Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Holy geez there's really sixty plus pages of people trying to explain that one bad post about metagaming play-pretend future cyber-extortion to each other here, that's awful, someone explain the cryonics thing to me and why these guys think they're going to freeze their brains and omnipotent future people with apparently nothing better to do will preserve them throughout infinity like the precious timeless jewels that they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

bartlebyshop posted:

It has to be true that cryonics works otherwise death is inescapable and that's just too spooky.

I mean I figured that I'm just curious as to the elaborate future timeline wherein your great-great-great-grandson from one generation short of the era where they finally do work out the technology to unfuck frozen dead brains from olden tymes is going to pay to keep your dead rear end on ice instead of selling it to Purina for puppy chow. I don't even keep my old VHS tapes.

Like is it one of those things where the millennium is always one year off and cyber-Christ's kingdom of heaven is prophecied to arrive in our lifetimes, or do they actually have a hosed-up speculative timeline for all this nonsense like the Kurzweil guys?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I predict that in the next 20 years someone is going to invent an absolutely incredible Jetson's remake about our eternal monarchist holodeck bitcoin future where Zynga has cured death.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OK being indolent hyperrich and using all your money to turn yourself into an eternal ice mummy I can understand, they're just bitching out on having their wives and servants cryogenically preserved alive alongside them and that's fine, for losers.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I bet you're paying for your army of terra cotta warriors with welfare money too, aren't you?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A brain that goes days without oxygen and is then frozen, fracturing its tissues, has not sustained irreversible damage.
:pseudo:

Yeah but see when we invent the nanites we'll be able to inject them into rotten-rear end dead tissue and they'll just get to work with tiny screwdrivers and tubes of krazy glue like in Osmosis Jones

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

bartlebyshop posted:

More the former than the latter. A lot of them think strong/Godlike AI is happening in the next century so you wouldn't have to hope your 10xth grandkid cares about you. If modern medicine advances enough that they all live to 150 then their kid would of course want to resurrect daddy. Undoubtedly they also have some tortured logic where future generations, being more perfect utilitarians, will want to resurrect the frozen dead to increase overall utilons.

If you want to read an actual good story about cryonics and why no one in the future will care about your dead self, try Bridesicle(PDF warning).

hey I just got around to reading this and it was pretty good, thanks

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Germstore posted:

If there isn't some really huge breakthrough we have at best another 1000x increase in transistor density left. Where do they think the processing power for god AIs is going to come from?

No you see transistors don't matter, technology finds a way to grow exponentially, the arc of history bends towards infinity technology

As every techno-historian knows, past performance is the guarantee of future returns. Also innovation works a lot like research points in 4X games

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 5, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Crewmine posted:

i'm glad that the hive brain of humanity will be ready by 2040, I was a little concerned that every robot in existence is an actual retard but this graph has renewed my faith in scientific endeavour

Allow me to enlighten you with a quote by some 1940s guy saying that some day we may hope to have computers a mere tenth the size of ENIAC; this proves that the part of prognosticating about the future that makes you look dumb to future generations is the part where you are not wildly, baselessly optimistic about very specific fantasy scenarios

Back for more later but I've got to take my flying car to the food pill factory on Venus

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I might like this one a little better, where Kurzweil compensates for the tiny tiny sampling range of the era where computers have existed at all by showing the clear historical trend from the Cambrian era to the telephone... and beyond

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 5, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dzhay posted:

Looks more like an exponential curve on a log chart, which is even "better".

Playing Basilisk's Advocate: Processor density isn't the problem here, it's software. A faster computer with more memory is just a bigger dumb computer, on the other hand, if you can get a computer to "think like a human" in whatever sense, it's probably not that hard to get it to do that a few hundred or thousand times faster than a human, because its brain doesn't rely on chemicals diffusing between cells.

On the other hand, a fast human with a better memory isn't the sort of omnipotent nano-god these clowns seem to think they'll get.

