Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've recently gotten suckered back into gundam kits and the like, and am decades out of date on this stuff; are there like any good online places to grab kits I can't find in stores at reasonable prices? Or is it still like just look around at as many places as possible and hope they don't ship you a box that looks like a car ran over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pierson posted:

The latter unfortunately.

Alas, here I'd been hoping a revolution had happened.

Midjack posted:

Big Bad Toy Store, USA Gundam Store and Gundam Planet are both fairly reliable if you're in the US. Hobbylink Japan and 1999.co.jp are also good but you get hammered for overseas shipping.

Most of those are new to me, so I'll be sure to check them out! Hobbylink and 1999 are familiar, as are the shipping costs. Because of the state I live in; I am very, very, familiar with getting absolutely hosed by shipping costs.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So here's another weird question this thread might be able to help me out with - I decided to start trying to track down a kit of one of my favorite suits, only to find out that it was p-bandai exclusive which I guess makes finding it a complete pain in the rear end. I can, however, find a ton of seemingly similar (maybe even identical?) "injection molded high gloss edition" versions all over; is anyone familiar with this sort of thing and what the differences might be?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pierson posted:

Do you have a picture of the box or kit? It sounds like you've found either a 3rd-party copy (so a bootleg basically) or a special-coating variant. There's a few different kinds (clear semi-transparent coating, metallic finish, actual titanium finish on some of them) and they tend to jack the price up a bit and most don't look super-great.

It's the 1/144 HG Efreet Custom, none of the sites seem to use images that make a comparison particularly noticeable so I was hoping someone would know what the difference is. But just going by what you said there I'd assume it was the clear coating sort of thing?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alright, makes sense. Every single one I've seen is actually cheaper than the precious few non-metallic ones I've been able to spot. Maybe I'll give in and get it - but I won't be happy about it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh, do things get reprinted? I kind of assumed p-bandai stuff was once and done which is why I was trying so hard to find it now!. I could wait in that case, certainly there were a bunch of other kits for like 20 bucks I was intrigued by the affordability of for now. Maybe I'll get lucky in time. Whether it's because it gets reprinted or because one shows up on sale somewhere for a good price.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Huh, they actually sell kits of old chunky stripey hi-nu? Sick, I'm going to have to check that out, all I've been able to find are the newer version.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Might be the only one I do, but i'll make it a big one:

That thing owns and I immediately love it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I regret everything about my life but I did just sink a little over seventy dollars on a psycho gundam kit because I love mobile armors and always wanted a psycho gundam and saw that one site had it on sale. Incidentally the shipping on that poo poo made it cost only one or two dollars less than if I'd gotten it anywhere else, I checked. But by god did it save me a couple of dollars. But at least through all of this I was able to determine which sites would give me the best shipping.

EDIT: also for the record, this is still cheaper than driving all the way downtown and buying it from don quijote if they have it. Kits that cost 30+shipping online cost like 50-60 there for some reason.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 16, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

Is it the HG one? Because that one is pretty cool, really nice and solid.

Yeah, I'm sitting here hoping they'll release either a perfect zeong or psycho gundam MKII HG sometime soon now. Though, I should probably get a zeta kit just to pose the two together I guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

parabolic posted:

I am partaking in the rampant, baseless hope that this monstrosity coming out for the build fighters metaverse thing which has some serious Psycho mkII energy will result in some molds for them to use. I'm not holding by breath but it would be cool.

Also, god drat I shouldn't have started baldur's gate 3, it's eating all my building time but I can't stop.

Hopefully, though it'd be really disappointing if the only MKII kit we ever get is some kind of build fighters esque Psycho Amazing thing or whatever

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I technically have good news!

There was a kit in the 80s.

More recently, there was a P-Bandai Universal Unit release.

