left. This is not a joke about how aimless the first ten or so episodes are-this is the reason.

The head writer, for some reason, felt like he was under too much pressure with this all and literally left. Meaning the show had no writer and no direction and it really kinda shows. Also just because something is filler doesn't mean it's BAD. It just has nothing to do with the plot. Black is a fantastic MOTW show, but that is hard to marathon.

I am including some questionably filler things, most notably the Bike focus episodes because the bikes have cahracter-but those are important for the end game. You'll understand.

Now onto the guide!

3 is optional but it shows Black in his first big real super hero moment.
5 is total filler but it has some fun atmosphere
7 Battle Hopper
12 ROADSECTOR
21 BATTLE HOPPER
25 ROADSECTOR
28 This requires a bit of explanation- this is technically filler, but it, at the end, changes the dynamic between Black and a certain villain, and pushes things towards the finale in a subtle way
44 is utter filler and not a great episode, but it more or less leads straight into the next one thematically. You can skip though

There ya go. Kamen Rider Black, distilled to 24 episodes. "

Thank you very much, I'm working on Black right now and this should be very helpful to me. I know you've said you don't like it that much but do you think you could make a simmilar guide for RX?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Potsticker posted:

This is my hope for Drive. Like there's some sort of Road Shocker that kidnaps people and turns them into racing robot karate cyborg bugmen and the hero's sense of justice causes him to turn on his creators. And there's a shadow robot karate cyborg bugman for him to clash against.

I'd honestly like to see them do a cyborg Rider again for old times sake, if only to see how they would work with it in a more modern setting.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only series I can think of where this doesn't hold true are Kabuto, Fourze, and I suppose Hibiki if you assume the Oni aren't related to the villains (and who knows if they were supposed to be in the original plot).

Has it ever been said what the original intended ending for Hibiki was supposed to be?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I honestly don't remember this, but it's been years since I watched Kabuto.

I think the only thing that's known for sure is Asumu would have become the next Hibiki.

Though to its credit that's pretty much what they did in the Hibiki crossover in Decade.

• Locked thread