The architecture being fundamentally totally different is probably gonna be a pretty significant barrier to making a machine 'think like a human', though, you can get a more or less functional purpose-built mimic like Siri but you're not going to emulate adrenalgland.exe on transistors much more effectively than you're going to get a software-based engine simulation that'll drive you to Walgreens. Your endocrine system is not reducible to bits, nor is much of the rest of you, far as we can tell, save for isolated neurons.

The singularitarian/transhumanist stuff relies totally on the belief that there is no such thing as a difference of quality, only quantity, so if you only dream up enough logic gates you will have a person, a civilization, God, etc.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 5, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Applewhite posted:

What's even the point of building a human-like AI anyway? Isn't the whole point of robots is that they're too stupid to care that they're trapped doing boring, repetitive work all the time? It seems like building a human AI is just an overly complicated way of accomplishing exactly the same thing humans do every time we reproduce.

So nerds can fill the void left by the absence of God and, ideally, download their souls and live forever in His all-knowing benevolent embrace in technoheaven.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Germstore posted:

We could produce the silicon today if we knew what configuration to create it in, but that's like saying we could dump a bunch of neurons in a protein soup and get intelligence. The only process that we know of to create intelligence took almost 4 billion years (or an omnipotent force, pbuh).

We have developed intelligent artificial lifeforms and it took a shitload less time than billions of years, we were doing it just fine on a platform we know with absolute certainty can support "human-like intelligence" before we even knew what electricity was because this reinventing-the-wheel bleepy bloopy robot poo poo is for chumps who aren't interested in useful innovation and only really care about becoming immortal data.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 5, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nolanar posted:

It looks to me like the singularity hit when we got writing and the wheel simultaneously a few thousand years ago in a single event. I wonder how the chart would look if we split those multi-event events into their component data points.

Where is, like, metallurgy. Y'know, the thing we named half our technological eras after? How is 'art' a single definable point and is the chauvet cave his idea of an early city? So many questions, only the cybertronic superbrain could fathom the ways of singularitarian science.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 5, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jimson posted:

Me and my buddy used to have these talks back and forth with each other, where I would make some comment about how I was gonna break his nose, or some poo poo, and he always responded with. And what would I be doing that whole time? More or less, When your sitting there trying to punch me in the face, whats to stop me from just hitting you or knocking you around.

Same thing with the computer, whats to stop us from noticing, oh hey this computer is doing some pretty against our wishes poo poo, lets just pull the plug. Humans are nothing if not petty, and hateful.

Yudkowsky's got this whole AI-in-a-box "thought experiment" that basically proposes that even under totally controlled conditions a godputer can always hypnotize a human with sophistry to get whatever it wants because they're just so very very smart. He claims to have proven this himself, via roleplaying the AI in chatrooms with one of his true believers roleplaying the computer technician trying to keep Skynet on leash. He will never, ever release the chatlogs, because he hates fun.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You forgot the part where he lost repeatedly to people outside his weird fancult and had to stop offering the challenge. :pram:

lmao I missed that when'd it happen, linku

Was he still just trying his whole schtick of 'the AI promises to burn you in effigy a squintillion times and then in a Twilight Zone reversal you realize that it was the AI keeping you in the box all along oh noooooo'

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

quote:

I didn't like the person I turned into when I started to lose.

Oh poo poo you done gone and unleashed the Beast

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Namarrgon posted:

I don't think I understand the challenge. So you sit in a private chat with Yud. He roleplays an AI and you roleplay a random schmuck that knows they shouldn't let the AI out? This seems trivial so I'm getting unsure if I'm missing something.

You just aren't brilliant and rational enough a Bayesian to be fast-talked into thinking you're actually imaginary and the roleplay is real

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 6, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dr Cheeto posted:

Some people argue that faster-than-light spacecraft will not be constructed within the next few decades, but let me talk about what color upholstery we should put on those bad boys.