Neither is in 1/144, but if you're desperate, they are out there, and the Universal Unit looks alright. Probably costs an arm and a leg these days, mind.

lmao that 80's kit. I almost want that out of sheer novelty. I'd love one in the HGUC line though :argh: give me everything I want, Bandai!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MillennialVulcan posted:

Hell yeah, so glad they're continuing the line. I was expecting Maxter to be next. I imagine they'll at least run through Dragon, Bolt, and Shadow, maybe put out a new Shining too?

release the Nether Gundam, DO IT

If they release a new devil gundam kit I will die. Also I will buy it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd question how you'd do things in that order, but it's obviously possible with the help of Kyoji.

It'll be a lot easier to afford model kits as a ghost haunting my bank account since I won't have to pay for food anymore.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I absolutely punted on Backlogust, but my GM Moroccan Front Type came in the other day and I just realized it comes with water slides.

I don't recall those being particularly common in the HG line. Are they more common on the recent P-Bandai mints?

They've been in every modern HG kid I've had. I never put them on because I don't like them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

The build is great. The kit has a ton of moving parts so articulation and poseability are virtually unhinderd despite its bulk. Also if you're gonna get it then do so now, since only the first batch releases will come with the cape, which adds SO MUCH to the final look.

Dang, missing out on that cape hurts :( it looks really good though! I really want it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I just spent sixty dollars on a model kit. I'll just have to hope that it reprints with the cape or is still selling with the cape in the future.

Tangentially related but the local drugstore now sells gunpla so I have an HG barbatos.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tergaso posted:

You're telling me this man is a dishonorable rear end in a top hat?

It was rhetorical, it fits M'Quve's personality and role in the anime perfectly. I just find it silly that it was supposed to compete with the Gelgoog for mass-production.

It performed better than the gelgoog in style at least

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

The Gyan definitely feels like it was only put in there to meet contractual agreements on enemy counts. If it didn't have a silly fop as a pilot, I imagine it would have been forgotten just as quickly as all the monster of the week mobile armors that were only thrown in to keep the sponsors off the phones about all the non-marketable feelings and intrigue they dared put in the show. :v:

Speaking of: HGUC Big Zam when

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The image quality is poo poo because I finished at perfectly the right time of day where none of the lights or windows provide reasonable lighting to the shelves

I never expected barbatos to be so much smaller than the nu gundam! Easy kit to build, almost all of the parts cut incredibly cleanly which is nice. But I don't like how it had so many stickers and a very small number of polycaps, combined with how many of its parts just like, slide together vs. clicking or being held in place by other parts. Also, it doesn't come with any extra hands and the instructions are weird because they wait until the very last page to tell you about an entire second arm configuration which feels lame, because they don't give you enough parts to build a third arm - so you have to take the left arm apart to rebuild it and that sucks.

Given how cheap it is though, and how rad the IBO suits are, I'm probably going to get more eventually. I do love the Astaroth origin design.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Prof. Banks posted:

It'd be like three and a half times the size of a standard mobile suit and therefore undisplayable in my house, but if mash but so goddamn fast.

I had to look it up, but it is like twenty meters taller than the psycho gundam, go figure.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Pierson posted:

If I enjoyed making them and may want to display them in the future; cardboard box with bubble-wrap. If I don't particularly care for them try to give them away.

on the subject of cardboard boxes: what do you people do with yours? Do most people just bin them?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dreqqus posted:

I also compulsively horde leftover parts. One day I will be able to assemble the ultimate weapon, Gundam Hand-part.

I've had kits saved by hoarding leftover parts in the past! Granted that was mostly polycaps, but still.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Just because I have a never ending flow of questions: is there like, a substantial difference between the kits marketed as HGUC or whatever, and the ones that are just HG but are also kits from the UC series?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Still a bit too rich for my current situation. One day...

