Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I really don't know anything about the various sub groups, but man that TV Nihon nonsense is whack.

Also, at risk of digging up a discussion from the old thread: Kamen Rider Hibiki's ED is the best song ever. This should be logged for posterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not even my other friend who tries to constantly get me to watch Decade with him will defend Wizard.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Oh, and I guess Kuuga is there, too.

I will never accept Onodera into my heart.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Agito is pretty bad but I just can't hate the G3 or that really great first episode.

I just can't.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Korean toku with Sakamoto as... director? Showrunner? Probably going to be heavy on wirework, not that I dislike such a thing.

Looks neat, from the teaser. Also looks incredibly green.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Potsticker posted:

From the not-CG stuff, the suit looks incredibly bulky. So much so that the suitactor seems to have trouble moving in it.

Yeah, you're right. So I guess they're going to be doubling up on the wires and CG then.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

It's a shame that RX is apparently so bad, because I love its theme song.

It's pretty awesome, yeah.

Also a friendly reminder that RX was used to make the even worse Masked Rider Saban series.

Runa fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 9, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Drive continues to look so drat goofy.

My hopes remain high. :allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That first episode was everything I expected it to be (those tiny tiny cars :allears:) and did a good job showing off the new gimmicks and using them. Detective guy isn't as charismatic as Gaku Sano but if he can move fish sausages then everything will be a-okay.

Really digging that theme song, too.

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Well you could have done worse. My first one I watched in real time was Kiva.

oh god

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Burkion posted:

I dislike just how toy-like the toys look this year, specifically the extra cars, they look like they JUST took the toys from the shelf and gave them to the actor, but whatever.

While KR's always been a children's show, it definitely feels like the "little kids and big(ger) kids" demo split between Super Sentai and Kamen Rider has been getting softer and softer. I'm guessing it has to do with Super Sentai consistently getting its audience eaten up by Pokemon and other videogame-merchandise-based properties, meaning that KR has to pull double duty on the toy pushing.

Which means more audaciously goofy everything.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Good ol' Hong Kong subs, for when all else fails.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I agree.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm okay with Gaim becoming the new elephant in the room.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anybody want to give a rundown of the post-Kuuga shows up to Decade? I haven't seen enough of them to give more than cursory glance impressions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ryubee, he's everybody's daddy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Defending TVN from people making GBS threads on them doesn't make very much sense when a not-insignificant part of the reason why TVN's being shat on by so many various fan communities is their own attitude. They're a primadonna group who got big and proud by virtue of being first and the best thing one can say about them is that their ubiquitous presence in the toku fan community inspired other, even more hard-working and level-headed people to put in even more effort to translate this stuff for everybody else. Often in a timely manner, to boot. Not to say that TVN didn't allegedly try to stop their erstwhile competition through petty and underhanded means, but even that's less important to people than the actual quality of their work.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When in doubt: because Toys.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes, Kamen Rider's relatively recent uptick in toyeticism is the real root of Super Sentai's toy problems. Both franchises' collection obsessions are most certainly not part of Toei's decade-long arms race with Pokemon and other, newer toy+anime collectable franchises for the wallets of young childrens' parents all over Japan.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Welcome to the old new tradition.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rei_ posted:

The Gaim crossovers in general were some of the highlights of the series in a really bizarre and weird way I didnt expect and often gave levity to really dire moments and at least had the courtesy to happen during cliffhangers and not like, in the middle of a loving thing.

They also had the benefit of showing lighter sides to the characters and letting them react in ways that made sense for the characters but weren't what the shows typical circumstances called for, which is what seperates a good crossover from like, bad fanfic.

We got to see Takatora never notice a giant train robot wreck poo poo outside his window. And then we got to see Kouta hanging out with his new replacement puppy robot buddy, and Sengoku Ryoma shoved his brain into a bad robot because he could.

The Gaim crossovers were alright in my book.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just wanna know if Gou's gonna be okay. :(

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Ok, seriously? No one's talking about Chase's new form?
Spoiler pic: http://i.imgur.com/ck5zzND.jpg

Thanks for posting a pic, I was getting curious.

I think he looks pretty neat, though I still think Mach is visually my favorite of the batch.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Because it's funny.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goddamn I don't know what to name my studio, my team, my anything.

I probably should've thought of this stuff before starting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This was actually mentioned in the first episode of Gundam Unicorn. Mobile Suits and Mobile Armors that transformed in the sense of "henkei" had existed in the setting prior to Unicorn, and in the case of MSes they changed from humanoid form to something else entirely, like a plane a la Macross, while Mobile Armors could be just about anything. The Unicorn Gundam, however, was noted to explicitly not change via "henkei," but through "henshin." To paraphrase the official subtitles, it didn't transform, it morphed. It retained its humanoid form, though the details of its body where changed.