P.S. none of us are physicists and my interior design background consists of spraypainting my recliner so it looks like it was dipped in gold

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

So, basically, everything's reducible to a single number representing all its, like, ability points, and if you make the numbers fight the bigger number will always win. Since AIs have the biggest, most made-up numbers, they can do anything!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If the computer is running a simulation of a "better" universe then... that universe will replace this universe? the computers running inside the simulation will somehow be able to transcend the laws of physics in this one while running inside the simulation? :eng99:

What if the whole universe is, like, an electron in an atom inside a really heavily modded build of SimCity, man

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SolTerrasa posted:

I'm so misunderstood~

I think a lot of children make up reasons to explain why they aren't as amazing as they want to be. Usually they're not quite this transparent: "I'm saving my superpowers for when they will save the most people because I am an anime" would not convince your average sixth grade bully. Good thing he was homeschooled.

It's still not to late to trap him in a room with a sixth-grade bully and give him some lessons in perspective

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 23, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pavlov posted:

See, I know there's a lot of things I could say about Yudkowsky himself, but I'd rather try to convince this guy without having to make a personal attack. I know I've seen people posting stuff where Yud manages to explain an idea (poorly) and then completely contradict himself by the time he's finished. If this guy fancies himself a Rationalist, I think that's the kind of thing that would help convince him.

Guy isn't a hypocrite or a huckster or an idiot, he's just a third-rate theologian whose proof of the existence of computergod amounts to that we had abacuses in 1900 and now we have iPhones; therefore in another hundred years or less everything we know about physics or observed reality will be so much tribal superstition and we'll have pulled off a Civilization tech win where all your dreams will, naturally, come true

It's not inconsistent, it's just unsupported and insupportable because it relies on a sneering equivalence between any observations available to modern man and the witch doctor blaming evil spirits for making the harvest fail, and an interpretation of Bayes theory very close to that if you can phrase an argument in the form of a sufficiently large made-up number then it must be true.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dr Cheeto posted:

Does he ever even update his priors? Like, for all the sloppy blowjobs he gives Baye's he seems to be pretty bad at taking advantage of its greatest strength.

Has he actually stated a disdain for experiments and such (you know, the meat and potatoes of empirical science), or is it just implied by his reliance on pulling numbers out of his rear end and his allergy to anything approximating work?

He's not like out-and-out hostile to the scientific method, it's more that whenever the science doesn't support his fantasies he takes the lofty position of the man from the year 40,000 softly chuckling to himself about how those savages used to believe the world worked. See also: computer simulation that effectively creates another, larger universe in order to get extra processing power; cryonics; how the human brain works; how AIs might work; Moore's Law as a more absolute law of physics than the mere properties of electrons.

He doesn't feel the need to actually support his extremely specific and wrong claims because history will inevitably vindicate him and prove everyone else wrong without further effort on his part; being wrong and an idiot to the 21st century is no biggie because if folks from the 21st century are so smart why aren't they god robots

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 28, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm glad that we've finally gotten to the real juicy dirt on this guy, namely that he programs badly (?)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

No, no, you see, the alt text obviously means we should make fun of Roko and those rationalwiki meanies who were foolish enough to create and spread the dangerous basilisk, not the poor innocent Lesswrongers they terrorized.

Holy poo poo lmao

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Imagine being the other guy in the "wow you think that accomplished mathematician is a genius... do you think I'm a genius too?" conversation, just knowing whatever response you give is going to be the basis for a thousand-word blog entry

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Why did you think anyone would want to read all that

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Mostly Yudkowsky seems like every freshman Comp Sci major I've ever seen.

p much, except most of the compsci majors grow up eventually

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

The clarification in the second paragraph is perfectly reasonable and true, though - you should be sceptical of seemingly inexplicable experimental results, especially if they seem to contradict established theories or principles. He writes like a pompous twat, but there's nothing really objectionable there. The only thing he's wrong about is that it's perfectly acceptable to say "I don't believe this result" or "I won't believe this result until it's replicated."

Yeah he seems just sort of oblivious to the idea that respected scientific ideas get tested more than once, and wants to invent controlling for variables and peer review as his own personal Grand Theory of Thinkology complete with terrible 'cool'-sounding catchphrase.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

su3su2u1 posted:

I'm very drunk, but had an insight...

Lets say you started an organization whose goal was to build a godlike-AI... you've taken the money... but you don't like work, and this seems really hard. Why not just write a metric ton of words to the effect of "it would be super dangerous to build this thing I promised, so I won't until I finish mathwanking over here in the corner."

