Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
UltraSeven is the best toku hero!

There, it is on the first page thus it must be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't let Scat Ultraman stand alone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tzchvLj9eM Disco Seven! Mighty Man!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you want an amazing 80s action series, Bioman is a good bet.

Kung fu related? Maskman.

Big fun adventure that's the second longest in the franchise? Changeman.

Serious but fun but pretty grim? Liveman. Dear God Liveman.

....so most/all of the Super Sentai I like was made in the 80s, what of it?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/47597927/Changeman?tab=summary Here is one torrent that has the DFF episodes, and TV Nihon has the first 8.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
........I am dumb. http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/436167233/Changeman+DFF?tab=summary Sorry about that. It has poor seeds, but it'll get done sooner or later. This is the real thing, I can vouch for that. I'll help seed if anyone wants me to.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Double, definitely.

Since this came up, I gotta ask. I read online, uncited, that Ankh was intended to be the final villain, but it was changed partly because children were buying Red Core Medal sets and sending them to Toei for him. :swoon: That's the cutest drat thing I've ever heard, but I don't want to share it til I know it's true. Any clue?

I haven't heard THAT one before, but I have heard that it's largely the same reason why Date wasn't killed off-terrible things were happening in real life so they wanted to soften it up a lot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's a funny way to spell "Zuvat."

Which is also the best way to spell "greatest show ever made by the hands of man or God."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You would be lost in life if you haven't seen Garo. Garo is loving fantastic, and is my one sole bit of proof, beyond all of the Ultraman and Kamen Rider Double, that I don't just like things from the 60s/70s/80s. You know, if you also ignore Kuuga. And Agito is fine I guess, a little too cluttered. And I'm bad at this so I'll just shut up.

Garo is awesome. The second season may be stronger over all, for characters and the plot, but the first has the greater scope and some pretty goddamn badass fight scenes that just can't be topped.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's...arguable. I'd say the series doesn't get really fantastic until a few episodes in, though the early stuff is important for setting up stuff.

I want to say that after the clock tower is when the first series starts to soar.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's cool. I'm a wordy bastard some times. I just fear that every now and again some one will accuse me of being a snob, since a lot of the shows I love are 30 years old now and they tend to be the ones I talk about more.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

Something got into me tonight and now I'm 1/3 through translating the first episode of JAKQ Dengekitai. Just thought you might like to know. I promise I'll finish more of it than GUIS did.

I don't believe you. I've been lied to so many times before when it comes to this show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Power Rangers has managed to beat Sentai to the punch on two major things, as far as I can recall. A team up with Kamen Rider (kinda) and a female Red.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Black is a great show in general, I think, but it's not a good rep for the Showa Era. Or any era. It's kind of weird like that. Stronger is pretty fantastic, though of the ones that are fully subbed, V3 is the best, provided you can get to Doktor G. The man is glorious and is what every Kamen RAAAAAAAAAAIDAH villain should ever be.

As for Ultraman, yeah. The original or Seven are fantastic, though UltraSeven is really not a good thing to get a feel for other Ultra shows. While I think Seven had the better plots and effects and whatever, it was not an Ultraman series in the traditional way and might give the wrong impression. The original Ultraman, or what little of Return of Ultraman, is fantastic in that regard though. Mebius is also amazing. Tiga is...pretty slow, honestly. Like, the action is slow and the characters are just sort of oddly dull. But it's not a bad show.

Stay the gently caress away from Cosmos and Nexus for two entirely different reasons. One will make you so depressed you'll want to kill yourself, and the other will just make you want to kill yourself. .....possibly due to the lovely dub.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Going by that criteria, the original Ultraman and UltraSeven are both great choices, with the caveat that Ultraman is more of a fantasy series focused on generally having fun adventures with giant monsters, while Seven is more serious and sci-fi with alien plots. Ultraman Tiga is also a decent one to suggest, the action is a bit slower than I prefer and the characters are kind of bland, but it has some great monsters and it's a reboot of the franchise meaning it has no ties to the past. Ultraman Cosmos I would not recommend, myself, for numerous reasons. Nexus I would say hold off on until you've seen a different Ultra show, as it's fantastic but it also is not a typical Ultraman series by a long shot.

Ultraman Max is pretty good, though it's even more episodic than the others which is quite a feat. There's effectively almost no continuity between each episode, two parters aside, and it's almost more like an anthology series set around stock heroes. Ultraman Mebius is filled with lots of nods and such to the past, but never to its detriment. You absolutely don't have to see the past series to enjoy Mebius as they're pretty easy on the newcomers. Ultraman Neos I'd hesitate to suggest, it's plot isn't as good as a lot of others and it suffered a loss in budget thanks to its brother series, UltraSeven Evolution. Which I also wouldn't suggest, but that's because it's the last 5 'episodes' of the UltraSeven sequel that started in 94, went on to 98, 99, and then finished off with Evolution. So it, um, is a bit continuity heavy.