I, too, want gao gai gar. There's too much poo poo I want and not enough money to want it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chrome line posted:

It's been a while since I built a High Grade, especially one from more than a few years ago. I forgot how much quicker they go than the kits I've been building lately, even one as big as this

I might pick up another kit in the next week, but that's the last of my backlog

I think it looks pretty neat - but, also, I think taking a photo of it in the box like that is really cool! It looks like it'd be easier to control the lighting than most situations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It finally arrived! Barbatos box included for scale:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

With my inexpert eye it looks like it might be a modified barbatos crotch or something plugging into the groin of the schwarzette proper? There's like six loving barbatos kits but they're basically just pipes where you plug in the side bits and the front plate, and then the spinal bit with the tubes ball joints in and it has a hook to connect to the torso. No clue what it's using for the like, crotch plate (possibly a barbatos assplate?) there but it looks like they just shoved some vents or something instead of the intended skirts for the side bits.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I underestimated just how big this thing would be

Also almost all of it is made of like, the hardest, stiffest, plastic. The kind of stuff that usually like, the shell pieces of a gundam is made of.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

And I'm finally done, complete with least flattering photo possible:

It was really fun for the most part! A really sturdy thing too. My only real complaints about it is that I don't like the screws, they feel entirely unncessary and the torso just did not want to seem to fit together right. The front half doesn't like, actually plug in or really connect to anything, it's just got two tiny little hooks that slip around a joint, and half of the little waist flaps clip into the other half but the actual body piece has loving nothing. You just kind of have to press them together and, probably due to ineptitude on my part, the left side just didn't want to securely close so it's got a tiny bit of a gap that I don't like. Also, due to the fact that it has so many big hollow pieces and sliding bits for the transformation a lot of its joints (the wrists especially) are super loose which makes it hard to pose, and the head just kind of keeps falling into the chest.

My cats, however, loved it and kept trying to steal its limbs. Here's Bob helping.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nerobro posted:

That guy feels like a stunt gundam. Like Xi or Penelelope. Just huge.

Maybe I'd like them better painted? Maybe becuase it's an old model and feels... incomplete or toy like when done?

Kyshatria feels like a much better "I'm big as hell and 144 scale".

That said, I"m really happy they are still making the Psycho Gundam. Stunt models are good.

Toy-like describes it perfectly, tbh. Holding it, it feels like an old megazord toy I had as a kid, what with the big chunky limbs and like 90% just hard plastic shell that slides around so it can transform. I like it a lot because I just love the psycho gundam and mobile armours in general; but I think I do like regular kits better? I'd still kill for an MKII, Big Zam or a new Perfect Zeong though. It'd be nice if I had the talent and time to paint it too, but for now just having it on display is good enough for me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Warmachine posted:

The moment of dissonance for me comes when I pick up the bigger toyetic kits. I know roughly what the 'weight' of an HG is in my hand, and things like the Messer feel 'right' because they do in fact have more plastic and there aren't many empty voids inside the shell. The designer was doing some fantastic drugs when they came up with the chest cavity of the Messer that allows for sick ab crunches.

But if I pick up something with more hollow space inside like a Kshatriya, my brain senses the difference in expected vs actual weight. I'm betting the Psycho Gundam has that effect too--even more pronounced because it is a transforming kit and has to have even more voids inside.

Funny enough, the MG Delta Plus feels right when I hold it because it is both hyper dense and transforming, since pretty much all of its transformation comes down to pivots made on absolutely nutty numbers of hinges. The chest is like 70% hinges by volume.

tl;dr the weight of the kit is important.

I agree and it's why almost every complaint I have about the kit comes down to its torso! The limbs? They're great. Fun to build; real chunky but solid things. But then the torso is just *hollow*, and it's only really made of three pieces. You build the front half of the chest, the front half of the waist; and then the entire back of the thing is one big piece where you screw like two support struts into it and then just push everything together. And it's weird because there doesn't feel like there's any real need for that? The head and shoulderpads fold into the like, upper 25% of the chest, the hands fold into the wrists (that's why the wrist joints are so weirdly loose) and otherwise there isn't much actually collapsing into the torso. So it's just hollow for the sake of it - when it feels like they could have designed it more like a traditional kit where you build like a torso block, then build on that, instead of making it like a big chunky super robot toy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh, nice! Watermelon 00 looks way cooler than I ever would have thought.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So it's been a poo poo week for me, and some of my family came to town to help deal with some poo poo. We wound up going out to Don Quijote in honolulu.