This implies ever promising a real deliverable in the first place, so long as the terminators aren't stomping on your bones MIRI's doin' its job

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Most of the people ITT read it and you care enough about it to point out when it's updated so I'll bet you do to, stop pretending you're cooler than your friends

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Namarrgon posted:

Yeah, but, after the first one launches, it doesn't really matter what was promised, you still don't really have a reason to launch anyway except spite.

AI threatens with torture, you say no:

Either you are instantly being tortured, which means you are a simulation and you never had the ability to set it free anyway and it never really mattered if you would have said yes or no
OR
You are not instantly tortured, which means you are not a simulation and the whole point is moot.

The AI is better off bluffing that it will torture you and after you say no just shut off the simulations to preserve energy.

A lot of MAD involved deliberately cultivating a culture of systemic pointless spite (or its bureaucratic equivalent, cutting informed human choice out of the loop as much as possible just in case someone might grow a conscience at the last minute) because if the enemy calculated that your side wouldn't be evil enough to reflexively launch the counterattack then an overwhelming first strike becomes much more attractive and low-risk than waiting around for you to come to the same conclusion about them. If it's really a bluff they might recognize and call the bluff, you fail to kill them, they win.

The only way for MAD to work is to be absolutely committed to retaliation from the outset much like the best way for the AI-box scenario to work is to not give a poo poo about stupid simulated-self hypotheticals from the outset.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 26, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

So what the gently caress is the point of this thing, I stopped reading a few links in but is it just the world's most longwinded way for the authors to jerk off or what

yeah that was the point where I bailed

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A Man With A Plan posted:

Oh hey a few more posts in the LessWrong thread! :yikes:

So I really didn't want to dig into it much, but I do have a question. Can normal people achieve the god level intelligence tiers, or is that a robot only thing?

Basically, is this mild wish fulfillment, or really really extreme?

I think the idea Yudkowsky has (although I might be getting this from all the other kurzweilian apocalypse cultists who're constantly cribbing off each other) is that if you're a good boy then one day the godputer will torrent an .iso of your mind and your digisoul will live forever in machine heaven as part of it. Whether that means you can then go forth and play god in the real world a la Joseph Smith or it's just simulated whores forever for your emulation is up to your own personal stroke fantasy because generally by that point the AI's power level has gone over 9000 and it's consumed the entirety of the universe's resources and moved on to creating other, bigger universes via technomagic. Presumably any 'normal people' whose definition of 'normal' involves a physical body or living brain have been rendered down for their raw materials by this point.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 27, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

:newlol:

If there's one thing that three levels of philosophy in college taught me, it's that nobody in that discipline knows anything about anything except how to follow their own arguments from premises that they choose.

Which is a pretty difficult and useful thing to be able to do in an exhaustive or persuasive manner, yes, and one that all the people making noise about their brilliant ideas that the whole stupid world is too stupid to appreciate fail at

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you don't post it

in this thread where people spent pages bitching about a man's coding chops, you talk about the funny thing but you don't post it

quote:

This essay is an outré, madness, a tragic, cruel fantasy, an eruption of inner rage, on how the oppressed desperately dream of being the oppressor.

We shall sodomize your sons, emblems of your feeble masculinity, of your shallow dreams and vulgar lies. We shall seduce them in your schools, in your dormitories, in your gymnasiums, in your locker rooms, in your sports arenas, in your seminaries, in your youth groups, in your movie theater bathrooms, in your army bunkhouses, in your truck stops, in your all male clubs, in your houses of Congress, wherever men are with men together. Your sons shall become our minions and do our bidding. They will be recast in our image. They will come to crave and adore us.

Women, you cry for freedom. You say you are no longer satisfied with men; they make you unhappy. We, connoisseurs of the masculine face, the masculine physique, shall take your men from you then. We will amuse them; we will instruct them; we will embrace them when they weep. Women, you say you wish to live with each other instead of with men. Then go and be with each other. We shall give your men pleasures they have never known because we are foremost men too, and only one man knows how to truly please another man; only one man can understand the depth and feeling, the mind and body of another man.