The other UltraSeven series, because UltraSeven apparently is the favorite of the Ultramen for unknown reasons, UltraSeven X is pretty good, though it also doesn't focus on the giant monster side of things all that much. It's continuity light though, and has some fun sci-fi adventures. The sub for it, by TV Nihon, is questionable in places but it shouldn't obscure TOO much. I think that's it for the fully subbed Ultramen. Well there are also the movies, which are all generally subbed, including most/all of the ones starring Ultraman Zero, Seven's son.

My personal favorite Ultraman would be Seven himself, though I still don't know why he's so heavily favored of the bunch. I heartily endorse his series, as the effects are pretty great for its time. Hell I'd say Seven's effects look better than 80s Doctor Who, despite being made in the 60s.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FredMSloniker posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! What about the movies? Any you'd particularly recommend, given my earlier criteria?

Ultraman the Next definitely. It's the one movie that is not connected to anything else, at least on the surface. It's actually the prequel to Ultraman Nexus, but you'd never know unless you got pretty far into Nexus.

The other movies are hard to recommend, simply because they all are rooted in the history of the franchise or the series. Like Ultraman Mebius' movie, which actually takes place in canon, around the 20s I think. The Superior 8 Ultramen is more the former, stepped in the history of the thing, and it's not as kind to newcomers as Mebius itself is. Still a pretty fantastic movie though. Ultra Galaxy Neo The Movie would be alright enough if you just accept there's a dude who can control monsters and not ask too much more, though it requires a basic understanding of who Ultraman, Seven, Ultra Father, Mother, Leo, King, and Dyna are, as they're the main players in the plot, such as it is. The sequels to it, or at least the one as I haven't seen the third, Saga, is pretty newcomer friendly though, barring the fact that it's a sequel.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Techincally nothing. Just because it's amazingly low budget and very crappy and has almost no redeeming qualities, doesn't exclude it from being Toku. Often, it's the reason why it IS Toku!

Turbo was an odd duck of a show. Even if you took out Justin, the plots could be really schizo, partly because one side of the production wanted to continue with the serious story, while the other wanted to just embrace the parody that was the Sentai, resulting in a mishmashed mess that just kind of soiled itself and hoped no one noticed. Oh, and, you know, Ghetto Alpha. In Space was when they decided, gently caress it, we're doing a space opera, screw the Sentai.

Power Rangers, I think, is at its best when it has a defined idea that it wants to be, either in the image of the Sentai or as far away from it as contractually possible, and the worst seasons are the ones that just sort of flop around unsure, or worse, not caring, about what it wants to be. ...you know, if good writing is involved.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised they even made their own version of that suit. You'd think they would have just imported, since that was the reason they didn't want to keep Lord Zedd and Crew in the picture.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

As long as you are open to removing "Japanese" from the definition, pretty much anything with a focus on special effects can be considered tokusatsu.

Xena and whatnot seem like they'd fit in fairly well. Also stuff like Thunderbirds and UFO.

Bing-O. Tokusatsu literally just means special effects show, so even things like Doctor Who, Star Trek, or Buffy if you want to stretch it counts.

The way we usually use it tends to exclude the non superheroy stuff, but that's flawed in and of itself purely because of the original Toku, Godzilla. So yeah. Also, fun fact, UltraSeven was inspired by Thunderbirds, which is why there is a lot of focus on the Ultra Garrison in their Ultra Hawks and other vehicles.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

It's ok for women to be 15 sometimes.

They aren't women then. It's alright if you are in that age range, but please don't be a creeper. I have to put up with that bullshit enough on other forums.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You want the best Toku? You look no further than this masterpiece:
(That or Garo or Metalder or UltraSeven or...)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have, because I am the worst neckbeard, worked out how you can have all of the Rangers bar one active at the same time. MMPR, just have the original characters with maybe Aisha subbing in for Trini if they want to acknowledge her actress's death. Zeo, keep the same minus Tommy. Turbo would look to be the hardest, except the show itself gave us the best answer. Robot Turbo Rangers from Eltar. There ya go. Maybe Justin is the only human member of that team? Thus In Space falls into place and you can have your pick of Lost Galaxy Pinks.

The only one that is off about all this is Tommy, because he is the only Ranger to have more than one unique power set. Even then, in universe, he has at least one clone running around, plus he was a mad scientist for a few years, so I think that'd work itself out.

:spergin:

I am not a proud man, but I am a huge goddamn fanboy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sup Wes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No idea when it's airing, but apparently Tommy won't just be a Dragon this go around.

http://awwman.com/nps/main/2013/05/jason-david-frank-in-megaforce-as-green-and-white-rangers/

He's also going to be a Tiger! ...wonder if they'll still try to claim he's Native American?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Liar Lyre posted:

I bet he's still pretty badass.

Seeing these set photos make me want to watch the series again. Maybe I'll make a podcast about it.

Can I sit in on that? The badassery of Carter must be heralded across the stars. I love that they look like a married couple in that picture, gives me hope for the writing of the Vets.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

Carter was a badass? I never managed to sit through more than a handful of episodes before I just gave up on Lightspeed completely. To this day it's the only season I've skipped, because I hated it that much. And I've seen all of Operation Overdrive!

