Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Did the Tatoba combo finishing move actually ever kill anything ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Miss Kalle posted:

Hey shut up about subs for a minute, apparently Hurricanger is getting a 10th anniversary movie!

lol why are they doing this!

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

HKR posted:

The sad truth is TVN's translators are rather poor and despite doing this for years they have never improved. Instead of filling their QCers with people who can and will call them out for being bad, they only fill the spots with yes men and fanboys.

Onore did a QA today about issues with TVN's translations that really sink home how bad they are and how they'll never improve.

The best TV-N mistranslation will always be in the kakuranger sentai world crossover clip where they didn't know what "one plus one equals two" is in Japanesen

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

The Blackest Goon posted:

Need consensus on Goseiger, Gokaiger, Shinkenger and Go-busters. Which is the better one and which should I watch first?

Their all equally good, but u should watch as much sentai that existed before gokaiger before you watch gokaiger.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

jivjov posted:

I dunno, Gokaiger was my first Sentai, and I loved it.

You can really appreciate all the references in Gokaiger if you have a familarity with sentai.

Edit: For example in the Liveman ep, the Kibaranger reference? Very nice

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I never saw an episode of Gobusters after the first one and I found it perfectly watchable.

Watchable is one thing, but you are going to appreciate it a lot more if you watched the entire series.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Modern Day Hercules posted:

They're not even recognizable as spoilers if you haven't watched those series. Shinkenger isn't going to be some mega twist at this point considering Samurai did the same thing. So that's just Jetman, and it's worth being spoiled once to get the rest of the series.

Dude Jetman is heralded as one of the best sentai series of all time, I wouldn't say that so lightly.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

So was hippo anyone from Gobusters itself or just some random guy they had in the movie? I can't remember him from anywhere.

Basically what everyone else said about Usada's VA. Also they needed references to dying sentai members

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Actually Jetman's ending epilogue is by far the best part of Jetman, the moment where it reaches everything that it could possibly be. It's loving beautiful and poetic.

Finally some sanity. After watching Gokaiger, and knowing what happens it really affects all the plot and character development of the entire series.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Lessail posted:

Gai's ending is neat since it is the opposite of how he was at the start of the series. Then I thought about it and every time Ryu and Kaori celebrate their anniversary they're gonna remember Gai's death. So even in the end he's a dick.

So I guess it's perfect :v:

Kudos to the best character in the series

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

A bit late to this, but yeah I didn't know. I couldn't have possibly expected anything this amazing.

It's nice of the series to recognize that having the enemy literally being the internet going after the power supply was not a good idea.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

RBX posted:

I never said the show was poo poo or anything. Everything before like ep 15 is really just story buildup so yea the best stuff comes after. But then I remember someone saying it felt like the solved the show midway through the season and that's the most apt comparison ever. Where they go from here is hopefully where it felt like it was going with Enter from the start. I can also care less for these Gavan episodes.

Really can't blame them for doing something different. The ratings were terrible, they had to try something else.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I'd like to think what they did with Enter after the halfway point was what they intended to do from the beginning, because it was one of the best aspects of the show.

And I personally don't count those Gavan episodes as part of the show, because it almost doesn't itself.

But Kotoha was there :(

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Larryb posted:

They do get some development later on to humanize them a bit but I understand your point, I never really bought that the Livemen were supposed to be friends with these people.

They literally started out as friends tho?

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kyoryuger is pahfeckt.

Nonsense, its Super cool.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Sonata Mused posted:

I don't know. Sometimes it just feels too silly. I mean, obviously I'm not the target audience here, but everything just feels so contrived and forced with some of the "wackiness" that comes about.

I think it's the same problem I had with Go-Onger.

Haha wow. What did you like then?

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

What do you mean wow? I like Kyoryuger, but it's in a league of its own even considering all Sentai have comedy in them somewhere. And Go-onger, man...

It seems fairly consistent with the entire sentai continnum. Remember! It's a children's show

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

The Blackest Goon posted:

is hibiki and decade really as bad as people make them out to be?

If you like fog and bad camera angles you will like hibiki

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Why are we assuming that's the case? I thought they combined Goseiger and Gokaiger because Goseiger was too terrible to carry an entire season.

There's nothing wrong with Goseiger.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

RBX posted:

Gokai Green irritates the gently caress outta me on a second viewing. Does he have to act like that 24/7?

You hate sentai. Now go away

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Fred is on posted:

You'd think Gokai Green would be even better on a second watch, when you can more actively try to spot his blink-and-you'll-miss-them background antics.

Playing air guitar with the Mammoth Ranger's axe. :allears:

Falling over in GoGoFive :allears:

And golfing with Signalman's weapon

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Give me literally one concrete example of the scrub creating something worse than this:

hahahaha

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

What's everyone so pissed about

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

jivjov posted:

Or as we call it these days, the Super Megaforce approach. (Goddamn I can't get over how awkward that's going to be. The Gokaiger suits are straight up pirate outfits, how do those function as upgrades? It'd make more sense if the pirates upgraded to the shiny, ornate, Goseiger suits. And don't even get me started on the Black-to-Green issue...)

