Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cliff Racer posted:

I can't believe that the (94% done) Changeman dub has been lost to time? Has literally noone saved it? Such a shame.

I have the DFF releases on my harddrive, but my internet is too poo poo to even think about considering the possibility of uploading 52 episodes of television. There was time enough before it was taken down, surely someone else archived it?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Miss Kalle posted:

Hey shut up about subs for a minute, apparently Hurricanger is getting a 10th anniversary movie!

Does Japan do April Fools?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Nobuharu is the best Ranger ever :allears:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SpazmasterX posted:

The weekly plots of the episodes were never as hokey as the plots we're getting from the Nickelodeon era. Well, except for maybe some of MMPR3 and Turbo. Samurai and Megaforce also have the worst red rangers ever.

When's the last time you watched MMPR1&2 or Zeo? They're exactly that hokey.

Tae posted:

I really hope they just make Gia the leader of the Pirate season or something.

Now that you mention it...

Sure, I can see it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

BoutrosBoutros posted:

The "charm" is entirely manufactured in your own head. They really are pretty awful if you try to watch them and separate out the nostalgia.

Well they had the unmorphed fights (well, Zeo didn't, but MMPR1&2) and Ron Wasserman songs, so there was that going for them at least. Certainly no charm to the characters/story, though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't know why everyone seriously brings Wasserman up as a good thing, outside of the MMPR theme song the show's music was either forgettable or downright bad.

I unironically enjoy MMPR's vocal fight themes. They're a big part of the show's identity to me.

I mean yeah, they're this doofy faux-grunge thing, but they suit the show perfectly.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

AzraelNewtype posted:

:wtc: Kuuga and Agito ran January 2000 to January 2002, what does that have to do with the 60s to 80s? For that matter, what does Garo, whose first season was in 2005? Am I having a stroke, or are you? One of us needs medical attention is what I'm saying.

"These things, which are not from the 60s-80s, are evidence that I can enjoy things that are not from the 60s-80s."

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Dunno if anyone here watches Linkara's HoPR videos but Mystic Force is up nearly a year after the previous one. Dude takes 90 minutes to say what should take 20 words or less and even then doesn't reach the right conclusion, which should simply be:

"Mystic Force had a bomb-rear end theme song and the Pink was a cute butch chick. Peace out, ya'll."

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh sweet, the Akiba translation is up, now to wait for the SD.

My toaster brethren!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tae posted:

You are the first I've seen in reality that likes the Mystic Force theme.

We're like Immortals.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Magiranger is worth everyone's time. Only about half of it is available in non-Takenoko-tachi form though from memory so it also depends on your "we couldn't be arsed translating bro and sis" tolerance too.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I don't give a poo poo if he watches them on his own time or not, that's his business and people are free to watch (or not watch) whatever entertainment they want.

I do however think it would greatly benefit his History of Power Rangers series if he at least demonstrated some basic knowledge of it though. There are occasionally things in Power Rangers that, viewed in a vacuum, don't make a lot of sense or make you wonder why the poo poo they did things that way but that make sense if viewed in the larger context of the repurposed footage and how the production had to work around things or adapt them to the purpose of the characters and story being told. Having that knowledge would allow him to provide greater insight and understanding in his videos.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 14, 2013

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

It's Mobirates time.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is this implying, do you think, that GokaiSilver will be the one to give them the Gokaiger powers? I really wonder how they're going to do this.

I reckon that's where the smart money is. The Zangyack arrive and stomp the Rangers, then Silver turns up and is all "here's some new poo poo guys, let's get to it." Putting him in an Andros-like role seems the obvious way to do things.

Could even be a two parter split over the Megaforce finale and Super Megaforce premiere if they want to go for a big cliffhanger

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Xelkelvos posted:

At PR level writing, it's not too hard as long as the Gosei suits are ditched.

About that...

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I thought I'd stopped buying Figuarts but I just had to get Tyranno and Dragon Rangers. Cursed MMPR childhood nostalgia :negative:

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 26, 2013

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

OZC posted:

If you just ordered them off AmiAmi, I'm right there with you. Bluefin might have the MMPR 20th Anniversary boxes for them, but for about $25 plus shipping at AmiAmi, it's a lot cheaper than Bluefin.

Yeah, Ami preorders. I'm not American, so Bluefin are really only any use to me when they reissue stuff that's no longer available from Japanese release and it's something I want bad enough to pay the premium (like the couple of DBZ Figuarts I got via them). Otherwise I'm just happy to grab the initial JP releases.

My toku toy collecting was always pretty restrained (Figuarts of main Riders and Reds/maybe a Sixth if I prefered them and the occasional changer (really only the Decadriver)) but I cut back even from that after the Akibarangers (who I made an exception for and got the whole team)/Red Buster because I didn't really have the space for any more and I figured the money was better spent elsewhere, but I just couldn't resist these two. I'll probably cave for Kiba Ranger too if he gets a general release.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Waffleman_ posted:

In other news, a recent Battride War trailer that has't been posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvsHTWnJBGQ

Finally pulled my finger out and preordered this at AmiAmi this morning. Looks like a decent Dynasty Warriors clone featuring Riders.