I'll put it this way. There was a ground hog day type episode where the Rangers were killed by new weapons made for them due to Plot. Carter knew this. He gets put in a situation where he's face to face with a monster that is, due to plot, about to kill another of his teammates, and he has the thing at point blank range with both that weapon and a stronger weapon. He doesn't even hesitate to pull the trigger, which shreds his suit. He then goes on to pilot a Megazord by himself immediately after, only passing out after killing the monster.

That's pretty drat badass. Oh, and, you know, not even flinching when he orders his teammates to seal him in hell to save the day.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kuuga did this amazingly well. It had its central cast, and it had the "deal with a monster over two episodes" plots, but it never truly did a Victim of the Week plot, instead focusing purely on the heroes trying to stop the monster. The few times it did focus on a random person, the person wouldn't be random-they'd end up being part of the secondary cast and would come back to play a role in later episodes.

I wish they'd do that more.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Liar Lyre posted:

Oh yeah, need name suggestions for the podcast. I can't think of anything good.

Mighty Mouthing Podcasting Rangers

The Ranger Show

....Super Mega Podcast Rangers

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing is better/worse than the Kamen Rider Black RX subs.

For the ENTIRE series they're entirely coherent and even get the names right. They're almost perfect HK subs.

And then the last two episodes poo poo themselves so hard they stain their own teeth.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Watch Saban try to make it a grim and gritty tale instead.

RPM, dude. RPM.

They can make it serious. It just requires a man who is not afraid to be fired and some potentially awful ideas.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wow that one guy has such an awful voice! I sure hope no one remembers his forum name!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm toying with the idea of doing something similar with Jetman, but it'd basically be me hating myself the entire way through. (I really don't like Jetman.)

As for Saban's Masked Rider...

I'm going to need something to drink.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The older show has good subs if you know where to look.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Track down Metalder.

It is amazing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

toomanyninjas posted:

Just finished the first episode -- awesome; I was surprised how serious and sensible the villain's plot is. I don't remember a whole lot of VR Troopers from my mornings before school, but this looks like it'll nicely wash its taste out of my mouth (or at least half of it).

Most likely I wouldn't have tried this out on my own. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now if someone would just sub the rest of Gavan so I can upgrade from the horrible HK subs.

Metalder is pretty fantastic all the way through. I have some issues with how it ends, but considering the show got cut short it ends better than one could hope.

The best part is the HK subs that fill in the gap between, I think, 21 and 30, are just about the best possible HK subs you can imagine. There's some odd grammar here and there, but they're arguably better than some other fansub groups.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think that is also a case by case basis, but then again I prefer Power Rangers just because I really like connecting stories and how they can build up to amazing things. See In Space for that. Mind after In Space that has largely dwindled, but I'm hoping it'll change in the future.

And yeah, that petition is all kinds of hilarious.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really curious how they're going to take Go Busters and Dancin' Dinos. Go Busters is just such an odd show in general, and PR adapting Parody Sentai in the past has lead to two very, titanically different things. Turbo, which is arguably one of the most godawful things ever produced Japanese or American or Chinese or whatever, and RPM which was loving fantastic.

And that's without realizing/considering that they're almost definitely going to combine the two the same way they're combining Gosei and Gokaiger. It's just, what in the hell are we going to get here? The future of Power Rangers is a scary, bizarre, wonderful thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Why are we assuming that's the case? I thought they combined Goseiger and Gokaiger because Goseiger was too terrible to carry an entire season.

This is assuming that Nick keeps them to the schedule they're forced to have. Which is also something to remember, Saban is not purposely only making 20 episodes a year-that's a mandate from Nick.

If they changed channels you'd likely see a shift to the old style again.

However I'd still lay money down that we'd get another hybrid season, purely so that we aren't three years behind anymore.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't think so. Is Nick mandating them to stick to one series a year? If not, there's no reason they couldn't do GoBusters over two years and take full advantage of their budget over the two years. Especially because the source material would make it extremely easy thanks to the change from Messiah to Enter as the end boss.

They could even do a special parody episode ala Dino Thunder using the Bestial Battery GoBusters special. :v:

EDIT: Hey look at all those new posts.

You mean like what they did with Samurai?

That got them even further behind, I'll note. It's kind of lose-lose for Saban. He is only allowed 20 episodes of Power Rangers a year, and he is, at present, three years behind, roughly.

Personally I'd be up for an extreme VR Troopers style multiSentai season just to burn through the backlog and get back on track. Otherwise the time gap will become more and more obvious as technology improves.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't know what people expected, Shinkenger was Japanese as gently caress to begin with. Even a close adaptation was gonna be pretty silly, and then they piled on the stupid FRIENDSHIP AND TEAMWORK YEAH! and ridiculous new suits specifically for megazord battles.

I can never, ever be made at Shogun Mode.

That thing is a piece of art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pretty much, yes.

• Locked thread