They might just have something bad happen, then Gokaiger is their new power. Like how the MMPR movie when

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Of the seven Sentai I've seen to completion, I'd rank them

1. Shinkenger (Despite TV-Nihon)
2. Go-Busters (The gently caress was I thinking a year ago when I didn't like it)
3. Jetman (Mostly because of the perfect ending episode)
4. Gokaiger (Shallow characters saved by having the action sequences be consistently impressive)
5. Gaoranger (Though I think most of the fondness I have for it is nostalgia for watching Wild Force as a kid)
6. Go-Onger (Peaks at the halfway mark, but what a loving peak)
7. Gekiranger (Terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible)

Why do you hate fun

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

The train is gonna own

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I'd say the Sentai members who contribute the least to their mechs would have to be Ginga Green, Gao Yellow, Abare Yellow, and Dai Pink

Hououranger

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I think every one of the Main 6 Kyoryugers has a Deboss Legion member to pair up in an antagonistic relationship (with the exception of one) with the exception of Souji.

Edit: Finished watching the latest episode. It's a shame that Yuuko (Nossan's sister) didn't become a Kyoryuger, but then again she was already in a sentai previously as DekaYellow which gets a nod in this episode.

Shame on you if you think there are going to be more then ten. Juunin sorotte juuden sentai

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

jivjov posted:

Nossan's cover story for Ramires "Oh yes, he's my foreign friend that loves anime and cosplays". I'm not sure whether to be offended or not.

EDIT: Shotgun-Utchy is quite possibly the best thing ever. This is truly a magical experience.

Why would you be offended you baby

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Oh my god, these are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

"Karate bugman" is such a poor argument I have to roll my eyes whenever someone brings it up. Its much easier to ignore a difference in the way the world works (ie that superheros exist) than it is to ignore something like people acting strangely (due to sloppy writing or acting) or unexplainable plot-holes occurring. Yes, just not bringing the aging up should be enough but its not because the show has a silly premise that that is the case, if they'd did a similar thing on, say, Star Trek it wouldn't be that big a deal either. Hell look at old soap operas where the show, supposedly, took place in a world just like ours. They'd literally swap actors out with a "the part of Hugh Larsson will now be played by Bill McDaniels" and the audience would go along with it. Audience willingness to buy into the fantasy is what makes changes like that and character aging work and odds are if the person brought tickets to a film like this they have either already brought in or aren't going to care for the movie anyway (parents getting stuck taking their kids to it.)

It's a children's show. Simmer down.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Rei_ posted:

Or you could suspend your disbelief because it's karate bugmen.

Karate bugmen FTW.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Shaezerus posted:

The newest installment of karate bugmen features street-dancing teenagers who transform into samurai via screaming belts when you put magical fruit inside them. The belt of the most serious samurai dancing teen most often yells BANANA ARMS.

The previous includes a literally magical belt created by an ancient civilization that spouts sick DJ rap beats.

If you're having trouble coming to terms with the aging of a cyborg this maaaay not be the franchise for you.

Hi Sui Fu Do! Bo Jaba Byu Dogon!

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't care too much about Kamen Rider, sort of gave up on it after Wizard actually. I care that the people don't seem to appreciate how suspension of disbelief works (and how those things can allow you to either ignore or focus in on plot holes and inconsistencies.) Saying "the show is about karate bugmen and thus literally anything can happen" is just plain wrong. Monsters can happen, melodrama can happen but the simple fact is that if the show doesn't take care to make, for instance, believable characters and a logical plot, then the karate bugmen stop being karate bugmen and become guys in stupid costumes who can barely see out of them.

Haha ok turbonerd. Fourze, OOO et al were just as wacky as Wizard and Gaim.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

He has a butterfly for a mouth. I'm not saying I don't like it, just that it's dumb. If I didn't like dumb things why the hell would I be watching a show about people who turn into action figures using Dinosaur Batteries?

Was Chaos picked on in school? Let's see...

- Weighs 350 lbs
- Always wore a coat of armor to school
- Both parents were a green blob (don't ask)
- Has a butterfly for a mouth

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

(untranslated gaim ep spoilers)Hase was killed by the Cherry Genesis Rider.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Am I allowed to talk about the laatest Gaim episode yet?!

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Rei_ posted:

They always dress Koyomi up like an actual doll with little frilly shirts and poo poo, and it has the side effect of making her look incredibly young. Also they keep addressing her in terms of innocence and fragility which are typically childlike concepts? I get that the actress for Koyomi is supposed to be 18 at the time of the show but there's no way in hell her character reads that way.

Like, maybe pedophile is too strong a word but something about the way Haruto kind of approaches her sketches me out. Like, literally at one point he's more or less certain that he's going to be killing three other people to bring her back, and it's only when Fueki goes 'nah, it's all of Tokyo' he has second thoughts about it. Also having her restore her life force by touching his waist was kinda...you know? Their relationship doesn't read as familial, especially not when he's taking her out on dates and stuff. Combine that with her absence for chunks of the show means that Haruto doesn't really come across as having any real developed relationship with her (or basically anyone) but he just seems creepy and obsessed with keeping her alive.

You are so stupid.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Tsukasa was a dumb idiot because he did whatever he wanted all the time and was forced to care about things. Also he turns evil every movie and kills everyone which is terrible. With Haruto, his aloofness is because of the burden he feels from being the last hope of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Apollove posted:

Oh man speaking of samurai, me and my friend were talking about it and Shinkenger, and how Shinkenger is of course way way better. And we were talking about the Shinken brown episode and "What if they adapted it for english" And we basically came up with instead of being a caucasian richard brown would have to be japanese, leading to:

"Hey you can't be a samurai, you're japanese!"

Bulk was the logical conclusion of Richard Brown

• Locked thread