With Accel being confirmed as playable in the most recent Dengeki update I can only hope for Birth. CUTTAH WINGing through armies of grunts would be so satisfying.

Raizor posted:

Battride will probably be terrible, but I just know I'm going to wind up getting it anyway.

Eh, I think it'll be a pretty standard, okay licensed game that's pretty clearly a riff on another series and doesn't really excell at anything in particular. It won't rock any worlds but I think it'll be servicable as a "beat lots of dudes up as a Kamen Rider on PS3" title.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 26, 2013

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

quote:

Kyoryuger movie will be a musical.

There are no words for how much this excites me.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Whoops. For some reason I had it in my head that they were the same age at 28.

Blue Buster's actor is a year younger than Kyoryu Blue's, but Nossan the character is apparently meant to be 32.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Finally got to Kyoryu 11

Random unicycle fight leading into tripping the enemies with dance moves finising up with a blast from the transformation energy. Utchy's goofiness with a cold, distant facade. Making time for the samba with the guys transformation even though it was so late in the game that some stock footage would've sufficed.

This show :allears:

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 3, 2013

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Xelkelvos posted:

(there will be others, right? :ohdear:)

I would be surprised if we don't get a full complement of ten by the end of the series considering there are that many main Voltasaurs, even if the last three are just cameo-having spirit warriors like Ramirez.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Loved how much the dancing was incorporated in to the fighting at the start of this episode. Nice that Utchy can just be his goofball self with the rest of the team now, but I'dve maybe liked for his nice/stern dynamic to have been played with for a couple more episodes.

On Amy, her actress is of age where I live but even her character, who is a couple of years older than the actress, is too young for me.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Waffleman_ posted:

Nope, no time for seriousness on Kyoryuger. Everybody has to be silly.

The duality allows for additional shenanigans, though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Every week on Kyoryuger should be Western week

pewpewpew

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Not that Famitsu reviews mean a whole lot but Kamen Rider Battride War, the Rider themed Dynasty Warriors clone for PS3, scored 33/40 in their latest issue.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's precious of Takenoko-hime* to insist they're okay taking criticism given how long he stuck to his guns on their forums over the hosed up Boukenger reference in Akiba season 1.

*T/N: hime means princess

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Black Feather posted:

So, I was planning on watching Kabuto soon, but knowing TV-N is the only option

Technically...

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Son Ryo posted:

Gotta agree. Is this something that's actually available somewhere or was that just a fandub proof-of-concept sort of thing?

It's on Nyaa, but the video quality is pretty poor.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Ahh, I thought Finster was making them up on the fly, there are a couple lines to that effect.

I'm pretty sure there are examples of both. Sometimes they relate a monster's history, other times it's a new design Finster's been working on.

The monsters tend to announce themselves anyway. "I'm Penisnipper, and I'm here to snip the penis off every guy in Angel Grove High!" kind of thing.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Gai dies is the Gabriel is Dracula of Sentai (or the other way around, technically). It's some last minute bullshit that has no actual relevance to the meat of the product.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

'Gabriel is Dracula'? Is this Lords of Shadow poo poo?

It's a disjointed cinematic appended to the end of Lords of Shadow's credits, yeah.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
NO SHUT UP I DON'T BELIEVE YOU THE ALTERNATIVE IS TAKENOKO-TACHI SO CLEARLY WHATEVER poo poo SOMEONE PULLED OUT OF THEIR ARSE IS AUTOMATICALLY BETTER

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
First episode of Gaim was pretty fun. Nice "newbie Rider figuring things out" fight, protagonist seems okay, the world is pretty interesting and the breakdance/Pokemon battle warring stage stuff seems to work okay so far but we'll see if it continues to all work together as the show goes on.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I wonder if Rider 1 will have a prominent enough role in the new Wars movie for them to bring Hiroshi Fujioka back to voice him. I'm still disappointed he didn't get to play the role out of suit in Let's Go Kamen Riders given he showed that he's a perennial boss a couple years prior in the Rescue Force film.

Sad to hear the Kyoryuger movie's not that good. Haven't been keeping up with SHT lately but was pretty hyped by the idea of it being a musical. Guess Kamen Rider Decade Live & Show will remain king of the Super Hero Time musicals for now.

Also, two hours of behind the scenes Dairanger filming courtesy of a Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers director who took it for research.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

RISING ULTIMATE TIER: G.

You're Canon in my heart, G.

A true hero :swoon:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

mikeycp posted:

Is there anywhere to actually watch G anymore? I've only ever been able to find broken links.

Takenoko-tachi's version is still on their torrent tracker. MegaAnon's is on KRDL I think but that's down at the moment.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Daler Mehndi posted:

Could someone summarize what happens in the final ten episodes?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Elfgames posted:

Also the wizard driver is the best belt, period.

Best belt does indeed appear in Wizard, but it's not the title Driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SpazmasterX posted:

How do you explain a cyborg becoming an old man?

You don't. You just ignore the aging of the actor.

Unless that's asking for too much suspension of disbelief for karate bugmen.

• Locked thread