So guessing based on picking things up from context, I'm assuming henkei specifically means "change form," henshin means "change body," and maybe henge is to change in a more general sense.

One of you guys who actually knows Japanese might wanna fill us in, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't forget to watch Double.

Geddy Krueger posted:

Drive toy stuff

To add to the Declassified Document, I was not expecting one of Drive's helmets to look that slick.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cyphoderus posted:

delightfully gimmicky suit gimmick :allears:

The currently-airing car-themed Rider is a police detective who leads a fleet of intelligent hot wheels toys that drive around on magical flying snap-together plastic roads.

It's a gimmicky-rear end-gimmick and also fantastic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Wow, they sure are pushing this toy cars thing pretty loving hard"

*twenty episodes later*

"I need Deco Traveler in my life." :shepspends:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, I really don't think it's going to happen, but the Drive preview kind of almost hints at Kiriko becoming Drive???

I know it won't happen, but what if it did?

Please don't get my hopes up

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Drive is pretty fun but it's very different from Gaim. Gaim is a bit nonindicative of the current crop of KR series in that it's a serial drama dominated by a consistent story arc while most other series are episodic. For all its faults, it's basically a better-written throwback to the 2001-2010 style of Kamen Rider, and even the "Rider" bit is kind of vestigal.

Since Double/W, shows have been generally more lighthearted with largely, though not entirely, self-contained biweekly stories. In fact this format was so successful in Double that it kind of became the new formula, one that Gaim's writers deliberately eschewed and that Drive more or less embraces. Drive's main writer was also the main writer for Double.

I'd recommend giving Drive a shot, it's funny with just a hint of self-awareness from its lead. Early Tomari's kind of a smartass to the monsters, it's great. When Mach gets introduced the sillyness gets spread around and he takes up the role of the somewhat more straight-laced senior Rider, but as the cast is generally very bubbly and energetic it's better when everyone gets to bounce off each other.

As you can probably guess I also recommend Double because it's just fantastic overall. I'd rank it as the best of the modern Rider shows and it sets the tone for most of the franchise post-aughties.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And Gaim was just on the tip of a discussion earlier.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I kinda feel like the last ten or so episodes of Gaim started to fall apart a bit, since Kaito up until that point hadn't really been sold as "final boss" material. He was too sympathetic for most of the show's run, even when he was ostensibly working for the badguys, and his justification for fighting Kouta felt a bit like a stretch. Like they were being smushed together for a final confrontation in a Toshiki Inoue-esque contrivance. They sort of burned through their remaining villain candidates pretty quickly in the final stretch, either eliminating or outright discrediting them, and so all they were left with was Kaito. Who was probably supposed to be the villain all along, but he was just too much of a, well, friend to really sell it and the tragedy of friends being forced to fight was undercut by it feeling a little forced. And Yoko felt a lot like a victim of said contrivance, which also soured me on the last arc of the story.

A friend of mine described it this way: it would've been more stereotypical if instead of being the final boss, he were the post-final boss who had one last bout with Kouta. And instead of a tragic fight to the death, they would've fought as friendly rivals, because all of the real world-ending stakes would have already been dealt with. And sometimes I wonder if that might've been better, maybe if the final boss were Helheim itself. That's an idea Burkion floated after the ending and I can't help but take his side on that.

But that's exactly not the sort of theme what Urobuchi wanted or even his style, and if things had gone that way we wouldn't get to enjoy jokes like Tomari flippantly referring to Kouta as "God" in their crossover. Not that I've seen the movie, mind, it's just that when I think of Tomari calling someone that, he couldn't be anything but flippant.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rei_ posted:

Akiko is the best, sorry

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's traditional for the previous Rider to job and let the new guy take the spotlight. Bonus points if their power levels are hilariously mismatched.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Potsticker posted:

At least Nitou was highly entertaining unlike "oh we're actually going to drop your story arc and development so we can shoehorn you as a final boss" Kaito.

Yeah that was some incredible bullshit right there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nobody's saying it isn't.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

I feel stupid for not getting this joke. Someone explain it for me?

Compare the Ghostbusters theme to I Want a New Drug.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fooley posted:

I mean, if he doesn't use the Edison Soul against an elephant based motw then it's a total waste imo.

the :agreed: meme

• Locked thread