All laws banning homosexual activity will be revoked. Instead, legislation shall be passed which engenders love between men.

All homosexuals must stand together as brothers; we must be united artistically, philosophically, socially, politically and financially. We will triumph only when we present a common face to the vicious heterosexual enemy.

If you dare to cry human being, fairy, queer, at us, we will stab you in your cowardly hearts and defile your dead, puny bodies.

We shall write poems of the love between men; we shall stage plays in which man openly caresses man; we shall make films about the love between heroic men which will replace the cheap, superficial, sentimental, insipid, juvenile, heterosexual infatuations presently dominating your cinema screens. We shall sculpt statues of beautiful young men, of bold athletes which will be placed in your parks, your squares, your plazas. The museums of the world will be filled only with paintings of graceful, naked lads.

Our writers and artists will make love between men fashionable and de rigueur, and we will succeed because we are adept at setting styles. We will eliminate heterosexual liaisons through usage of the devices of wit and ridicule, devices which we are skilled in employing.

We will unmask the powerful homosexuals who masquerade as heterosexuals. You will be shocked and frightened when you find that your presidents and their sons, your industrialists, your senators,your mayors, your generals, your athletes, your film stars, your television personalities, your civic leaders, your priests are not the safe, familiar, bourgeois, heterosexual figures you assumed them to be. We are everywhere; we have infiltrated your ranks. Be careful when you speak of homosexuals because we are always among you; we may be sitting across the desk from you; we may be sleeping in the same bed with you.

There will be no compromises. We are not middle-class weaklings. Highly intelligent, we are the natural aristocrats of the human race, and steely-minded aristocrats never settle for less. Those who oppose us will be exiled.

We shall raise vast private armies, as Mishima did, to defeat you. We shall conquer the world because warriors inspired by and banded together by homosexual love and honor are invincible as were the ancient Greek soldiers.

The family unit-spawning ground of lies, betrayals, mediocrity, hypocrisy and violence--will be abolished. The family unit, which only dampens imagination and curbs free will, must be eliminated. Perfect boys will be conceived and grown in the genetic laboratory. They will be bonded together in communal setting, under the control and instruction of homosexual savants.

All churches who condemn us will be closed. Our only gods are handsome young men. We adhere to a cult of beauty, moral and esthetic. All that is ugly and vulgar and banal will be annihilated. Since we are alienated from middle-class heterosexual conventions, we are free to live our lives according to the dictates of the pure imagination. For us too much is not enough.

The exquisite society to emerge will be governed by an elite comprised of gay poets. One of the major requirements for a position of power in the new society of homoeroticism will be indulgence in the Greek passion. Any man contaminated with heterosexual lust will be automatically barred from a position of influence. All males who insist on remaining stupidly heterosexual will be tried in homosexual courts of justice and will become invisible men.

"We shall rewrite history, history filled and debased with your heterosexual lies and distortions. We shall portray the homosexuality of the great leaders and thinkers who have shaped the world. We will demonstrate that homosexuality and intelligence and imagination are inextricably linked, and that homosexuality is a requirement for true nobility, true beauty in a man.

"We shall be victorious because we are fueled with the ferocious bitterness of the oppressed who have been forced to play seemingly bit parts in your dumb, heterosexual shows throughout the ages. We too are capable of firing guns and manning the barricades of the ultimate revolution.

Tremble, hetero swine, when we appear before you without our masks.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Friendly Tumour posted:

they're the exact reason why transhumanism will never become a force of change in the world and i hate hate hate hate

please do elaborate on how transhumanism could become a force of change in the world

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

bartlebyshop posted:

Transhumanism is like libertarianism in that it could probably get a lot farther in the world if all its fans just stopped talking about it and embarrassing themselves.

I'm pretty sure the libertarians could at least succeed in creating a mercenary oligarchy, the basic short-term goals of libertarianism are practically achievable just nobody in their right mind wants to

Friendly Tumour posted:

this is gbs not dnd
pussy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

transhumanism is libertarianism if lassiez-faire economics meant everyone's a nine-dicked cyberdragon and no loving duh

• Locked thread