The display of limited edition sets were neat, they had a bunch of one piece and digimon kits too.

IDK if these are still hard to find anywhere else but there was like, a literal wall of the GWitch gundams. Shwarzette was off to the left.

Pictured here in lovely bad lighting vision is a gift I was given. I like the devil gundam and while clear kits aren't typically something I do, it looked cool in the display. Though I think it's just a reprint of the old kit in different colours?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What even are those 30 minute missions things?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're HG-quality (and sized) gunpla kits with a shitload of accessory slots, and various weapon and part packs available to make your own neat robots.

They're a terrible creative addiction too, stay away or you'll join us down a deep dark rabbit hole of customization... :shepface:

edit: Here's one of mine from a little while back;

There's a Spinatio Knight under there. Only with the arm-mounting backpack from the Revanova, the arm-mounting joints from the dog Exa-mech (Which suck, incidentally), arms from a Spinatio Ninja I turned into a dragon, and more arms from a Cielnova that got a new set of arms itself from the Big Arms/Cannon set.

And weapons from random sets I had leftover from other builds. :shepface:

If I wasn't still chasing my gundam dreams and also poor as gently caress I'd probably jump right on that, I thought it was just some new mobile game I was missing.

Deeters posted:

drat, I've been to Honolulu twice this year on work trips and didn't know this existed. It looks cool. This is what I get for traveling with jocks.

It's just kind of sitting there like five minutes away from ala moana and the store its self has a weird like, grimy k-mart vibe. If I had any spendable money on me I'd have bought so many gundams though. I wanted the RG Gao Gai Gar so bad but it was 87 dollars.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It's time for more poo poo photos.

My guess was right this is the '95. It was actually a pretty nostalgic build because I guess a lot of the kits I used to make before getting back into this poo poo recently were of that era because it was real familiar in terms of general design trends and such. The polycaps were all so tiny, and there were like zero extra parts, not even any spare polycaps aside from the one used for mounting on stands.

This image really doesn't do it justice - but I just have to say I really like the colours this thing was made in! The red is a nice like, candy red and the yellow/orange bits are basically the exact shade you'd see like construction lights or reflectors made out of; it's great. The white, too, has an almost pearly sheen to it and is more milky rather than clear, while the black is more of a super dark purple than the weird foggy brown a lot of translucent black plastics tend to be. My photos are garbage but I actually like it a lot.

The kit is the kit, however. I really like the arms, the feet are super stable. The chest is actually pretty cool too. But then the rest of the torso is just what the gently caress. I feel like if they really cared to, they could fix up everything between the legs and the chest and it'd be a pretty nice thing to have. Also the transformation is a bit of a joke, you have to take its spine off, replace it with a longer spine, then you just bend the knees and stick a faceguard on the crotch face.

Still though, much like the psycho gundam before it: I do love mobile armours and especially the devil gundam so I can't say I'm disappointed by it. Especially since family gave it to me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Arione posted:

Pearl City DQ has an Epyon on display in that size 7 ft or whatever. The selection isnt as good tho, they have the P-Bandai Ambassador of Japan kit right now for like $20. PC DQ also doesnt carry PG like the Kaheka store done either.

I live down in waianae so it can be a pain in the rear end for me to go out to either, but I really need to check out the other stores more often; the one down in honolulu was mostly PG stuff and while they're fine, I just prefer HG. I did go to pearl ridge to pick up some gifts for my family before they departed and holy poo poo half of that mall is just nothing but nerd stores now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I want that dunbine real bad, but money is tight. It's affordable, but I need to buy groceries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

To celebrate a pretty decent paycheck that came in, I ordered that loving dunbine. With how people I know have complained about pbandai I was expecting the prices and shipping to be insane but like. Man. It's cheaper than most sites.